The life and lies of Matty an...

By --solaris--

Veronica Swan couldn't have been more excited for her elder sister and nephew to move in with her and her fat... More

Introduction
Extended Summary
The sister and a newborn
A rusty truck and a baby seat
The nursery and a mis-lodged memory
A lie and an 'adoption'
The Cullen and a argument
A Flurry of a Goodbye and an abandonment
The new term and another disappearance
The bikes and a small family
An illness and a breakdown
The sister and the truth
A modern day love story and a restaurant
The return and the trip to Italy
A Return and a party
The graduation and the celebration
A involvement and a protection plan
The vampire problem in forks and the solution?
An epic training montage and a worried housewife
The prelude to a storm and a confession
A wish and a unwelcome visitor
The invitation and the possible reason
A rehearsal and an new set of questions
The wedding and the suspicion
A national holiday and a Surprise
Epilogue

A sulking and a new word

15.9K 428 58
By --solaris--

Nobody in the Swan Household could have truly prepared themselves for the aftermath of the Cullen family leaving Forks. Nobody would have known such an impact one seemingly mostly ordinary would have. Yet here they were seeing such drastic reactions. For the loss of a family one household member had only known for a matter of months. Yet the amount of time she had known them did not matter in the long-term because the loss of having the family near by and accessible caused enough heartbreak that it was clear just how much they had meant. Just how much they had impacted the teenaged girl in such a short period of time. The reaction Bella had to the leaving of the family was enough to cause extreme worry for the other members of the household. For it was not the usual reaction to people you know and love moving a few hours away. This reaction was akin to a permeant loss. Bella was grieving the life she lived with the family. That much was clear, but there was also something else going on in the background. For this reaction also included constant night terrors and the lack of a will to do anything. Bella had entered a deep depression following that night in the woods, and it was enough to concern those who lived with her. 

Charlie was very concerned about his eldest daughter, but at a standstill on what he could do to help. He had tried to get her to speak to him, to her sister, to a friend, a family friend anybody really. But Bella had frozen up, continued to sit in one position staring outside the window into the forest before them, completely unwilling to engage. He had then tried to get a professional in to help, but Bella's reaction to a professional was even worse than that to people she knew, and therefore the decision was made to try later again when she might be more agreeable to the idea of talking to someone. The thought had crossed his mind that perhaps she needed medication to help in the short term just until she learnt to accept what had happened so they could start to help her to move forward. But Bella had also been against that idea, and she was 18 now and could make those decisions for herself. Even if they were against what would be best for her. The only option Charlie had left would be removing Bella from the environment she had found herself stuck in. Away from everything which reminded her of the Cullen family, of Edward. Yet he couldn't find it in his heart to send his daughter away, not after he had finally got her back in his life. For he knew if he did indeed send her back to live with Renee he would never hear from Bella again, and she would never have the chance to chose whether she wanted to be in her son's life. SO he sat on the fence of what to do next, and with each week that passed in which he had chosen to test the waters and see if things got better naturally without his influence he was also aware of what impacts it was having on the rest of the household. 

Veronica wanted to feel sympathy for her sister. She truly did, the way of which Bella was broken up with and then left in the woods to either find her way home or perish was vile. It was brutal and not what she would have wanted for anyone. Nobody deserved to be treated like that no matter what they had done in the past. And she truly did feel sympathy towards Bella and wanted to help her get better. That was for the first few weeks, before the impact of Bella's health started to have a knock on effect upon herself, upon her baby. Veronica had spent time sitting with Bella, trying to distract her mind from where it was stuck, trying to remind her of a better peaceful time, that her future would still progress still be everything she wanted it to be without Edward by her side. Yet Bella would not reciprocate Veronica's aid well, and would often lose her temper when Veronica mentioned Edward. Something that after the first few times Veronica should have really learnt not to broach. But she never did admit to being the most intelligent or particularly able to read the room. And eventually the sympathy faded away, she still felt bad for Bella for how bad this was obviously affecting her, but the sympathy was gone the moment it began to heavily impact Matthew. Bella's night terrors did not show any signs of improving rather only getting worse, as they would go on for longer and would occur more frequently during the night. Each time the older girl would wake up screaming and sometimes would shout out and loudly cry during her sleep. Actions all of which would wake the rest  of the household, and unlike Bella and the other grown ups in the house, Matthew was the only one who would struggle to return to the land of sleep once it was all finished. No matter how much rocking, how much coddling he was given Matthew struggled to sleep again, and it would take up to an hour each time to settle him back to sleep. Only for him to be woken again a few hours later. 

The household wide lack of a decent night of sleep, was becoming more and more noticeable to the people around them. Veronica had started to take to her lunch time breaks more of a nap period than time to actual eat and socialise. She found it necessary to sleep during this time otherwise she would fear that not only would she not have enough energy to participate in the sport she loved so much, but to then go and pick the infant up from nursery. Two of the team would often stand guard whilst she slept to ensure that whilst they could they would ensure she got as much uninterrupted sleep as she possibly could. The two guards from her team to protect her one fateful Wednesday were Mable Webber and Nicola Rice. Mable had been veronica's only friend at school prior to her joining the softball team, the pair joined the team together and were as close then as they were now. Mable was one of the few members of the team to have met Matthew as well, the girls bonded closely enough that she felt as though her friend would have wanted to meet the baby. And Mable had grown to be as protective of Matthew as she was of Veronica, something the girl would be forever grateful for. Nicola Rice, was not exactly a member of the softball team, but more of a personal friend to most of the team and therefore just bundled in with them even if she did not play the sport. Nicola was the only 'real' young mother of their school year having given birth to her daughter a few months prior. She had been adamant on getting to know Veronica, and in part Matthew and the pair had grown closer as they both worked out just how to care for a baby. And despite her guards best effort it would appear that Veronica's daily lunch time nap could not go uninterrupted. For a very familiar screech of a shout awoke her only 10 minutes after she had finally managed to dose off.

"Veronica." Bella's voice bounced across the canteen, loud enough that it would draw everyone's attention.

"Bella, what's wrong?" Veronica tried to keep her cool and remain collected despite the harsh awakening. 

"It is all your fault he left me. You and that stupid baby." Veronica rolled her eyes at Bella's words this was not an uncommon argument between the two sisters, though it was the first time it had been brought up in front of a crowd and at school. 

"Perhaps we could talk away from prying ears? You know my answer to this statement Bella from the last three times we've had this conversation." Veronica went to stand from the table determined to get the familiar argument over and done with. 

"No. I've had enough of you dodging the question and refusing to take responsibility. Edward left me because of you. Because of that stupid child of yours." If Bella was a cartoon character, Veronica was sure her head would be bright red and steam would be flowing from her ears from just how mad she seemed. She chose to ignore Bella referring to Matthew as Veronica's child, she was used to it by now. And she had come to terms that she would probably be the mother figure to the infant for the rest of her life. And for some reason, she had no issue against that not had she ever really.

"Matthew and I had nothing to do with them leaving. Please listen to yourself Bella. I barely interacted with him. Yet alone bringing my son around him." Veronica rolled her eyes again, wanting more than anything for the conversation to be over and to go back into dream land. 

"This has everything to do with both of you. And it's your fault you couldn't keep things to yourself." This was new information, Veronica had no clue what Bella was indicating this time around, therefore she chose to ignore it putting it down to her sisters poor mental state at the present. Hoping that when Bella was better that they could sit down and have a proper conversation to clear the air. Veronica had nothing to do with the Cullens, when they were in Forks or whilst they were leaving and she knew that Bella was just looking for someone to blame unable to understand why they had left. And to her own, stupid, judgement she was allowing Bella to place that blame on her. 

"Look Bella, we are only going to go around in circles. I don't want to have this conversation in front of the entire student body. Please just leave me be, you can do it at home so please just continue to ignore my presence here." Veronica did not allow Bella to say anything back knowing they were once again only going to have the exact same argument with slightly different words and therefore stood from the table giving her two friends a look to tell them she would be fine if they stayed behind and headed outside the cafeteria and towards the grassy field outside. Somewhere she knew her sister would not come out and sit. 

Veronica walked past the initial outdoor seating and towards the football field. She ignored the dark clouds of which hung over the field and the small whipping of wind as the weather seemed to start to respond and adjust to match her own emotions. She took a seat upon the stands and went to fish out her mobile from her pocket. She shuffled through the contacts wondering just who she could ring up and vent to before settling on the one contact she should have known she would call from the moment she stepped outside. She paused for a second before clicking call, intending to rack her own brain to try and work out whether he would still be on lunch break, the two schools having slightly differentiating schedules, before determining she did not care either way and clicking call. 

"Hey Buttercup, is everything okay?" Jake's voice was on the quieter side as first accompanied by some shuffling, a sign that perhaps he was still not on lunch break. 

"I need to vent, Bella is being herself again." Veronica whined a little as she spoke, a slight opposite to the anger fuelled vent she usually went on the moment he picked up. 

"You don't sound so angry Vero." Jake mused and Veronica felt the slight anger she felt vanish like the seal it had been before she was slammed by her true emotions, the shame she felt for being blown up on in the middle of the school, the sadness that her sister was blaming her for things having gone wrong and just how tired she was. 

"Yeah... I'm not that angry. I just... I don't know anymore. I'm so over everything I know my sister isn't well and I feel like such a bad person for this but I just want her to either get better or go back to Mom." Veronica's voice broke a little as she spoke. She could feel the tears as they gathered and she braced herself for the fact that she was going to cry.

"Oh Veronica." Jake paused "Do you want me to come and get you. You're absolutely shattered babe. You need some sleep, some proper sleep and not an hour here and there." Veronica wanted to argue with him, say that he was wrong but she knew it, and he knew it. Jake was right, what she needed right now was sleep and one of his hugs. The tight ones which made her feel so safe and calm. Things she did not feel now. 

"Yeah." She agreed. "Yeah I need you Jake." Her words were not muffled as she spoke and were spoke carefully. 

"Okay Buttercup, I'm grabbing my stuff and I'll be with you in like 15-20 minutes. Text your dad and get your things." Jake instructed and Veronica gently rubbed at the bottom of her eyes as she caught the few stray tears that had fallen during their conversation. 

"Thank you, I owe you."

"You never owe me. I'll be with you shortly." Jake hung up before Veronica could say anything more and she put the phone away before taking a moment to move forward. Veronica rested her hands upon her knees and dropped her head down in an attempt to collect her thoughts and regain control over her emotions. But she knew it was not possible. Rather she intended to head back inside to her own locker to collect the rest of her items and then leave. She would work out how she would get her car home later. That was not important at this current moment in time. 

20 minutes later just like he had promised, Veronica caught eye of Jake's truck pulling into the front of the school. The rusty vehicle was running better than her own car but it wasn't exactly doing well. But it would be her carriage taking her away from it all just for a little while. And the sight of it was enough to bring her just a speckle of joy. Veronica watched as not one but two figures jumped out from the cab of the truck. And when she approached she was able to clearly see who the second figure was. 

"Hey Em." Veronica greeted, only to get a wide response from the teenaged boy in question. Embry Call was one of Jake's closest childhood friends and had become a good friend of Veronica as the years passed. And it was no surprise that the teenaged boy would also jump at a chance to skip the afternoon of school to do anything, seeing Veronica was probably only an after thought. 

"I'll follow you two in your car Ronnie back to Jakes." Embry held his hand out for Veronica's car keys and she gave him what she hoped was a thankful smile but was aware it was more of a grimace as she handed said keys over. 

"Best of luck, engine sounds about 5 minutes away from explosion." Veronica warned but only got a true boyish smile in response. 

"Awesome." And with those words Embry was off and unlocking Veronica's car. He did not wait for the others, he had no intent on following them before he was gone and out of the parking lot. Embry might have had his license but he did not have a car of his own, and was obviously taking advantage of the chance to drive a car. 

"I feel like that might just end in disaster." Veronica groaned as she turned to Jacob. 

"Serves him right if so. Now come here." Jake motioned with his arms and Veronica was all complying as she nestled herself into him. The second his arms were tightly around her and gently squeezing she knew that this was exactly what she needed and exactly where she needed to be in this moment in time. It was as if a tension released from where Veronica was holding it within herself. She did not want to cry outside the school, but she felt as though she could in this moment. 

"Can we get going?" She gently asked not wanting to push knowing he was doing her a favour. But also being aware of just how tight their schedule was if she wanted to get some decent sleep in. 

"Of course, let's rocket." Jake pulled her in the direction of the truck and was obviously feeling as if he was prepared to act like a proper gentleman and therefore, opened the door for Veronica. He did not help her get in nor close the door after but he was obviously affected slightly by the way she was in that moment in time. The pair drove back to Jake's house in silence, the radio played lowly in the background, and Veronica only listened to it. She chose not to say anything, rather she could just feel the comfort was over her along with the tiredness. Her eyes felt heavy and she found herself drifting off to sleep within the first five minutes of the twenty something minute drive. 

When she next came to she found herself upon a much softer surface than that of the truck seats. She was also slightly warmer and as she fully registered where she was she noted that she had made it into Jake's bedroom. Said boy could be spotted trying to sneak out of the room and Veronica wasn't letting him leave her that easily. 

"Jake." She called out and watched as he spun around quickly with a small look of shock upon his face. 

"Oh man I was trying so hard not to wake you up. I didn't drop you or anything?" Jake's words were fast and Veronica found herself stifling laughter as she waited for him to finish. 

"Of course you didn't drop me. But you're not leaving me that easily come here." Veronica patted the small space on the bed next to her. Jake had the smallest bedroom of the house, and therefore only had a small single bed. It would make room tight but it was not the first time nor would it be the last that the pair would share the small bed. Jacob chose not to argue with Veronica rather moving his way back to the bed and wiggling under the covers so they were pressed into one another. He turned to look at Veronica a slight grimace now available.

"Is this better both of us squished like sardines in a can?" He grumbled and Veronica only adjusted herself so she was partially lying on the mattress partially on him, giving the taller teenager more space. 

"Better?"

"Better."

"Thank you for being my rock." Veronica placed a gentle kiss to Jake's cheek.

"It's me, you and Matty forever V." Jake responded and Veronica smiled brightly a full smile for the first time that day as she placed her head onto his chest. 

"Me you and Matty." She agreed before letting the silence envelope them. The feeling of Jake's chest gently rising up and down was enough to send Veronica into a peaceful sleep, the taller teenager wrapped his free arm around Veronica before allowing the world of sleep to take him too. 

The pair would be woken a few hours later by Billy Black as he entered the bedroom. The man initially had no intent of waking the pair up. He was more than aware of what was going on in the Swan household, he had heard enough about it from his best friend. Yet alone his son complaining about how the circumstances had affected Veronica and Matthew. He wanted to allow the pair a lot longer but he had caught the time, he knew that Matthew required picking up from Nursery and had a suspicion that Veronica would want to pick him up herself. If what Jacob had told him before picking the teenaged girl up was anything to go by. 

"Do you want me to come with you to pick him up?" Jake offered and Veronica thought on it, it would probably be easier to take him with her even if Jake did not go into the nursery himself.

"If you don't mind."

"I never mind." Jake confirmed before taking a few minutes to get himself together. The pair walked their way to the front door of the Black house before they were stopped by Billy. 

"Come back here after kids. I can either watch Matty whilst you both get some more rest or you can all get some much needed sleep here." Billy called and Veronica was quick to agree before heading back to her car. Jacob had agreed to drive the car, rather than take the time to move Matthew's car seat from one to the other. The conversation this time between places was a little more involved than it had been a few hours prior. The pair chose not to communicate in regards to what had transpired earlier in the day. 

Veronica exited the car, hoping that the smile she showed upon entrance into the nursery was enough to come across as though everything was fine. Even if in reality everything was other than fine. She knew that she needed to keep going strong for Matthew, so that he remained calm, happy and peaceful. She had only just stepped into the main room of the nursery when she heard the voice of the second person who would always make her feel better. 

"MOMMY!" The voice of her son cried out as his eyes fell upon her. Veronica had to still, had he just said what she thought he had. Had he, he had.

"Oh my baby, come here." Veronica crouched down and opened her arms as the excitement overtook her, Matthew pottered his way over and into the awaiting open arms. And as she held her son, yes her son, in her arms Veronica realised that everything at the moment seemed so hard, so horrible but one day it would have all been worth it. She would be able to look back and find the good memories of this time. And this moment, this would be one of them. 

"Mommy, mommy." He chorused about as excited about being able to say the word as she was to hear it.

"My sweet boy, I love you so much." Veronica was gushing as she wanted to praise the boy for the new word he had started to use, the best word in her own opinion. And as she turned more than aware she had an audience in the form of Nancy the Nursery owner she gave a half sheepish smile. She did not really care for the audience more than aware that her day which had seemed so bleak suddenly appeared much brighter. 

"Sorry about that." Veronica spoke with no actual tone of remorse or regret for how she had behaved.

"Don't be." Nancy waved her off and Veronica only lifted Matthew up into her arms ready to carry him from the nursery and back to the car. It took only a few minutes to cross the car park and buckle Matthew in. And as he sat there playing with the toy duck he often could not be left without, Veronica finally felt back at peace with the world. As long as it was her and her two boys. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

755K 19.1K 94
HUMAN | ❝It's like time slowed down, and they were the only two standing in the room.❞ ━ IN WHICH Ellie Newman is pulled into the world of the supern...
287K 6.6K 57
-"butterflies are wonderful creatures, yet you're the most beautiful one in my eyes." -"he is my sunshine, and i am his butterfly." in which a teen...
228K 5.6K 12
CROWN OF THORNES| "ᴡʜᴇɴ ᴀ ꜰɪɴɢᴇʀ ɪꜱ ᴘʀɪᴄᴋᴇᴅ ʙʏ ᴀ ᴛʜᴏʀɴᴇ, ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴄᴀʀ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ʟᴀꜱᴛ ꜰᴏʀᴇᴠᴇʀ." In which another family of vampires moves into the almost sunl...
87.5K 2K 26
Brinley Holt just moves to Forks, Washington to help her parents out since they decided to move up here. Mom works in Port Angeles, and dad works at...