One Cuppa Chai

By SuprahStar

Meet lazy, head-in-the-clouds, sarcastic introvert Shyla Kumar Rao and her adolescent dreamboat crush- child... More

•1•
°2°
•3•
°4°
•5•
°6°
•7•
°8°
•9•
°10°
•11•
°12°
•13•
°14°
•15•
°16°
•17•
°18°
•19•
°20°
•21•
°22°
°24°

•23•

203 9 7
By SuprahStar

Chapter 12

Dethroned from the Pinnacle of Coolness

When I had enrolled for PE classes the other day, most lethargically if I might add, I'd signed my death warrant.

General Health PE was not as flowery as it sounded. At first, I was perfectly relaxed during the warm-up, doing little skips and torso openers when the instructor called a girl up in the front. She puffed in her stomach and bent down to touch her toes.

Pfft. Of course, I can do that! And then considering that I was sporting these spongy, lovable sports sneakers which were cushioning my feet delicately-

That was when the girl began to twist into agonising shapes. I blinked at Elastigirl, frozen into solid ice when the instructor gave a piercing whistle from behind.

"You, with that checked shirt, get a move on!" She hollered.

I didn't need to turn back to confirm that she'd just singled me out. I was the only one, standing erect as the Statue of Liberty in between the herd of students. I quickly ducked down to the floor with a huff, struggling to pull my hips up with a grunt of a wounded tiger.

To my comfort, a few other students struggling with the postures, but seem to be faring better than me. I dragged my knee over the ground and up into the air."One, two, three, four...Keep going!" The lady barked.

After a few more minutes of similar strenuous torture, she'd let us go... For a water break!

Soul rejuvenation drink, more like.

A change of clothes later, we had lunch which I was ever so grateful for. My box of dry lemon rice tasted like manna from heaven after that ordeal. I scooped a spoonful for a humongous bite while one of the girls beside me dragged her chair over to the side noisily. Since I basically stuck like a wad of gum to Isha, inadvertently I befriended people she had already been acquainted with in class.

There was nothing to complain about.

They were last-benchers and shared some of their sumptuous goodies with me. Lunchboxes were being swapped and chatter growing more absurdly louder. I chewed on another spoon of my food quietly. I was fine with the chatter while I was all by myself with this one nice kid but then now that the population had multiplied, I didn't think I had much to add to the conversation.

"So," One of the girls began, stabbing her upma with a spoon, "how many singles here?"I recognized her from the previous day of inconsequential chatter. But what was her name? Kaila? Kesha? Kasturibai?

"Please Kavya," her friend muttered, "It's so overrated to spin around with one guy, I just find it so cliche that--"Now that she'd confirmed that she was a bland, lonely girl, she was brushed past.

"What about you?" Kavya asked Isha with a smug simper. 

"Oh, god no, have never been in a relationship," She replied flatly, "But you guys tell me if there's anything juicy I need to know."

"You, NO WAY. You don't look single at all," The interrogator continued, "I mean look at you! Come on!"

Yes, use reverse psychology on her and squeeze the truth out.

I half-enjoyed the drama, looking from person to person. Isha simply rolled her eyes.

I didn't like Kavya now, that she was prodding people to spit out their personal stuff in a few days of acquaintance. She was literally probing everyone like a private detective.

But of course, now that this topic was brought up, one brave girl with a mousy frame pulled a picture from her wallet, which went around in circulation with a few whistles and murmurs. The picture was passed on to me and I grabbed it, hoping to see an innocent passport picture of a young man.

"Vinod," She specified just when the picture came into my clutches. I almost spat my water out when I saw a polaroid of her , osculating with a scrawny young guy. I thrust the picture to the girl next to me, gripped by a fit of cough. I needed a month's worth of bleach to wipe that picture out of my mind.

 "Aww," She cooed, retrieving the polaroid, "She's crying?"

"I choked on the water," I managed to say, wiping my eyes clean. 

"If that picture made you cry, then you're probably recalling some lost love in your past," Kavya decided.

 "Um, no-It's really no-"

"Maybe you recalled one of those moments with him. Wow, who was he?"

"No, seriously," I muttered when she broke out into a fit of laughter. 

Great, now I was labelled as the silent, lost romantic, sobbing in her heart of hearts for her one true love.

Of course, I couldn't correct them unless I was ready to tell the mousy girl that I was slightly repulsed by her make-out techniques. Never.

Kavya's friend huddled her legs together while her friend popped in next to her, supporting her weight behind the arm of the chair. "I'm done with life. Next, we have LB, I cannot handle her boring lecture now."

Legal Business Aspects had syllabus that was drier than the Sahara Desert. And the professor didn't give a flying fig about a concept called 'audibility'. She just murmured words below her breath and pointed to a clueless last last-bencher to repeat the concept.

"I know. And she comes to college every day. Doesn't she have a life? Nephew's wedding? House warming party? A tiff with the house help?"

Kavya's other friend, who was slurping noisily on an empty juice box, slammed her fist on the table, making steel tiffin boxes clutter in its wake, "No! I refuse to let her suck my soul with her one hour lecture!"

"Shall we just freaking check out if there's anything worthwhile in the canteen? Tuvana was telling me about those sample blueberry muffins she's going to bake today," This girl called Sareena said. She was pulling her hair into a tight knot and i gave her an inconspicuous once over when she wasn't looking. She was wearing these figure-hugging yoga pants that had a transparent slit in the side. I didn't even know stuff like that existed. 

"Great," Kavya jumped up. Being a hostelite who'd been surviving on packet food for the last week, I empathised with her. And her enthusiasm was already pulling all of us out of our respective wooden benches to bunk a class.

"Guys, I don't want to come. You guys carry on," the mousy girl stated politely, "Vinod is messaging me, he's free only for now."

Kavya simply dragged her along with us, I didn't mind bunking but the fact of the matter was that I  never had a few bucks with me. I couldn't forever keep hovering around while they ordered food. I slumped into one of the chairs and reserved benches next to me with their bags.Isha suddenly popped into a bench next to me with two brownies in her hand, thumping down a plate before me.

"I didn't order anything--Maybe it's Kavya's--"

"No, I only got it. Don't you like dessert?You were telling me the other day?"

"Yah,but..." I hesitated, wondering if I should accept it.

"We have around a hundred bucks left. Should we get anything else?" She asked, rummaging through her bag. I smiled.I'm just touched at the moment.

"Nope.I'm full."

"Okay fine.I'll just keep this away as stash the next time we bunk," she decided. 

By the way, the day wasn't as bland as I'd expected it to be. I was just exiting college after the final bell; a model example of a sincere law student who'd gone missing for three classes out of five. Only when I stepped out, I realised that there was a summer spell of a drizzling shower that was very soon magnifying into a full-blown catastrophe. I piled along with the others into the shade of the bus stand. Still, water continued to drip through the crevices of the sheets. Usually, a line of sports bikes punctually assembled in front of the gates even before we could flounder out. And a few audacious whistles and catcalls accompanied them.

But today, it seemed like the downpour had discouraged most of the wannabe suitors. I wanted nothing more than to pick the next bus, but the more public transport that passed by, the more they seemed to appear like a can of stuffed sardines.

The buses were also perilously tipping to the side, considering that a few schoolboys were casually hanging off the window bars. I usually traipsed my way even into the most crowded of buses, but now considering the number of people, I knew it could smell more pleasant than Satan's armpits.

The uproar of the skies had begun to subside after a few minutes, leaving slushy plashes of murk through the paths. I glanced distastefully at my surroundings. A few of the girls were already dialling for cabs. But as usual, my mother didn't bless me with some chump change in my pocket. Below the canopy of the bus terminal, mulling over my woes until most of the crowd that relentlessly kelt pushing me for the shade had almost evaporated.

No buses in my vicinity as well. The skies were lit in sombre tones of grey and the traffic was becoming more and more scarce except for a few bikers in colourful raincoats. I shifted on my feet and crossed my arms over my chest impatiently.

The only company I had of now was an old man who was sitting back relaxedly in the terminal. I don't even think he had places to be.

 Just then, a familiar black car came into purview and stopped right before me.

I scurried back to not let the mire spray over me when the glass lowered. Immediately, loud metal rock began booming from the stereo. My eyes connected back to the beaming face who'd just reached out to unlock the door.

How could I not recognise those angular features and vivacious, brownish eyes?

"You?" I exclaimed, shocked and a little delighted. Just a little.

"Stop gaping and get in, you'll get wet. I mean, I have no problem with that though," Kabir commented with a stellar smile.

I brushed away his flirtatious comment, "What are you doing here?"

"Your mom sent me," He said, combing his fingers into the casual jumble of hair gracing his forehead.

I shook my head, smiling, "No way."

He tugged at the straps of my bag through the window from my involuntary hands, "Well, your mom informed Sylvia of picking you up who told David and so I'm here. Same thing."

I scoffed and leaned in to peer at him, my frown slowly melting away like water splashed on wet paint. I clutched the handle of the door, contemplating in silence until I glanced at his amused expression at my undecidedness.

Oh, to hell with it.

I bent down to insert myself into the warm leather seats-I probably didn't yield my frame low enough to squeeze in, because I thumped the side of my temple against the door.

"Careful!"

"Ya, ya," I muttered, masking my embarrassment and cradling my throbbing head. I turned sideways to look at Kabir glancing at me dubiously. The sky began rumbling again and there was a heavy downpour without warning.

"Wow, that was quick," Kabir whistled, immediately switching on the wipers to wash away the steady rivulet of water on the glass pane.

"I'll be dead if ma comes to know I'm with a boy.No questions. Just murder."

"Relax. We are going straight home. If you want I'll drop you at the end of the lane," He said, reversing the car.

I turned down the volume of the music that seemed like a hollow gong going off into my eardrums. Kabir had veered skillfully into the side of the lane and I pulled up my window, muting the sounds of the traffic and the incessant shower of rain. The windows were stained with pelting beads of rainwater. Now that the glass was rolled up, we were oblivious to the beeping of horns and the pleasant earthly odour that accompanied the shower.

The ambience felt very intimate this way, considering the proximity of the leather seats. I almost jumped when Kabir's hand reached out to change the gear. I'm sure I flinched, maybe he didn't notice or just ignored it.

It was a good thing his eyes were on the road, which meant I could make myself comfortable. I bunglingly adjusted the air filter, causing a small figurine over the dashboard to topple over. Kabir glimpsed down at it while I hastily replaced it back in its initial spot, dusting my hands for no apparent reason.

Why was he not talking? I began to go through my mental list of things to talk about in awkward reticence.It wasn't awkward for him apparently, because he was simply tapping the steering wheel to the music.

Especially when his scent was actually taking over the confined space. I inhaled subtly, the most familiar fragrance of soap, a heady breeze of musky cologne mixed with a very peculiar odour of cabbage...

Cabbage?

"Do you smell something weird?" I demanded, sniffing into the air again this time. Kabir spared a glance before diverting his attention back to the road, "What kind of smell?"

"I don't know...Rotten cabbage or something?" I murmured, sniffing the air.

"Garbage? I come to pick you up and you're telling me I smell like rotten garbage? Gee, thanks Shyla," Kabir shook his head in mock sorrow.

"Cabbage. I said CABBAGE."

"Oh, that," Kabir brightened, "that's because there is some vegetable grocery stuff in the back seat. I just bought it before coming to get you. Otherwise, I would have been here ten minutes ago. Sorry about that."

"Someone coming to get me today was great anyway. No problem. But why get groceries in this rain?"

"Since I told David that I'm going to come and get you from college, he dumped his chores on me basically," Kabir replied, tapping his fingers against the steering wheel to the music. Consequently, the car jerked to a standstill at the signal.

"You're weird."

"Because I bought cabbage?"

"No, it's just..." I sighed. It was something lodged in my throat that I wanted to vomit since day one but then I was wary of his reply.

"I came to your match that day, right?"

"Yes.Right."

Now since we were stuck at the signal, he rested his forearms on the wheel, his mocha brown irises focusing on me.

I gulped a mouthful of air. 

Nervous? Hah. Who's nervous? Not me.

"I saw the amount of decent female attention you're getting. I mean..."

Kabir's brows elevated an inch but he said nothing, forcing me to continue.

"I mean, they're just cheering for you and this one girl who gave you your cricket kit and stuff...I mean, she seemed-"

"Tanya, my first crush in middle school I told you about. Hot, wasn't she?"

I stopped short, narrowing my eyes at him.

Kabir grinned, "Sorry. Please continue."

"Ya, she is. Whatever. And you have a lot of girls to choose from. They're just there before you, waiting to pounce."

Kabir scoffed at that. 

"And I'm just--I mean, ya I'm awesome-But why would you do stuff for me specifically?That's..."

Only then did I notice that his smile had washed away. He simply locked his eyes with mine.

The torturous pound of metal music was still playing, layering the silence. Then he slowly turned to the wheel, turning on the ignition and driving into the lanes of the city.

"What?" I demanded, unable to digest the silence.

"What do you want me to say," Kabir laughed, "You insist on asking me stuff that'll make you uncomfortable. Then you'll run away."

"I won't feel uncomfortable," I avowed.

He sighed, swerving down the lane. "Tell me or I'll whack your head with my bag." I warned, tired of waiting, "Whatever it is, just be forward about it."

"I seriously don't get what I'm supposed to tell you."

"What does that even mean?"

"Okay, then. Why didn't you tell me you had a crush on me and that you broke your walkman deliberately for me to fix?"

"What? How the hell did you know all that?" I blurted and instantly regretted accepting it.

"Ha, that was just a hunch until now.But, anyways, you're not the most subtle person on the planet."

"Ha, ha, thank you. Anyways, you can drop me off behind our colony. Don't go that far."

I fluffed my backpack in my lap, slightly miffed.

For once, I wanted to dunk his smug good-looking face into a bucket of wet paint. Just as I'd asked, he slowed down towards the side of the lane and turned the key off in the ignition.

"Okay, thanks. Thank you for picking me up from college, " I recited with a brittle, wry smile.

I plucked his hand from the steering and shook it like I was exiting an interview. His fingers immediately enveloped mine like the pincers of a shellfish. I attempted to pull back my hand but it didn't budge. "Also, I'll return the favour when I learn to drive a car," I muttered belatedly and he chuckled.

"Now if you'll excuse me-" I tugged again unsuccessfully and huffed, "This is seriously not funny."

Kabir tilted his head, his mocha eyes bright and sparkling, "Hmm. So you finally demand answers after three years, how very interesting..."

"Listen, I..."

"Do you want to talk?" He asked lowly, just when I successfully freed my hand from his grip.

"We are talking now na!"

"I'll take that as a yes," Kabir replied.

"Oi, what are you doing?" I jerked back in my seat in the suddenness of the vehicle jerking to life.

"Finding us a nice place to talk, obviously."

"What, no, no, no! Take me back! My mom will be back anytime now."

"Ah, no. Your mom will be late today. She has a PTA meeting, Sylvia was telling me."

"I know that. I have chores. Stop!" 

The car came to an abrupt halt, "Sure?"

" Ya."

"Really?" This time, the car pounced forward another inch and stopped.

"Kabir!" I rolled my eyes and then laughed when he did the exact same thing again.

"You don't want to talk!" he accused.

I let out a huff, "We will, we have all the time in the world."

"You're running away again."

"No, I'm not!"

"Terrace tonight?"

"My mom peeps into my room before bedtime."

"Before music class?"

 "My dad wants to drop me to class during the weekends so no."

I really wanted to go-No, I was dying to go but there was such a high possibility that my mother might come home sooner than expected and I'll have to deal with the music. And if tell him, he won't get it. And I don't understand why he doesn't either. His sister is not even allowed to step out of the house after six unlike him.

But he just looked at me with a wistful smile, hand brought his hand up to his heart as if I'd stabbed him in the chest and I rolled my eyes. 

I'd never caught a boy's attention in my life. Bellboys and waiters, yes but never one normal boy my age let alone the guy I had a thing for.

I didn't want him to think that I took him for granted so I'd done the one thing that I thought I should do. A quick farewell peck on the cheek. So I leaned over for this purpose.

"Did you leave something here?" Kabir asked and I realised that I'd frozen in place like a stiff block of wood, half bent at the waist.

"You only brought your backpack though."

I coloured as he peered through the cup holder and the draw.

Okay, I don't have the guts after all.

I slowly eased back into my seat. "Nothing, I'll see you in music class!Thanks!"

Before he could reply, I'd taken off. I tried not to run like an excited five-year-old on a Christmas morning but after the car was out of the vicinity, I was scampering down the lane like an idiot.

While I saw a pair of slippers at the doorstep, I froze momentarily and then recovered, immediately recognizing the dull, canvas shoes that seemed like it was polished a century ago.

My dad was back apparently and not my mother. What a relief. My dad was the most harmless person in my life, he'd never pestered me to study or badger me if I'm late or chide my unambitious sloth-like nature.

Without a worry in the world, I shuffled my slippers off near the staircase and reached for the doorbell. The door was peeled open after initial fumbling and I offered a customary smile to my father who of all times seemed a little concerned than usual.

"It was pouring outside! Did you come by yourself?" He asked me. I marvelled at how his expression only revealed concern while my mother mouthing the very same words would be layered with a generous sprinkle of suspicion.

"Uhmm, I--" I know my dad would've not minded Kabir dropping me off at home. We were all still toddlers in his eyes. But the message will be promptly delivered to his spouse which I wouldn't want, ever.

"Okay, come in, first of all. It's become so late, I was just thinking--"

Quickly, I scampered into the living room thankfully. Live cricket scores were being telecasted on the screen and I paused midway. Kabir left a 20-20 series to pick me up from college? Is he okay?

"Go dry your hair," My father mumbled before resting back on the couch.

My hair was drier than the Sahara desert but he didn't need to know that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 46.2K 37
𝐓𝐰𝐨 𝐬𝐡𝐲 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐝𝐬 𝐭𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐟𝐚𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬.. 𝐖𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐦 𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦?? 𝐖𝐢𝐥�...
200K 15.5K 48
A Clumsy girl, crushing over a guy since 4 years yet never talked to him. Now, when finally she has his attention, her crazy and unfiltered self is o...
238K 12.5K 37
"Meera"- A decent girl, in final year of her graduation is trying hard to cope up with her insecurities, studies and orthodox family. Though like he...
79K 5K 81
For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul. -by Judy Garland. ...