Blind and Bereft

By scmimi

In order to uncover the mystery behind her sister's death, Li Jingrui will stop at nothing even if she must b... More

[WANE] Chapter 1 | Sound of Snow
Chapter 2 | Jade Knot
Chapter 3 | Ashes of Death
Chapter 4 | Heaven of Hell
Chapter 5 | God of War
Chapter 6 | Floating Abyss
Chapter 7 | Waning Moon
Chapter 8 | Fell From the Sky
Chapter 9 | Stubborn Mister
Chapter 10 | To Keep Him
Chapter 11 | Four Days With Bun
Chapter 12 | His Façade
Chapter 13 | Inner Courtyard
Chapter 14 | The Ancient Archive
Chapter 15 | Her Second Sin
Chapter 16 | Mercy
Chapter 17 | His Sleeping Chamber
Chapter 18 | Taste
Chapter 19 | Suspicions
Chapter 20 | Haunted Alleyway
Chapter 21 | Awaiting Her
Chapter 22 | Bao Bao-sitting
Chapter 23 | Aftermaths
Chapter 24 | The Goddess and the Maid
Chapter 25 | A Blind Trap
Chapter 26 | Behind His Barrier
Chapter 27 | Sky Void of Stars
Chapter 28 | Her Third Sin
Chapter 29 | Unruly
Chapter 30 | Bitter Taste of Wine
Chapter 31 | Bag of Rice
Chapter 32 | Scavengers
Chapter 33 | Never Let Go
Chapter 34 | Ashes of Memories
[NEW] Chapter 35 | Bittersweet Reunion
Chapter 36 | Phantom Lord
Chapter 37 | Reaching the Stars
Chapter 38 | Furious Love
Chapter 39 | To Be A Maid Forever
Chapter 40 | Desolate Wind
Chapter 42 | Her Fourth Sin
Chapter 43 | Love and Reason
Chapter 44 | One Drop of Blood
Chapter 45 | Ashes Eat Away Frost
Chapter 46 | The Heart Blossoms A Jade Fruit
Chapter 47 | Return All That Is Lost
Chapter 48 | Chaste As Jade
Chapter 49 | Wage War Against God of War
Chapter 50 | Living In A Lie
Chapter 51 | Eyes of the Portrait
Chapter 52 | Upon the Bell Tower
Chapter 53 | Fading Smile
Chapter 54 | Shattered Mask
Chapter 55 | Scroll And Knife
Chapter 56 | Let's Go Home
[WAX] Chapter 57 | Trust
Chapter 58 | First In Her List
Chapter 59 | Family
Chapter 60 | To Protect
Chapter 61 | Disobedient
Chapter 62 | Always You
Chapter 63 | Badblood Brothers
Chapter 64 | Bold Bao Bao
Chapter 65 | Heated Little Thing
Chapter 66 | Stay With Me
Chapter 67 | Beneath the Soil
Chapter 68 | Dungeon
Chapter 69 | Wilted Clover
Chapter 70 | Pawns For Sacrifice
Chapter 71 | Stab in the Heart
Chapter 72 | Infinite Winter
Chapter 73 | To Save Him
Chapter 74 | The Most Beautiful Flower
Chapter 75 | Emperor and Maid
Chapter 76 | Truth of Snow
Chapter 77 | A Hand in the Dark
Chapter 78 | Golden Lotus
Chapter 79 | Colourless Void
Chapter 80 | Victor in Red Sea
[FULL] Chapter 81 | Full Moon Banquet
Chapter 82 | God of War's Gift
Chapter 83 | Ten Thousand Sins
Chapter 84 | Withered Corpse
Chapter 85 | Blood, Fire, And Ashes
Chapter 86 | A Full Moon
Chapter 87 | Wherever You Go
Chapter 88 | The World Had Died
Chapter 89 | Ruling the World
Chapter 90 | Upon the Empty Thrones
Chapter 91 | Blind and Bereft
BLIND AND BEREFT

Chapter 41 | Aggressive

2.3K 275 180
By scmimi

That night, Jingrui went to sleep praying that she wouldn't hear any more haunting voices. She blew out the candles in her room and pulled the blanket over her head, cuddling herself into a ball.

Prince Zhanying, who had excellent hearing, told her he didn't hear it. Her senior, Xiao, who had never lied to her, told her such a sound did not exist. Jingrui refused to think she had gone mad. That night, her heart pounded as she hoped for peace.

And her wish was never heard.

When it struck midnight, the voices came once more, haunting and flowing through the gaps between the door and window sills. She hugged her body tightly and buried herself under the blanket. Her blood ran cold, and the hair on her neck stood straight.

When she peeked outside the window lattice, she saw a silhouette of a woman, and her heart leaped up her throat. Although she was shivering hard, her hands were clammy from sweat. A pungent smell of blood filled her nose when she took a deep breath, and she felt her heart would burst from her chest.

Prince Zhanying had told her she was hallucinating, and she hoped from the bottom of her heart that she was. She rubbed her eyes and glanced at the window once more. Her gaze fell upon a shadow lurking behind the window screen. Long, ebony nails—or claws—slithered under the window sills, trying to pry it open and worm their way in.

Every wisp of air left her lungs and fear filled her mind, clouding her vision with black dots. She jumped from her bed and shot out the door into the veranda opposite the window. A scream strangled her throat, and she covered her lips to stop herself from raiding the night.

The cold, spring air outside seeped into her bones. The moon was new, and the clouds were thick upon the black sky, giving no light to guide her. The voice, which sounded like a yearning screech, screamed at her amidst the tense silence. She shuddered in fear, her breathing quickening, and her senses broke into a mass of chaos.

The night consumed her into a stranded pit of darkness. She closed eyes, too afraid to scan over the courtyard or at the source of eyes she felt were staring right at her. She couldn't go back into her room and sleep with the ebony hands by the window nor could she stay in the darkness that wreathed around her.

Amidst the stillness, something shifted in the courtyard, rattling the bushes. She jumped, her instinct tugged her to move, to seek her safety, to seek a haven. She ran, her bare feet contacting against the cool mahogany, before arriving at the chamber next door. She banged her fists rapidly until at last, the door was pulled open, and she fell forward into the arms of the Prince.

"Good god, Bao Bao, didn't I tell you not to come out of your chamber?" Prince Zhanying scolded, his voice ransacking the night and shattering the silence. Something behind Jingrui shifted at his echoing voice and she flinched.

Prince Zhanying tilted his head to the side, and continued on with his reprimand, "Is it that hard to listen to me? Did you know there has never been a maid who has as much audacity as you—" Before he could finish his sentence, Jingrui lurched inside, and slammed the door shut, knocking onto Prince Zhanying. They both rammed back onto the mattress of the bed, the impact shot her head with dizziness.

The Prince groaned, taken by complete surprise. After he seemed to have regained his bearing, he angled his face at her. "Aren't you overreacting?"

He barely finished his words when she clamped her hands over his mouth. Her pupils dilated between the door and him. Her heartbeat drowned away Prince Zhanying's voice and she gulped. "Don't talk. Someone is out there."

Prince Zhanying lifted her hand from his lips with raised brows, but complied with a whisper. "Do you know what time it is? Have you ever heard of the word 'propriety'—"

She cut him short again with a shushing sound.

He closed his mouth and blinked at her blankly. "Why are you so aggressive tonight?"

She snapped her head his way just to meet his intense gaze. Instantly, she gasped, realising what she had done. She scrambled away from him to the edge of the bed, her heart almost exploded from her chest. "Y-Your Highness, I didn't mean to push you like that. I really saw something outside. You weren't being quiet just now, and I felt something behind me twist its neck my way when you spoke. . ."

Just as she had finished speaking, the sounds of the eerie singing returned and she tensed up. "D-Did Your Highness hear that?"

He sat up, his loose hair falling over his face. He fixed his loose robe that had fallen over his shoulder from her sudden lurch. "I did not."

His answer made her feel like a mad woman as she could hear the voice screeching by the door as loud and clear as day.

The desolate wind, the infinite fog.
The dwindling snow, the falling rain.

Each syllable grew louder, and Jingrui inched closer to Prince Zhanying. "Y-Your Highness really can't hear it?" she pulled on his sleeve. "Tell me you can hear it. Please tell me that you can hear it"

Forgetting the night, cherishing the pain.

It grew even closer, and she was completely sure the voice was right by the door.

"God, please don't try to scare me. Tell me you hear it."

"I can't hear anything, Bao Bao, unless you want me to lie to you," he told her as he grabbed her trembling hands that were shaking him abrasively.

As there exists no dawn.

The words rang even louder than Prince Zhanying's voice, and this time, Jingrui was certain she wasn't hallucinating.

"You must be able to hear it now, can't you?"

"How many times must I tell you? I cannot hear anything, Bao Bao, I really cannot—" He paused when a wrenching sound of nails scratching against the door rang throughout the room. He let go of her hands. "Now, I can."

He pushed her behind him before summoning his sword. The scratches mixed with the voices grew in volume and intensity before the door burst open. A slender figure of a woman with black hair covering her face stepped into the room. Her skin was white like paper, and her movements were rigid like a manipulated puppet as she coursed her way towards them.

Jingrui's eyes widened when she saw joints in between her arms and legs. "A mannequin?"

Prince Zhanying's grip tightened on his sword and his eyes darkened. "No." His jaw clenched and his loose hair cast a menacing shadow over his face. "I can smell a soft scent of rotten flesh. It seems someone is using their inner power to manipulate corpses."

━━━━━━━━━━━━

If you enjoyed, please smash that golden star and make my day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.8K 3.4K 133
Jing He, crown prince of the nine heavens, has to descend into the mortal realm to weather a human life full of vicissitudes. Each event carefully cr...
48.2K 3.5K 103
Jing He, crown prince of the nine heavens, has to descend into the mortal realm to weather a human life full of vicissitudes. Each event carefully cr...
102 0 26
Once soaked in your love's tender rain, Wringing it out, dreams of vengeance gain. A heart's metamorphosis, a tale spun, In the echoes of love, reven...
7.9M 465K 48
Wang Li Xun, the Crown Prince, goes out hunting for the Celestial Flower to save his mother from a terminal illness. When he nearly dies from the att...