kindred

By MadiLee0123

All Adeline Kingston has known is pain. Years of agony, anguish and anger. Brothers. Addie has 7, not that sh... More

Introduction
Prologue
Chapter 1 : The drenched figure
Chapter 3 : Revelations
Chapter 4 : Fit for a princess
Chapter 5 : Missing presumed dead
Update
Chapter 6 : Little dove
Chapter 7 - Girl or boy
Chapter 8 - Family Crest
Chapter 9 - New starts
Chapter 10 - What the fuck is that?
Chapter 11 - Etched
Chapter 12 - Sleepovers and Revelations
Chapter 13 - Trigger
Chapter 14 - Monsters in the dark
Chapter 15 : Pecans, pies and paths
Chapter 16 : Sleeping angels
Chapter 17 : Crashing realities
Chapter 18 : Curiosity leads to consequences
Chapter 19 : Internal wars are raging
Chapter 20 : Protective nest
Chapter 21 : Memories
Chapter 22 : Little boy
Book Suggestions
Chapter 23 : Family
Chapter 24 : Fireworks
Not an Update, sorry :(
Chapter 25 : Home
Chapter 26 : Fists and knuckles
Chapter 27 : Panic
Chapter 28 : Flatline
Chapter 29 : Crazy
Chapter 30 : Runaway
Chapter 31 : Ring of fire
Chapter 32 : Blanket of death
Chapter 33 : I'm going home
Chapter 34 : Finding hope
Chapter 35 : Goodbye
Chapter 36 : Despair
Prologue
Chapter 37 : Final Farewell
Chapter 38 : Littering of Stars
Epilogue
Sequel.
Sequel

Chapter 2 : Godfather

43K 714 226
By MadiLee0123

Maddie jumped as the door slammed shut behind her. 

The cold women turned on her heel and opened another door, this one leading into a bathroom. Maddie followed the women as she becomed for her, she reached under the sink and pulled out a white washcloth. 

Maddie began to struggle slightly as the women pulled her jumper off of her followed by her top, shorts and socks, leaving her in just a vest and underwear. Her skin was rubbed raw as the women furiously scrubbed at the wet muddy flesh, desperate to get it pink. 

"Stop squirming child" 

"I can do it myself" Her protests were ignored as she continued to scrub her arms. 

"Besides I need to make sure you have no weapons on you"

"I don't" Again she was ignored, once the women was satisfied with how coarse Maddie's skin had become she dragged her back into the bedroom and pushed her towards the bed. 

"Go to sleep, I will collect you in the morning. Do not leave this room under any circumstances." Before Maddie could even respond she had left the room, a distinct sound of a key turning in a lock was heard and Maddie sunk down onto the mattress. 

Maddie curled into the corner of the bed, it was so quiet. All she could hear was the pattering of the rain on the pained window, it had been years since she had slept in her own room and the absence of childish snores and whimpers was very discomforting to Maddie. 

She eventually drifted off to sleep, not before she allowed a few solitary tears to slide down her face. She knew she should be happy, she finally had a bed to sleep in after sleeping on the streets for over a week, but her uncle wasn't here. 

She had been hoping with all her might that he would be here, to give her a hug and say he missed her. 

But he wasn't. 

*****

Maddie was awake rather suddenly, the women had returned, shaking her sharply awake by her shoulders. The morning sun had risen allowing a honey coloured glow to enter the room, basking Maddie in sunlight through the opened curtains. 

"Up" All Maddie could think about was how rude this woman was, could she not be even the slightest bit friendlier. She passed back Maddie's clothes which had seemingly been washed, a sweet smell of washing liquid and a soft clean feel confirmed it. 

Maddie had never used the expensive liquids, the one that make clothes feel soft, she was used to the cheap stuff that made clothes itch. She rather rapidly pulled her shorts and t-shirt on, aware that she was standing half-naked in front of the stranger. 

The second Maddie was downstairs she noticed the new face, a greying doctor sat perched at the kitchen table, with a large leather bag beside him. Maddie was propelled into the seat, confused at his presence. 

Immediately the man began to rummage in his bag, pulling out a few vials and swabs. Maddie stifled a yawn, it was after all only eight in the morning and she only fell asleep at half past three. 

"Open up" The doctor had a swab ready to test the inside of Maddie's mouth and was holding it towards her. 

"Why?" 

"I just need to take some of your cheek lining" He answered evasively.

"For DNA?" The doctor shot her a look, not fully agreeing or disagreeing. 

"No way" Immediately she clamped her mouth shut, not allowing the man to put his swab inside her mouth. Instead he reached out and plucked a few strands of hair from her head, putting those in separate vials. 

"Hey" Maddie attempted to reach for the vial before he placed it in his bag out of view. He quickly stuffed the swab in her mouth when she opened it to protest again. 

As soon as he had got what he wanted he immediately went to the door to leave the house and Maddie was still in the dark. 

"What do you need it for?" Hoping that he could reveal any part of his secret to her.

"That doesn't matter now" A clipped voice sounded from behind her. She immediately recognised the voice as the cold woman. 

"Who are you?" 

"Nothing that concerns you."

"Where's my uncle?" Maddie pestered, not liking the oblivion she faced. 

"Stop asking questions child" She tried to bristle Maddie's concerns under the carpet, instead of answering she turned to the kitchen intent on busying herself. 

"Where is he?" Maddie moved to the kitchen and stood on the other side of the kitchen with the best glare she could muster on her face. She had to admit, though, that she didn't look very intimidating. Stood in shorts and a striped t-shirt, standing at a slight 4"6 and with an innocent baby face it would be hard to find anyone over the age of seven that would be intimidated. 

The woman still remained quiet, she ladled some porridge out of a pot before putting it in a bowl with a spoon. She put the bowl down hard in-front of Maddie, the sides sloshing almost over the edge. 

"Eat" 

Immediately Maddie began to eat, she was ravenous. She hadn't eaten properly in days and a constant pit of hunger had become a constant feeling in her abdomen. She ate so fast that any faster would have been a blur. 

The second she finished the bowl the women refilled it, Maddie thankful no words were exchanged. Once again she devoured the second bowl, the bland taste didn't register with her as food was food at this point. 

The stairs creaked as Maddie continued eating and the boy from early that morning re-appeared. This time with more clothes on; scuffed jeans and a t-shirt. 

"Hello people" He was rather cheerful for it being early in the morning and the disgruntled sleep but he settled beside Maddie at kitchen island. He didn't opt for the bowl of porridge instead slathering some toast thick with raspberry jam. 

"Adam, what have I told you about those clothes" the women admonished. Adam, that was his name. 

Adam looked back at the women and shrugged, seemingly not at all bothered by her complaint. "I like them"

The women looked entirely unpleased with the boy, instead of picking a fight she stalked up the stairs to a different part of the house. 

"Don't mind her. She won't be here long. How old are you?" Maddie realised he was talking to her and decided to try and pry information from him instead. 

"12" he shot her a disbelieving look which she was used to.

"Who is she?" 

"My godfather employed her as a housekeeper. Mr. Tom was the old one, he was much nicer but his arthritis got too bad and he had to quit." he finished, still munching on his stack of toast. 

"Do you know where my uncle is?"

"Who is he?"

"I don't know" That certainly raised his eyebrows. 

"You came here all distressed looking for your uncle, but you don't even know who he is?" Adam questioned, confused at this strange child. 

"I know him, just not his name. He said it was too dangerous to tell me until he was able to take me home."

"Why didn't he take you home?"

"I dunno. He disappeared a few moths ago, he said if anything bad happened to come here." Maddie explained. "Do you know him?"

"What's he look like?"

"He's tall, and he had blue eyes and dark brown hair. And he has this ring, its the same as this" Maddie pulled out her necklace to show him. She flinched when he reached for it, scared he would take it. 

"I'm just looking, don't panic" he teased. He frowned slightly when he looked closely, almost as if he recognised it which didn't go unnoticed by Maddie. 

"Do you know it?" He squirmed slightly before grunting and turning back to his toast again. 

Not giving up, Maddie pestered him with more questions. "What's that women's name?"

"Eva Rice. I hate her, she's cold. I used to have a nanny, Lynn, she was the closest I had to a mother. But then my godfather decided I was too old for a nanny when she complained about her." Maddie watched as he aggressively bit into his piece of toast, wondering why he was telling her this. 

"Where are your..." said Maddie, trailing off as she realised she didn't want to upset him. 

"My parents? Never met my dad, my mum died of cancer when I was nine. My godfather lives in America, I didn't want to leave England, it's my home. Besides he's rich, he can afford all these people and houses." He was very nonchalant, almost as if he was indifferent to what had happened. 

"Is he nice?"

"Who?"

"Your godfather?"

"He's alright. Bit boring, I like his brother's more. My mum and his were best friends, they met at school, she also died - 12 years ago. She alway's used to laugh, she was this common kid who got a scholarship at this rich boarding school, yo- his mum" he corrected "pitied her and befriended her when they were eleven and were best friends since then." Maddie wondered what he was about to say before he stopped himself, she could hear a hint of remembrance in his voice as he let out a nervous chuckle. 

He instantly stopped when Eva walked back into the room, they both heard her coming from the clicking of her heels across the flagstone floor. 

"Eva, me and Maddie are going to the river" A look of horror flashed across her stiff face as though he said they were going skydiving. Maddie had no desire to go outside in the rain but the look she gave made her very willing.

"I have told you many times it is Ms. Rice. And Madison will not be leaving this house. Understood?" she clipped at him. 

Adam rolled his eyes at her, attempting to be discreet. It appeared Eva had seen as she reached forward and roughly grabbed his chin, twisting it hard to face and clearly gripping it hard.

"Don't disrespect me boy" she grunted out at him before shoving his face away vigourously. Adam only glared at her before raising his arms in mock surrender.

"Come Maddie" he said to her, all while keeping eye contact with Maddie. He reached behind her and steered her towards the stairs. 

Maddie and Adam sat on his bed for over four hours playing cards, Maddie found out she was good at rummy and awful at poker. His room was different from what she expected, it was very comfy, with soft sofa's and rugs on the wooden flooring. 

At one o'clock the pair went downstairs in search of something to eat, Adam made them both a sandwich and a packet of crisps. Maddie found herself quickly becoming comfortable in his presence, he was the only warm, welcoming face in this place and she knew to accept it. 

After lunch Maddie went back to bed, she was still bone-exhausted from her arrival. A week of walking and sleeping on the streets does that to a person, let alone one like her. She slept deeply until five o'clock when a sharp knock interrupted her dreamless sleep.

Adams red-head poked around the corner of the door. 

"Are you still asleep?"

"I was" Maddie croaked from under the covers. 

"Oh, well sorry. I have been ordered to clean the living and dining room. Wanna help?" he said with a hopeful look. 

"Your not sorry, are you?" 

He seemed to deliberate for a while, "No" Dejectedly Maddie peeled herself out of the bedclothes before following the now smirking teenager. 

Within an hour they had successfully vacuumed the floor and dusted the shelves, emptied the dishwasher, rearrange the bookshelf, polished the table and chairs and plumped all the cushions on the sofa. 

Both sunk down into the nearest sofa, sinking into the deep cushions they had just plumped. 

"Up" The pair looked up and behind them to see 'Mrs Rice' standing over them with a frown on her face. "You need to start on the upstairs rooms and bathrooms. Now."

"What about dinner?" Adam looked miffed at the apparent lack of food. 

"You can eat after you have done upstairs."

"But that'll take ages. Why do we even need to clean it now, can't we do it tomorrow?"

"Your godfather will be arriving tomorrow and I want him to know this house is under control." she looked furious at Adam's complaint despite the fact that her pale skin never changed in the slightest. 

"He doesn't care if it's clean"

"Yes he does. He pays me to keep it clean and orderly, you included."

"I'm not an object. Besides you shouldn't have got rid of the cleaner." Adam was getting angrier, Maddie wasn't sure if it was long-term pent up anger or the fact that his godfather arriving tomorrow gave him more freedom to be rash. 

"Upstairs. NOW"

"No. I thought he payed you to do it?" An insolent smirk found its way onto his face. Maddie could see the steam leaking out of Eva's ears. In one swift movement she bought her hand down on the side of his face, hard. Adam flinched only slightly as a red mark blossomed on his freckled cheek. 

It was Maddie who flinched the most, practically falling off the sofa. Immediately she jumped up and latched onto Adam's arm, trying to drag him off the sofa. 

Reluctantly he followed the girl, not before sending a glare at the women who was smirking back at him.  When they were in the safety of Adam's room, Maddie turned to the boy. 

"Does it hurt?" she asked, indicating the red shape. 

"Nah, she doesn't hit hard." For some reason Maddie didn't quite believe the boy. 

"Hit her back" Adam looked mildly horrified at her suggestion but a she could see the part of him that really wanted to. 

"I can't hit women"

"You hit me earlier" she replied indignantly which was met with a scoff.

"I half-heartedly swatted your head for being an idiot. Besides your not a women, you're a little kid." A pout formed on Maddie's face as she crossed her arms, Adam only ruffled her hair and pulled her upright. 

"Come on, you better get cleaning before the bitch come's back" Maddie stifled a laugh as they set to mopping the corridor. 

They only managed half of it before the cruel women appeared and told them to go to bed, much to Adam's protests about the lack of food. 

Maddie fell asleep in the comfortable bed wondering what Adam's godfather would be like in the morning. Hopefully she could get some more answers on her uncle. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Bleeding Heart By ...

General Fiction

11.5K 240 18
Amalia has experienced more pain in her 16 years of life than many others do. Her life has always been filled with hurt, pain, hopelessness But one d...
Lucent By ads ¡¡

Teen Fiction

136K 3.2K 16
lucent (adj); softly bright or radiant ✿ ✿ ✿ My brother's hand traces the cut on my right cheek for some minutes. I have no idea how a cut can b...
2.3M 57.7K 35
6 older overprotective brothers. No parents. First year of high school that more than half her brothers go to. What can go wrong? Especially when sh...
785K 21.4K 53
**Contains Rape,Abuse, Suicide, do not read it if your not comfortable** The William siblings are not as close as they used to be. Because of one mes...