Whisper of Blade | āœ“ (Crimson...

By MiyaHikari

| š–ššš­š­š²š¬ šŸšŸŽšŸšŸ š’š”šØš«š­š„š¢š¬š­ | What do you do when everyone seems to want you dead? Kill them... More

š‘°š’š’•š’“š’
š‘Øš’„š’„š’š’š’‚š’…š’†š’”
Chapter 1: The Pale Viper
Chapter 2: Hunter or Hunted
Chapter 3: Of Kats and Kings
Chapter 4: Tempered Blade
Chapter 5: The Enemy of My Enemy
Chapter 6: Reality Has Rules
Chapter 7: Crafting Kirukkan
Chapter 8: Tears of Blood
Chapter 9: One Woman Army
Chapter 10: Glass Cannon
Chapter 11: Together
Chapter 12: Fake Enemies
Chapter 13: Assassin's Vengeance
Chapter 14: Funeral Pyre
Chapter 15: Seeing the Dawn
Chapter 16: Eye of the Snake
Chapter 17: Move in Silence
Chapter 18: Sun and Snow
Chapter 19: Pain of Death
Chapter 20: Bloody Knuckles
Chapter 21: Break Our Bones
Chapter 22: Kill or Be Killed
Chapter 23: Mamoritai
Chapter 24: Shoot the Messenger
Chapter 25: Repeating History
Chapter 26: Company
Chapter 27: First Strike
Chapter 28: Water Lily
Chapter 29: A Boy and His Kat
Chapter 30: Fishy Executions
Chapter 31: Death of a Dream
Chapter 32: Silken Smoke
Chapter 33: Lullaby and Goodnight
Chapter 34: Even if I Burned
Chapter 35: Unraveling
Chapter 36: Not Going Under
Chapter 37: The Firebird
Chapter 38: Checkmate
Chapter 39: Couldn't Be Love
Chapter 40: Bittersweet
Chapter 41: Letting Go
Chapter 42: Duality
Chapter 43: Flawed Armor
Chapter 44: Champion of the Arena
Chapter 45: Remember Me
Chapter 46: Sunset
Chapter 47: Crossing
Epilogue: The Price of Poison
Sequel Excerpt: Blood Shadows
š‘¶š’–š’•š’“š’
š‘®š’š’š’”š’”š’‚š’“š’š
š‘·š’š’‚š’šš’š’Šš’”š’•
š‘Øš’“š’•
š‘Øš’†š’”š’•š’‰š’†š’•š’Šš’„š’”
š‘Ŗš’‰š’‚š’“š’‚š’„š’•š’†š’“ š‘ø&š‘Ø
šŸ”„ šŸšŸ“š¤ š’š©šžšœš¢ššš„ šŸ”„

Prologue: Bridge

4.2K 400 7.2K
By MiyaHikari

✧ First Time Reader Check-in (FTR)

✧ Re-reader Check-in (RR)

847 A.G.M.

Dying would be easy, if not for the loved ones left behind.

Such was Edina Pyroline's first conscious thought as she returned from the brink of death. She drew a ragged breath, droplets of sweat clinging to her forehead and matted black hair.

The bridge. She'd seen the bridge again, with the endless sea of stars beneath it. The strands of light clutched in her hand.

Nola appeared in Edina's field of vision. Her rocking chair creaked in protest as she leaned forward. "You're awake," she said. Then, mumbling, "I hope you're lucid this time."

Edina pressed her hand against the stone wall of the chamber, its surface cold and calming to the touch of her burning fingertips. She opened her mouth and croaked, "Water." The weak, cracking voice sounded unfamiliar to her ears.

As if anticipating the request, Nola lifted Edina's head off the pillow and brought the glass to her mouth. Edina slurped greedily at the liquid, some of it spilling over the sides of her lips to dribble down her neck. The water disappeared but her thirst remained unquenched.

Nola put a hand to her forehead and Edina closed her eyes at the cool it brought to the fire of her skin. When Nola drew her hand away, her mouth had tightened into a grim line.

"I'm dying, aren't I?" Edina stated.

"Nonsense," Nola answered. "Just fever dreams getting to you." She dipped a cloth in a bowl of water and wrung it out before placing it on Edina's forehead.

"About the dreams," Edina whispered. "I think I saw ..."

What had she seen?

Nola shook her head, white hair coming loose to frame her face. "Don't bother, dear. No one remembers the delusions Fire Fever brings." She leaned back in her rocking chair. Dark circles under Nola's eyes told Edina just how many sleepless nights her old nurse had suffered to keep her sickbed vigil.

Edina groaned, head throbbing as she tried to move. Her limbs failed to comply, weakened from days and nights of restless sleep. Any food she'd managed to swallow past the wooden block of her tongue had resurfaced during coughing fits.

She burned.

"It's so hot," she muttered. Then, struck by a sudden idea, she released a blaze of flames through her hand on the wall. White fire exploded, heat flashing against her face. Edina yelped, cutting off the flow. New scorches marked the walls, bits of smoke curling upwards.

Nola cursed and grabbed her hands to thrust them into the pitcher of water. "No wielding, Dina!" she growled. "You'll make the Fever worse!"

"I thought it'd help me cool down," Edina responded, cheeks flushing. Oh, but the water felt so good sloshing against her hands.

"That's what you said the other five times!" Nola sighed in exasperation. "What in blazes am I supposed to do ... like a child again," she continued under her breath.

A knock at the door caused them both to start.

"That's Minerva," Edina told Nola.

Nola glanced at her, doubt clear on her face. "If it is, I'm not sure you're in a state for company."

Edina bit her lip, a flake of dead skin coming off. Here goes nothing. "Yes, but this could well be my last opportunity to see her. I'm sure I look like death warmed over, but an exception could be made."

"I'm not worried about how you look. With the state you're in, you might char her," Nola scolded, taking Edina's hands out of the pitcher.

"I'm perfectly sane," Edina chirped, smiling as sweetly as she could.

Nola snorted.

The door creaked open and Minerva stepped in. Edina beckoned to her niece, smiling when she caught a whiff of sweet-smelling cherry blossoms as Minerva drew closer and knelt by the bedside.

"Did you finish your studies?" Nola demanded of the young girl.

"Yes," Minerva answered quietly.

"What did you learn?

Minerva didn't answer and Nola muttered something about a "half-wit" before taking the pitcher and leaving the room. Edina watched her go, inwardly cheering that Nola hadn't argued further.

Squeezing Minerva's small, cold hand in her own, Edina said, "You know you could answer her, Minerva."

The girl shook her head, black hair falling messily around her pale face. "No."

"Min," Edina said.

She watched as Minerva focused on her, heart wrenching. It was a familiar pain, from knowing what her niece put herself through just to stay alive. Minerva's brown eyes were dull and lifeless, void of emotion. If eyes were "windows to the soul", Edina could have said she did not own one.

She had to take a deep breath before she spoke. "It's safe."

Like a delicate flower unfurling its petals, light filled the previously hollow openings and Edina found herself staring into Min's intelligent, piercing eyes.

"Like I was saying," Edina continued, voice rasping. "Nola might be a crotchety old woman, but she'll keep your secret safe."

"I don't have enough trust in me for that," Minerva answered, sounding like a middle-aged spinster who's had her heart trampled on several times, rather than the eight-year-old she was.

"Nonsense," Edina said in echo of Nola. Laughter would have followed, but it turned into coughing that left her gasping, the metallic taste of blood on her tongue. "Min," she said when she'd regained her breath, "you know I might be dying ... right?"

Minerva glared at her. "Don't you dare, Auntie Dina. You're strong. You'll beat the Fever."

Edina sighed. Right now, 'strong' would be the last word she'd use to describe herself.

"Promise me you'll try," Minerva whispered. Then, even softer, "Don't leave me, Auntie Dina."

Edina mustered up a smile she hoped reached her eyes and squeezed Minerva's hand again. "I'm not going anywhere, little blossom." Burn it, I'll make it. For her if no one else. Edina pulled Minerva closer and cupped her face in her hands. "Do something for me too?" She waited for Minerva's nod before making her request. "I want you to forgive your mother and brother."

A volcano of emotion erupted from the young girl. Sparks caught at her fingertips before her hand curled into a fist and snuffed them out. She jerked away from Edina, trembling. Through clenched teeth, she snarled, "Why should I?"

"Because everyone deserves a second chance," Edina answered.

"Not them," Minerva growled. "Maybe Vren, but definitely not her." A cloud of hatred flashed across her face and Edina recognized the expression that meant she was reliving all the moments of torment and suffering elicited by Kovine.

She grabbed Minerva's hand back, pulling her from the brink of the endless spiral that hatred would throw her into: the futile quest for vengeance.

"Min, your mother became what she is now through a series of painful circumstances. If she—" Edina exhaled as black spots danced across her vision, blood slowly oozing into her mouth. Forcing her eyes to focus, she noticed a shadow that had risen up out of the corner of the room. Silent as a snake, it slid along the floor, coming to loom behind Minerva. How long had it been since she'd last seen that evil thing?

She barely heard Minerva whisper, "I'm sorry, Auntie Dina. I can't."

Edina tried to answer, but when she opened her mouth, only sticky, bright red flecks spewed forth. Time slowed. Minerva stared in shock before racing to the door, screaming for Nola. She ran straight through the shadow; apparently she couldn't see it this time. It neared the bedside. Fear crawled into Edina's chest. Heart pounding in her ears, she watched helplessly as white tendrils of flame flickered into existence and began eating holes in her bed sheets and clothing. The fire didn't touch her—yet. The burning stench permeated the air, stinging her nostrils and bringing the water to her eyes.

An eternity passed before Nola barged in, Minerva close behind. Edina glimpsed weary resignation on the woman's face, before she grabbed her rocking chair and the girl, pulling them back out of the room. Coming alive with surprising force, Minerva fought off Nola's grasp and tried to rush to the bedside.

"No!" yelled Nola. "You'll be burned!" She snatched Minerva up and bore her away under one arm struggling and shrieking, the rocking chair dragged behind her with the other. The door slammed and Minerva's howls faded, leaving Edina in silence.

She hissed as the fire scorched her skin. Screaming was beyond her power now, her energy drained by the white flames that enveloped her. Edina shut her eyes against the sight of her seared flesh, the shadow coming to swallow her up, and fought off the panic and doubt rising within her.

She opened her eyes.

The bridge spanned before her, a crystal white set against the pitch blackness above. It wasn't the sky—no stars shone above Edina's head. Instead, the stars were below, milky swirls of light. Edina shuddered, cold from the sudden absence of heat. She held her hand out and tried to summon up a flame.

Nothing. She couldn't wield here.

At the back of her mind, she was aware that she lay dying in an empty room, burning to death. Here though, this place ... she knew it to be just as real. The blasted weakness still plagued her limbs and she grabbed the bridge's railing to support herself. How do I get out of here?

In the way she could sense the lingering gaze of a stranger, Edina became aware of a presence standing across the bridge from her. She raised her eyes, blood leaving her face.

The wide brim of a bamboo hat obscured the upper portion of the figure's features. Beneath, their lower face and neck gleamed porcelain in the moonlight. Shadowy veils flowed down to mingle with black robes. The figure carried a silver whip. Though its form was that of a woman, Edina knew better. That thing wasn't mortal.

The shadow ... She should have realized.

"Nemesis," she breathed, shining particles escaping her mouth like stardust. She clutched the rail, knees threatening to buckle. No wielding. No swords. She faced a goddess of myth and legend, weak and utterly defenseless.

The figure advanced, hand appearing from beneath the folds of clothing to crack the whip, silver braid hissing as it uncoiled. "Edina Pyroline." Nemesis' soft voice sliced the air. "I've been waiting for you."

Memories crashed back into Edina like a flood. She'd run from Nemesis several times already throughout the course of the Fire Fever. But this time Nemesis blocked the path back to the waking world.

I can make it, there's only the goddess of retribution standing in my way. "I'm honored, She Who Brings the Night," Edina answered.

A smile flashed across Nemesis' face. "You're dead, child. And the life that is left in you will be mine."

What was she talking about? Edina racked her brain for every story about the goddess who belonged to the triumvirate of the Pyro pantheon. Suddenly, the realization struck. Edina's eyes widened. "You're trying to regain physical form," she whispered.

It appeared whispers carried in this place. A grimace replaced the smile. Nemesis shrugged. "It's nothing personal. Just a debt to settle with a dragon. A child of prophecy to slaughter. The usual."

Edina shivered in her white nightgown, trying to gather up the courage and energy to make a run for the other side.

You're strong, Auntie Dina. You'll beat the Fever. Upon remembering Min's words, a thick strand of light appeared in Edina's hand. The other end trailed past Nemesis, glow pushing back the dusk. The faintest sensation brushed at Edina's spirit. Life. Connection. "Let's hope I'm strong enough to defeat more than a fever," Edina whispered.

Images flashed through her mind, all the people she loved and who had loved her in return. More light appeared in her hand, until she held a cord thicker than the whip Nemesis carried.

Eyes narrowing, Nemesis threw off her cloak of night, exposing jagged, black armor beneath. "I'd almost thought you wouldn't fight, Edina. But I should have known better." She stroked the handle of the whip and it came to life, returning to hover at her side. The very end of it transformed into the head of a white snake with a single fang, tongue flicking at the air. Nemesis smiled again. Her chin tilted upward, revealing golden eyes that burned like twin embers beneath the veils. "I'm glad. The blood of battle runs in your veins as well as mine."

As Edina held the light strands, her limbs stopped shaking, no longer weak. She only worried what she would use as a weapon. "I challenge you."

The snake head shot through the space between them. Edina prepared to dodge, but the light intervened. Two strands parted from the rest to choke the serpent whip. The other threads sped toward her opponent. Regaining her presence of mind, Edina sprinted after them.

Nemesis screamed in anger. Black fire burst from her hands to swallow up the light.

Edina passed her, not looking back. The end was in sight ... just a few more steps.

Something tripped her and she fell sprawling on the smooth surface of the bridge. Before she could regain her feet, the whip curled around her and lifted her up. It carried her to Nemesis, bringing her close so that their faces were only inches apart.

"You look young," Edina said. "Never would have thought you have centuries on you."

Nemesis laughed. "Oh, I will miss you. You've been my favorite for years. Too bad only one of us remembers our conversations." She clicked her tongue and the snake bit.

Edina whimpered as the fang sunk into her neck. The whip wrapped around her tighter, pinning her arms to her sides. By the flame, it hurt. Tears sprung to her eyes even while she spat into the goddess' face.

If anything, Nemesis' grin widened. "Don't worry. I'll make this slow."

"Your death." Edina gasped for breath. "Is coming soon."

Nemesis cocked her head. "Oh? Do tell."

"The dragon you mentioned—" The world tilted out of balance. Edina's vision blurred. "I know her."

A hard look replaced the mocking one.

"A Fever Ghost will kill you," Edina said.

"That's enough," Nemesis hissed. The whip closed over Edina's mouth. "I'm an Immortal—we can't be killed." Her eyelids lowered. "Foolish child. You've shortened my patience."

Edina could do nothing as the snake moved to bite her on the other side. Hot blood trickled down her neck from the first opening. The drain on her life became apparent now. She fought closing her eyes and clenched her fists instead.

Her hand closed on something warm.

A streak of light pierced Nemesis' neck. Falling to the ground as the whip released her, Edina watched the goddess scream. Nemesis clawed at her neck, eyes wild with pain and rage.

Edina couldn't stand, not enough life left in her. The way back was too far, but the other end—

She could make it.

Blood pouring from the serpent wounds, she dragged herself to the edge. Nemesis had ripped the string out of her neck. Now or never.

Edina threw herself off the end of the bridge, falling to the stars. Her arm jerked and she cried out. When she looked up, she found the strand wrapped around her wrist. She knew which one it was.

Min's.

I'm not going anywhere, little blossom, Edina's voice echoed in memory.

"I'm sorry." Edina choked on her tears. Her vision misted, but the strand—the tie which bound her to Min—burned even brighter against the approaching night.

Nemesis appeared at the bridge's edge and looked down, whip lowering to pull Edina back up.

"Let me go, please," Edina said to the strand. The snake shot toward her, ruby blood staining its ivory fang. With the last bit of strength in her, she reached up and pulled the thread off her arm.

Emptiness rushed around her as she hurled towards the sparkling lake of stars.

"We are the called ... according to His purpose," she gasped. A peace embraced her and suddenly she felt as if she were floating.

Through her closed eyelids, light blazed, the world awash in white.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

66.5K 4.2K 70
(Completed) Two assassins were set to kill a girl. No questions asked. Just kill her and claim their prize. That was their mission. Except one of the...
1.4M 61.1K 45
[THIS STORY WILL BECOME FREE ON THE 5th OCTOBER 2023] Fara's husband, the Prince of Azura, is murdered and she's enslaved by his killer, Theodan, a w...
44.1K 1.5K 38
You've been having weird dreams of him. He's always been on your mind, even though you've never seen him before. But who was he? And why did he look...
34.7K 3.1K 28
Unjustly accused of murder, the Demon of Wrath joins forces with the Archangel of Justice to find the true culprit. ____ Sannarah lives from one dead...