I Was Only Human

By Jellyphish

"Holly! Holly! What did you see?" Anthony was gently shaking me, stroking my hair. I stayed silent for a few... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5: Ryan's Story [bonus]
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15: Ryan's Story [bonus]
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25: Ryan's story [bonus]
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28: Epilogue

Chapter 20

7.3K 233 3
By Jellyphish

(dedicated to mikkel, for coming up with the idea of expanded visions!)

This meeting would never end. I was convinced of it. Five hours in it felt like we were working out literally every note of the score. Yesterday we had gone over several hours of material too. I needed caffeine.

Make sure Clay takes you to get food after. Ryan told me.

Mmmk.

"Holly, we love it. You're really outdoing yourself on this one." The producer told me. I smiled widely.

"We have one more request of you. It'll be the last thing for this project." I could tell the meeting was finally wrapping up.

"Holly, we want you to compose the main theme for this movie." My jaw dropped open.

"Me? What? I thought Clay was doing it!?" The producer shook his head.

"We told you that so that we could see how you work without feeling incentive or pressure." My mouth wouldn't close.

"Really? Are you serious?" The producer's smile grew wider.

"Yes Holly. We love what you've done so far, and we think you'll be able to set the mood for this movie." I glanced over at Clay and he was grinning at me.

"Thank you!" I wanted to hug the producer. This was such a great opportunity! Instead I settled for hugging Clay. Everyone laughed at my excitement.

"Just finish it by New Years." He instructed. My smile didn't fade. I could do that in two months. I would have Clay critique it too.

"I think we're done here. Thanks for taking the time to come and meet for so long Holly. By the way, I heard you're the new Luna of the Western US. Congrats!" The producer smiled at me. I was surprised that even humans were hearing about it now.

"Clay, just finish up that last piece and we should be good to go. I'm so glad I chose you guys." We all stood up from the table and I was surprised by the producer pulling us in for a group hug.

"I'll see you guys for one last meeting at the beginning of January." We shook his hand and then left the conference room.

"Congrats Holly. Did you tell Ryan?" He grimaced slightly. Ryan and Clay still didn't seem to like each other much. Would they ever?

"I'd rather tell him in person. I'm hungry. I need caffeine. Can we go get some food?" I begged. Clay chuckled.

"Yeah, let's go to my favorite local cafe. It's actually pretty close to the pack house. We have to celebrate your new achievement!" We walked out the doors of the studio building and went to Clay's car. Some kind of Range Rover. I don't know much about cars.

I hopped in as Clay started the car.

"How far is it from here?" I asked.

"Only about ten minutes." I sighed in relief. I really was getting hungry.

We sat in silence for a few moments.

"I want to meet Laura as soon as possible." He stated. I smiled over at him.

"I'm sure that can be arranged. I'm sure Ryan would be more than happy to."

"Yeah, to keep me away from you." He turned to me and stuck out his tongue and then stared back at the road.

"Something like that." I agreed. I just wanted Clay to be happy.

"Here it is." He pulled into the parking lot of a ma and pa type dinner right against the forest. It looked cozy, and I got the impression that they made good food.

"Let's go!" I opened my door and hopped out, shutting it quickly. Clay laughed and was by my side in a moment. Suddenly he froze.

"Shit." He swore loudly. I whipped around.

"Clay?"

"Holly get back to the car."

"But I'm starving!"

"No Holly. You need to get back. Rogues are-" he was cut off by a menacing growl. I flipped around to the forest to see five or six wolves surrounding us, and three surrounding the car. The opening I saw led to the forest. Crap.

Clay I'm going to run into the forest. Before he could reply I bee-lined it to the forest, knowing the wolves would be following me. I hoped I would give Clay time to shift. 

Ryan, rogues. Was all I could manage as I ran through the trees. I could hear the sound of paws hitting the ground and low growls closing in on me. 

I know where you are. Ryan told me. I could hear the anger behind his calm facade. I kept running. Crap crap crap. I felt something swipe at my leg, causing me to fall down. I put out my hands in time to brace myself for the impact. I felt my hands get cut as I fell to the forest floor and I hissed out with pain. I quickly scrambled up to my feet, turning to the wolves who surrounded me. There were three, and I could tell they were not happy that I had run for it.

"Um, hi." I told them. Why on earth was I talking to them? The one closest to me growled in response. He bore his teeth at me and prepared to pounce. 

The werewolf threw himself at me. I shut my eyes tight, trying to think of a way to defend myself. Nothing hit me, so in my surprise I opened my eyes again. The werewolf was completely still in midair. I saw vibrations around him. The sound waves I had seen in my vision. Instinctively I willed the vibrations to focus in on the wolf. Time unfroze and the wolf was immediately knocked unconscious. 

The other two wolves whipped their heads around, trying to find the threat. I willed myself to see the vibrations again, to defend myself. I saw it around the brown wolf furthest from me, and I threw the vibrations to the left. The wolf flew to the left and hit a tree, falling unconscious. The third wolf must have realized that I was the one doing it, and he turned back toward me, growling ferociously. I tried to make the vibrations appear again but fear took over me. The wolf growled and slowly slunk toward me. 

I love you Ryan. I called. The vibrations still wouldn't appear. My eyes widened as the wolf stood only five feet in front of me. Another ferocious growl ripped through the forest and I flash of black tackled the wolf to the ground. Before the rogue could react I heard a sickening snap, and the wolf fell limp. I felt tears building up in my eyes. My body started to shake and I couldn't do anything. I could hear sobs break through my throat. Ryan had saved me. I saw a few other wolves run in behind Ryan and they approached the ones I had knocked unconscious. They took their tails in their mouth and pulled them away. A dark brown wolf with dark brown eyes stood behind Ryan, staring at me. Sobs continued to rip through my body. 

Holly. Ryan mindlinked. He slowly approached me and nuzzled my limp hand with his nose. His touch began to calm me. 

Someone get me some shorts. I heard him mindlink. A minute later a wolf threw some at him. Ryan shifted and threw on the shorts, then pulled me into his arms.

"Holly. I'm here now. You're okay." My breathing began to slow. Being in Ryan's arms made me feel safe. He kissed my head.

"Clay, tell your Luna to come get us. We need to get back and talk to Vince." Ryan turned his head to address the dark brown wolf. 

"T-thank you C-clay." I stammered out. I was starting to regain control of my body. Ryan's head snapped back to me.

"I'm so glad you're safe." He whispered, leaning down to kiss my mark. It helped me calm down even more. 

"I-I found my Luna power." I told him. 

"I noticed. You knocked those wolves out. How did you do it?" 

"I can control sound." I told him. My voice was finally coming back to me. 

"You'll have to tell me later. For now, we're going back." 

"Ryan." Ilsa called from behind him. Ryan picked me up bridal style and walked over to Ilsa.

"Thanks Emilsa. Let's go." She couched Ryan's arm and Clay's head. Suddenly, we were back in the pack house, inside Vince's office.

"Thank goodness." Vincent breathed. Ryan set me down in a chair and stood up to face Vince.

"Vince. It's just like last time with Emma." Ryan growled. Clay echoed the growl. 

"She looks like Emilsa." Clay had shifted and was completely naked. I quickly averted my eyes. 

"Clay put some pants on." Ryan growled. He was not in a good mood. Vince opened a drawer and threw a pair of shorts to him. After a few seconds I guessed I could look at him. 

"It's the same, don't you see? It's the same rogues. They want Holly because she looks like Emilsa. They wanted Emma for the same reason."

"Then why didn't they kill Holly? They killed my sister." Emilsa whispered. The room was silent.

"Maybe they've given up on getting Ilsa. She can teleport out of any situation. Maybe they're settling for a look alike now." I suggested. Everyone's eyes turned to me.

"If that's true, then you're in danger Holly." Vincent told me with serious eyes. 

"I won't let this happen again." Clay hissed. Ryan let out a overpowering growl. 

"NO ONE WILL TOUCH MY MATE." He started heaving. I put an hand on his arm to calm him down. 

"It's best you return to Washington, where your pack can protect you." Emilsa told us. 

"I will protect you Holly." Ryan whispered. I wasn't really worried about myself though- I worried about those who would get hurt trying to protect me. I wasn't worth the thousands of pack members in our pack. 

Everyone loves their Luna Holly. Without you, there is no pack. We will figure this out Holly. 

I took a deep breath.

"Yeah, let's go home." I agreed. Within thirty minutes we were all packed up and ready to drive home. Emilsa handed me a bagel with creme cheese.

"I know you were hungry, sorry this is all I could get for you!" She pulled me into a quick hug.

"Just call and I'll be there." She whispered in my ear.

Absolutely. I told her. Vince pulled me in for a hug next.

"I'm sorry your first visit here ended up being so eventful." He frowned and I chuckled slightly. Finally, Clay came to give me a hug. 

"I'm so sorry Holly. I should have protected you."

"It's okay Clay. You didn't know. And it was only you." He gripped me tighter.

"Hey, come down and visit soon. We'll introduce you to Laura." I promised. He kissed my cheek.

"See you soon Holly." He promised back. After one last wave, we climbed into the car and pulled away.

"Everyone loves you Holly. Me most of all. We won't let anything happen to you." He held my hand and steered with his left. 

"By the way, the producers want me to create the main theme for the movie." I wanted to lighten the mood a bit. 

"What? Why didn't you tell me!?" He smiled widely.

"I was going to when I got home. I'm going to start on it as soon as we get back to Washington." I told him. It would be a good distraction. 

"Holly, I want you to move into the pack house until we figure this out." I felt myself stiffen.

"We've got a music room for you to compose." He reminded me. I sighed. 

"Can my family at least visit?" I whispered. He nodded.

"Of course." 

"Can Anthony come stay there for a while?" I don't think I could be separated from my twin for too long. We hadn't been apart for more than a week at a time.

"Yes." 

"I'm so sorry Holly. I wish it could be different. I wish you didn't have to be under protection 24/7." 

"I know you just want to keep me safe." I told him. He squeezed my hand.

"Whenever I'm not with you, either Ashton or Mason will be with you." I sighed again. Oh great, body guards.

"How about a female?" I suggested. 

"That's an option too." 

"We'll figure this out." I promised.

"I know we will, eventually." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84 11 10
"Channing..?" I screamed. "TURN AROUND AND FACE IT LIKE A MAN!" I yelled. "You are all I have now Channing. You are all I have Channing. Alpha or not...
991K 22.4K 23
He caressed my soft cheek with his rough hands yet so gentle whenever they touch me"Jade,my love don't leave me come back with me" He is so vulnerabl...
227K 3.3K 14
"Beautiful" He whispered, bringing his face in my neck as he inhaled my scent. "You are only for the two of us" Another pair of arms wrapped around b...
Markie By RuHu

Werewolf

1.5K 92 9
All werewolves have mates. So what happens when you fall for someone before you're 18... "Hopefully hes my mate" is all Markie can think as she waits...