Taivon: Book Three of the Can...

By UniversalGroceries

To Alix Romaro, Taivon was the man who came in every night for a single, dark ale beer. To Taivon Cantrell... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four

Chapter Forty

23.7K 1K 93
By UniversalGroceries

Alix couldn't fall asleep that night.

After the litle ordeal yesterday, it hadn't felt right for her to leave him alone. It hadn't been a big deal, either. If she wasn't at his house, then he was at hers, and vice versa. He'd even gotten a toothbrush for her, right after they'd come back from Thanksgiving with his family.

It was weird how something that cost only two bucks made her heart warm.

Rolling onto her side for what felt like the millionth time, Alix looked at Taivon. She loved looking at him, loved knowing that he could be so gentle with a body that was not at all meant to be so.

His face was cast in shadows from the light, long eyelashes resting on his cheeks as he slept peacefully. She could remember a time when he hadn't slept so well, but that was long gone, replaced by the warm hold he always had on her.

The quilt was pushed down, revealing his chest and part of his stomach. Alix watched it move up and down with his even breaths, wanting to reach out but stopping herself. He needed the rest. She didn't want him to hurt anymore.

Just over his shoulder was that damned box that had whatever it was that made him cry inside of it. It was a small rectangle, the dark wood polished and glowing in the moonlight. There was something in there, though, despite how beautiful the box was. She wanted to just get rid of it. Seeing that look on his face – seeing him break down – was something she never wanted to see again.

“Alix?” he mumbled, one bleary eye opening before closing again.

“Yeah?” she whispered.

“Love you.”

She felt tears prick her eyes as she looked down at him. He curled up into a ball next to her, his legs pressed against hers and his arm slung around her waist. His head lay on her chest, the thick hair tickling her neck. She could see that both of his eyes were closed. A small smile was on his face.

Running her hand through his hair, she held him even closer to her. She didn't ever want to let go of this special man before her. She'd never loved anybody, and now that she did – now that she had him – the thought of losing it all made tears come into her eyes.

“Love you, too,” she said, a little breathlessly.

She didn't know if he heard it. Because if he did, Taivon gave no indication. His eyes stayed closed, but there was a little smile on that handsome face. She looked back at the box one last time before closing her own eyes.

She would fix it, because she loved him.

That same morning, Alix woke up to adventurous, warm hands caressing her sides. She moved into the grasp, keeping her eyes closed as a soft mouth kissed hers in a not too soft way. A minty tongue slipped between her lips, and then, fingers probed at her entrance.

She arched up into the touch, loving the way he touched her, taking his time as he got her ready. Then, he was inside her. With rays of sunlight streaming in, they made slow love in the morning. She opened her eyes just in time to see him climax, feeling liquid heat spurting inside her.

“I'll b-b-be right back.” He kissed her then got out of bed.

Feeling boneless, Alix nodded her head, not moving. She watched that tall, built body walk out of his bedroom. He was so much more confident now; once again, she absolutely loved that about him.

Almost as if having a will of their own, her eyes strayed to that box on his dresser. It was illuminated by the son, the lustrous, deep-colored surface reflecting the light. Or maybe whatever was inside just made her think it was shining.

She debated about going over and opening it now, but then she heard the bathroom door opening. Taivon walked through the door a few moments later, still as naked as the day he was born. He gave her a lazy smile and crawled back into bed, bringing her body to lie on top of him, right in between his long legs.

“I love m-m-mornings with yuh-you,” he murmured.

“Me, too. You're getting better at making breakfast.”

“If th-that's what'll k-k-keep you around...” He chuckled.

She kissed his neck beore snuggling her head back under his chin where it rested like they were always meant to find each other, because they fit together perfectly. So, they just lay there, neither moving or saying anything.

Weekends with him were the best. It was usually eat, make love, eat after going out to some place, make love some more, and then go to sleep. The weekdays were almost identical, except with work slotted in between.

“Know wuh-wuh-what my house is m-missing?”

“What?”

“Ch-Ch-Christmas lights. I haven't p-p-put 'em up in...fuh-forever.”

“Let's do it.”

She crawled off him and quickly got dressed. He did the same. In the car, he babbled on and on about how Titus was too lazy to put up Christmas lights and that he hadn't had them on his house since he'd moved.

“I'm th-th-thinking about guh-going down on Ch-Christmas. Wuh-Wuh-Wanna come with me?”

She grabbed his hand, kissing the back of his rough, hairy knuckles. “Of course. Wanna go to mine?”

He kissed her hand, smiling. “Of c-c-course.”

In the hardware store, they held hands as they scoured through the aisles. It was a little less than a month away from Christmas but already the store was decked out in holiday garb. Christmas trees were everywhere, lights were on the walls, probably to show off products, and shelves were stocked with ornaments and pine-scented candles.

“Ooh.” She brought up a box of blue lights. “I love blue lights.”

He gave her a funny look. “Just blue?”

“We can mix and match.” Alix picked up another box. “It'll look like blue candy canes. How cool is that?”

“Ya know, I th-think I also need a tr-tr-tree, which means ornaments, t-t-too.”

Alix rolled her eyes playfully before following him down to the decoration aisles where they picked cold spirals and red crystally things with silver tinsel.

“C-C-Can we get a real tr-tree?” he asked.

He was pouting, giving her puppy dog eyes with a bottom lip jutted out. She would have agreed with a real tree, anyway, but he looked too adorable. She let him pout a little longer, just to see that look on his face.

“Of course we can, but I get to buy it.” He opened his mouth, as if to protest, but she slapped her hand over it. “You get the other stuff, and I'll get the tree, okay? Trust me, I have enough. Think of it as an early Christmas present.”

She planned on getting him way, way more but he didn't have to know that yet. He already bought too much for her as it was. For the first time in her life, she actually belonged with someone, and she wanted to do nice stuff for him.

“I guh-guess, but-”

“No buts. Now, c'mon. Let's go pick one out.”

After buying all the ornaments and putting them in the car, they went to a small tree farm that only had a few to select from – probably because it was so early in December – and they got the biggest, fullest one they could find.

She easily had enough for the purchase. Her books were a success, after all.

When they got back to his house, he brought the tree inside, not even needing her help, which was pretty impressive, considering that it had taken two guys to lift it and put it on top of his vehicle.

“Here's the p-plan,” he said. “I do th-th-th-the lights, and you do th tr-tree. Sound good?”

“Don't you want me to hold the ladder?”

Taivon shook his head. “It should be fuh-fuh-fine. Snow wuh-will hold it.”

“Okay, but be careful. And make sure to dress warm.”

“Yes, Ma.” He laughed before heading to his bedroom.

A few minutes later, he came back, with his thick Carhartt jacket. He put on that knit cap that made him look absolutely adorable, with the soft fabric pulled over his forehead.

“Be safe.”

Taivon leaned down to give a quick peck on the lips and then went into the garage. She could see through the windows as he positioned the ladder, a study in stern concentration, and unstrung the lights. She waved. With lights in between his teeth, he waved back.

Looking down at the decorations all piled onto the couch, she began to open up the boxes, starting with the tree lights first. They had gold, white, red, green, and blue – a whole mishmash of color that would look beautiful in his living room.

It wasn't too difficult. She plugged them in, then wrapped the lights around, starting from the bottom and working upward. The hard part came when she was too short to reach any higher. She had half the mind to call Taivon to string them up for her, but after she got a chair and slid it in close enough, it got easier.

The ornaments came next. Her and her sister had always been in charge of decorating the tree at home, so she figured her spacial skills were up to par. Either way, she tried extra hard, wanting it to look perfect.

She didn't know how long she worked with the poking needles or the glossy ornaments, but her arms were getting store from reaching up so high and her toes felt numb from standing up on them too long.

Her phone started to vibrate in her pocket. She checked the number. “Taiv?”

“Hey,” he said, laughing a little. “I k-k-k-kinda need some help.”

“What's wrong?”

“Nothing wr-wrong.” He paused then said, “Th-The ladder just fuh-fuh-fell, and I'm st-stuck on th-the roof.”

She was out there within the minute, laughing as she put on her jacket, one of his hats, and an extra pair of boots that were much too big for her. Sure enough, as soon as she was in the backyard, she saw him casually sitting on the roof, hands under his butt.

“Hi.”

She smiled. “Hey. How's it going?”

“Wuh-Was good, but yuh-ya know.”

After picking up the ladder from the snow, she held it up. He came down easily, jumping off at the fourth rung with a heavy thud, right next to her. The next thing she knew he was holding her in his arms, swinging her around wildly.

“You saved me!” He laughed.

When he put her down, Alix grabbed him by that knit cap of his and pulled him down for a kiss. Their lips connected, and he just responded to her touch, like always. It was just too bad that their was snow on the ground, because she so would have done him right then and there.

She pulled away, licking his jaw before looking up at the lights. It looked really good so far, and it was only day time. She couldn't wait to see what they would look like tonight, all bright and shining during a calm winter night.

“It looks good, Taiv.” Alix spared a glance at the ladder. “Are ya sure you don't want me to stay out here, just to hold the ladder or something?”

He shook his head. “Tr-Trust me, Alix. I guh-guh-got it. Besides, I wuh-wanna see th-th-that tree.”

“Okay.” With one last kiss to his cheek, she went inside and got back to work on the tree. A few times, she pricked herself with the needles, but other than that, the ornaments went on smoothly. She re-arranged everything until it looked perfect. She was just about finished when the back patio door opened, and Taivon walked in.

His cheeks were red, probably wind-burned from the cold outside. His breaths were visible for a second before disappearing in the warmth of the house. Just like this morning, she couldn't take her eyes off him. He took off his hat and gloves and hung up his jacket.

His eyes widened when he saw her, first looking at the tree then back down at her. “Perfect.”

Alix could feel her own cheeks turning red. He walked towards her and once again, picked her up. His hands felt so, so cold; she couldn't help but gasp as he cupped her face in those icicles and looked down at her, right into her eyes with his beautiful hazels. He had one of those small smiles on his face.

“Th-Thank you, Alix.”

She didn't think this was at all about her kick ass tree decorating skills but rather had to do with the piece of paper in that box. He was too happy, though. Bringing it up now would ruin his good mood, and she hated to see him down.

“Hey, you're the one who braved the cold and hung up the lights.”

He kissed her, lightly on the lips. “Th-The tree looks guh-good. You look guh-good. I'm hungry.”

“Then let's make something.”

“Ya know wuh-wuh-what I haven't had in a long t-t-t-time?” he asked. After she shook her head, Taivon answered, “Lasagna.”

Probably because it had too much cheese – she'd seen him eat cheese like once – and because lasagna was usually made with white noodles. Lately, he'd been less strict with his whole dieting thing. Yeah, he still worked out shit tons, but he wasn't up at five in the morning anymore. Instead, he slept in with her and worked out later in the day, usually right after he finished up in Yellowstone. He was still in tip-top shape, just more chill about it.

“Then let's make some lasagna.”

They went into the kitchen where she checked his cabinets for some noodles. Whole grain pasta twisty ones were all she found. Bags and bags of those. The next cabinet only yielded more disappointment. Protein powder. Natural oats. Some type of green tea. He was such a weirdo. But he was her weirdo.

“Looks like wuh-we'll have t-t-to guh-go shopping again,” he said, his head poked inside the refrigerator.

Just like this morning, they got their jackets on, hopped into his car, and drove to a store. It was just like a regular store, nothing fancy, and it smelt like baked stuff. She looked on her phone at the list of ingredients. Within fifteen minutes, they had all the necessary items.

As they passed the baked goods aisle, he literally gasped, “Ooh, brownies. C-C-Can we m-make brownies?”

She put two brownie boxes, a container of confetti frosting into the cart, and quickly went over to the dairy section. Knowing him, he probably didn't have any butter at his house, either. Her lovable weirdo.

“I c-c-can't even remember th-the last t-time I made br-brownies,” he told her, on the way back.

“Well, prepare your tastebuds, Taiv. 'Cause I make a mean batch of brownies.”

About an hour and a half later, they were eating piping hot lasagna and munching on frosting-covered brownies, sitting outside on about four layers of blankets, looking at the Christmas lights.

Seeing him so happy like this almost made her forget all about that piece of paper.

Almost.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

234 2 11
Alona works at a bar in downtown LA. She just had a normal day when a 23-year-old young man decided that he and his best friend get a drink, and that...
140 36 36
When Julianna was four, she witnessed her mother murdered in a mugging gone wrong, a murder that her guardian angel wasn't able to stop. However, du...
A Stranger In My Home By AJ

Mystery / Thriller

359K 10.8K 23
After years of spousal abuse, Julie Gibbons had given up hoping her husband would change his ways and resigned herself to her fate. Could the appeara...