A DRAGON'S JEWEL: the Ancient...

By MichelleMalan

Alythia wakes up in a strange new world which she believes she has read about somewhere and some time ago. Ma... More

Author's Note:
Chapter 1: Myth of a Country's Origin
Chapter 2: Strange New World
Chapter 3: A trip down memory lane
Chapter 4: An interesting turn of events
Chapter 5: Fateful meeting
Chapter 6: New Home
Chapter 7: a Girl's folly and a Dragon's fun
Chapter 8: Seeking Truth
Chapter 9: Uncovering Secrets
Chapter 10: Birthday Bash
Chapter 11: Confessions
Chapter 13: Meeting the original Heroine
Chapter 14: Avoiding a Hurricane
Chapter 15: Enemy in their midst
Chapter 16: The Prince and the Pauper
Chapter 17: Forgotten Memories
Chapter 18: A Blond Boy's Heart (part 1)
Chapter 19: A Blond Boy's Heart (part 2)
Chapter 20: The Winter Ball
Chapter 21: Inquiring about the Dark Arts
Chapter 22: Finding the Wolf
Chapter 23: Taming the Beast
Chapter 24: The blue-eyed boy's sacrifice
Chapter 25: Epilogue

Chapter 12: The Troublesome Prince

835 51 8
By MichelleMalan

About a month had passed since the party.

Karlyle was fairly busy the last few weeks instructing those who would take over most of the estate's management for the two years he needed to attend school.

But finally all the preparations were complete and Alythia and Karlyle had now settled into the Academy's dorms.

Today was the entrance ceremony and Alythia felt a rush of excitement sweep over her.

After getting into her school uniform she glanced around the newly furnished room.

Her roommate had yet to arrive so Alythia hadn't the slightest idea who it would be. However, she hoped it would at least be someone she could get along with and that wouldn't make her years at the academy too troublesome.

Alythia smiled at the idea of avoiding any and all problematic people – apart from Karlyle of course since circumventing him was next to impossible.

Just then a knock came from the door.

She thought it would be Karlyle since he had promised to come fetch her before the ceremony.

Thus she swiftly glided across the room and hurriedly unlocked the door.

However, what met her instead was a black mop of hair, a pair of golden eyes, and a foolish grin.

"Pinky!! Long time no see, how've you been?" the boy asked in an overly friendly manner, placing his arm around her shoulder.

Alythia's face contorted and she pushed her tongue out in disgust.

'Why do I have to deal with this guy so early in the morning?' she thought as she quickly slid out from under his arm.

"What does ink-for-locks want? If its bleach I can't help you"

The Prince noticed the irritation practically oozing out of her voice.

"Eh? Pinky, are you insulting the crown?" the boy responded with an arched brow, in a tone that seemed to challenge her.

Alythia let out an inward sigh "I wouldn't dream of it your Highness, the name is merely a sign of my affection. Can't a lady innocently appreciate the beautiful black locks of our country's crown prince without being accused of treason?" she mockingly asked.

He stared at her in disbelief. "Watch it, don't say stuff like that – even as a joke. Do you think I want to die?"

The Prince shook his head in a disapproving way "Kyle's too smitten to listen to reason so he may very well kill me just for receiving your fake compliments"

A wide smirk replaced the disgusted expression on the girl's face "Well your Highness, wouldn't that be a shame" she said, her voice overflowing with sarcasm.

Blake's forehead wrinkled into a deep frown. After a few moments, however, he heaved out a sigh and his face returned to its original state. "I'll let that go since you're my best friend's girl. Now listen ----"

"HAAAA!???" Alythia interrupted him, her face utterly discomposed.

"Kai and I... we're not... it's not... not yet anyway..." she said while glancing to the side with her head down, desperately trying to hide her blush.

Blake stared at her for a long time with a stupefied expression plastered all over his face.

"Pinky" he finally began, his eyes narrowing "Tell me, be honest now, are you some special kind of an idiot?"

Alythia's eyes stretched wide at his barefaced comment.

'This serpent!! Where does he even get off??? Between the two of us, isn't he the bigger idiot by far???'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ah I think the current situation calls for an interjection of some kind.

You see dear reader, the reason our lady dislikes this boy so much is the result of a series of unfortunate events.

Blake isn't really the type of person to think things through, and like most boys he has quite the adventurous streak. He is also very companion-oriented and thus finds little pleasure in doing anything alone – no matter how fun or heroic the act might seem.

For these reasons, poor little Alythia – as equally spontaneous and easily convinced as she's always been – has so very often had to be the unwilling ally of our Basilisk's schemes.

However, they make an absolutely horrendous team – which is unfortunate for both of them but most of all for Alythia since Karlyle always seems to be stuck cleaning up their messes in the end.

The little snake would scurry on home, leaving our pink-haired damsel to listen to hours upon hours of a furious Dragon's lecture all by her lonesome self.

So it's not at all surprising that the girl had developed somewhat of a distaste towards the Prince because of how often he had abandoned her in the past.

Though, let the reader not misunderstand me.

There is some affection for the black-haired boy edged within her heart as well, but it is the kind of affection that prefers to remain hidden.

The type of fondness one would feel towards an annoyingly arrogant older brother – though he continually rats you out to your parents you would still never wish for anything truly harmful to overtake him.

Or another way of looking at it is perhaps the affection a dog might feel towards a cat he grew up with. The dog would never hurt the cat – perhaps would even protect her against another dog – but he would never admit to his fondness for her, especially not in earshot of any other dogs.

Such was the affection both Alythia and the Prince held for one another.

But now enough of that – let us return to where we left off....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So listen" the prince continued, completely ignoring the girl's state of shock "I need your help with something. Accompany me to the garden ALONE after the entrance ceremony – make sure Kyle isn't around or he'll get in the way"

Alythia eyed him suspiciously before firmly rejecting his request. "You know Kai doesn't like it when you involve me in your schemes"

"Oh? I didn't know you were so obedient. Tell me, do you always do everything Kyle says? Shouldn't you start calling him 'daddy' then?" he said in a condescending tone.

Alythia's cheeks puffed up as the rage from deep within her heart threatened to boil over.

You see, dear reader, Blake was a clever boy. He knew that the easiest way to manipulate someone into doing anything is to involve their pride. Pride, dare I say it, has been one of the main culprits of misery in every nation and every man's heart since the world began. It is a spiritual cancer – devouring even the possibility of practicing any form of common sense.

And alas, our little pink-haired damsel was not immune to the struggles of man.

"Fine" Alythia mumbled, in utter defeat. "Now get out of here before 'you know who' shows up".

As she was hurriedly pushing the irksome Prince away from her door she suddenly heard the howling sound of wind and froze on the spot.

"Tia, what are you doing?" a voice asked somewhat suspiciously.

She yelped before sheepishly peeked her head out from behind Blake's back.

Karlyle walked over to her.

Blake wisely stepped out of the way the moment he saw him approaching. "Well cheers you two, see you at the ceremony!!" he said with a salute before dashing towards the nearest exit.

Karlyle momentarily glanced at his retreating figure, before returning his focus to the guilty looking girl shyly standing before him.

"What was that about?" he asked, gently cupping her cheek in his hand.

"HA!? W-what was what!? It was NOTHING!!! Absolutely NOTHING... ah you know Blake, he's always up to some—ah I mean nothing, yea he's always up to nothing"

"Tia" Karlyle said with a tone of warning "you're not hiding anything from me are you?" He moved his fingers to her chin and slowly tilted her head back. "You know I'll find out eventually, wouldn't it just be better to tell me now?"

Alythia gulped when she saw the grave expression on his face. "It really is nothing" she said, faking a smile "Kai worries too much"

Karlyle looked down at her and a glint of tenderness flickered in his eyes. "Perhaps I do, but isn't that Tia's fault? You're too reckless and you never think anything through so I have to be overly-cautious to compensate, don't I?"

"Touché" she said with a dejected voice, returning her eyes to the ground.

"Hey now" Karlyle cooed, lifting her head up once more and planting a soft kiss just below the corner of her right eye. "You look very pretty in your uniform by the way" he continued as he used his thumb to gently stoke over the place he had just kissed.

Alythia's eyes shimmered at his compliment "Hehe do I look like a legendary Warrior in training??" she asked with a toothy grin.

Before responding Karlyle placed his arms around her neck, completely enveloping her, and leaned down nuzzling his head into her shoulder "You look like someone who will be the cause of me committing a crime" he mumbled as his breath tickled her skin.

"Huh? What crime?" Alythia asked, tilting her head in confusion.

"Murder" he blankly responded, still leisurely resting on her.

"Eh? Who does Kai plan on killing??"

"Whoever I catch looking at you"

She silently stood there as his arms tightened around her. After a few moments, however, she let out a giggle – deciding against all odds to assume that he was only kidding.

Whether he was or not wasn't for her to decide.

And with that thought she loosely wrapped her arms around the boy's body, returning the hug.

"Shall we go?" she eventually asked, after a few moments of nesting in his embrace.

Karlyle didn't respond but she felt his head slightly nod in agreement.

As she stepped back she took his one hand in hers – interlacing their fingers – and walked off towards the main hall.

The Dragon was acting surprisingly tame today and just obediently followed along without much of a hassle.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 233 158
After a god screws up and accidentally takes high schooler Shou's life, he offers him reincarnation with a gift to make up for it. Shou asks to retai...
60 14 12
Prisca, a young teenager, is tormented by vivid dreams that hint at a life she doesn't remember. As these dreams intensify, Prisca finds herself draw...
2.7K 262 45
Maeve thought, at first, that she was just dreaming. The things of beauty she beheld, the wonders she experienced... Surely they were all just happen...
349 63 64
As Edie falls deeper into her relationship with Leila, her friends worry about her. The revelation about her girlfriend doesn't bother her-but they w...