Gideon Drake and the Fire Wit...

Por TEZofAllTrades

*AMBYs 2022 Winner* A brand-new story set in J.K. Rowling's Wizarding World of Harry Potter 🧙 Find out how t... Más

Chapter One: The Boy Who Died
Chapter Two: The Weaving
Chapter Three: Parting Shot
Chapter Five: The Painful Truth
Chapter Six: Food for Thought
Chapter Seven: Course Correction
Chapter Eight: Decisions
Chapter Nine: Sweets and Soured
Chapter Ten: Orientation
Chapter Eleven: A Matter of Time
Chapter Twelve: The Unravelling
Chapter Thirteen: Breaking News
Chapter Fourteen: Distant Relatives
Chapter Fifteen: Acceptance
Chapter Sixteen: Back on Track
Chapter Seventeen: Simply Magical
Chapter Eighteen: Home Sweet House
Chapter Nineteen: DADA
Chapter Twenty: Broken Dreams
Chapter Twenty-One: Belonging
Chapter Twenty-Two: Epiphany
Chapter Twenty-Three: Elevation
Chapter Twenty-Four: Fresh Eyes
Chapter Twenty-Five: Seeing Red
Chapter Twenty-Six: Friendly Competition
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Burnt Out
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Wildfire
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Tricks and Treats
Chapter Thirty: Fallout
Chapter Thirty-One: Fighting Fire with Fire
Chapter Thirty-Two: Game On
Chapter Thirty-Three: Bursting Bubbles
Chapter Thirty-Four: Running Scared
Chapter Thirty-Five: Exposed
Chapter Thirty-Six: Losing Grip
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Tea and Sympathy
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Crisis Management
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Reprieve
Chapter Forty: Clued-in
Chapter Forty-One: Season's Greetings
Chapter Forty-Two: Gifting and Forgetting
Chapter Forty-Three: Eternal Rest and Relaxation
Chapter Forty-Four: Facing Fear
Chapter Forty-Five: High and Low
Chapter Forty-Six: Hot on the Trail
Chapter Forty-Seven: The Eye of Fire
Chapter Forty-Eight: Unleashed
Chapter Forty-Nine: The Final Pieces
Chapter Fifty: The Home Stretch
Author's Note
Bonus Content: Gideon's Timetables
Bonus Content: Fiery Locations
Bonus Content: Fanart Gallery

Chapter Four: The Visitors

323 33 52
Por TEZofAllTrades

Gideon watched his father usher Mr Grimsby and his son inside. Mr Maxwell started towards his study before correcting himself, 'Tolly? Go fetch Gideon, would you?'

'As you wish, Master,' Tolly answered, arriving from the other room, and then hurrying up the staircase. Gideon quickly ducked back behind the wall, so as not to be caught eavesdropping. As Tolly rounded the corner, he put a finger to his lips, indicating for the elf to be quiet.

He waited a reasonable amount of time before emerging from behind the wall with Tolly, pretending they had made their way from his bedroom. 'You wanted me, Dad?' Gideon said as they walked down the stairs.

'Yes, Gideon,' his father replied and indicated to their guests, 'You remember Mr Grimsby and his son, Alex?'

Gideon responded with a nod.

'We have some business to discuss. Why don't you and Alex go play?' he suggested. Then, addressing the visitors and Tolly, 'Some cold drinks? I think we have some fresh pumpkin juice?'

'Pumpkin juice sounds great, thank you,' Mr Grimsby answered.

With a look from Mr Maxwell, Tolly bowed out towards the kitchen while the two men headed to the study. 'Want to go up to my room?' Gideon proposed timidly.

'Sure,' said the other boy with a smile and they jogged upstairs. As they reached the landing, Gideon glanced at the vents at the end of the hall. He was briefly tempted to try listening to the conversation taking place in the study, but with Alex for company, he decided against it.

Gideon's bedroom was the smallest in the house but still a good size. There was plenty of room for all of his bookshelves and his drawing desk, as well as a wardrobe, dressing table and a double bed. The walls were adorned with some of Gideon's drawings and a selection of magically-moving posters, including one of The Stargazers, and one of his local Quidditch Team, the Chudley Cannons.

'I forgot you supported the Cannons,' said Alex Grimsby as they entered. 'They haven't been having a good season, have they?'

'No,' Gideon conceded, 'but that's mainly because of the new line-up. Once they've had time to work on their team dynamic, I think they could be real contenders.'

'Come off it!' Alex responded. 'The Cannons are going down, it's their keeper they should have sacked!'

'What? Denton's a legend!' Gideon contested.

'He was a legend, you mean. He's been going downhill ever since he took that Bludger to the head against the Magpies,' Alex joked. The boys both laughed. It was such a refreshing change for Gideon to talk to someone his age about Quidditch, the popular wizarding sport played in the air on broomsticks, or someone his age full stop, for that matter.

'Oh, you like the Stargazers too?' asked Alex. 'Was that poster up when I was here last?'

Gideon had to think about it, 'I've liked them for ages. Though, I'm not sure if the poster would have been up. I got it a couple of birthdays ago, so just over two years ago.'

'Maybe not, then. I guess it's been a while,' said Alex. 'I don't know many other kids who like them. I'm not sure about the new album, but I have a signed copy of Nightshade!'

'Wow, really?' Gideon exclaimed. 'That's so cool, Nightshade is my favourite!'

Just then, Tolly arrived at the door with a jug of iced Pumpkin juice and four tall glasses on a tray. 'Cheers, Tolly!' Gideon said as he poured out two drinks for them and let Tolly head to the study. The boys sat down on two big bean bags.

'So, how come I don't see more of you?' Alex enquired. 'I only see you when I visit with my dad, and that's not often.'

Gideon took a big sip from his glass and replied, 'Well, I don't see many other kids from magical families. I go to a Muggle primary school. Or I did, that is. Today was my last day. Finally!'

'Oh, we're the same age!' Alex said in surprise. 'So, that means we'll be going to Hogwarts together?'

Gideon nodded into his glass, his cheeks flushed with embarrassment, realising that Alex must have assumed he was younger given the foot or so difference in their heights.

'Yeah! I can't wait!' Gideon replied. 'I've been dreaming of going for so long, and not just because of how bad my school was. I just can't wait to do magic!'

'Cool. Well, I know two more guys who are going, so I can introduce you. I met one of them because of magic,' said Alex. He told the story of how he had met a boy named Greg when they were four years old, and how their families had bonded over an incident of underage magic.

'It was at the beach and Greg's brother had nicked his ice cream cone without their parents noticing,' Alex explained. 'He got upset to the point he accidentally summoned the next nearest ice cream cone to him, which turned out to be mine! Pulled it right out of my little hands! I didn't know what was going on when it just floated away!'

Gideon laughed along with the story, but he was also confused by it. 'But how did he do it?' he asked Alex.

'What, summon the ice cream? Dunno, it's just one of those things, isn't it?' Alex answered jovially. 'I hiccoughed bubbles one time! The babysitter thought I'd swallowed washing-up liquid! And once I silenced the neighbour's dog when it wouldn't stop barking. The biggest thing I ever did was cause a power cut during a tantrum. Once I finally shut up, my mum and dad seemed pretty impressed by that!'

Now Gideon was very confused. 'You've done magic too? More than once?' he asked.

'Well, not on purpose. It just happens, doesn't it? During moments of stress and stuff,' Alex offered matter-of-factly. 'My dad says it's something to do with "not being able to regulate the magic that builds up inside of us". Once we get wands and start using magic all the time, it stops for the most part. Haven't you ever done any magic, then?'

Gideon knew immediately that he hadn't. He had been waiting so long for it, but he always thought the first time would be this Autumn at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, with a wand. He thought that was what it was like for everyone. Apparently, he had been misinformed.

'Well, it's not the same for everyone. It probably just means you're a little less magical,' Alex suggested when Gideon didn't answer. Upon noticing Gideon's face drop, he quickly added, 'Or maybe you have better control of your emotions? Stronger personality or something?'

Gideon perked up a bit at hearing this. After all, he had taught himself to shut down emotionally at school, hadn't he? Maybe not having performed any accidental magic was a mark of character?

After the boys finished their juice, they spent the afternoon playing Gobstones, Exploding Snap, Wizard's Chess, and then with Gideon's miniature flying broomstick set, which they used to recreate popular Quidditch formations. The whole time they speculated about life at Hogwarts.

Eventually, Tolly reappeared to tell them that the Grimsbys had to leave. The boys headed downstairs, agreeing to stay in touch over the summer and to arrange a date to go to London together to get their school supplies.

'There you are, Al. You boys have fun?' Mr Grimsby enquired.

'Yes, Dad,' said Alex in a way that sounded like he was embarrassed by his well-meaning father.

'Well, it was good to see you, Maxwell. Good to see you, too, Gideon,' said Mr Grimsby with a smile on his handsome face as he extended a handshake in Gideon's direction. Gideon was caught off guard by the gesture but returned the handshake. As their hands met, he felt a short but definite pain in the palm of his hand, like a pinprick.

Mr Grimsby didn't seem to have noticed anything, but when he withdrew his arm, Gideon could have sworn he saw something black in the palm of the man's hand. Mr Grimsby then departed with his son, disappearing into thin air a few feet from the front door with Alex on his arm.

'Dad,' Gideon said apprehensively, 'I-I think Mr Grimsby just did something to me, m-maybe accidentally. I think I saw him holding something when we shook hands and, I don't know, it burned me or something.'

Mr Maxwell looked affronted, 'Don't be ridiculous, Gideon! I was standing right next to you both. It'll be static electricity. Now, go get ready for dinner!'

Gideon considered this for a moment as he looked down at his bare feet and the smooth marble floors, and mumbled to himself with confusion, 'Static electricity?'

***

The Maxwells almost always dined together as a family. The large, polished oak table in their formal dining room sat twenty, but they used one end with Mr Maxwell seated at the head.

Gideon had always found this annoying because it usually made the seating uneven. When his siblings were away at school, the adults on the opposite side of the table tended to exclude him from the conversation. When his siblings were home, they would sit in age order, pushing him down to the furthest seat from the end. Because of this he often spent meals entertained only by the sparkling chandelier that hung above them.

'Alright, short stuff?' said Gideon's brother, Anthony with a gentle bump on the shoulder as he and Jennifer joined the rest of the family at the table.

Gideon feigned a frown, but he was used to Anthony's teasing and knew it wasn't mean-spirited.

'Oh, Gid, I need you to try something on for me later,' said Jennifer. 'I'm experimenting with a new fabric, but I can't get the fit right on my dress form.'

Gideon's frown was genuine this time. His sister's occasional requests for him to model her designs brought back embarrassing memories of their younger years, when Jennifer would dress him up in their mother's clothes.

'Why the two of you always need to be last to sit down, I'll never know,' their grandmother said indignantly before Gideon could object, using the reflection of a knife to adjust the elegant tiara atop her coiffed hair.

'You never heard of being fashionably late, Gran?' asked Jennifer with a smile, while sweeping her long brown hair over her shoulder.

'Don't talk to me about fashion, young lady,' she replied eagerly as if presented with the perfect setup. 'I've seen those robe designs you've been working on, Jennifer, and really!'

'I think they're great!' Anthony told their grandmother with laughter in his voice.

'Well, of course, you do! I've seen house elves with more material on them!' she replied reproachfully.

The children laughed quietly. Shocking their grandmother had always entertained them. She had old-fashioned values and little patience for subtlety, so it was easy to provoke a response from her.

'Styles are changing, Annabeth,' commented Mrs Maxwell. 'They won't be for everyone, but I think Jenny's designs have real potential.'

'Oh, yes. Potential to end up in a window down Knockturn Alley, that is!' the older woman retorted.

'That'll do, Mother,' said Mr Maxwell flatly as Tilly and Tolly approached from the adjacent kitchen with dinner.

'You know, Gran, the Knockturn Alley boutiques are actually quite on-trend this season,' Jennifer joked.

Mrs Maxwell Senior clutched her pearls, looking quite scandalised, but before she could open her mouth to admonish her granddaughter, Mr Maxwell repeated, 'That'll do!' with a look and tone of finality that made her purse her lips, and the children stifle their giggles.

The elves had prepared a sumptuous-looking fish dish in a buttery sauce, with mashed potato and roasted green beans. The children and Mrs Maxwell thanked them as they shuffled back out of the room.

As the family began their meal, Gideon thought now would be a good time to ask the question that had been on his mind, 'Did Ant or Jen ever do magic before they went to Hogwarts?'

The room seemed to go quiet for a moment. 'Why do you ask that, honey?' his mother replied.

'Well,' Gideon said hesitantly, 'when I was talking with that boy, Alex earlier, he mentioned he'd done some magical things by accident, and that friends of his had too. Is that common?'

'It happens—' his grandmother started.

'Sometimes. Sometimes it happens,' his mother interrupted, 'but no, it's not common.'

Everyone continued eating, but the atmosphere seemed to have changed. 'So, Ant and Jen didn't? Do any accidental magic, that is?' Gideon pressed.

'No,' his father responded simply. 'Now eat your dinner, Gideon,' he added before changing the conversation to the regular daily troubles of inheriting a department from "the chosen one".

Gideon got his answer, but he couldn't help thinking that his grandmother's raised eyebrows had a furtive look about them.

***

Gideon felt exhausted after dinner. The day had seemed so long, even though he had left school early. He pressed his finger to the magical calendar hanging on the back of his bedroom door and an animated frog exploded over the day's date. His first day at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was now just over five weeks away!

Gideon climbed into bed and quickly fell into a deep sleep. He dreamed that he and Alex Grimsby were being attacked by a swarm of his miniature brooms, which now had stingers and made dangerous buzzing sounds.

They ran down to the foyer to get help from their fathers, but Mr Grimsby had morphed into a crab-like creature and was insisting Gideon shake his snapping pincer. Gideon looked to his father, but Mr Maxwell seemed quite unconcerned, merely saying, 'It'll be the static electricity.'

Gideon escaped through the front door and jumped into the car, now a convertible, with his grandmother at the wheel. She floored it and the car soared into the sky. She repeatedly tapped at the radio with her wand to no avail.

'What's wrong?' Gideon asked her.

'It happens—' she started to say before she was interrupted by Tilly, who had emerged from the back seat.

'Sometimes. Sometimes it happens,' said the elf as she lunged for the steering wheel. 'Hold on!'

The car took a nosedive and somehow landed softly in the Johnston Primary School car park. They got out and were immediately assaulted by a deluge of dodge balls with devilish grins and pointed teeth. Gideon was forced to the floor where he began writhing in pain.

Just then, the dream changed. Gideon was small. Smaller than usual. He was in his childhood buggy, riding a Muggle bus. To his left was his mother in the nearest seat, struggling to keep a rambunctious Anthony away from the bell buttons. When the bus next stopped, Anthony made a dash for freedom through its open doors.

'Anthony Maxwell come back here this instant!' his mother commanded as she immediately chased after him. She quickly caught him by the wrist and pulled him back to the bus, but the doors closed. Gideon watched nervously from his buggy as she pounded on the door and screamed for the driver, but slowly began to disappear from his sight.

The toddler began to cry for his mother. The passengers around him began to fuss and make noise. The bus wasn't stopping. His mother had left him all alone. Gideon was scared, confused, and desperate. His cries intensified and then he felt it. A relentless pain somewhere inside his head.

His ear-curdling screams were punctuated only by his uncontrollable shaking. The passengers, now barely discernible, looked down at him with terrified expressions. The bus came to a stop, Mrs Maxwell appeared, the toddler's vision faded to black, and Gideon woke up covered in a cold sweat.

He bolted upright in bed and tried to calm down. Parts of his dream were fading fast, but his brief journey on the bus remained clear. Gideon realised that he had recovered a memory, perhaps triggered by his episode at school. It was from the other time that he had experienced that searing pain. But what, if anything, did it mean?

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

2.2K 140 24
I will post a few memes in the middle of the page
118K 2K 33
(A/N: I do not own any of the pictures or characters used in this fanfic.) You all know Perseus Jackson, the great hero son of Poseidon. We know his...
74.7K 522 14
ddot and dd imagines🫦 no smut and shii they still minors . notti , and edot are kingggzzzz 👑(LLN💙🕊️, LLE🕊️) and enjoy the show🫦
8.3K 90 11
A Jinora and Kai Fanfic. In the modern world. Jinora is Republic city's perfect Princess. And Kai is a disruptive bad boy, who has just move to Repu...