The Opera Singer's Daughter (...

thequietwriter által

1902: Fourteen-year-old Aida Briar Norton's life at school is interrupted when two men arrive, claiming they... Több

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Three

643 79 27
thequietwriter által

Knowing that the longer it took me to work out a plan, the further I was getting from where I needed to be made it difficult to think. On the other hand, there was always the possibility that Keene and Braxton would become more relaxed as time went on. They already had the impression I was a vulnerable young woman.

As the sun dipped completely below the horizon, it became darker in the train car. The velvet seats beneath me were comfortable enough but I couldn't get settled. The gas lights were lit, and while it made my fellow passengers easier to see, I could not pick out anyone who could be an ally.

There were two elderly gentlemen, discussing a detail in their newspaper. They had to be at least sixty years old, and while they might be chivalrous, there would not be much they could do to help me.

A middle aged woman was seated with two children, who were under the age of ten. They must have been traveling for some time because the children were restless. Their mother's attention was all on them. She might be sympathetic but again, she would be powerless against Keene and Braxton.

The passengers seated on the opposite end of the car were too far for me to be able to see clearly. I decided. I was on my own in this endeavor.

When the train flew past a station, the germ of an idea took root in my mind. Would it be possible for me to separate myself from my escorts while the train was at a stop? I would have to time it precisely so that they would not be able to get back off in pursuit.

No, they'd expect that. And staying on the train while devising an excuse to get them off, was also a bad idea. I didn't want to go north.

What if I were to draw my hat pin, draw blood from one of them, and then bolt for another car? I dismissed the thought almost as soon as it entered my mind. While I knew the pin could cause considerable damage, even death if used precisely for that purpose, I wasn't eager to merely annoy the men for no purpose.

"You really should sleep, Miss Norton." Braxton's voice startled me out of my thoughts. "Otherwise you will be too exhausted to greet your parents properly."

Why were they so insistent on me sleeping? I was beginning to find it very unsettling. "I'm really not tired." As if on cue, my stomach rumbled. "I am, however, hungry. We left before I had a chance to eat anything and it has been a long time since my last meal." In the dim light, I saw Braxton flinch. "So if this is going to be a long journey, as you say, could you let me eat something?"

He pinched the bridge of his nose and heaved a sigh. "Fine. The dining car will have something."

"Excellent." I stood up promptly. Getting a better idea of what the rest of the train cars looked like, and who else was on, would be helpful when I was finally ready to make my escape.

The dining car was forward two cars. The tea that was set before me looked weak though I was grateful to drink it. There wasn't much in the way of food, a few pieces of dry toast, but it was better than nothing at all. Perhaps most people ate something at the stations?

No one else was in the car. Braxton didn't have anything to drink or eat. He didn't even watch me all that much either, only paid for the tea and toast and then stared at the opposite wall. Every few seconds, he would check his pocket watch. Not a word was said as I consumed the meager offering.

"So how long have you and Mr. Keene been working together?" I asked, finally breaking the silence.

The question caught his attention for he swung his gaze to me. He hesitated before he said, "We have been associates for some time. Why?"

"Because I can honestly say I am not sure which of you has more authority," I said honestly. I leaned back in my chair as I watched him. "He spoke to me first, but you have redirected him on several occasions. He is the one who questioned me about what I was to telegram to Miss Hunter, and you are the one who said easing my mind was the least you could do."

He pursed his lips and his brow drew into a frown. "Does it matter? We were both sent to collect you and we will deliver you as we have been instructed."

Odd phrasing. I was to be "collected" and they had been "instructed" to do the job. Did that mean someone was in charge of them? Had employed them? It was telling he did not say my father had sent or instructed them.

"There is nothing to be worried about, Miss Norton," Braxton said. He stood up from the small table. "Now that you have eaten, I hope you will be able to relax and sleep. Fretting will only make the trip seem longer."

Or, my suspicious mind speculated abruptly, they thought to carry me off the train while I slept to make sure I wouldn't know the way back. It would be an excellent way to confuse me.

"Didn't my father tell you?" I asked in an overly cheerful tone. The lie was easy to tell, and I hoped that when my mother heard it, she would approve. "I am a terrible insomniac at times. Some nights, I don't sleep a wink and I do nothing but pace my room for hours."

Braxton's eyes widened. "Oh, of course. Yes, I do recall that being mentioned. Well, then, I imagine it will be a long night for us all. Unless we can find you something to help you sleep."

Liar. It was clear he intended to remain awake as long as I was. Was he tired, and that's why he kept trying to get me to sleep? Had he and Keene been on a long journey to get to the school?

"Oh, no! Naturally Papa told you he doesn't ever want me taking a sleeping drought or any kind of drug to assist sleeping. He doesn't approve of them, you see. They have such a nasty way of making one addicted to them."

"I see. Naturally, he said that." Braxton frowned as he spoke.

He followed behind me as we returned to the train car we had been sitting in. As we passed between the cars, I noticed there was no one standing as a guard at the doors. Anyone could open the door and then fling themselves toward the ground without a single problem.

Maybe...just maybe, if I managed to evade my two escorts, I could get to the steps and disembark before anyone could stop me. The train started off slow when it left the station. Could I take the risk then?

The idea had some merit. Now I just had to think of how I would be able to leave them in their seats while I went to the end of the train car.

****

An hour passed, making it four hours in total since we had departed, and I was bored out of my mind. Even if Braxton hadn't begun to doze beside me, I would have acted just to have something to do. The train slowed as it approached the next stop.

"Is this where we get off?" I asked curiously. "It feels as though we have been on this train forever!"

Keene shook his head. "We told you it would be a long journey. The time would pass faster if you slept some."

Really, the suggestion was becoming tiresome. I might have been able to pretend to be asleep, but I wanted to be able to keep an eye on everything that happened. "And miss everything? Ridiculous! I must tell my parents everything about my journey. It is tradition."

It seemed I could say just about anything and they would believe me. I might have had fun with that, but it was time to set my plan into motion.

Faking the beginnings of illness wasn't difficult. I rested my head against the cool glass and let out a low moan. Braxton shifted beside me but said nothing. I remained quiet, determined not to be so dramatic I drew suspicion. What I really wanted to do was tap my foot, but I couldn't risk giving myself away.

Fifteen minutes passed, and the train gave the familiar jolt as it began to leave the station. It was now or never. I clapped my hand over my stomach and the other over my mouth. My eyes widened with what I hoped was desperation, and I groaned loudly through my fingers.

To my right, Braxton straightened with a frown. "Miss Norton?" he asked, his tone uncertain. "What's wrong?"

I mumbled around my hand. "Pardon me." I lurched out of my seat, which wasn't difficult with the train beginning to pick up speed. "I need..."

Braxton jumped up and made room for me to get past him. "Come straight back," he said.

Good. He didn't intend on following me. Unlike some of the newer trains, I was certain this one did not have a lavatory. Where he thought I was going to be sick, I had no idea but I rejoiced my plan was working.

Weaving from side to side, I made my way to the back. Briefly, I glanced over my shoulder. He'd leaned up to speak to his partner and was not watching me. Straightening my shoulder, I darted across to the next car.

My steps were quick as I hurried for the far end. No one tried to stop me. Once I reached the back of that car, I faced the door. The train had begun to go faster, but not too fast to make my next step completely suicidal. At least, that's what I tried to convince myself as I forced the door open.

The ground was rushing by at a breathtaking speed. Someone would notice the sound and rush of the breeze if I took too long. Taking a deep breath, I flung myself out. There were no shouts of alarm or cries to stop as I hurtled through the air. None that I heard at any rate.

I hit the ground rolling. Gravel scrapped my palms and dug into my side. Thin branches slapped against my face as I landed on a bush. My breath was knocked out of me when I finally came to a stop and it took several seconds before I felt able to pick myself up.

"Ouch," I said as I forced myself to stand. The last train car rushed past me, leaving silence in its wake. I waited for the train to come to a stop, someone having pulled the emergency brake because they had noticed me.

The train lights vanished into the night. Good.

My reticule remained securely attached to my wrist. Though I regretted having to abandon my carpet bag and my parents' letters within, it had been necessary. How suspicious would it have looked if I'd insisted on carrying it with me while pretending to be ill.

Now, I just had to get myself somewhere safe and plan my next move.

Every scrap on my skin stung as I took my first step. Thankfully, I hadn't twisted an ankle or broken any bone. Belatedly, I reached up. My hat was still in place. I counted myself truly fortunate I hadn't been injured by my hat pins.

"Next time I need to think things through better."

Hopefully, though there wouldn't be a next time. The village lights guided me as I followed the train tracks back to the station the train had just left. It took me fifteen minutes to cross the distance. The village church bell rang eight times.

Under a street lamp, I brushed at my skirt and straightened my coat, hoping no briars had caught the fabric. To get by unnoticed, I would have to look normal. Drawing attention to myself would only mean I was remembered. If I was remembered, I could be followed.

"Can I help you, miss?" an aged man sweeping the platform called out. "You just missed the overnight train."

"Oh, the one headed north?" I said breezily as if I hadn't a concern. "I wasn't wanting to go that direction. Can you tell me when the next train to London leaves?"
He shook his head. "Not until morning, Miss." He peered at me closely. "Are you in some sort of trouble?"

"Trouble? Me? Oh, not at all." I tried to think of some reason—any reason—to explain why I was there at such a late hour. "You see, my gran came to visit and she has not stopped complaining since yesterday. My poor father. He doesn't know what to do. He hasn't had a moment's peace in two days."

The man raised an eyebrow. "And you thought to help by buying a train ticket at this time of night?"

 He didn't believe me, but it was too late to change my story. "She hasn't stopped talking," I said, shrugging my shoulders. "I thought if I gave him the hope of a specific time Gran would leave it might help. Can I purchase a ticket?"

After a pause, the man just heaved a sigh. "This way." He led the way to the ticket counter. Though it was clear he'd closed it for the night, he stepped behind and named the price of a ticket. I paid with relief. Ticket in hand, I turned from the counter.

Now I just had to hide myself out of sight until I could get on the morning train. It was hours away. Going to an inn was a possibility, but the meager funds in my reticule convinced me not to try. Besides, it would make it too easy for someone to find me.

When the stationmaster turned to close his office, I darted into a tiny ladies' waiting room. It was dark, but it would suffice for the time being.

****

I managed to doze on and off for the remainder of the night. When the sun finally crept above the horizon, I was sore, cranky, and running out of patience.

The mirror showed the shadows under my blue eyes. I used the cold water to splash my face and then tried to confine my hair into a bun. There was nothing I could do about my wrinkled clothing but I held myself with pride as I joined the few people who waited for the train. A few confused looks were sent my way, no doubt because of my school uniform, but no one spoke a word to me.

When the train arrived, no one disembarked. I breathed a sigh of relief, realizing in that moment just how tense I had been. My kidnappers hadn't had time to get back to this station.

Though I worried about getting caught, I snoozed during the journey. No one bothered me or tried to engage me in conversation.

It was midday when I reached the small village where Lynbrook Manor was. The station master there, probably the oldest man I knew, was there to greet me. "No baggage, Miss Norton? Wasn't expecting you today."

"I'm on an unexpected holiday," I said with a slight smile. "Have my parents come through here in the last week?"

The man shrugged. "Your father went to the city as usual. Haven't seen your mother since she and your father escorted you to school."

"I see. When did my father return?"

"Well, now, I don't recall. Perhaps he had a long case on his hands. Sometimes those things do happen, you know."

Or something had happened to him while he was in London. "Well, I do need to send a telegram to my headmistress to let her know I've arrived safely."

Mr. Wester raised an eyebrow at the words I dictated to him: "Arrived. Found chestnut hair. Will contact with more details. AN" But he sent it and took the last of my money.

I was certain Miss Hunter would understand the message. Whether it would ease any of her worry or only make her more concerned, I couldn't say. For a moment, I wished I could have her beside me. Her intelligence would be a great help in discovering what had happened.

Since it wasn't likely to happen, I set off on foot for home. I was thankful the day was fine, spring already beginning to take hold in the country. A warm breeze followed me and birds sang their songs in the bushes and trees on either side of the road.

It took me longer than usual to make the journey. My muscles had stiffened from the wait overnight and from sitting all morning on the train. Bruises from my jump protested every move I made.

When I saw the stone walls of my home, I gathered my strength and quickened my pace. I dearly hoped I would find my parents safely there, Papa in his study and Mum playing the piano. Mr. Wester could have been mistaken, and perhaps Papa had returned without being seen.

Oh, to have Papa take charge and make everything well once again.

The front door was locked when I tried it. My heart in my throat, I lifted the knocker and plied it with as much force as I could muster. For good measure, I pulled the bell as well.

I waited an entire minute, counting the seconds under my breath, as I stood there. Then, I called out, "Leigh? Missy? Mrs. Leigh? Is anyone here?" I plied the knocker once again, what little patience I had left abandoning me.

Bouncing on my heels, I decided to go around to the servants' entrance. Someone should be there, though why they chose to ignore the door was something I didn't understand. Gravel crunched under my feet as I hurried around.

The door at the side was unlocked and opened easily. Silence met me as I stepped through the doorway. There was a cup of tea on the table, but the contents were cold when I pressed a finger against the side. Someone had been pulled away suddenly and hadn't taken the time to finish their tea.

"What is going on?" I said aloud. My stomach twisted from hunger and fear. Even if my father had gone to the city for a lengthy business trip, Mum would surely have gone with him, no matter her distaste for London. And the Leigh's should have remained to look after the house.

Pots and frying pans hung in their place. Nothing else seemed out of place.

I found a loaf of bread that was still fresh and broke off a piece. The buttery crust melted on my tongue and at that moment was the best thing I'd tasted in ages. I devoured it as I left the kitchen.

Where were the Leighs? Where was Missy, the maid? At least one of them should have been in the house. "Leigh? Mrs. Leigh?" I said, mostly because my echoing footsteps and no other sound was unnerving. "It couldn't be their day off, could it?"

As reasonable as the thought was, I couldn't believe it. Leigh was dedicated in his duty. He would never leave the house unattended. What would induce him to do so now?

"Mum gone. Papa gone. Servants gone." And two men had come for me. It all had to be connected. "Who would do this? Why?"

"Come out or I will call the constable!"

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

14.1K 437 47
Hazel Watson has been missing for eight years. The last time John saw his little sister was in Afghanistan before she got an emergency call and left...
45.4K 1.4K 31
(Jim Moriarty X Reader) [COMPLETED] y/n Holmes, the youngest of the three Holmes siblings, decides to visit her brothers in London, fascinated by "Th...
3.8K 144 9
The world's only consulting detective, an ex-army doctor, an art therapist, and an American who loves music. These sound like four very different peo...
1.9K 230 12
Life at Walstaff School for Girls has been rather dull for Serena Norton. After having been on her own adventure and helped the great Sherlock Holmes...