SOL (ON HOLD)

By teniyakisauce

"Queens and commoners, princes and peasants, welcome to the party of the quincentury!" For most people, recei... More

MAP
PROLOGUE
PART 1
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHARACTER CARD 1
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHARACTER CARD 2
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 27
Part 2
PROLOGUE II
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
Nero's Art Gallery
Adrei's Hall of Victory

CHAPTER 26

27 6 42
By teniyakisauce

"Yeah, what's up?" I asked, concerned, as Ele wrung his hands out.

"Eleusis of Alcane," River shouted, bursting into the room, "I know you did not leave me alone with Asriel."

I laughed. No wonder Ele looked so disturbed. I'm sure Asriel had put him and River through their paces more than once.

"He's evil," River groaned, dragging a reluctant Ele out of the room.

"Later, okay?" I smiled, heading into my own room.

I grabbed the sword, flicking it like Ceres had when she'd given it to me and smiling to myself.

A smile that Aella quickly wiped off my face with another sparring session. This time, however, when we were done I was... buzzing.

Aella smiled at me, and said "Well it looks like someone still has some energy. Once more?"

And I said yes. So we went again. I answered her questions about Fyn and her betrothal, about Pelias and his illegitimacy.

"And Syrion?"

I faltered. What about Syrion?

"His father hates Stars," I said, as I just managed to avoid a blast.

"What else?"

I didn't have much to say, I didn't have anything to say, actually.

"I think we're done here," Aella said, her hazel eyes crinkled in a smile.

She did not bother to wait for a response, instead sweeping into the now dim corridor.

As I followed I saw Asteria making her way towards us after exiting another room down the hall, Prince Syrion following behind her.

We were about to walk past each other when I spoke.

"Hello, Impavid."

He turned, eyebrow quirked. "Fancy seeing you here, sun-not-star."

I smiled and we fell into step with each other. But then I fell silent. What exactly was I trying to do?

He broke the silence. "Come on, I want to show you something."

My mind flicked back to Ele and I frowned, worried. But Prince Syrion didn't look afraid or anxious like Ele had, if anything he looked slightly impatient.

We walked through the glass glass corridors, and ascended the imperial staircase, into the foyer.

It was getting late, I noted, as the sky began to fade to a navy blue.

"Don't worry, we won't be long," he said, gazing briefly at the darkening sky.

Rather than passing through the double doors at the end of the room, he stopped by a small wooden door. It was carved into one of the beams that crossed over the room such that if you weren't looking for it you wouldn't find it.

It led to a narrow wooden staircase, with a trapdoor at the top. The prince went first, unlatching the trap door and hoisting himself up. I followed, pulling myself up and sucking in a deep breath.

Everywhere I looked there were stars, glowing brightly like jewels sewn onto the velvet of the night sky.

I spun around, mouth still open as the stars twinkled down at us, charting the constellations in my mind.

We were in the glass orb at the centre of the castle. I stood on the hardwood floor, pulling myself away from the celestial light show and running my hand along the constellations etched into the glass. One section of the orb was completely covered with various star maps, posters of the moon's phases, a large sky chart and a plethora of sketches. Some were of the night sky, others of a young man by a telescope.

I stopped by one, peering closer at the charcoal lines and shading.

"Wait, isn't this Asriel?" I asked, pointing at the drawing.

"I'd assume so," Prince Syrion said, not moving from his place at the center, "it is his observatory."

I sucked in another breath, imagining just how many nights Asriel had spent here, under the stars.

My eyes landed on a large silver telescope and I moved towards it, running my hands over it's smooth surface. Closing my left eye I peered through the eyepeice and was met only with fuzzy dots of light.

I fiddled with a few knobs and adjustment pieces to no avail, before Prince Syrion swooped in.

"We have a pretty serious observatory in High Valeria," he explained, twisting the knobs carefully as he peered into the eyepeice.

"Have at it." He stepped back and I looked through the telescope, skeptical.

But the view did not disappoint. A nebula of vibrant pinks and blues swirled in the sky before me, white hot stars glowing against the celestial matter. It was one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen and I drew back from the telescope, slightly dazed.

Prince Syrion took my place as I sat down by a small table near the trap door. On it was a neat stack of paper and a box of charcoal pencils.

Without thinking, I picked them up and began to draw, tracing out the curve of the telescope, the dark of the night sky, the slant of the prince's body as he bent to look into it.

I frowned, because his legs were uneven, but after searching for an eraser and coming up empty handed I decided it would have to do.

I glanced up as I shaded his face, only to realize with a start that he was walking over to me.

"If you wanted a picture you could have just asked," he smiled, trying to see it.

"Yes, I want to hang it over my bed and swoon at it every night before I fall asleep," I replied, suddenly embarrassed of the drawing.

"Wouldn't be the first time," he murmered, with a seriousness I didnt like, as he gracefully snatched the picture from my hands.

He was silent for a moment as I cringed inwardly.

"Sol," he began, eyes dark and voice sombre, "this is amazing."

I made a face as I tried to get it back.

"No, in all seriousness, this is brilliant," he said, stretching his hand up, and looking up at the picture.

I folded my hands and glared at him, as he looked back at me with mock surprise.

"Oh, you can take the picture back if you want," he said, hand still in the air.

"You're not funny," I replied crossing my arms over my chest.

"No really, you just have to stretch a little," he laughed.

"Bug off," I said, pushing past him. But I stumbled, my foot tripping over one of the floor planks, sending me sprawling straight into him.

We hit the floor with a dull thud. His eyes widened as I quickly pushed myself onto my palms, now only a breath away from him.

We stayed there, frozen, his dark eyes on mine, as I felt my cheeks flush. His face shone in the starlight, his dark hair obstructing one eye, as he lay on the wooden floor.

I remained, poised on top of him, my hands throbbing from their impact with the floor. I couldn't move, or perhaps I didn't want to.

Then he laughed. He closed his eyes and turned his head as he chuckled.

I pushed away, now sitting on the backs of my legs.

"I didn't know you wanted the picture that badly," he said, as my eyes widened. I'd forgotten about the picture.

I lunged for it but he raised his hand away, pushing himself up and walking over to the poster wall. As I scrambled to my feet, he reached a hand into a small bowl on the floor and promptly pinned it onto the wall.

He smiled at me triumphantly as I stared horrified. I mean, yes, I thought the drawing was good but Asriel's-observatory-good?

I was about to protest, when he spoke first.

"We should go," he said abruptly, heading towards the trap door.

I glanced at the picture one more time as he said, "That belongs to the observatory now. You cannot legally take it."

Rolling my eyes, I slid down the trapdoor and descended the staircase. The castle was empty but the courtyard outside was a hub of activity.

Adrei led three mares by the reins as Vega and Carya doddled after Haven, holding armfuls of armour.

I took a deep breath as servants and seers scurried about. It was time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

275K 13.1K 64
'"I cannot feel this way. You clearly don't feel-" "I do though." He interrupts me. I finally look up to meet his eyes. It holds so much sadness. "Be...
15K 590 27
TEASER: "No fiancΓ©e of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...
1.4K 550 46
Mystery? In a Royal Court? What price do you pay to protect someone? What cost to yourself do you pay to make sure tender dreams are not crushed...
819K 24.2K 33
*COMPLETED* Annalise(Ann) had a simple life. A loving family, and a roof over her head. But when that is taken away, when the king and his men destro...