The Invincible Summer of Juni...

By keyframed

WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION. There are some friends you never forget. It's the summer of 1955. For Ethan Harper, a... More

Dedication
June 2015
June 1955 - One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
July 1955 - Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
August 1955 - Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
June 2015
Acknowledgments
About the Author

Author's Note

13.6K 234 30
By keyframed

The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones is a story about friendship, family, and growing up. It is also, first and foremost, a story about race. It's a story about the struggle that it was and is to be black in America. And because that is a hard thing, this story deals heavily with racism in the attitudes and languages of certain characters.

In this book, white characters use racial epithets such as nigger to refer to black characters; this was not a language choice that I made lightly, but one meant to show the historical (and continuing) use of the word as a slur. If you are not black, please be thoughtful about the harm this language causes when used by non-black people, and use abbreviations like the n-word instead.

Sometimes, content like this is kept away from teens and younger readers because it might be hard to handle. It is hard to handle. But even though this book is fiction, anti-blackness is an undeniable reality. These characters have lived it; I've lived it, and maybe you have too. That's why it was important to me to tell this story as honestly as I knew how—in hopes that one person might read it and empathize with someone different from them, and that another might read it and feel seen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 10.4K 38
The Redding is a sinister force that captures and controls anyone it knows by name. Meg and her fellow survivors navigate a delicate balance of survi...
1.4M 57.1K 37
Isaiah always had his focus set on school and baseball, but when he meets August, he suddenly begins questioning more than just his lack of a social...
85.4K 7.8K 87
A broken marriage. A new job. She works as a Personal Assistant on the ForNoah Youtube channel. Noah is on the autistic spectrum and she fixes things...
836K 19.3K 41
[Small Town / Second Chance] When Jennifer heads back to her hometown after ten years to celebrate her grandmother's 70th birthday, she knows she'll...