Even If It Kills Us (On hold)

By QueenTE

"I don't want you hanging around that boy, Ember. He's bad news." While following in his father's footsteps... More

Dear readers
Characters
Prologue {Edited}
Chapter One {Edited}
Chapter Two (editing)
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One {Edited}

Chapter Five

2.3K 195 195
By QueenTE

The wind blew harshly, causing strands of Ember's hair to fall to the front of her face. She sighed out in annoyance as she walked across the courtyard towards the front entrance of the school. She'd taken her time to do her sleek low bun and here goes the wind, fucking it up without a care in the world.

"Seriously, you don't have to hate me that much." Ember mumbled as she pushed her fallen hair behind her ear. She was dressed pretty simple today with a pair of Levi jeans and a black lives matter shirt that she tucked in. She wore a pair of black and white Dolce & Gabanna sneakers that matched her black shirt with white words. She didn't wear name brand too much because material things didn't mean much to her. Clothes were clothes as long as they were cute.

She wore her black lives matter shirt because they would be having a debate about slavery in her first period. Although she was known as the quiet one, she had a lot of things to say. Ember was on go and ready to read anyone to filth this morning.

"I'm walking you to class." Ember tells Justin.

"Okay." Justin followed close behind her with his Spider-Man in hand. She would always walk him to class every morning, making sure that no one messed with him.

She saw the way that people looked at Justin and judged him. Honestly she hated it. Hated how much this generation of children could be so cruel and careless of others feelings. Justin couldn't help his disability.

"I'll come find you after lunch too." Ember continued. Justin didn't switch classes like everyone else. His class would sit in one class all day or switch amongst two other teachers in the area. They would go outside, bake cookies or read books. They didn't do much. They learned as well not just had fun or anything.

There were other students just like Justin. He was happy that he had others that he could connect with and not just the so-called normal kids that made fun of him. Ember always told her brother that he was unique and special in every way that people wouldn't understand.

Ember helped Justin to his class before she started back up the hall towards her class. She saw Madison in the hall talking to one of her other friends but she didn't say anything to Ember. She didn't care because Madison had been doing the most lately. The bell rang loudly, signalling the students to go to class.

As usual Ember was the first one inside. Her teacher took one look at her shirt and sighed but she didn't say anything. Just as Ember chose her seat in the far back, students started to pile in, including Madison who had been conversing with Tyrell who sat next to her. Ember rolled her eyes. There were many other seats besides the one directly next to her.

Tyrell looked over at Ember but he didn't say anything. He disliked her, a lot but since she was Namiko's friend, he had to pretend to like her. He studied her a little while longer, taking in her facial features. He couldn't deny how pretty Ember was. If he weren't with Namiko before they met, he would have gotten with Ember instead.

"Okay class, I hope you read the assignment last night. Today we will not just be discussing slavery but what has been going on with the protests and riots." Mrs. Garcia says.

"Well, can I start the debate first?" A hispanic girl by the name of Margarita raised her hand.

"Go ahead, start us off." Mrs. Garcia smiled a bit. She was one of her many favorite students including Ember.

"I just want to say that I read the assignment and what happened during slavery was horrible. I mean why were people treated that way because their skin wasn't white?" Margarita said.

"I feel as though black people chose to be slaves." Madison blurted.

"What?" Tyrell frowned as he looked over at Madison.

"Okay Kanye." Destiny, another girl giggled. She was clearly high and found everything amusing.

Ember rolled her eyes.

"Please explain Madison." Mrs Garcia has the same confused look on her face.

"While the blacks are out here protesting and rioting now, why didn't they do that back then? They allowed my people to control them." Madison said. "Also, I don't believe that cops are racially profiling. Those men that are being killed happened to be a threat by not complying with the officers." Madison shrugged.

"I agree. Also I think that Black Lives Matters is a terrorist group. All lives matter." Cody, another white boy said agreeing with Madison who nodded her head.

"These racist ass white bitches!" Lillian shouted. She was another white girl in the class who didn't like Madison and her friend Cody just made it to her list.

"Says the white boy that carries around the confederate flag. That shit is racist as fuck." Dante pointed out.

"Can we all have a debate without swearing, please." Mrs. Garcia said.

Ember frowned as she stood to her feet, all eyes shifted to her. She wasn't used to being on the spot but their words had been enough to make her mad as shit.

"Slavery and choice in the same sentence is like trying to mix oil with water. It was a choice where white supremacy made against black lives and their freedom. Back then my people didn't have any laws for protection. We didn't have rights, no type of justice. The second we tried to stand up for ourselves, protect ourselves or even thought about retaliating on slave owners we were sentenced to death. Imagine everything that's going on now happening back then or vice versa. We'd be getting lynched and shot every single day."

Ember paused. Everyone was quiet as they listened to her angelic voice.

She continued, "So no, slavery wasn't a choice that my people made. Why the hell would we want to bow down to people that are no different than us? Because they have a lighter skin? Please. That doesn't make you superior. Cops are racially profiling still. They see a black human being and automatically think their skin is a weapon or a target. How is running from a police officer with no weapon give them a right to shoot and kill us? We are not slaves anymore and we have our rights just like white people. We have the right to protect ourselves, the right to voice our opinions and all we want is peace and justice for all those innocent lives that were killed in the hands of an officer. These cops be getting off with a slap on the wrist for murder. Let it would have been a black man doing a minor crime, he'd probably be sentenced for life or getting the death penalty. My people are tired. This is where the black lives matter movement comes in at. Cody you're saying that all lives matter but how can they if black lives don't? I'm sure you and Madison wouldn't understand any of this because you're clearly privileged."

"Ember is right. We're privileged. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to say that I'm white. Did you see where that man who was killed because he was asleep in a drive thru because he was drunk?" Lillian asked.

"Rayshard Brooks." Dante said.

"Yes, Rayshard was shot by Garrett Rolfe. They could've escorted him home but killed him instead. Just like that cop Derek Chauvin didn't have to kneel on George Floyd's neck. They wouldn't even let Ahmaud Arbery jog in peace. Need I remind you that this man wasn't a threat, he had no weapons and he fought for his life. They didn't get caught because they did the crime, they only got caught because the video was exposed on social media. If it wasn't exposed then they would have gotten away with it."

"Kendrick Johnson was found murdered, rolled up in a gym mat and all of his organs were taken out and replaced with newspaper to hide his cause of death. The guy that did it got away with it and apparently his father is a former FBI agent who helped his son cover it up. The school even helped cover it up." Destiny said.

"Let's not forget Breonna Taylor who couldn't even chill inside of her own house in peace. Na'kia Crawford who was waiting at a traffic light and some white guy walked up to her car and shot her." Dante says.

"What about Sandra Bland? Or those black men that are getting lynched and nobody knowing how or who did it. Like Robert Fuller and Malcolm Harsch." Tyrell said.

"They hung themselves." Madison blurted.

"That's bull. Do you really believe that?" Ember asked.

"Madison and Cody, do you not see an issue with any of that? I do and I'm white. How come they escort these white mass murderers like Dylan Roof with no problem but can't give people of color the same treatment. James Holmes shot up a movie theatre and every time something like this happens, they're quick to say these people have mental health issues which is never true. They see a person of color and instantly label them as a thug or a criminal. Racism still exists. Wake the hell up." Lillian added.

Everyone agreed with Ember and Lillian but Cody and Madison remained silent. Ember smirked as she sat down in her seat. The racists of the class were exposed. Nothing Madison said didn't shock Ember. There were so many closet racists.

"Cody since you think black lives matter is a terrorist group, what does ku klux klan mean to you?" Dante asked.

"How exactly is that a terrorist group though? What the hell is your definition of a terrorist?" Tyrell asked.

"We ain't out here bombing y'all or shooting shit up, stealing airplanes and crashing them into buildings." Destiny added.

"I hate the fact that these celebrities are out here crying about fucking Gucci stores and shit. Calling their own people animals. Lives are being taken we ain't worried about no name brand shit that a white man made. We talking about innocent lives here." Dante added.

"Answer the questions, Cody. I got one for you too Madison." Tyrell said.

Madison looked away with embarrassment while Cody's face was pure red.

"They quiet now. Probably calling us nakers in their heads." Destiny laughed even earning a few from others in the class.

"Okay class, does anyone else want to add to the discussion?" Mrs. Garcia asked. Since she was a teacher she couldn't choose sides so she remained quiet although she agreed with Ember and the rest of her class. They had good points.

"Nah, we think Ember explained it enough. If they didn't understand that then they never will." Tyrell shrugged.

They weren't on the best of terms but they were mature enough to agree with one another when they were right. Once the bell rang, the class was dismissed. Ember felt better because she finally spoke up for once. If she knew that it would feel this good then she would have been spoken up.

Her phone chimed with a text. Ember pulled it out and went straight to her messages. Someone had recorded Madison and Cody and now they were sending it around the school. It had even made it to YouTube. She had no clue that it would get so far within minutes.

She placed her phone back inside of her pocket as she made her way through the crowded hallway. They were all discussing Madison and Cody who wasn't seen anywhere in the halls by the way.

"Girl what the hell was Madison thinking?" Namiko joined Ember's side. They each had their second class together.

"I'm not sure but she's no friend of mine." Ember shrugged.

Namiko agreed, "I didn't know Madison was a racist. Girl how are you racist but lusting after black men?"

"The world will never know." Ember shrugged.

Madison and Cody were the talk of the school day. Ember didn't even see her in lunch. As usual, Ember sat at the table with her brother, Justin. He was quiet again.

"Is something wrong?" Ember asked him.

"No." Justin said lowly.

"Justin, are you sure?" Ember asked.

He only nodded.

Ember decided to let it go. Her eyes darted around the cafeteria, landing on Adonis and Malik that weren't sitting too far from them. Her eyes met with Adonis's and she smiled a little but broke their gaze. She felt those butterflies in the pit of her stomach each time he looked at her.

Her phone chimed again, this time with a text from Adonis.

You tryin' to be my tutor?

Ember glanced up at him but he wasn't looking at her. He was talking to the many girls that were surrounding his table.

Depends on what.

She patiently waited for him to respond.

Calculus.

Ember responded back with a quick sure before the bell rang signaling the end of lunch. She got rid of their trash before walking with Justin to his class. She didn't trust Tyrell and his friends to leave her brother alone. Once she knew that he was safely sitting in his seat, she made her way to her class. Claiming her seat in between Adonis and Jacoby.

"What's up Ember?" Jacoby greeted.

"Hey." Ember spoke back.

"I heard about Madison, that's real fucked up." Jacoby went on to say.

"Not really surprised about it." Ember shrugged.

"What time are you free?" Adonis asked. He didn't care that he'd interrupted her conversation with Jacoby. He really didn't need the tutor but since his teacher suggested and gave him a list of students to get help from. The first name that caught his eye was Ember's. Doing this would get her extra credit in classes.

"Tonight and tomorrow are my off days but tomorrow I got this thing with my parents." Ember says almost forgetting. They were having a family dinner with her uncles and her cousin's. She didn't see them often because they didn't attend the same school as her or live in the same neighborhood.

Adonis thought to himself. He had to pick up Jr from daycare and Sasha's mom insisted that she drop Jr so that she could spend some time with him. She was clearly not taking no for an answer.

"Tonight? My crib or yours?" Adonis asked her.

"Mine, I have to keep an eye on Justin. My parents aren't going to be home until tomorrow morning." Ember says truthfully. They were both out on business again.

"Aight, just send me the address."

Ember nodded. Usually she didn't invite people over while her parents were gone but she could use the extra credit in calculus considering that her grades were dropping in that class. One glance at Jacoby and he didn't seem too happy about Adonis making moves on Ember.

Jacoby felt as if Adonis didn't deserve a good girl like Ember. All he would do was break her heart. He mumbled something only causing Adonis to chuckle. Adonis didn't care how Jacoby felt, especially when he was the main one talking trash about him with Tyrell at lunch today. They were being loud on purpose wanting him to react but Adonis thought about what Malik told him and he didn't want to be getting arrested again.

Once the day was over, Adonis went to pick up Jr. He brought him food, and anything he wanted from the store before dropping him off to his grandmothers house. He really didn't want to leave him. Adonis would be at home, alone tonight since his parents were out on vacation.

Adonis had a fight scheduled in four days, Friday night with some new kid. The only thing that he knew about was his name which was Damien. Malik filled him in a bit during lunch. Supposedly Damien was the son of an ex kingpin. Adonis didn't care about any of that. Nothing would scare him into backing out of a fight.

The fight was worth fifty thousand, the most that had ever been offered during this type of fight. Last fight with Tyrell was only four thousand. Adonis couldn't lose this fight which was why he would be in the gym every single day after school, although he knew that he couldn't win them all.

It was going on six o'clock and Ember had already sent him the address. He told her that he would be there soon since his son got out of daycare at five thirty. To his surprise she didn't live too far from Sasha. She was just a couple of streets over.

From the looks of it, Ember's parents were living well. Their house was located at the end of the street, but it was the biggest in the neighborhood. As Adonis parked in the driveway he examined his surroundings. There were a few teenaged boys playing basketball in the street at the house next door. Once they saw him they began to stare and question his reasoning for being in their neighborhood.

Adonis didn't say anything. He understood. Unfamiliar faces that showed up on his block got questioned too.

Just as he was about to knock the door came open. Justin stood there for a moment. He didn't say anything. Adonis had seen him around school but he didn't know what his relation was to Ember. He wore a pair of gym shorts and a regular tee while holding his action figures in hands.

"Ember." He called pulling the door further open.

Adonis got a quick glimpse of Ember sitting on the floor near the coffee table in the living room. In school earlier today he noticed that she'd taken her braids out and was wearing her real hair. No matter the style she wore, Ember was beautiful.

Ember's eyes quickly shot towards the door. She stood to her feet, tugging at her shorts to pull them down, "Come in, Adonis. Justin please be back in the house before dark and tell Mark I said hi."

Justin only nodded as he stepped around Adonis to go outside. Everyday after school he'd go next door to play basketball with Mark and his friends. They were the only ones to not judge him.

"You can sit on the sofa or on the floor with me if you like." Ember said as she sat down in her spot on the fluffy rug again.

Adonis sat next to her before removing his homework out of his book bag while Ember continued to write down notes for her test tomorrow.

"Do you want something to drink or eat?" Ember asked.

"Nah, I'm good." Adonis declined.

Ember took a quick look at his homework seeing that his class was working on Euler equations, "I have that same homework. Let me finish this up right quick and then we can do it together."

"Aight. What you working on?" Adonis put his attention on her. Sitting on the floor at the table had them close, so close that he could smell how sweet she smelled.

"Mrs. Garcia has us writing an essay about today."

"The debate?" Adonis asked.

Ember nodded, "You knew?"

"I saw the video."

"Right."

"You're not still friends with Madison after that are you?" Adonis asked.

"Nope never will be. Madison and I were friends for a couple years but she's always been shady, honestly." Ember said.

Adonis nodded his head. He knew that Madison wasn't a friend of Ember's and he was kind of happy that she saw that now.

"Okay, I'm finished now we can get started on our calculus homework." Ember said.

"When we're finished you got to sign the tutor sheet so you can get your extra credit." Adonis said.

"I almost forgot." Ember reached over and signed the paper because she would forget later. There was a comfortable silence between the two of them as Adonis examined her.

"You gonna let me get to know you, Ember?" Adonis asked breaking the silence.

Ember looked up at Adonis, studying him for a moment. She's had guys come on to her but she's never had a boyfriend before. Her mother always told her that heartbreak came with men. Ember knew that she was only telling her that because she didn't want boys around because of her father and uncle's.

"Adonis, I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why?" He questioned.

Ember sighed. She couldn't just come right out and say that her dad was a kingpin. She didn't want him to get hurt emotionally or physically.

"Why do you want to know me, Adonis? Out of all the girls that you can have at school, why me? And don't say it's because I'm different." Ember searched his eyes for answers.

Adonis looked back at her as he chuckled, "Other than the fact that you're beautiful, that's part of the reason too."

Adonis just hated when girls threw themselves at him like half of the girls at school were doing.

Ember smiled a little, "So boys just see a pretty face and think damn I want her?"

"You got me fucked up because I'm a grown ass man." Adonis said.

Ember giggled but slightly rolled her eyes, "Relax, you know what I meant."

Adonis chuckled.

"You can get to know me under one condition." Ember said.

"What's that?"

"Don't waste my time." Ember said.

Adonis licked his lips, "I'm not, ma."

*

"Have you seen this girl? She's fifteen. Her shirt was dark red. Please? Help me find my grandchild." The elderly woman walked up and down the street in hopes to find answers for Paisley McKnight.

People were rushing by, trying to get out of the rain and ignoring the weird old woman. All she wanted was answers. She continued to walk up and down the street holding a sign with Paisley's picture. She was barefoot and her hair had been matted all over her head. Her face was filled with the look of worry and frustration. Frustrated that no one knew a thing.

Behind her a siren sounded. She didn't stop walking back and forth though. She held a strong hatred for cops.

"Ma'am you can't be loitering around this area." The officer said as he walked up towards her.

"Don't you come near me. Don't you dare!" She pointed.

"Comply or you will be detained ma'am." The officer said.

"Fuck you, officer." She said harshly.

"Alright." The cop stepped to her, roughly pulling her arm. He was seconds away from throwing her on the ground. He didn't get the chance to as the frail woman snatched away from him.

"Don't you fucking touch me you dirty son of a bitch! You hurt my arm!" She shouted causing people to look in her direction. Some stopped.

"Hey, don't grab on her like that. She's an elderly." Another black woman was saying.

"What's going on? Grandma Milly why you out here at this time of night?" Adonis asked as he eyed the cop.

After leaving Ember's, Adonis went straight home to take a nap but his mother was worried about her mom. Adonis went by her place but she wasn't there. It was only one other spot that he could check. He hated when she got this way.

"She's a disturbance in the area. I'm just doing my job."

"He hurt my arm." She continued.

"You touched her?" Adonis asked as he stepped to the cop. He could feel the anger in his body rising.

"Please, I know that you're upset about your grandmother but don't walk up to him like that. He wants a reason to pull that gun. Please don't give him one." The woman that stood by Milly said.

Adonis stood there for a moment, letting her words sink in. She knew that he was right. Instead, he read the officers badge number. He smirked a little before turning around to leave.

Adonis was too afraid to leave her home alone so he brought his grandmother back to their home. He let her lay in the comfort of his bed while he sat on the edge of the bed, tucking her in. Instead of sleeping in his room tonight he would take the sofa to keep an eye on things downstairs. Most of the time he slept downstairs listening and waiting for Paisley' arrival.

"Oh Paisley. I miss you. I hope you come home soon." She says as tears fell from her eyes.

"I know grandma. It's gonna be okay." Adonis tells her as he pulled the cover up over her and kissed her forehead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

173K 5.3K 36
[COMPLETE] Lydia and Dustin share the fact that they are boxers. However, the two lead very different lives. Lydia Dunst was raised in the life of bo...
39.2K 2.1K 30
"We're just two people thrown together through the bond of knowing one another's secrets." Mia and Noah couldn't be any more different. When a change...
4.3M 99.9K 49
Dakota is just like every other 17 year old high school senior. Or that's what everyone thinks. Everyone sees Dakota as this funny, sarcastic, and...
3.6M 126K 43
*WARNING: RATED MATURE DUE TO LANGUAGE/SEXUAL CONTENT. READERS MUST BE 17+* *CANNOT be read without reading prior novels in series* Asher Pryce hides...