The Skin Walker

By amaraxwrites

[being rewritten] *book 1 of the Galilean Moon series* "After every killing, a scar of the victim will appear... More

The Skin Walker
00 | Prologue
PART I
01 | Feeling of Freedom
02 | The ICA
03 | Unfamiliar Roads
04 | Educated Guess
05 | No Sleep At All
06 | Twins
07 | Animal Eyes
08 | Alpha, Beta, Gamma
09 | I've Seen Worse
10 | Right Timing
11 | Aggressive and Demanding
12 | The Cursed Children of the Moon
13 | The Highest Mountain
14 | Et Skin Walker
15 | Not a Monster
16 | Physical Contact
17 | Cower Into Submission
18 | Choosing to Stay
20 | Bouquet
21 | Cain and Abel
22 | Soulmate
23 | Manipulated
24 | Into The Rabbit hole
25 | Zoloto
26 | A Distraction
27 | In The Rain

19 | An Angel

1.7K 89 55
By amaraxwrites

"I would pay the costs to be in your arms again."

From the Grave James Arthur

R U T H

A man laid on the hospital bed with his face turned to us at the sound of the door opening. His laboured breaths echoed through the room, the rasp resonating deep within his lungs. My heart squeezed at the sound. Rueben's father was on his deathbed.

"Ben?" His raspy voice called out for Rueben. "Is that you, son?"

"Yeah, babá, it's me," Rueben replied to his father in a foreign language. I assumed it was Greek.

"Who-" The man inhaled, trying to catch his breath. "You're not alone." His warm brown eyes lingered on my face before glancing back at Rueben.

I did the same and watched as he looked down to me, his face softening. It was like he was at ease and it made me comfortable. Maybe I had been overthinking for no reason at all because Rueben's father didn't look like he wanted to send me away any time soon.

"Who's this young lady, Ben?" Ezekiel asked in a weak voice.

"This is Ruth," Before Rueben could finish introducing me, his father held out his shaky hand, his palm asking for my hand.

The room held some kind of warm, comforting aura and when Mr. Andino locked his eyes with my own, I couldn't help but walk to him. Rueben stayed where he was as I placed my hand in his father's fragile one.

He looked young, but ill. I now knew that werewolves aged more slowly than humans did, so I kept that in mind as I took in this man's face. He appeared to be in his late thirties, but I knew he was much older in reality.

"Can I ask you a question, Ruth?" Mr Andino's smile grew wider, the sides of his eyes wrinkling as he squinted in happiness. They were almost the same shade as Rueben's, just much darker, borderlining the colour brown more than gold.

"Of course, Mr Andino," I said softly.

His grip on my hand tightened, not so much to hurt me, just to keep me beside him. The few creases on his forehead deepened as he took in my face, maintaining eye contact as he asked me his question. 

"Do you believe," He paused to take a breath. "That there could be a chance of my kind making it to Heaven?"

Forcing myself to breathe, I inhaled sharply and opened my mouth to say something. But his question was peculiar. Never in many years would I have thought of the answer to that. It hadn't occurred to me that werewolves had existed for many years before me until now, and I wasn't one to formulate an answer to that kind of question.

"Uh," I cleared my throat and spared a glance toward Rueben.

He wasn't in his spot at the door anymore. Rueben stood in front of a windowsill on the other side of his father's bed. His eyes were looking at the view ahead, but I knew his ears were anticipating the sounds from in here. The pause in my breath, the rapid beat of my heart, the nervous gulp I took as I returned my gaze to Mr Andino.

"I can't give you an answer to that," I replied honestly. "But I can tell you that my mother is religious, and she'd often tell me that her God is a forgiving God. I'd like to think that He'd let you in - that He'd let most of us into His home up there."

The ill man hummed, closing his eyes in response.

"Forgive me for asking such a complex question," Mr Andino's hoarse voice whispered to me after a moment of silence.

I chuckled softly. "It's okay. The amount of questions I've asked in the past few weeks probably don't compare."

His lips tilted upward while his eyes remained closed. Smile lines marked the sides of his face, and it made me wonder how Rueben would look like if he smiled at me the same way.

"And everyone has different answers to those questions - your one. I just don't want you thinking that mine is correct. I simply like to believe it is."

"That's right," His eyebrows drew together as he tried to connect something in his mind. "Your presence is very calming. You must be an Angel, Ruth." A grin appeared on Mr Andino's lips. 

When he opened his eyes again, I smiled at him, and he squeezed my hand gently. Mr Andino sighed before gradually turning his head to look for his son. Rueben was still by the window, this time glaring at a spot on the window frame. I wondered if my response to his father's question was the cause of the frown on his lips. I wanted to take it away. I was becoming resentful of that frown. I wanted to see him smile. 

"I take it you're with Rueben?" Mr Andino asked and I glanced back at his bright eyes. 

"Yeah, I guess so," I answered with a smile playing on my lips.

He laughed, a deep joyful sound replacing the tension in the room. As it died down, Rueben's father inspected me again. 

"You're human," He stated. "I approve." 

I scoffed, grinning at his statement. "I'm glad."

"Did you choose to stay here with us, Ruth?" Mr Andino asked in a low tone, the smile on his face softening.

"Yes, sir, I did," I replied without hesitation.

"Now, I'm not going to object to that because you seem like a wonderful woman, but-" He pulled my hand closer to him, drawing me near. "I need to warn you that some bad days may lead to this - a deathbed."

I nodded, taking his words into consideration.

"You'll learn, though. I know you will. My pack is resilient. They will be the same as we were many years ago. We just need some help getting there again. You're the help, Ruth. I believe you will help us, right?" The hope in his eyes weighed on my heart.

"I will help, Mr Andino."

My hand squeezed his hand to reassure him that his pack was in good hands. If not in mine, than in his son's.

"No human would choose this life, Ruth," He told me like it was a fact. "But you did. And good things will come to you because of it."

I continued to nod, lost for words. He was praising me for staying when his son had reacted differently. I lifted my gaze to Rueben. He was peering out of the window again before feeling my gaze on the side of his handsome face. His head turned and our eyes met.

He was thinking about a lot of things. It was written on his face for me to see. The way his eyebrows were drawn together made me want to smooth them out again. Why did he like to punish himself? He was making things more difficult for himself by rejecting the idea that I was his mate. Why didn't he even want to try?

Feeling my face burning up from a mixture of anger, confusion and fluster, I moved my eyes back to Mr Andino.

"My time on this Earth is running out," His words caused a strain in my heart. "It has been since the war-"

For the first time in my presence, Rueben's father's eyes became glazed with a silvery glow. I recognised it and snapped my head to Rueben. He was looking at me with the same glaze in his eyes. He was having a private conversation with his father. It was about the war, I knew it was.

I tensed my jaw and looked away. Rueben didn't want me to know about the war yet. Not when I knew who was involved. My mate didn't want me to think of his father as anything bad. I wished he knew I was open-minded. It just went to show how little trust he had in me. That would change soon.

"I have a great feeling about you, Ruth," Mr Andino murmured when they stopped the mindlink. "Promise me you'll give my pack a chance? That you'll look out for them?"

"Mhm, I promise," I uttered.

"And my children," His voice lowered, but I knew Rueben heard him anyway.

"Yes," I whispered, nodding earnestly.

"And my Rueben," He mouthed.

My heart warmed. Destiny was pushing me toward Rueben. He was my mate after all. Of course, I'd give him a chance. Of course, I'd look out for him. Not only as his mate, but the Luna of his pack. That was what everyone else told me I was destined for.

"He'll be in good hands," Mr Andino breathed out, closing his eyes as if exhausted and relieved. "I trust in that. You seem like a wonderful woman, Ruth."

"Thank you, Mr Andino," I smiled at Rueben's father with admiration.

"Please, call me Ezekiel," He used his other hand to pat the top of mine.

"It was an honour meeting you, Ezekiel."

A proud, weak smile emerged on his lips as he slipped his hands out of mine. Ezekiel needed rest, and I wanted him to regain his energy, so I moved away and walked toward the door.

Rueben walked to his father's side and planted a soft kiss on his forehead. 

"Min tin adíseis na fygei," Ezekiel spoke to Rueben in a hushed voice, but I could still hear the unfamiliar words. "Xéro óti eínai aftí."

Rueben exhaled deeply and moved away from his father. 

"Let's go," He walked past the open door and I followed behind, sparing one last look at the precious man on the hospital bed.

On the way back to the car, Rueben walked in a way that blocked the receptionist from seeing me. Fully aware of his action, I drew closer to him, and he noticed. He was tense as we got into the car and drove back to his place.

"If it's too much pressure, you'll let me know," He grumbled as he parked in the driveway of his house minutes later.

"Alright," I replied because he didn't give me much of a choice to say anything else.

Reuben opened the door for me and waited until I was out before closing the door behind me. I made a move to get to the front door of his home, but he reached an arm out to cage me in. His scent engulfed my senses, our eyes locking as he stepped forward.

"I know what you're trying to do," Rueben drawled.

I held my breath as he tilted his head down so that our eyes were at the same level. Steadily, I mirrored his glare.

"What is it that you think I'm doing, Rueben?" I challenged, daring him to get me to stop.

His chest expanded and deflated unevenly, growing closer to mine with each breath. The proximity was suffocating, but the eye contact kept me standing firm before him.

"I'm not changing my mind," Rueben stated.

"Nobody said otherwise," I shrugged.

His eyes narrowed. Lowered eyebrows made the gold glow dim.

"Whatever game you're playing, it ends now."

"Really, I'm not doing anything," I held my ground.

"Don't think you can change my mind. You can't. It's too dangerous to even try, so don't, Ruth," Rueben practically growled.

Scoffing, a small smile melded onto my lips. His eyes dropped to it, the glare intensifying.

"There is no game. There is no act. This is just how I am, Rueben, and if you feel threatened by me as I am now, then maybe it won't be so much of a challenge to change your mind," I told Rueben, almost taunting him.

When he darted his eyes back to mine and didn't say anything else, I continued.

"Your dad likes me. He approved of me, and that scares you," My tone softened. "Speaking of playing games, don't think I didn't notice yours. See, I think you took me to your dad because you thought it would change my mind. I think you took me to see him so that I could get scared of this life, that I would take one good look at him and run for the hills."

The tick of his jaw made me believe I hit a soft spot.

"But like I told him, and promised him, I'm giving this pack a chance. I'm giving you a chance," I reminded him, wearing my heart on my sleeve when I reached a hand out to cup the side of his face.

Rueben turned his head to the side, closing his eyes tightly. I only felt his jaw tighten before I removed my hand from his face. Rejection. Disappointment. It hurt, but didn't wear me down. I knew it would take time for his walls to break, and they would eventually. Not now. But soon.

"I know a monster when I see one," I murmured. "And you're not it. If you wanted to hurt me, you would've."

"It doesn't work like that," He shook his head, turning to look at me again. Frustration filled his face.

"Yeah, you told me," I whispered, finding the necklace he gave me around my neck. "You gave me this for protection. Motive is what differentiates a monster and a normal being, you know? Your motives aren't like those of monsters."

Rueben blinked at me. He didn't say anything for a while. His eyes assessed me and then softened. All hints of anger fading away into one of sadness.

"Άγγελος," He whispered, the soft breath from his mouth brushing my nose. [Angel]

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. The word sounded easy to translate, but I didn't want to misinterpret it.

A sigh fell heavy from his lips before Rueben allowed his forehead to rest on mine. It only lasted a millisecond - because he was afraid of hurting me - and then he stepped away. Looking around the front yard, Rueben placed a hand on his chest and murmured something under his breath.

I didn't ask what he was doing. He didn't let me because he had more to say. My heart was racing unevenly, and it felt like it was going to burst out of me.

"Your mother is going to be here tomorrow," Then my heart felt like it wasn't beating at all. 

"What?" I gasped in shock. 

"She's going to stay here. It's safer, you know, from Jerome and your dad," He explained without looking at me. 

"And it's okay with you that she's going to stay in your territory?" I rushed out, half excited and half nervous that he wasn't okay with it at all.

"If I wasn't, then I wouldn't bring her here," He grumbled, but my happiness didn't allow me to be mad at him. 

"I can't thank you enough for doing this, Rueben," My joy brought a slight grin to his lips and without warning, I brought my lips to the side of his face and placed a quick kiss, instantly pulling away, leaving Rueben to stand frozen in his spot. 

I didn't get the chance to see his reaction because I rushed back to the house as he stood there with the tips of his ears painted a deep shade of rose.

______________

a/n: slow progress is still progress hehe

[NOT EDITED]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.2K 1.8K 39
Nevaeh, the pack servant, hopes her mate will one day take her to a love-filled world where there are no daily beatings on her schedule. But when th...
62.7K 1.9K 43
Iris has had a difficult life, running from her past and living like a nomad. She is not a regular wolf. She curses the Moon goddess for the gifts sh...
11.3K 862 20
(if you haven't read The Girl With Two Mates, then don't start reading this. Please read that one first because this is the sequel) I'm no longer Sop...
365K 11.8K 83
****REWRITING IN PROCESS**** A thousand years ago, seven stars sat illuminated in the night sky, surrounded by the moon, wrapped around its comfort a...