Blind and Bereft

By scmimi

In order to uncover the mystery behind her sister's death, Li Jingrui will stop at nothing even if she must b... More

[WANE] Chapter 1 | Sound of Snow
Chapter 2 | Jade Knot
Chapter 3 | Ashes of Death
Chapter 4 | Heaven of Hell
Chapter 5 | God of War
Chapter 6 | Floating Abyss
Chapter 7 | Waning Moon
Chapter 8 | Fell From the Sky
Chapter 9 | Stubborn Mister
Chapter 10 | To Keep Him
Chapter 11 | Four Days With Bun
Chapter 12 | His Façade
Chapter 13 | Inner Courtyard
Chapter 14 | The Ancient Archive
Chapter 15 | Her Second Sin
Chapter 16 | Mercy
Chapter 17 | His Sleeping Chamber
Chapter 18 | Taste
Chapter 19 | Suspicions
Chapter 20 | Haunted Alleyway
Chapter 21 | Awaiting Her
Chapter 22 | Bao Bao-sitting
Chapter 23 | Aftermaths
Chapter 24 | The Goddess and the Maid
Chapter 25 | A Blind Trap
Chapter 26 | Behind His Barrier
Chapter 27 | Sky Void of Stars
Chapter 28 | Her Third Sin
Chapter 29 | Unruly
Chapter 30 | Bitter Taste of Wine
Chapter 31 | Bag of Rice
Chapter 32 | Scavengers
Chapter 33 | Never Let Go
Chapter 34 | Ashes of Memories
[NEW] Chapter 35 | Bittersweet Reunion
Chapter 37 | Reaching the Stars
Chapter 38 | Furious Love
Chapter 39 | To Be A Maid Forever
Chapter 40 | Desolate Wind
Chapter 41 | Aggressive
Chapter 42 | Her Fourth Sin
Chapter 43 | Love and Reason
Chapter 44 | One Drop of Blood
Chapter 45 | Ashes Eat Away Frost
Chapter 46 | The Heart Blossoms A Jade Fruit
Chapter 47 | Return All That Is Lost
Chapter 48 | Chaste As Jade
Chapter 49 | Wage War Against God of War
Chapter 50 | Living In A Lie
Chapter 51 | Eyes of the Portrait
Chapter 52 | Upon the Bell Tower
Chapter 53 | Fading Smile
Chapter 54 | Shattered Mask
Chapter 55 | Scroll And Knife
Chapter 56 | Let's Go Home
[WAX] Chapter 57 | Trust
Chapter 58 | First In Her List
Chapter 59 | Family
Chapter 60 | To Protect
Chapter 61 | Disobedient
Chapter 62 | Always You
Chapter 63 | Badblood Brothers
Chapter 64 | Bold Bao Bao
Chapter 65 | Heated Little Thing
Chapter 66 | Stay With Me
Chapter 67 | Beneath the Soil
Chapter 68 | Dungeon
Chapter 69 | Wilted Clover
Chapter 70 | Pawns For Sacrifice
Chapter 71 | Stab in the Heart
Chapter 72 | Infinite Winter
Chapter 73 | To Save Him
Chapter 74 | The Most Beautiful Flower
Chapter 75 | Emperor and Maid
Chapter 76 | Truth of Snow
Chapter 77 | A Hand in the Dark
Chapter 78 | Golden Lotus
Chapter 79 | Colourless Void
Chapter 80 | Victor in Red Sea
[FULL] Chapter 81 | Full Moon Banquet
Chapter 82 | God of War's Gift
Chapter 83 | Ten Thousand Sins
Chapter 84 | Withered Corpse
Chapter 85 | Blood, Fire, And Ashes
Chapter 86 | A Full Moon
Chapter 87 | Wherever You Go
Chapter 88 | The World Had Died
Chapter 89 | Ruling the World
Chapter 90 | Upon the Empty Thrones
Chapter 91 | Blind and Bereft
BLIND AND BEREFT

Chapter 36 | Phantom Lord

2.3K 271 147
By scmimi

Xiao, along with the men who turned out to be the Phantom Sect's disciples, led Jingrui and Prince Zhanying up the mountain through a shortcut. After countless twists and turns through jagged roads, they came to a clearing on the summit.

The grey clouds cloaked over a large training ground, and a towering statue of a dragon stood tall, watching them as they entered the Sect. There were several compounds occupying the space at the top of the Jade Dragon Mountain, and pine trees grew surrounding it, bringing its soft scent along with the wind.

Jingrui walked closer to Xiao and nudged him with her elbow. "So, how did my good-for-nothing senior become a general at this scary sect?"

"Skills." Xiao smirked. "I hiked up this mountain, ran into these Phantom Sect disciples, and pleaded with them not to hurt me. I told them I was a stray immortal searching for a competent Master, and after they realised I wasn't from the Celestial Tribe, they took me to the Phantom Lord. The Phantom Lord is very weird, but we clicked, and I worked really hard until all the disciples here acknowledged me as their General."

Jingrui raised her brows. "That easy?"

Xiao nodded as he pounded his fist on his chest. "Of course. Did you expect less, lass?"

Jingrui snorted at his boast. "So . . . how was it, coming here? Did you find anything?"

He shrugged his slack shoulders. "Not much. This sect is like any other ordinary sect that trains skilled disciples. The only strange thing that happened was when I asked a senior disciple here for a man named Li Yu. The senior disciple's face immediately turned ashen, and he walked away from me without saying a word. After that, he never talked to me again. So, from then on, I didn't dare ask around anymore." Her senior glanced around at the compounds. "Even then, it's a nice place here. Everyone is friendly enough for me to get around, so there has been no problem thus far. But what about you, Jingrui? The Hell Palace and this angsty God of War? Tell me about it."

"I've found nothing too, Senior, except that everything within the Heavenly Palace seemed to lead me to this mountain. Something about this Jade Dragon Mountain, I can feel it holds the answers we are looking for." Jingrui sighed as she realised both her and Xiao had made no progress. "The Heavenly Palace is scary, Senior. The Emperor is mean, always out to bully me and His Highness."

"You seem close to that icy God of War . . . I've read from many scrolls of the revered God of War's merits, and how distant he is to the world. How different he is in real life. Not only is he blind, but he also seems to look after you well."

Jingrui grinned. "He only treats me well because fate loves me. You see, I accidentally saved him on my first night at his Palace. Afterward, he probably felt indebted." Jingrui smiled brightly as she watched Prince Zhanying who walked in front of her. "But really, I think he just finds me an amusing show."

Xiao patted her shoulder. "Well, at least he has no intention of hurting you. So, you better coax him and butter up to him in every possible way, so in that sense, you will have someone as powerful as him to keep you safe."

Jingrui nodded, heeding her senior's advice.

Soon, they arrived at a large hall in the middle of the compound. Xiao pushed the heavy, metallic door open and led them inside.

Several candles stacked over each other, flickering flames across the hall. She stayed close behind the figures of the Prince and her Senior, glancing at the spider webs that hung from the walls and ceiling, cloaking over the torch stands. Each step she took, marked footprints against the dusty, red carpet and turned her shoes black.

A man sat on a large, jade throne at the end of the hall. He wore a dark hanfu, and a feather mask was placed over his face. His long hair receded down from the throne and onto the grimy floor. In his hand was a golden cup of wine which he placed down when he sensed them entering. With just one glance, Jingrui knew he must be the Phantom Lord.

"Who did you bring, Xiao?" the Phantom Lord's voice rumbled like the ocean waves.

"The God of War seeks an audience, My Lord," Xiao replied as he knelt down.

The Phantom Lord grunted as he flexed his neck. "The God of War? That famous Celestial Tribe's Prince?"

Prince Zhanying stepped up. "I am sent by the Heavenly Emperor to patrol this land. As a crossing path towards the Demon Realm and one of the Eight Pillars, we need to burden your hospitality."

The Phantom Lord let out a menacing chuckle, echoing throughout the hall. A certain hatred ran rich in his laugh, making Jingrui feel uneasy.

"The Heavenly Emperor must care a lot about the world to send the revered God of War to these sacred mountains just to patrol the Demon's activities," The Phantom Lord said with sarcasm rich in his tone. "Since the God of War has taken the time to grace this anonymous Sect himself, how can I not offer you great hospitality?"

The Phantom Lord sat up straight, his chilling voice echoed in the air. "But I would like to state one rule of our Sect that you must keep in mind: you are prohibited from stepping foot out of your respective resting chambers after midnight." A hostile feeling crept over his tone before he waved at them dismissively. "Otherwise, feel free to use the compound. Xiao, give them the guest quarters. If there's anything they need just give it to them."

━━━━━━━━━━━━

If you enjoyed, please smash that golden star and make my day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Empress Wears Gucci By f

Historical Fiction

259K 10.6K 95
*2nd editing* If you like historical, harem affair dramas, and the underdog rising to regality, you will like this book! After Carmen Han gets into...
EMPRESS LIU By Desi Turtle

Historical Fiction

299K 10.4K 55
When Liu Changsheng came into the Emperor's household marrying the fourth Prince he had no ambition at all. He was just a fool in love. He was assaul...
90.2K 6.2K 171
Jing He, crown prince of the nine heavens, has to descend into the mortal realm to weather a human life full of vicissitudes. Each event carefully cr...
Priestess of The Moon By Leah

Historical Fiction

246K 20.8K 46
Li Xiang is the Priestess of the Moon, she can see read the stars and fortune as well as misfortune to her people. However, the life of a Priestess c...