Following the Stars

Fiercetalons द्वारा

After waking up from cryosleep after 125 years, Sky must explore Planet Alpha and the mysterious people there... अधिक

First Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Seven

68 4 0
Fiercetalons द्वारा

My eyes opened, but it was so dark that it made no difference. A sedative stick. Of course. I was such an idiot. Josephine would never agree to waste a host, not if she was that crazy. Immortal.

On the bright side, I had a plan.

The sound of breathing came from next to me, "Bellamy?"

"Sky?"

"Are you okay?" I asked.

Bellamy replied with a question, "What are you doing here?"

"Rescuing you," I answered.

"You're doing an amazing job."

I leaned against the wall as I stood up. She'd barely sliced my arm, but she'd stabbed deep into my leg. I guessed she valued me being a host, so she bandaged up my leg before I'd woken up.

She'd also moved me to a room in the palace.

Opening the blinds on the window, I saw it was the middle of the night. I'd been out for the whole day.

"I've been unconscious all day?" I asked.

Bellamy then shrugged, "Yeah."

I pulled hard on the chains, trying to run towards the door. The chains bit at my wrists, making them bleed. I tried again and again. I couldn't reach the door.

It turned out I couldn't reach the windows either. I looked out at the fields, at gatherers bringing their baskets of food into Sanctum.

"Oh no," I just remembered, "Echo-"

"What happened to Echo?" Bellamy snapped.

I frowned, "Clarke- Josephine- told her you were on the gathering group, but Echo didn't trust her, so she went after you. Josephine sent Jade after her."

Before either of us could say anything, the door clicked open. Josephine walked in, and it clicked shut again. I pretended to be asleep as she fully opened the windows.

Josephine kicked me really hard in the leg, right where she'd stabbed me. I wanted to scream, but I didn't move.

Not until she shrugged and unchained me to check on my bloody wrists.

I punched her in the face, then wrapped my arm around her neck, securing both of her hands behind her back. The chain clicked as her wrists were bound.

"What are you doing?" Murphy asked. I didn't notice him follow Josephine in.

"Leaving," I grabbed the key from Josephine's pocket and held it up, "You want to come?"

Josephine glared at me, "You won't get past the twenty guards in the hallway, or the ten stationed around the front of the palace."

I smirked, "I'm not going through the hallway. Or the main door." Limping over to the wall, I opened the window.

"Are you crazy?" Bellamy asked.

"Definitely," I answered, standing on the edge of the window.

Josephine said in a bored voice, "Look, I may hate you, but you're a host, so I don't want you to die."

"So that you can murder me to live on for all eternity," I finished, "Sounds fun, but I think I'll jump out of the window and render myself useless to you." I reached my foot out.

"Don't!" Josephine and Bellamy yelled at the same time.

I turned around to face them, "Why not?"

"You want to make a deal?" Josephine asked.

I stepped down, "I will release my friends. You will help us build a new Sanctum, and then you won't bother us ever again. Whether you need a host to survive or not, you cannot have Madi. If this deal is broken, I kill all the Primes and destroy their mind drives. Those are my terms."

"I accept," Josephine said, "But my dad still has to agree."

"Good," I said, "See you tomorrow for the meeting."

Josephine frowned, "What meeting?"

"The one where we discuss this deal with the other Primes," I smiled sweetly as I unchained Bellamy and dropped the key just out of Josephine's reach, "Goodbye."

I limped straight out of the room, not looking back.

"You said they couldn't have Madi," Bellamy whispered as we left the palace, "You didn't include yourself."

"I know," I said as the door opened.

The others looked at us as we walked in. The glanced at my leg, but didn't pay it much attention since it was normal for me to get into fights.

"Where's Clarke?"

I explained to them what happened with Josephine. All few of them cried. I mean, she was their friend, leader, and family.

Sitting down in the corner, I let my thoughts take hold for a moment. The door opened, and a little girl came running in.

Madi.

It may have been hard to explain to the others, but then I realized we had to tell Madi that her adoptive mother and best friend was dead.

Letting Bellamy tell her and pull her into a hug, I just sat in the corner, not moving. But while Madi spoke to Gaia, Bellamy walked over to me.

"Don't you feel anything?" Bellamy asked, wiping tears from his eyes, "She was our friend and you don't seem affected. You are carrying on like normal, like she never died. Like she never existed at all."

But before I could answer, Madi walked over to me, "I know you're not Clarke, but you- you remind me of her and-" The girl burst into tears and hugged me.

I couldn't move for a moment, but then returned her hug, "I'm so sorry."

Gaia then took Madi upstairs to go to sleep.

"How do you do that?" Bellamy asked.

"I compartmentalize," I said, "I think about problems one at a time. Sometimes it's hard, but when there's a lot going on, I can just forget about something for long enough to deal with something else."

Bellamy frowned.

"It's like my mind is full of boxes," I said, "If I don't want to think about something, I just put it in a box and focus on another problem."

"Why?"

I stared at him in disbelief, "These people target nightbloods. I don't care if it means I seem cold-hearted, or if it leads to my own death, I won't let them hurt Madi. Clarke loved her, and I can't focus on fixing this if I'm thinking about Clarke. And if I start to think through exactly what Josephine did, I will end up murdering her."

"Fine," he muttered, "I trust you to try to fix this, but when you're ready to think about Clarke- we're always here."

I nodded.

As much as it killed me to be this cold-hearted, knowing these people wouldn't give up on me, I realized that they should. I feel pain, but after what happened with Kadian, I decided I wouldn't get that attached to anyone else.

Because if I did and I lost them, it would destroy me. I couldn't go through that pain again, so I had to keep Clarke's memory in a box. When I was ready, if I was ever ready, I would open that box.

Someday.

We walked into the meeting the next day. The bruises on my face were mostly gone, along with the cut on my shoulder, but I was still limping.

"Are you okay?" Miller whispered.

"I'm fine," I growled.

Russel smiled warmly at us, as though he didn't just murder our friend to get his daughter back, "Welcome to-"

"Save it for someone who cares," I snapped, "You murdered Clarke. I may not have killed you, but that doesn't mean everything's okay."

Simone bristled while Josephine sat there, twirling her hair.

"Alright," Russel said, "I heard your terms from Josie."

"Just to make sure you got them right," I said, "Would you like to repeat them?"

Russel nodded, "We'll help you build another radiation shield elsewhere on the planet, and then we say goodbye forever. We can never use Madi as a host. If we break the deal, you'll kill us all."

"Sounds fair to me," Josephine had mastered a bored voice.

"Deal," I said.

Russel agreed, "It's too late to go back now, but you didn't exclude yourself as a host in the deal."

"I did not," I replied.

"Alright," Josephine said, "Can I go to my room now?"

Russel nodded. Bellamy grabbed a notepad and started scribbling something down. As we all walked into the hallway, he showed Miller and I.

"What does that mean?"

"Morse code," he pointed at the different letters based on dots and dashes.

Miller and I gasped at the word. A-L-I-V-E.

Bellamy smiled with joy, "It means Clarke's alive."

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

Nightingale Celestria द्वारा

कल्पित विज्ञान

1.8K 224 12
Explorers venture off into the depths of the universe, into the darkness of The Blank Space. What will they discover, or rather, what will discover t...
55.5K 1.3K 25
Clarke is forcibly sent to the ground a few years earlier. The grounders make her part of their community, teaching her to fight and their customs. A...
8.7K 503 9
Rain and Sky escape their war-torn planet and end up on a primitive world where Omegas are seen as needed to be protected and guided by Alphas. Comin...
2K 77 16
Will Sky tell his friends of his past or will bad things happen first in order for them to find out? Who is King Sky's mom and dad? Will Sky be lost...