Dragons of Marak: Book 1, Win...

Od ccotarobles

[Revised as of 10/01/2020] Ana Perez comes from wealth and power. But her father, a business tycoon in the la... Viac

# 1
#2
#3
#4
#5
#6
#7
#8
#9
#10
#11
#12
#13
#14
#15
#16
#17
#18
#19
#20
#22
#23
#24
#25
#26
#27
Epilogue
Author's Note

#21

24 6 0
Od ccotarobles

 Several feverish minutes later, Ana stepped inside her father's factory with four representatives from the City Worker's Union. They sat in a conference room with an ocean-facing window, at a mottled brown wooden table.

The workers had undoubtedly not been prepared for someone to actually negotiate with them. Sure, they'd wanted it. They'd been making demands for weeks, holding marches on the factory for three days straight, yet hearing nothing but cruel silence from Perez industries. They must have thought today would be more of the same.

"Well, as we stated at our meeting, we have four terms that must be met before we return to work," one man said. He was an older gentleman, with thinning brown hair, glasses, and a wiry body.

All of the people at the conference table with Ana were men, and all were native Marakian, though that didn't surprise her. Alongside the older gentleman who had spoken sat another older gentleman, and two younger fellows were across the table from them. All wore commoner clothes, which meant no cravat, no frock coat but in some cases a sack coat, and patchy trousers.

The group of four appeared to be very nervous, despite their confident display of emotion out front.

"And when we say require," one of the younger men leaned forward. "We mean it."

"Right. Our union won't agree to anything less than those four terms."

Ana smiled. "Very good then," she said. "Because Perez industries is willing to grant you those terms."

The younger man's eyebrows rose with surprise. He'd expected her to fight him on at least one point.

"Just like that?" he said.

"Yeah."

One of the older men took a briefcase and set it on the table. He unclasped it, opened it up, and took out some sheets of paper.

"The legal documents are all here," he said. "I expect you'll want to read over them, or have your lawyers do so, which is fine. Just be aware we can't return to work until they are signed and delivered to us at my house - I'm the union president. You'll find the address on the first sheet of paper."

The man slid the papers across the table to Ana. For only four terms, the stack was quite large. She thumbed through the pages, counting 10 sheets of paper in total, and all looked to be filled with writing in small font, with little to no whitespace.

She flipped through the pages a second time, this time more thoroughly, glossing over some of the writing.

The owner agrees to share a report of all sales every month with the worker's union, to be delivered to the designated worker's representative by noon on the fifth of every month...

Each worker shall maintain a card monthly and shall record daily the following information: time he arrived at work in the morning, time he began his lunch break, time he returned to work from lunch, and time he left work for home.

At the bottom of the stack of paper, on the very last sheet, there was a space for signatures and a stamp. Ana frowned. She could try to sign on her father's behalf, but the Perez industries stamp of approval resided in her father's office back home. Without it, the agreement would never be seen as valid.

She shuffled the papers back together, a smile softly crossing her lips. She would need to go home, anyway. She had business to attend to with Sil. She glanced over the group of four.

"Sure thing," she said. "I'll just look over them, with my father, and we'll get them to you soon."

In her head, she amended the statement. She would just take her father's stamp, and sign the papers, before he had a chance to stop her.

The men across from her smiled and laughed. They stood up, and high-fived each other, like kids who had just won a bet on a dragonbound sparring match.

"This has been the fastest negotiation yet!" one shouted.

"Well, the fastest once we got to the negotiation table," another clarified.

The others huzzah'd.

Then one of the older men broke from the pack and approached Ana. He offered his hand for a shake.

"Thank you for this," he said.

Ana stuck out her hand and shook his.

"Before you go," she said, looking him in the eye with all seriousness. "There's just one favor I'd like to ask of you."

"Of course," the old man said. "What is it?"

"It's regarding how my father's company currently does things," she said. "I'd like to add a fifth point to the terms here. And that is that the company promises to harm no dragons in the making of its engines or any other products."

The man blinked, confused. Ana watched him, praying, hoping, he would agree to the term. Of course, she couldn't see why he wouldn't, unless he knew about activities at the Iron Obelisk. She doubted he did, but his hesitation made her wonder all the same.

"That's a problem?" he finally said.

"Yes," she said.

Then the man laughed. "Well, I don't mind it being added," he said, shaking Ana's hand furiously. "Of course, I couldn't care less about what happens to the dragons. Long as us union folks are taken care of, that's all that matters. You've got yourself a deal, Ms. Perez."

***

Ana explained the agreement to Leti on the way back to the carriage. The cobblestones were mostly empty as they walked, the beating sun already high in the sky. They walked away from the waterfront. Her men's clothing made her feel itchy. She could not wait to get back into a dress. The pants in particular made her feel self-conscious.

The carriage had not moved from the spot where they'd left it. As they climbed inside, the carriage driver slid open the window with a swish.

"And how was it?" he asked them.

"Very crowded," Leti said.

"Enlightening," Ana added.

"Back to the commoner house, then?" the driver asked.

"No," Leti said. "Take us to the Perez property."

Ana gaped. "You don't have to go with me," she said.

"We're friends. We stick together," Taea said.

"Exactly," Leti said.

"And I would like to see Sil, in person," Pero added.

"For the record, I think Ana's doing the right thing," Cee said.

"Agreed," Taea said. "Even if she doesn't have her father's permission."

There was a momentary silence after that.

The window slit shut, and the carriage prattled off down the road.

"She intends to forge her father's signature and steal his stamp to agree to the terms," Leti finally said. "How is that the right thing?"

"Because then he won't be able to abuse any more dragons," Cee said.

"A forged signature will never hold up in court," Leti said.

"The signature won't need to hold up in court," Ana said. "The whole city wants this agreement. You were there, you saw how many of them were marching. No court will want to touch a case that risks reopening the wound."

Leti went silent at that.

"Will your father be home?" Pero asked over the silence.

"I don't think so," Ana said. "He was hurt pretty badly when I left him at the Obelisk. If he is home, he will be bedridden."

Ana glanced at Cee, who sat curled up beside her. She worried that her father might have sent dragonbounds ahead to the house. Though, he had always been against dragons. That's why it had come as such a shock that he had attended her dragonbound sparring tournaments. He wouldn't take lightly to sending a dragonbound to his home. Then again, there was a time when she had thought he wouldn't take lightly to dragons being locked in cages and murdered. She wasn't sure what to expect anymore.

The carriage soon reached the hillside, and they began to ascend. Ana's home was at the top of the Tekor hills, overlooking the city with a splendid view. But the hills themselves were not so high up, and so the alpacas and the carriage climbed them quickly.

"If there are dragonbounds, we will fight them," Taea said.

"That's right," Leti added. "As a team. Just like we did the spindelldra."

Ana looked at her friend and the dragons surrounding them. But of course they were still missing Luka, Ashwell, and Sil. Leti hadn't mentioned any of them.

"Thanks," Ana said. "But, honestly, we don't want it to come to a fight."

The carriage rattled to a stop outside the fence at Ana's property. The carriage driver slid the window open.

"I assume you want me to let you out here, rather than at the front, where you'll be seen by everyone."

Ana climbed to her feet and pushed the door open.

"Stay here," she told Leti. "I'll be back quickly."

"I'll come with you," Cee said.

"So will I," Pero said. "I must see Sil."

Ana bit her lip. She didn't want a crowd with her, but she couldn't exactly deny either of them.

"Stay near me, and don't draw attention to yourselves," she told the dragons.

Then she hopped out of the carriage. Trailed by Cee and Pero, she raced over the fence.

***

She should have known that Gio would find her. She'd snuck in through the alpaca stables, knowing that the door was frequently left unlocked during the day for the staff. She'd climbed up the crotchety wooden staircase into the house.

But the moment that Ana took two steps down the hallway, Gio's voice rang out behind her.

"Pardon me, sir," he said, and Ana was forced to halt. "Can I help you?"

By the Uniter, he was good. But at least he didn't recognize her. Probably because of the men's clothes. If things went well in her father's study, she decided she might sneak up to her room for a dress or two. For now, however, she turned around and smiled at her butler.

"Hi Gio," she said, and then waved.

Gio's mouth dropped open. He closed it a moment later.

"Ms. Perez," he said. "Excuse me, I didn't recognize you in that ensemble. And, I didn't hear you return. We received a message from your father, that he would be staying in the city last night. He must be back now. I will go help him."

He looked flustered for the first time in his life. He tried to walk past her.

Ana put out her hand and stopped him.

"My father's not here," she said.

"Oh," Gio said. He turned to face her again. Then his eyes found Cee, who was hovering by the ground.

"By the Uniter. That's a dragon."

Ana nodded. "Two, actually."

His mouth dropped open with shock when he saw Pero.

"W-w-what, why, how, for what reason..."

Cee grinned.

"Hello, my name's Cee. I'm Ana's partner," he said.

"Um, hello," Gio said, finally regaining his senses. Then he shook his head. "Ana, your father will be—"

"Has he sent anyone here?" Ana asked.

"Sent...anyone?" Gio said, sounding confused.

That was a no. Ana put a hand on his shoulder.

"Forget you saw me," she told him, but she knew he wouldn't.

"If that is what you wish, but your father—"

"Will be angry, yes."

Suddenly, she got an idea.

"Gio, follow me, please," she said. She walked off down the hall.

Gio hesitated, but he followed. Ana led him to her father's study, which was empty, as she expected. She ruffled through the drawers.

"Far be it for me to comment, Ms. Perez, but I don't think your father will take well to you ruffling through his stuff."

"I agree," Ana said. "But to be honest, I'm done caring about what he takes well to or doesn't."

She found the stamp and slipped it into her pocket. She grabbed a few sheets of blank paper and a pen.

"Where are my mother and the twins?" Ana asked.

She left the study, headed for the entryway again.

"The twins are out back," Gio said, following her. "Your mother is in her room, as of two hours ago, but I confess I have had a busy morning, so I haven't kept better track of her."

"And how about Sil?"

"Oh?" Gio said, sounding surprised. "Cleaning your room, I believe. Why do you ask about her?"

"Pero is her partner," Ana said with confidence.

She reached the bottom of the marble staircase, and she made her way up it. She didn't bother to glance at Gio, but she knew he was surprised at the declaration that a slave, like him, was a dragonbound. Ana entered her bedroom. It was only just off the top of the staircase.

She allowed Gio to follow her inside, and then she shut the door behind them. Sil was in the room, as Gio had said. Ana found her dusting the blinds. As she entered, Sil turned and looked at her.

"Ms. Perez, it's been..." she trailed off, her eyes meeting Pero's across the room.

The two of them approached each other. They hesitated a moment, and then Pero took to the air, and smacked right into Sil, burying his snout in her chest.

She gazed at the dragon, as Ana and Gio gazed at her. Slowly, she closed her arms around him. He hovered a speck away from her, then looked up into her eyes.

"My partner," he said.

Sil looked at Ana. Ana nodded, a smile crossing her lips. Tears struggled to pour from her eyes, but she didn't let them.

"I need to pack a few things," she said. "You two may get reacquainted."

She rummaged through her closet, and pulled out two dragonbound dresses. She retrieved a set of sparring armor.

"Gio, Sil, you should know that I will be leaving this house," she said. "Will you both come with me?"

Gio's eyes went wide. "I am sorry, Ms. Perez, but I'm terribly confused. Did you say you're leaving?"

Ana nodded, and then she marched over to him. "Listen, I want to be blunt with you. Sil too. But the matter is complex. Suffice it to say that my father and I have had a falling out. If you come with me, I will see to it you are both made free."

Gio and Sil hesitated. For a moment, silence filled the room.

"I will come with you, Ms. Perez," Sil said.

"And you, Gio?"

"Even if I could believe you, Ms. Perez, I would have to decline," he said.

"You can believe me," Ana said. "You can trust me."

"I am an old man," Gio said. "But I remember my youth. I think that is why I do not fault you for doing as you do. But I am done fighting. I will accept my lot in life, unfair as it may be. I am done with the uncertainties of the fight. That is truly why I will not go with you."

Gio took the dusting equipment from Sil. He gave her a gentle push forward, toward Ana.

"Go," he told her.

Ana frowned. She felt sad. But she could see that he would not change his mind. And she did not want to remain here any longer than she needed to.

Sighing, she gathered up her dresses and the sparring armor. Then she made a split second decision and grabbed a third dress from her closet.

"I'll miss you, Gio," she said.

"As I will you," Gio said.

And then she and Sil left him.

Almost at once, Ana stumbled across her mother. She was meandering down the hallway, wearing a splendid crimson dress, and her face lit up with joy upon seeing Ana.

"You're home!" she said.

Ana struggled to maintain a grip on her clothes as her mother hugged her.

"We were worried last night. Are you and your father alright? How was your experience shadowing him?" she said. "Did...did everything go...?"

Ana's mother trailed off as she noticed the expression on Ana's face.

"What's wrong?" she said, and then she noticed Cee.

"A dragon!"

"This is Cee," Ana explained. "And with Sil, that is Pero."

Cee smiled and waved.

"Hello Ana's mother," he said.

"Hello..." Ana's mother said. She sounded confused as her eyes darted from one dragon to the other. Then she looked frantically at Ana. "What is it? What's wrong?"

"Father and I have had a falling out," Ana said sadly. "I'm leaving."

Her mother's face went dark. Ana stepped away from her, toward the stairs.

"No," her mother said. "No."

"I'm sorry, mom."

"He showed you what was in the Obelisk," she said as if she knew. "By the Uniter, I never should have..."

"Never should have what?" Ana said.

Her mother broke down in tears. For a moment, all Ana could hear was sobbing. She wrapped her arms around her mother, dropping the dresses and the armor.

"I want to come with you," she said in between sobs. "But I can't. I need to take care of the twins."

"I'm sorry, mom."

Surprisingly, she shoved Ana away. "Go," she said. She cried into her dress, then shouted. "Get out of here!"

Ana stumbled backward, slowly picking up her dropped clothes.

"Mom, I'm—" she started to say.

"Just go!" her mother shouted, then moaned. "GO!"

Ana stumbled down the stairs with Sil shakily following. Her mother's moans grew louder. Every few seconds she continued to yell.

"GO!...GO!...GO!"

Her mother's wails turned into sonorous shrieks of pain as Ana and Sil reached the bottom of the staircase. Ana hesitated again about leaving. But still her mother's cries continued, urging her to go, to get out of the house.

Soon, she was tripping over herself, shaking as she left. She slammed the door shut after Sil, completely on accident. She rushed across the lawn.

"Is she going to be okay?" Cee said.

Ana didn't know the answer to that.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

4.7K 9 52
----- They intertwined their tails together, it was like they were the only dragons in the world, just her and him, in the sky. Deathbringer took Glo...
445K 12.9K 34
Blaze White is the New Girl at the Prep school in her mothers old home town. But her only goal for senior year is to keep a low profile, no friends...
355 23 17
# I will stop publishing my story on wattpad because I'm worried about plagiarism. The world has been destroyed. All that remains is the Ark, and in...
9.9K 410 32
CONTENT CONTAINS : SEXUAL CONTENT DRUG USE VIOLENCE & STRONG LANGUAGE IF YOUR EASILY TRIGGERED OR UNCOMFORTABLE, DO NOT READ!! • " The nerve! " " Wha...