Warriors #4: Darkness Awakens

By warriorcatlover345

ThunderClan has lived moons in peace. The water is plentiful and the cats are strong. But, with the Dark Fore... More

Before You Read...
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Author's Note
New Book!

Chapter 26

630 28 40
By warriorcatlover345

Swiftpaw's POV

"Great!" Purred Foxleap. "Awesome job, Swiftpaw."

I let out a small huff of satisfaction as I backed away from Foxleap, who I had pinned down. We had been battle training since dawn, and although it didn't feel nearly as exhilarating as battle training did with Ashfur and Tigerstar in the Dark Forest, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I could tell that Foxleap was impressed by how easily things seemed to come to me. I knew that the whole purpose of me training in the Dark Forest was to get me ahead, and it was certainly working. About halfway through our training, I think Foxleap had found himself having to be less and less thorough with his directions when he was teaching me a battle move.

In fact, it had been this way since I had first become an apprentice about a quarter moon ago. I tried not to show it, but a lot of the teaching that Foxleap was giving me, I already knew. But, I highly respected Foxleap already as a Clanmate and as a mentor, so I tried really, really hard not to cut him off and tell him I knew what he was talking about, as impatient as I felt sometimes.

I didn't get off completely easy, though. Although I went into my apprenticeship being well informed of a lot of things already, Tigerstar and Ashfur had only taught me the special fighting moves that Clan cats typically didn't know much about, so that meant I wasn't aware of battle moves specific to ThunderClan. I was glad to learn at least something new.

After I had released Foxleap from underneath me, he backed away and proceeded to stretch out, lashing his tail in the air. "Okay, Swiftpaw," he began, "Before we head back to camp, let's test you a bit."

I tilted my head, immediately captured by my mentor's words.

Foxleap finally stood up from his stretch. "I want to see you integrate what I've taught you so far," he meowed, his eyes narrowed. "Attack me. Let's see what happens."

I couldn't suppress a smirk. Time to show Foxleap what I've got!

Without hesitation, I leaped on Foxleap, throwing him off by facing his left shoulder, but proceeding to leap to the right. I immediately was able to bowl him over, despite my slightly smaller size. Before I knew it I had him pinned down. Then, Foxleap lightly knocked me back with hind paws. I flew back, rolled backwards, but immediately was able to jump back up as I saw Foxleap jumping at me. I let out an excited hiss and was able to quickly dodge the dark ginger tom. As I swerved out of the way, I had managed to give Foxleap a small swipe with a sheathed paw. Unfortunately though, that just gave Foxleap more time to leap back on me. I rolled over, Foxleap landing on his side. I jumped up, raising one of my paws in the air.

Foxleap raised one of his paws from where he was lying, as if to tell me to stop. "Alright, alright, Swiftpaw!" He meowed, his voice full of laughter. "That's all we'll do for today." He then stood up, shaking out his fur. "That was great for a first try, Swiftpaw," he complimented. "You are quick. Very quick, and strong. You definitely would be able to defend yourself in a battle."

I flicked my ears, my eyes widening. "Really?" I asked. I'm barely into my apprenticeship and my mentor tells me I could defend myself in a battle? Is the Dark Forest paying off or what?

Foxleap nodded, his eyes gleaming with satisfaction. "I wouldn't tell you that if it wasn't true. No mentor would, in fact," he answered as he began to pad towards camp, beckoning me with his tail. "Firestar will definitely know about this!"

I couldn't suppress an excited shiver. This is awesome! I can't wait to be able to defend my Clan in battle, and I may get to do it earlier than any other apprentice.

As I began to follow Foxleap back to camp, I wondered about something. I wonder why not all apprentices and kits get this opportunity? All cats have potential to be great hunters and fighters, I suppose. Why aren't Ashfur and Tigerstar trying to recruit them too? Ashfur and Tigerstar are doing this to help other cats, right?

My eyes narrowed as I delved deeper and deeper into my thoughts, letting out a small hiss. Don't be stupid. This is the Dark Forest. I knew I was taking some risks when I decided to train with them, and that they have some sort of plan in mind. I still wish I knew what it was.

My mind then went back to the night after I had become an apprentice, when Tigerstar had emerged from the shadows and told me that he had been discussing something with a ThunderClan apprentice. Something that was "needed" for the Clans. It had been a quarter moon since that encounter, and I nearly wanted to rip out my fur with anxiety.

And I couldn't talk to any cat about it either. Then, they would figure out everything I was doing - that I was training in the Dark Forest, which would probably lead to them finding out that Thornclaw nearly dying was all my fault.

Just as I was about to stop and rip at the grass below me, I flicked my ears as I heard Firestar's yowl come from camp. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey, gather beneath the Highledge for a Clan meeting!"

Foxleap stopped from where he was trotting in front of me, waiting for me to catch up to him. "Uh, oh. I wonder what this is about?" He murmured. He and I exchanged a nervous look before finally making it to the camp entrance.

By the time we arrived, many cats were already gathered. I scanned the group of cats, and decided to settle down beside Dovepaw, who I noticed was looking with narrowed eyes up at the Highledge. I followed my gaze to find Ivypaw sitting next to Firestar up on the ledge.

What in the name of StarClan? I then found my eyes narrowing as well, but before I could ask Dovepaw, Ivypaw's sister, about it, Firestar began to speak.

"As many of you all already know, I, along with Jayfeather, Brambleclaw and Lilypetal, have just gotten back from a meeting with Blackstar..." Firestar then closed his eyes and took a deep breath before speaking again. "You are probably wondering the premise of the visit... You all know I am not one to look for trouble."

I scanned the camp. ThunderClan cats were staring up at Firestar, their eyes seemingly filled with apprehension and curiosity.

"Ivypaw here has had a dream that I believe to be a sign from StarClan," Firestar continued. "I have also spoken to my senior warriors about it. We believe that it means that we must retrieve the land that we gifted to ShadowClan moons ago."

Quiet gasps emerged around the clearing as Firestar went on. "We went to Blackstar to see if we could retrieve the land back peacefully. As expected, Blackstar wouldn't budge."

I let my claws unsheathe and dig into the earth below me as I felt the tension in the camp rising.

"Tomorrow at dawn, we are going to travel towards ShadowClan and mark down the territory we deserve. If ShadowClan wants to fight over it, that's exactly what we'll do."

To my surprise, lots of meows of triumph rose around me. I tried to let myself feel as excited as they looked. I suppose taking the land back that ShadowClan is taking advantage of is a good idea, I realized as the meeting began to break out.

Almost immediately, Foxleap caught my eye, who had been sitting next to his father, Dustpelt. His eyes were gleaming as I walked up to him. He seemed to already know the question I was going to ask. The tom opened his mouth, but immediately closed it again, his eyes then narrowing.

"As much as I would like to think that you would do well in battle, Swiftpaw," he began, "I just wonder if it's too early for you; you're only a quarter moon into training. I'd hate to send you into battle if you weren't ready..."

But I am! I pleaded inside. I decided to take my chances. "I see why you'd be worried," I meowed, trying to hide my extreme eagerness, "But I do feel ready!"

Foxleap snorted. "Even though that may be true, I know for a fact that almost any apprentice would insist on that..." he muttered, his gaze turning towards Firestar, who was on the Highledge talking to Brambleclaw and Ivypaw. After staring for a few heartbeats, he turned his head back to me. "I'll tell you what, once Firestar is done talking to those two, I'll take that chance to tell him about your great training session today. If he likes what he hears, I'll let him decide to send you into battle."

I then felt a huge surge of excitement. Nodding quickly, I meowed eagerly, "That works for me!"

Foxleap smiled and then licked my ear. "I'll let you know," he murmured before padding over to talk to Icecloud.

I sat down where I was, bewildered at the fact that I might be fighting in a battle tomorrow. That's crazy! Foxleap really meant what he said! Digging my claws into the ground ambitiously, I then thought, we'll get that territory back and show ShadowClan who's boss!

My gaze then went up to where Firestar was still talking to Brambleclaw and Ivypaw. I wonder why StarClan chose Ivypaw to pass on this sign...?

Suddenly, right then and there, something hit me. Not something physical, but a realization.

Is it possible... that it wasn't StarClan that passed on this information? My thoughts then thought about Tigerstar's words all over again. He had said he was talking to a ThunderClan apprentice about something important. What if it was Ivypaw? She trains in the Dark Forest, I know that.

My heart felt like it was going to explode as I put more pieces together. This is an issue that affects the Clans, as Tigerstar said it was, and that I'd find out about it soon...

I tried my hardest to suppress a hiss. Is this the Dark Forest's doing? I asked myself. If so, why? What is Tigerstar up to?

I took a deep breath, trying to calm down. If Ivypaw agreed to it, it must be something that needs to be done, right?

But, as I traveled over to the apprentice's den for a quick nap before I'd have to wake up in the Dark Forest later at moonhigh, I couldn't be so sure.

I wondered if this battle should even be happening.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

929K 35.2K 83
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...
439K 15.5K 93
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...
9.4M 307K 52
"you're all mine; the hair, the lips, the body, it's all mine." highest previous rankings: - #1 in jimin - #1 in pjm - #1 in btsfanfic cover by: @T...
302K 6.7K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc