The Thorny Rose (a severus sn...

By star_lover

My name is Scarlet-Rose Potter and this is the story of how I fell in love with the Greasy Bat of the Dungeon... More

The Thorny Rose (a severus snape romance/ harry potter)
The Room
Help Me
Past, Present and Future
She's Where?!
The First of Many

Memories

1.3K 57 18
By star_lover

Still 1997. . . For Now.

Severus sat in his favourite armchair by the fire, the map lay open on the coffee table. He knew where she would be when she arrived back to the correct year, It was just a matter of waiting now. Staring into the flames a glass of firewhiskey on the end table next to him he glanced quickly at the photograph on the mantel piece before returning his gaze to flickering flames in the fireplace. His mind had travelled back to the past, relieving the day Rose Weasley sat herself beside him.

Memories of 1977. . . . .

SEVERUS’ POV

I glanced up from my place at the front of the classroom to see Potter and his gang of goons come waltzing through the door. Lily and the new girl came in behind them chatting away to each other. So she was a Gryffindor, figures. Bet Black’s got his womanizing sights set on her. I turned away, looking down at my textbook in front of me. He was welcome to her as far as I was concerned.

“Oi Rose, come sit next to me” I heard the filthy mutt call out across the classroom.

“No thanks” she replied, I realised she was standing right behind me and I spun round in my chair to look at her, I couldn’t help myself, pardon the cliché but her voice was like an angels, her long black her tumbled down her back in perfect curls and her piercing emerald green eyes were staring straight into mine. I flushed before spinning round and ignoring her. Though I did glance at her out of the corner of my eye as she sat down next to me.

“Rosie, you don’t wanna sit next to Snivellus, you might catch his greasiness” Black yelled again as his cronies laughed in the background.

“Shut up Sirius, don’t be so mean” Rose yelled back. I stared at her, why was she defending me? She didn’t even know my name! she caught me staring at her and I swiftly returned my attention to my textbook.

“Hi I’m Rose” she said. I tried to ignore her. “What’s your name?” she finally asked. I decided to answer her. I was raised not dragged up after all. Unlike the dimwits sitting a few rows behind us.

“Severus” I answered not looking at her.

“Well Severus it’s a pleasure to meet you. And don’t worry about Sirius, he’s just jealous I chose to sit next to you and not him. He’s been trying to get me to be ‘his girl’ since I met him night before last” she placed a hand on my arm as she spoke. I was about to say something when Professor Slughorn decided to start the lesson. When the bell rang I was gathering my things together when they came up.

“Come on Rosie, much longer in his company and you might turn into a greasy freak. Wouldn’t want that now would we. Not when your so gorgeous as you are” this came from the filthy mongrel. I sneered at him and was just about to say something when another voice jumped in before I got the chance.

“Just leave him alone Sirius, he hasn’t done anything to you, stop being such a bully” with that she turned around and looked at me, “come on Severus, why don’t you show me around”

“What makes you think I’d want to spend any time with you? I don’t even know who you are, just the fact that you’re a Gryffindor and friends with these idiots makes me not want to be near you. Just stay away from me” and with that I grabbed my bag and stormed out of the room, regretting instantly what I had said. She was the only person other than Lily and Professor Dumbledore who had ever shown me kindness and i'd just completely ruined it.

Back in 1997. . . .

Severus remained staring into the fire, the only difference now was the disappearance of the firewhiskey and the tears glittering in his eyes,

“I’m sorry Rosie” he spoke gazing again at the picture on the mantel, it was a picture of him and Rose taken at christmas time. He stood up grabbing the picture in both hands, he stroked the glass gently before placing it back in it's spot on the mantel and dragging himself to bed.

Meanwhile in 1977. . .

LILY’S POV

I stared open mouthed at the door through which Severus had just exited. I had never known him to be that nasty to anyone, normally he just looked at everyone with cool indifference, as if he really didn’t care if they existed or not. I looked back at Rose to see tears glittering in her eyes.

“Are you alright Rosie?” I asked, throwing my arm around her shoulder, all the boys looked a bit uncomfortable about a girl crying in front of them, I shot Remus a look and he quickly grabbed Rose’s bag and followed us out of the classroom. Rose and I had a free period next so I took her bag from Remus and led her up to the common room while the others dashed off to their next lesson, looking relieved to be away from an emotional girl. I tugged Rose through the portrait hole and led her to a seat by the fire.

“I’m not feeling so good” she moaned, I watched as she stood up and walked up the stairs heading to our dormitory. I didn’t know what was going on or why she was so upset. Severus was right, she didn’t know him so why was she so hurt over the things he had said to her. I had to get to the bottom of this so I decided to go find Severus and talk to him. Even knowing Rose for just over twenty-four hours I already felt a strong connection to her, like we were supposed to be friends, and truthfully she was the first girlfriend I’d ever had. My sister thought I was a freak and refused to have anything to do with me, especially now she was happily married to that hideous Dursley. I could feel in my gut that Rose and I were going to be closer than sisters and so for that reason I went to find Sev and demand an explanation for his behaviour. I grabbed my bag and headed out the portrait, I knew exactly where I’d find him.

SEVERUS’ POV

I looked up quickly when I heard the door open, there was only one person who knew I liked to come here.

“Lily?” I asked as I watched her come through the door, closing it gently behind her.

“Hello Sev, we need to talk” she said sitting in the chair opposite me. I closed my book setting it carefully on the table in front of us. “Explain yourself” I glanced at her before looking down at my feet, I knew what she was talking about.

“We’re going to miss class” I stated, trying to change the subject

“It’s only care of magical creatures I’m sure no one will mind”

“What do you want me to say?” I asked looking up at her now.

“I want to know why you were so nasty to Rose in potions. She didn’t deserve that, she was only being nice. And I don’t know why or how seeing as she only just met you but I think she might have a little crush on you” I stared at her aghast before mumbling under my breath.

“What? Speak up Sev, I can’t understand a word you say when you mumble” I looked her in the eye before repeating myself.

“I said, I met her night before last” that confused Lily and I watched her mull it over before she started asking questions.

“How did you meet her then? I thought McGonagall escorted her straight to us?” I growled slightly when she said us knowing exactly who she meant.

“I was the one to take her to the hospital wing” I said, that surprised her,

“She was in the hospital wing? Tell me everything, no detail is too small”

“Well, I was sat here two night’s ago reading a book when this girl just appeared in front of me. I have no idea where she came from or how she got here but when I asked her who she was her only reply was ‘help me’ before she collapsed. I only just managed to get to her in time to stop her hitting her head on the fireplace. I picked her up and carried her to the hospital wing. When I went back later that night to find out who she was she had already been moved. And now of course I realise she was moved to join the Gryffindors.” My lip curled up in disgust as I finished my story. Lily looked thoughtful then, as if she was trying to figure out a particularly difficult question.

“That’s extremely curious” she finally spoke. “All I know about her is her name is Rose Weasley and she is a transfer from Beauxbatons. But why start a day late? And how did she end up in here?” they were some good questions, one’s I had been asking myself.

“Regardless, you need to apologize to her” I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Lily tell me I had to apologize.

“Don’t look at me like that Severus Snape. You really hurt her feelings, in fact she’s probably crying her eyes out right now” I was uncomfortable about that last bit, I never meant to truly hurt her, I just thought it best she stayed away from me. She was new here and I didn’t want her having Potter and his followers turn against her simply because she spoke to me too much. On the other hand I knew that Lily was right, I did need to apologize. And explain myself. I wasn’t good for  her and she needed to know that now rather than later.

SCARLET’S POV

I heard someone open the door and I quickly closed my eyes pretending to be asleep.

“Rose, Rosie? Severus is here to see you. Are you awake?” I heard Lily say, I sat up and looked at her.

“Tell him to leave me alone. I don’t want to see him.” I stated, sniffing slightly. Lily came and sat down beside me.

“Oh come on Rose, he didn’t mean it, he’s come to apologize” I looked at he before making my mind up, I mean really, I had suffered worse from him when he was my Potions Professor, so why did that little thing upset me so much? ‘Because he isn’t your Potions Professor right now he’s not even a Death Eater’ a voice answered in my head.

“Fine” I answered “But if he’s says anything nasty, I won’t be held responsible for my actions” I claimed off my bed and walked across to the mirror.

“I’ll let him know you’ll be down in a minute” Lily said before leaving, knowing I needed a minute alone. I thought back to my first night here, it had been so awkward calling Lily and James mum and dad, at first they looked at me like I had about six heads before I managed to come up with some garbled nonsense about how they looked just like my parents when they were that age. Technically speaking it was a lie, I just neglected to mention that they in fact were my parents and I was their daughter trapped in the past. I thought of the Rat that always followed them around and my blood boiled, all I wanted to do was  point my wand at him and cast the killing curse every time I saw him, but Dumbledore had warned me not to do anything in the past that would damage the future and I knew deep down that if I ended that sorry man’s life it would eventually doom us all, no one would be there to save us from Voldemort in the future. It was just the hardest thing I had to do though, knowing if I killed him perhaps my parents would live and I could be raised a normal child, and Harry, Harry would have real parents not live with those revolting Dursleys I am unfortunately related to.

I dragged myself out of my thoughts before glancing at myself in the mirror, I quickly ran a brush through my hair and fixed my make up before running down the stairs to confront the younger version of the man I had loved for the past three years.

Continue Reading