Chasing the Colemans (ON HOLD)

بواسطة karriekar

"Congratulations tersoro. Mio piccolo genio." I said in a low whisper, making me sound more husky than usual... المزيد

Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 1

35.5K 938 143
بواسطة karriekar

Kara's POV:

"Brooklyn Atlas Coleman! What did I tell you about drawing on the wall?" I shook my head, giving my daughter an unimpressed look with my hands on my hips.

Despite being only three years old, my daughter recognised my angry tone and froze. Being the sweet little troublemaker she was, she turned around with the saddest pout in the world.

"Me sorry mummy." She twiddled her thumbs and looked down, playing the innocent look to a tea. To top off the act, she ran and hugged my legs as a single tear ran down her face.

How could I be mad at her adorable little face?

"I know you are little one," I leant down, cradling her into my chest, "you know mummy doesn't like you doing that right?"

She nodded against my shoulder. "So you won't do it again?"

"Yes mummy."

"Okay then little one, how about you, me and Aunt Hannah make some cookies tonight?" A smile instantly graced her face as she bounced up and down in my arms.

"After you put away your toys of course," I added as I placed her back down on her feet.

She groaned as she trudged her way to her room.

That's my little girl alright. Such character, such grace.

So much has changed in the past 3 years. Before, I was a Masters student in University and had just begun the first stage of my invention, a bionic arm 2.0 which led me to complete my internship at St John's Hospital. Hannah and I were roommates at that time, barely in our apartment, with little or no food in the fridge, relying solely on 2-minute noodles of course.

However, now, with all the scholarships that I've gotten, I was able to get a house in a good neighbourhood. No more 2-minute noodle meals in this household, with Brooke in the house, Hannah and I decided to eat healthier which meant that the fridge was always stocked with delicious organic whole foods.

Brooke had definitely left her mark in every part of this house. From the baby proofed furniture, to the artworks pasted on the wall, the dried food stains on the couch - covered by pillows of course and her toys, strewn across the living room. Not only has our living arrangements changed but I am finally in my last year of university, getting my PhD with a million dollar prototype now completed and ready to be used in the public.

Brooke has turned our lives upside down but in the best way possible. I couldn't ask for anything more. She's such a bubbly little ball of light who can't even hurt a fly but she's a troublemaker alright. She definitely knows how to push my buttons but I mean who can resist her puppy dog face?

Speaking of the devil, Brooke skips into the room with her pig tails swishing from side to side, landing on the couch right next to me.

"Aunt Hannah is coming home late so how about we go to the shops to get the ingredients," I suggested as I fixed the bows in her hair. After putting on our shoes and coats, we were out of the house.

We walked hand in hand as Brooke rambled on about the cookies, chocolate chips and ice cream.

"Mummy, why are there people sleeping on the ground?" She asked innocently, gesturing at a homeless man resting on a sheet of cardboard.

"Don't they have mummies and daddies to take care of them like you do for me?"

I was stunned, not because of her question but of the fact that she mention a father figure. I didn't even know if she knew what a father figure was. I quickly recovered from my shock and replied, "Little one, they aren't as lucky as us to live in a house or have food or clothes. That just means we have to be gracious and always be willing to lend a helping hand to those most in need."

She nodded her head in understanding. Her little hands tugged at my coat as I leaned down, she whispered in my ear, "Mummy, can I have a dollar? I want to give it to that man."

"Sure little one."

I watched closely as she walked up to the man and offered him the dollar with a big smile on her face. She ran quickly back to me giggling all the way. Her small act of kindness made my heart swell.

I knew I wanted to raise my daughter to be a fierce, independent woman who was also gracious and humble, never forgetting about the less unfortunate and remembering the importance of giving.

Once we reached the store, we set out straight to the baking section to get all our essentials. People always stared at my daughter and I but that was to be expected because we looked entirely different. I was half French and half Chinese with pale skin and dark brown eyes. My daughter on the other hand had beautiful olive skin and bright blue ocean eyes. The only thing we had in common was our dark long lushes locks.

Brooke wandered along the aisle as I grabbed the flour and sugar. I kept an eye on her from afar as she tried reaching for the bag of chocolate chips that was high up on the shelf. Before I could help her, she turned to an older man with salt and pepper hair dressed in a suit.

"Ex..excuse me Sir, can you please help me get that?" She asked politely.

The man was surprised by the little human's bold request but complied anyways. He reached over easily and gently handed her the bag.

"Thank you Sir" she said, trying her best to pronounce it clearly.

He nodded, his stoic demeanour diminished for a slither of a second as the corners of his mouth lifted in the slightest way.

I chuckled. That's my daughter alright, melting everyone's hearts.

After 15 minutes of browsing through the shops, we were finally done. Eggs, sugar, flour, chocolate chips, butter, baking powder and a bag of chips? Where did that come from?

I looked at the little culprit as she gave me a cheeky grin.

"Okay little one, just this once." I agreed in the end. Truth to be told, I wanted some of it too, but she could be my scapegoat for now.

As we headed towards the checkout, I noticed Brooke wasn't trailing behind me.

"Brooke! Brooke!" I called out to her, hoping she was not far behind. There was no answer. My heart sank. I dropped the groceries immediately and retraced my steps to the last place I saw her.

"B-brooke!" I repeated, frantically, "Little one, no playing, where are you?"

I searched aisle after aisle and nothing. My baby was no where to be found. I ran throughout the store like a mad woman. No one could stop me, I was a mother looking for her child and if anyone got in the way, they'll wish they had encountered Satan instead.

After 5 minutes, I was on the verge of collapsing on the ground, until I saw a small figure sitting at the front of the store, right at the door. With my sympathetic nervous system bursting with new found energy, I ran to my child and engulfed her in my arms.

"Don't you ever scare mummy like that! I was so worried, you almost gave me a heart attack." I said, heaving a sigh of relief as my daughter was back in my arms, away from danger.

"I'm s-sorry mummy. I lost you. I was scared but the man told me to wait here, not to move because you'll find me." She mumbled into my chest as her tears streamed down her face.

"What man?"

"There," she pointed but there was no one there.

"That's okay little one, we've both had enough scares for today. Let's get the groceries and head home." I kissed her forehead and carried her into the shop.

"Mummy loves you, don't you ever forget that." I soothed her back as she laid comfortably in my arms. "and I will always be there for you, no matter how old you are."

Not long after, Brooke fell asleep in my arms. Mindful not to wake her up, I carried her and the bag of groceries home. That was way too much of an adventure for one day.

Upon reaching home I heaved a sigh of relief, my arms were so sore. Carrying a child and groceries was definitely a strain on my puny weak arms. All the athletic genes in my family passed my generation for sure. Dropping the bag of groceries on the kitchen island, I made my way up the stairs to Brooke's room.

I laid her gently on her bed, tucking her in and placing her favourite bunny under her arms. Her room was an embodiment of her personality; lively and princess-like. As I stroked her head, I prayed that she would stay exactly how she was now, where I could protect her from the nasty world out there. I placed a kiss on her forehead before ducking out the door.

"I thought I heard you come in." Hannah said as she came out of the opposite room.

Moving the conversation to the kitchen, I caught Hannah up on the "exciting" activities that happened that day. By the time I was done, Hannah had a bewildered look.

"Oh goodness gracious. She must be traumatised." Hannah said as she got some ice-cream and spoons.

"I don't know what I'll do if anything happened to her. She's my baby." I replied, tears brimming in my eyes.

"Don't stress hun, nothing has happened, she's safe and if anyone hurts her, I'll be screaming and kicking like a bloody kangaroo I tell ya," She replied with the mouth full of creamy goodness, "we ain't Aussies for nothing."

"You're gross," I stuck my tongue out at her antiques. This is why I love Hannah, she's the best human being in the world. She knows me inside and out.

"Chica, you gotta loosen up a little," I raised my eyebrows at her sudden statement, "your birthday's coming up, we should celebrate by going to the clubs."

She winked teasingly as I groaned, shoving more ice cream in my mouth.

"You know I hate going to social places," I grumbled, sporting a sour look on my face, "sweaty bodies all around, 20 bucks for a drink, feeling disgusting afterwards, no thank you. I'm happy to stay home with my baby watching movies thank you very much."

"Come on chica, it's your 24th birthday" She jammed her elbow in my ribs as I winced, glaring jokingly at her.

I was a smart cookie in school so I skipped a couple years and went to university when I was 16 years old. 3 years later, I was done with a bachelor of science, majoring in biomedical engineering and neuroscience. In my last year of Masters, I adopted Brooklyn, the best decision of my life and now I'm just finishing up with my PhD.

I never took a break from studying or working on my invention so that meant that my daily routine was basically revolved around Brooklyn, studying, lab work and sleep. Social life was not part of the equation at all. After all, I had Hannah anyways, she's the only friend I needed and I think she's more than enough for me to handle.

Snapping out from my trance, I grunted, "Maybe."

That's all Hannah needed to hear before she jumped up on the kitchen island and started doing a victory dance.

"It's party time! It's --" She screamed as I shoved her off, pointing at Brooke's door.

"Oops," she whispered guiltily.

Life doesn't get better than this. Does it?

*****
Hope you liked this chapter!
Vote & Comment if you do☺️

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

481K 18.3K 53
Daniela O'Brien. Dani is the girl you would say has absolutely no luck going for her at all. Two dead parents, an estranged sister and an abusive, c...
2.8M 72.1K 58
Nathan Vaughn is a hard working dad of a beautiful baby boy in which he is prepared to go the extra mile to keep him safe. He is the leader of the bi...
904K 47.7K 75
A Wattpad Featured Novel. (July 2017) _________________________ "Why did you appoint me?" She asked him which made him stop on his tracks. "I don't t...
1.9M 35.1K 55
||completed|| "If loving her is a weakness, I am only a weak man." - Massimo Giordani Massimo Giordani. Even thinking about him sends shivers down y...