My Boyfriend is a Freak (Publ...

By missflimsy

Kung sa "My Boss is a Freak" ay napatunayan niyong posibleng magkaroon ng isang unbelievably handsome, smart... More

My Boyfriend is a Freak
1: Mira
2: Vren
3: Mira
4: Vren
5: Mira
6: Vren
7: Mira
8: Vren
9: Mira
10: Vren
11: Mira
12: Vren
13: Mira
14: Vren
15: Mira
16: Vren
17: Mira
18: Vren
19: Mira
20: Vren
21: Mira
22: Vren
23: Mira
24: Vren
25: Mira
26: Vren
27: Mira
28: Vren
29: Mira
30: Vren
31: Mira
32: Vren
33: Mira
34: Vren
35: Mira
36: Vren
37: Mira
38: Vren
39: Mira
40: Vren
41: Mira
42: Vren
43: Mira
44: Vren
45: Mira
46: Vren
47: Mira
48: Vren
49: Mira
50: Vren
51: Mira
52: Vren
53: Mira
54: Vren
55: Mira
56: Vren
57: Mira
58: Vren
59: Mira
60: Vren
61: Mira
62: Vren
63: Mira
64: Vren
65: Mira
66: Vren
67: Mira
68: Vren
69: Mira
71: Mira
72: Vren
73: Mira
74: Vren
75: Mira
Finalé: Vren
Finalé: Mira
The Montevillas' First Christmas: A Special Chapter
Author's Note
MBIAF 2 is Now Published under Pop Fiction!

70: Vren

133K 2K 475
By missflimsy

Deliberately meeting up with Chase Constantino — the guy whose guts I completely hated — wasn't something I envisioned myself doing, but I was desperate to know anything that might lead us to the identity of Zac's real father. The most sensible thing to do, of course, was talk to the person who prided on being Bella's confidant during her trying times.

When I told him the reason why I wanted to talk to him, Chase's face registered surprise.

"You're not Zac's father? Damn." He chuckled, more bitterly than anything. "That came as a huge shock to me. All this time, ikaw ang pinaniniwalaan kong tatay ng bata. Now, I don't know what to think anymore."

"How can I be sure that you aren't lying? Baka ikaw pala ang totoong ama ni Zac. Baka pinapaikot mo lang kaming lahat," I accused him.

"Wow. What a stupid thing for you to say." He scoffed. "Ano naman ang mapapala ko sa pagsisinungaling, Vren? In case Mira missed telling you this, Bella was already pregnant when I met her in Australia. Paano mangyayaring ako ang tatay ni Zac?"

"Right." I sighed. "Do you have any idea on who it might be, then?"

He shook his head. "I wish I did, but I'm just as clueless as you are. Like I said, I always thought you to be Zac's father. How could I think otherwise, gayong ikaw lagi ang bukambibig ni Bella? Naririndi na nga ako sa pangalan mo."

In that moment, I was forced to look at things in Chase's perspective, especially at how frustrating it must have been to try getting loved back by a woman who was clearly hung up on somebody else. Suddenly, I felt sorry for the guy.

"I'm sorry for being the reason why Bella never loved you back," I told him in earnest.

Chase looked taken aback at my sudden change of tone, but he just shrugged eventually. "I hated you for it. But now that she's gone, it doesn't really matter anymore. I suppose I should just get over it."

"There really isn't anything else to do," I agreed. "Let's just move on with our lives."

He nodded. "Look, if you're really serious with your attempt to find out who Zac's father is, I won't be of much use to you. Pero susubukan kong tanungin ang iba pang mga naging kaibigan ni Bella sa Australia. Baka may napagsabihan siya kahit isa man sa kanila."

"Really? You'll help?"

"No need to act surprised. I'm not doing this for you, anyway — I'm doing it for Zac."

"Of course. But all the same, I'm thankful."

****

Mira and I decided to drop by the dela Merced residence and pay her nephew a visit before calling it a day. Although my girlfriend was a bit disappointed to hear that Chase also had no clue about Zac's dad, she was overjoyed to learn that her college friend and I already decided to bury the hatchet.

"Mabuti naman at nagkaayos na kayong dalawa," she remarked. "Akala ko ay habambuhay na lang kayong mag-aangilan."

"Yeah. It feels good to make peace with yet another person on my hate list," I confessed with a chuckle.

Zac was, as expected, delighted to see me and his Tita Mommy. We helped him with his homework, and too soon, it was his bedtime.

Mira, ever the sweetest aunt, read the kid a story before we bid him good night.

"...Mother Bunny was reunited with her two babies, who were delighted to see their mommy back. And so, they lived happily ever after. Do you want to hear another story, Zac?"

"No, Tita Mommy. I better sleep now." Zac yawned. "Good night, Tita Mommy. Good night, Daddy."

"Good night, baby." Mira kissed him on the cheek. I, on the other hand, said, "Good night, buddy," before kissing him on the forehead.

We stayed with Zac until we were sure that he's fast asleep, which didn't take a long time. He must have been exhausted from school.

"Vren..." My girlfriend nudged me once we're out of his nephew's bedroom, her voice lowered to a whisper. "Paano natin sasabihin kay Zac na hindi talaga ikaw ang daddy niya? Nagi-guilty ako. Habang tumatagal ay lalo siyang naa-attach sa'yo. Mas mahihirapan siyang tanggapin ang totoo kapag sinabi na natin 'yon sa kanya."

"I know that," I replied in a morose tone. "But I just couldn't bear to tell him the truth yet."

Mira exhaled heavily. "Napakahirap naman ng sitwasyon. Kung sana lang talaga ay hindi tayo iniwan kaagad ni Ate Bella..."

Out of an inexplicable impulse, I retrieved from my pocket the first thing I received from Zac — his mom's gold locket. After finding out that I am not his biological father, I started carrying it around to remind me that even though we are not blood-related, Zac and I still share a connection.

My girlfriend, of course, already knew about the locket, too. But this was the first time I actually showed it to her.

"Is that it? Ate Bella's locket?" she asked, staring at the glinting object I was holding. "'Yong sinabi ng yaya ni Zac na lagi niyang nakikitang tinitingnan ni Ate?"

I nodded and handed it to her. Mira opened the locket, and together, we stared at the two tiny photos inside it.

"Another misleading clue... Kahit sinong makakita nito, iisipin talaga na mag-ama kayo ni Zac." Her face broke into a wry smile. "But this locket actually is a proof that you and her son are the two most important men in Ate Bella's life. You were lucky to know her, Vren. Sana lang, nakilala ko rin siya nang mas maaga. Sana lang, naranasan ko kung paano magkaroon ng ate."

"You could've been each other's best friend," I told Mira, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "It's a shame you found out about Tito Arkin being your dad just when Bella had already left."

"Paano kayo kung hindi naging tayo, 'no? Siguro, hanggang ngayon, hindi ko pa rin alam ang totoong pagkatao ko. You were the connection Ate Bella and I shared."

"Makes you grateful that you almost got hit by my car, doesn't it?" I chuckled.

"Hmm... medyo?" Bahagya ring tumawa si Mira, ngunit natigilan siya nang makarinig kami ng tila pag-iyak mula sa kwarto ng pamangkin niya. "Teka, naririnig mo ba 'yon?"

"Shit. I think Zac is crying. Let's check on him," I said, quite unnecessarily. And without further ado, we reentered the bedroom.

We found Zac, still with his eyes closed but calling for his mommy — obviously dreaming. My girlfriend and I shared a pained look.

"Zac? Wake up." Mira gently prodded her nephew awake. "Baby?"

"Mommy?" he asked just as he opened his eyes.

"No, baby. This is Tita Mommy." Hinagod ni Mira ang buhok ng bata. "Were you having a bad dream?"

It took a few moments for her question to sink in. When Zac spoke again, tears were already running down his face. "Yes, Tita Mommy."

"Do you want to tell me about it?"

Zac shook his head.

"Anything I could do to make you feel better? Do you want me to hug you?"

This time, Zac nodded. "Yes, Tita Mommy. Mommy used to do it, too, whenever I have a bad dream. I miss her so much."

"We all do, baby," Mira told him over their hug. "Someday, you are going to see her again. But until then... remember that there are still a lot of people who love you. Okay?"

"Yes, Tita Mommy." Zac smiled, showing an adorable gap, right where his missing front tooth should be. "I think I'll go back to sleep now."

"Do you want us to stay here with you?" I asked him as I wiped the tears off his cheeks.

"No, Daddy. I'm a big boy now."

"I see," I replied, chuckling. "In that case, Tita Mommy and I will see you again tomorrow. Sleep tight, buddy."

****

The first thing that greeted us when we got out of Zac's room was Bella's gold locket, lying on the tiled floor. Mukhang sa pagmamadali naming silipin ang kanyang pamangkin ay hindi namalayan ni Mira na nabitawan niya pala ito.

"OMG. Sorry, Vren!" she whispered, throwing an apologetic look my way. "Ano ba 'yan, ang careless ko naman!"

"No worries." I knelt to retrieve the locket from the floor. Somehow, because of the drop, the two pictures inside got dismantled from the locket.

I was about to pick up Zac's tiny picture when I froze.

"Vren, may problema ba?" Mira asked, noticing my hesitation.

Wordlessly, I handed her the picture, which landed on the floor face-down, exposing the clean white side of the photo paper. Only it wasn't that clean anymore — something was written on it. Against the white background, the black ink was a striking contrast.

What I read sent a jolt of shock through me. It was a name, deliberately etched on the back of Zac's picture...

Zachary Dann dela Merced Buenviejo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

548K 10.9K 186
#WATTYS2015 winner! -Instant Addiction and TNT Katropa Favorite One boy. One Girl. Endless possibilities. Book 1 of Endless Series #1 Short Story...
1.6M 25.6K 53
Si Ryle Sofia Harris, para sa lahat ay siya ang tipo na nakukuha ang lahat. Mayaman, maganda, maraming kaibigan at matalino pero para sa mga taong na...
458K 17.9K 57
Sigourney receives a warning from her fiancé's cousin and best man that proceeding with the wedding would be the biggest mistake of her life. Should...
10.9M 39.6K 7
Aya used to live her life normally. Living with her parents and sister who always hurt and humiliates her is fine as long as she has a complete famil...