darling - n.mikaelson

By annabellapi

"Nothing is with me now but a sound,   A heart's rhythm, a sense of stars" - W. H. Auden, Compline In which C... More

darling
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
Epilogue

32

24.6K 614 520
By annabellapi

Much like the first night Klaus and Charlotte spent together, it was the buzzing of a phone that pulled them awake. Correction, it pulled Charlotte awake, it was nearly noon and Klaus had been awake since ten but he'd stayed still so she could keep sleeping until she was done. It was clear to him that she needed it.

"Shh," Charlotte groaned out as the buzzing stopped and then started again, "what is that?"

Charlotte was aware she was wrapped up in somebody's arms but it took her a moment to realise who's and where she was and it was only Klaus' response to her question that allowed the answers to come flooding towards her.

"It's your phone, its rung four times."

"Oh."

Klaus had picked up her phone and glanced at the name, "it's the footballer, do you want to answer it?"

Charlotte nodded and with her eyes still pressed shut and her head tucked under his chin she pulled it to her ear.

"Hello?" she mumbled sleepily.

"Charlotte thank god," Matt's voice was frantic over the phone, "are you okay? Where are you?"

"I'm in bed. Why, what's happened?"

"Damon came into work and made some joke about you sleeping at mine more than yours," Charlotte groaned at this, remembering she'd told Damon she was sleeping at Matts but had forgotten to inform Matt of her little lie, "don't worry I told him when I left for my run with Elena you were still asleep."

Charlotte sighed in relief, curling her fingers up and flicking Klaus' chest as she felt it shaking as he laughed at her, "Thanks Matty, dinner tonight? I'll cook and explain everything."

Matt agreed with a groan that she knew was only meant to tease her, she was grateful to have a friend like him who'd cover for her when she needed. With her eyes still shut, she hung up the phone and passed it back to Klaus, hearing him place it on the table beside them.

"Morning sweetheart," Klaus murmured, his voice bringing back memories of all the nights they had spent together, "how'd you sleep?"

"I slept well," she replied politely, "really well."

Klaus' fingers were running across her head, stroking through her hair and massaging her scalp, she could hear his heart beating steadily as her head lay against his chest. She dreaded the moment she had to return to reality.

"Why haven't you been sleeping normally?" Klaus asked after a pause. He could tell by the heaviness of her sleep with him she'd been needing it desperately and it concerned him knowing she'd been struggling. Even all those times he'd seen her in town he could tell she was exhausted and more stressed than he was used to.

"I just find it hard to drift off sometimes."

"You never had problems sleeping before," Klaus pressed, knowing Charlotte wasn't giving him the full truth. When they'd been together Charlotte would almost always drift off instantly, practically passing out each time she was pulled tightly in his arms.

"I didn't have any free will then Nik," Charlotte said gently although it came out harsher than she expected and she sighed, "I've just got a lot to worry about."

"Me?"

"Not just you."

Klaus' fingers left her hair now, pulling away and shifting Charlotte up in the bed so her head lay beside his on the pillow. Her eyes were open now but she was avoiding his gaze again, looking at her fingers which still lay resting on his chest and were tapping their familiar pattern.

"Charlotte, how did you get that bruise," Klaus asked for the fourth time now. He watched her eyes flicker up to his as he asked and then away, seeking to bury her head in the pillows and groaning when he wouldn't let her.

"Why won't you drop it. It won't do any good if you know, you'll only get upset."

"Because I care about you," Klaus snapped back, this was the first time he'd really been brusque with her since that night in Chicago, "I promised that I wouldn't let you get hurt again and yet here you are with a black eye."

Charlotte's heart skipped when he said he cared about her, even despite the tone it had her apprehensive with her heart racing. How could she think she could spend the night, however innocently, and get away unscathed. She didn't want to leave his arms and it hurt knowing she'd have to pull away so soon.

"I'm not telling you. Please let it go I don't want to fight," Charlotte said, her thumb moving unconsciously across his chest as she spoke, finally and regretfully moving to push herself into a sitting position, "I should go."

"No," Klaus caught her and pulled her gently back towards him, "not yet. Don't go yet."

Charlotte knew she should leave but just like the night before, she couldn't bear to pull herself away in earnest, she wanted to hold onto this moment for as long as she could before she really put her and Klaus to rest. She knew for the sake of her family she needed to put her and Klaus to bed, she knew after this she needed to close the door, but just for a moment, she could still pretend.

"Maybe just a little longer," Charlotte murmured out, shutting her eyes.

Klaus wrapped his arms around her victoriously and pulled her in close. He was pleased to listen to her heartbeat again, pleased as it slowed and steadied out. Charlotte felt safe as she drifted back off to sleep, she knew she had to leave when she next woke up but not quite yet.

Just as she drifted off she could have sworn Klaus told her something but when she woke up she couldn't remember and he'd played dumb when she later asked. She could've sworn he kissed her head too as she was drifting away but she didn't ask him about that.

It was another few hours that Charlotte and Klaus slept before they eventually pulled awake. They were both lying awake but with their eyes shut, not letting go of the moment when a knock came at the door and then it was swung open.

"Nik," Kol's voice rang out stirring them both, "not that you're bothered but I'm leaving."

Charlotte's breath hitched at Kol's presence, she knew she wasn't tucked down far enough in Klaus' embrace to be hidden and she waited nervously for whatever quip was going to come towards her. She hadn't told Klaus that Kol was the one who'd caused the bruise, she didn't see what good it would do, but she was nervous with him around that it would get out and so her heart began to race.

"Kol," Klaus snapped back, a snarl on his face as he pushed himself up onto one elbow to look at the doorway, "typically when knocking on ones door it's customary to wait until invited in to enter."

"Dear me brother, your darling little human really got your panties in a-" here Kol was cut off as he ducked with a laugh, avoiding the pillow Klaus threw at him. "Oh hello darling," Kol finally addressed Charlotte who was propping herself up to watch him too however much she wanted to hide away, "perhaps try a little lavender under Nik's pillow for his anger-"

"Kol," Charlotte cut him off, working hard to keep her voice steady, "are you just here to taunt your brother or is there something that you needed."

"Careful darling, I only came to say goodbye. While I like pretty little things with sharp tongues-"

Klaus cut him off suddenly with warning in his voice, "If that's all you came for then leave us, brother."

Kol opened his mouth to reply but instead just pulled his lips into a cheeky grin and strode off. Klaus used his speed to slip from the bed and shut the door firmly behind him before returning to beside Charlotte who was attempting to steady her still rushing heart.

"Charlotte," Klaus asked after a moment, his eyes studying her, "why are you afraid of my brother."

Charlotte scoffed, "I'm not afraid of him."

"You are, don't forget I hear your heart race. You weren't frightened of him when you were dancing at the ball."

"Nik you're being ridiculous," Charlotte rolled her eyes and pushed herself up into a seated position, working hard to not let her fingers fidget knowing he'd catch it, "I really should get going though."

"What happened between the dance and now?" Klaus was narrowing his eyes at her now, ready to pry and find the truth out, he was already halfway there he just needed Charlotte to try and lie her way out of it and he'd have his answer for sure. He felt her slide from his grip and move to grab her clothes.

It was quick work changing back into the miscellaneous Donovan clothing she'd worn the day before but Klaus was waiting for her when she exited the bathroom. He was sitting on the bed watching her when she came out and he asked the question for the fifth time.

"Who did that to your face Charlotte?"

"Nik," Charlotte warned, her heart skipping and her eyes looking away, she busied herself with folding his clothes up neatly before making her way to her shoes and sliding them on.

She didn't say any more but when she made her way towards Klaus to slide her phone into her pocket he snapped. Suddenly Charlotte was against the wall with an arm on either side of her head, Klaus was towering over her and trapping her in.

"It was Kol wasn't it."

"Drop it," Charlotte tried to push underneath his arms but one caught her and a hand was now against her stomach holding her in place against the wall.

"That's why you won't tell me, isn't it."

"Stop it," Charlotte snapped, now furious, "I asked you to drop it and you won't. What good will it do for me to tell you your brother pushed me? I pushed him because he was hurting Matt and he retaliated. Okay? Are you happy now that you know?"

Charlotte tried to push away again but Klaus' hand stayed against her stomach and she let out a half growl of annoyance before leaning her head back against the wall in defeat.

"I don't want anyone to hurt you."

"Tough luck."

Klaus was looking down at her with an unreadable expression that made her want to fidget and escape. She had to keep her eyes on his, he looked like he was about to swoop down and kiss her again and she couldn't let him. There was silence between the two as they locked eyes, Charlotte felt her heart racing but she couldn't back down from this.

"You're different to the summer," Klaus told her, "you're stronger."

"I'm the same as I've always been, you've just started listening to me."

The pressure against her stomach lessened and Klaus let her push herself away, sighing he tugged on his own trousers and grabbed his keys to take her home. The drive back to the Salvatores was quiet, Klaus was thinking over what she'd told him.

It was the second time that day she'd talked like that and he had to admit to himself that things between them began less favourably. When they first met, Klaus was brusque and cruel with her, he used her at first to get Stefan to do things and it was only when he began to care for her that he started treating her better. Of course, he treated everyone like that, it was only really a select few who he was kind to, but he knew what she said was right.

Klaus imposed his will over everyone's even hers.

He knew the reason she'd been so mad about him feeding her his blood that night wasn't just about the Other Side, it was him proving that he was in charge and him doing something that he knew would hurt her. The whole time he'd known her she'd been fighting back against him when they argued, it was just now he listened to what she was saying.

Klaus dropped Charlotte a few blocks from the Salvatore house, they hadn't discussed it but she tapped his arm when they were near and he slid to a stop knowing what she wanted.

"I'm sorry about what happened last night with you family," Charlotte told him softly, "thank you for letting me stay."

Klaus nodded, his heart clenching at the smile she gave him as she slid from the car and that was that, she was off.

Her day passed slowly, Stefan and Damon were in and out but it was clear that Stefan was jonesing, having quit blood cold turkey and Damon gently suggested she continue to stay at Matt's until it was sorted. By the time she'd actually arrived at Matt's after stopping by the grocery store it was late but he wasn't home either. It ended up being past nine when Matt actually made it home to Charlotte sitting on the porch curled up into a ball leaning against the door.

"Charlie," Matt called out, "shit I forgot, it's been a day."

Charlotte smiled up at him, they both knew big days in Mystic Fall's were worse than big day's elsewhere.

"It's okay, I'll cook, you find drinks."

-

"So you got arrested?" Charlotte asked with a laugh. She was stirring the pasta sauce, almost finished with the meal and laughing as Matt told her the story about his day. She was only playing really, they both needed the mood to lighten up and they were used to teasing each other like siblings now.

"It's not funny!" Matt defended when she wouldn't stop laughing, "if Caroline's mum-"

"Matt you're so perfect, you're the golden child. I love that you got arrested its great."

Matt looked annoyed and he flicked the tea towel at her in retaliation, "I'm not perfect," Matt whined playfully, "just because all our friends are vampires who've killed people doesn't make me perfect."

"Not anymore, right rebel without a cause you are," Charlotte agreed.

Matt sighed defeated as he gave in, rolling his eyes, "So where were you last night you little liar. Making me cover for you."

Charlotte looked sheepish now and Matt grinned, ready to take over teasing now he had the upper hand, "Klaus'."

"Klaus'?" Matt made no effort to hide his surprise, "like.. willingly?"

"Yeah," Charlotte was pouring the pasta through the colander now, "did you hear what happened with Stefan and Damon outside the Grill with Kol after I left?"

"Yeah, Alaric daggered him."

"They were all linked, their mum linked all of them with some spell at the ball and so when Kol got daggered, all of them did," she was plating up now, Matt had grabbed them new drinks and made his way to the table with her close behind, "I was talking with Klaus when he felt Kol get daggered and his face..." here she trailed into silence for a moment, distracting herself with her food.

"Kol deserved it," Matt growled out.

"They all do," Charlotte agreed even though it hurt her to say, "it was just I got so worried, so I followed him when he sped off and they were all in an alley behind the Grill, Damon and Stefan and Elijah, Klaus, and Kol. Damon was fighting with Elijah and Klaus, I think that they'd taken Elena, but all I could think about was Klaus, I needed to know if he was alright after finding out about his mother trying to kill them. Klaus was watching me too and when Damon finally told Elijah whatever he wanted Klaus sped me back to their house to ask me what I knew."

"That still doesn't explain why you slept there though?"

"He said he'd take me home after they stopped the ritual and then I ended up falling asleep on the couch, he woke me up and offered to take me but I didn't want to go so he let me stay."

Charlotte looked down now, avoiding Matt's gaze as she picked at her food. Each time she'd gotten close with Klaus she felt ashamed and that wasn't fair on him or her. It wasn't fair on her to feel guilty for how she felt about him, and it wasn't fair on him that she felt ashamed of him. But she did. He hurt people and Charlotte felt that by caring for him, she was condoning his actions and hurting them too.

"Charlie," Matt had stopped eating and was watching Charlotte fiddle with her fork, "not that I'm a fan of the guy, at all, but you can't help who you like."

"He killed your two best friends," Charlotte replied, finally looking up, half surprised to see compassion in his eyes, "how can I like someone who did that."

"Well, both of them are alive now," Matt protested, "besides, you're allowed to be happy too you know."

Honestly he was half surprised that he was defending Klaus of all people. If it was anyone else he probably would've done everything in his power to dissuade them from liking him, but Matt knew Charlotte didn't hold these feelings lightly, and that she'd done what she could to stay away from him and hate him.

He could see too, even if she couldn't, the good influence that she had on him.

Klaus was still a murderer and a bastard and possibly a psychopath, but Charlotte did somewhat seem to be someone who he listened to. Not only that, but Klaus cared for her too. He remembered what he'd said to Charlotte as he left Caroline's after healing her too, about how he hadn't touched her even though taking her would force her brother's hand and he knew that was true. Elena was constantly guarded by someone but Charlotte was mostly with him if not her brothers and if Klaus had wanted to use her for leverage then he could've easily.

"I don't know Matt. It's all over now anyway, I wish I didn't know anything about the supernatural world in the first place." 

Matt sighed as he held up his beer in agreement, "Cheers to that."

a.n. not to be that person that's pushing their other story constantly but i posted another chap of petrichor and i want y'all to check it out :) if u like, it'll make me happy xxxoxoxox

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

694K 16K 51
In which Bonnie's older cousin Natalie finds out she is soulmates with the Original hybrid. (Season 2 - 3) (Klaus Mikaelson x OC) I DO NOT own TVD n...
2M 58.2K 42
divine violence 𓍢ִ໋ the vampire diaries 𓍢ִ໋ klaus mikaelson x fem!oc 𓍢ִ໋ season two - four 𓍢ִ໋ april, 2021
50.3K 1.4K 37
𝙎𝙪𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙣𝙖𝙩𝙪𝙧𝙖𝙡 𝙥𝙝𝙚𝙣𝙤𝙢𝙚𝙣𝙖 𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙥𝙚𝙣𝙨 𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙙𝙖𝙮, 𝙈𝙮𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙘 𝙁𝙖𝙡𝙡𝙨 𝙗𝙚𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙣𝙤 𝙚𝙭𝙘𝙚𝙥𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣. 𝙈𝙖𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙡...
60.3K 1.2K 13
Isabella Salvatore has never been able to live a normal life. She HAS tried over thirty times. Isa has been able to be reborn when ever she wanted, t...