The 65th Hunger Games

By teamkatniss1

Ever wondered what Finnicks Hunger Games were like? This book will answer that question. Find out from Finni... More

Chapter 2

Chapter 1-

82 3 3
By teamkatniss1

Hi so this is a book about Finnicks Hunger Games from his P.O.V! It is my second Hunger Games Fanfic. Check out my other book, MockingJay Trapped!

Reading Hint: Whenever you see regular print, it is Finnick when he was 14 in the games. When you see bolded print, it is himself in the present. Hope you enjoy!!

Hi. My name is Finnick Odair...from District 4. You've all heard the story of the Star crossed lovers from district 12. Yeah.. All of that rebellion stuff that finally put an end to the Capitol. Well I have a different story, years before the rebellion...the 65th Hunger Games. My trip to hell.

The world is cold outside, raining. I live in District 4, we are known for the water...but mostly fishing. Its common knowledge. District 4=fishing. So here I am, sitting out in the harsh weather, a rusty metal trident in hand. It was my job to get food for our family. It was always, well you know, fish... fish soup, fish chowder, fish sandwiches, fishsticks, fish pizza...You name it. I was sick of fish. But yet I was still here, staring into a half frozen lake at the break of dawn.

A small trout swam by and I easily stabbed it with my trident. I loved my trident. My dad got it for me when I was 5. He was always giving me fishing lessons and teaching me to lift weights and stuff. When I was old enough, he pressured me to join the football team and I did. Eventually though, to his dismay, I quit. I was into other things...action books, philosophy, girls, and of course still...my trident. I practiced with it every day. And now, I don't mean to brag, but I am pretty handy with it.

I go in for another strike at a fish when I hear the marching. Peacekeepers. Ah yes, the dreaded reaping. It's all my friends and I have been talking about for the past week. Imagine, winning the games, and having all that glory. Your name goes down in history. But killing 23 other innocent people...I had a problem with that part.

I begin to walk back home, 3 fish in hand. One for me, and one for each of my parents.

My mom is up already when I open the stupid creaking wooden door.

"Hi sweetie" She looks worried. I don't ask why though. 1, Im tired and as cold as heck. 2, I already know why. I mean, who wants their kid to be chosen to be sent away to a life or death battle? Certainly not my mother.

"Hey" I grin at her slightly. Her face lightens a little.

"I got something for you" She pulls a golden button up shirt out of a paper bag.

Reaping day clothes.

"Mom why do I have to dress up for a reaping for the Hellish Games?" I grab a knife and begin to skin the small trout.

"Finnick...you'll look nice. Please dont argue. Now when you finish with the fish, go slip it on and show your father." She turns swiftly then looks at me with a motherly glare. "And watch that language!"

I give her a thumbs up and chuckle. For gods sake, I'm 14. You'd think I would be able to say some "adultish" words.

I pull on the too straight gold shirt and glance in my mirror. Ugh, I look like President Snow would've in his teenage days if he were better looking. A shiny, over polished prude.

I drag my feet to my fathers bedroom. Just before I walk in I grab a fistful of the silk and wrinkle it. There, that's a little better.

I turn the handle, push it open and lean against the door way. My father's tall, lean body is sprawled out on his matress. His cloudy colored eyes, a lot like mine, are shut with whisps of grey hair covering them.

"Father" I cross my arms over my muscular chest.

"Huh? " He snaps up but relxes when he sees me. "Oh Finnick. What are you wearing there boy?" He raises his eyebrows at my shiny appearance.

"Reaping clothes" He holds the same expression. "Mom. Wanted me to show you" I sarcasticly hold out my arms, showcasing myself. He chuckles.

"Well you better go get ready then. Comb your hair, brush your teeth"

I nod and turn. There's one last thing I have to do before.

I run down the sandy streets to a baby blue colored house. I knock on the door.

A red headed girl greets me.

"Hey Annie! Sorry I couldn't bring you some fish this morning. I didn't have enough time. I'll make it up to you" I follow her inside and fall backwards onto the black couch.

"It's ok Finnick. How are you?" She looks worried.

"Never been better" I smile and she laughs. Jeez her laugh is beautiful.

Wait. Did I just think her laugh is beautiful? God Finnick, she's just your friend.

"Finnick? " She waves her hand in front of my face. "hello?? "

"Sorry. Hey Annie, if I get reaped today-" I start to talk, staring into her sea green eyes.

"-Shh. It'll be fine" She cups her hand on my cheek.

"I-" I am inntudupted by her mom. And you know, My face is getting awfully tingly from Annie's touch.

"Annie? Finnick? Hey! 20 minutes till the reaping. Umm, yeah, Annie. Better get dressed" Her cheeks blush red and she quickly turns out of the room.

"I have to go. Bye Finnick" She stares at me for a second then suddenly leans in and places a small kiss on my forehead.

She backs up but I pull her back in and kiss her forehead as well. We smile.

"I better go. See ya later Annie!" I rush out the door and my watch dings. Dang, I only got 15 more minutes until the reaping starts.

I quickly run a comb through my hair then mess it up so I don't look geeky.

My parents give me a quick hug (and kiss) then send me off to the town square.

When I get to the front of the line full of kids the woman injects a needle and takes a sample of my blood.

"Head over to the middle left with 14 and 15 year old boys." She points and I smile at her. She blushes and I chuckle. Classic.

When everyone calms down a preppy woman with waayy to much makeup on comes out and makes a speech. The same one she does every year. Capitol, district 13, hunger games, capitol, capitol, control blah blah blah.

"...And may the odds be ever in your favor"

Finally she finishes and walks over to the right side of the stage. "Firstly, the ladies"

I was a little worried I'll admit. Annie was twelve, reaping age. I could only hope she would stay safe.

The woman with too much makeup reaches into the glass bowl with her too polished fingernails and takes out a slip of paper.

"Maria Pearce" I let out a sigh, no one I knew... Personally at least. I knew Maria was 1 year between me and Annie, 13. I watched as she walked, crying, up to the stage.

"Lastly, the men." She walked over so she was on the side we were on.

I started to get nervous now. What if I was picked? What if one of my friends were? I took a deep breath and nearly fainted when I heard her say...

"Finnick Odair"

I simply stare ahead of me. No one volunteers, I didnt expect them too. I hear gasps from my parents and Annie. Oh Annie....

"Finnick Odair? "

Someone pats my back to comfort me by I don't look to see who. I simply put on a fake smile and slowly walk to the stage.

The overdressed puffgirl leads me to Maria.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the district 4 tributes for the 65th Hunger Games! "

All I know is that the stupid odds weren't in my favor.

So that was reaping day, my life changed forever when she called my name that morning. Later, before I left to the Capital I got to say goodbye to my family and Annie. When it was just me and Annie there, I finally told her my feelings for her.

"You have 5 minutes" The peacekeeper closes the door to a small opening.

"Well, this is goodbye I guess" I stare gently into her eyes.

"No don't say that. You have your trident, and everyone will like you" She says encouragingly. A tear escapes her green pupils.

"Annie. Listen, earlier in your house, I realized my true feelings for you. I-I love you Annie. And I know it's too late for me to ask you but...will you be my girlfriend?" I stand in hope that she'll say yes.

"Yes Finnick! Yes" Her eyes are full of joyful tears and she grabs my head and pulls her lips to mine.

The move surprises me but I quickly adjust and place my hand on her face. This is by far the best thing that has ever happened to me.

"Ok times up!" The peacekeeper pulls Annie back.

"I promise! Ill try to come back for you!" I pull on the door but her red hair is far out of sight.

I hope you readers like this book so far. Feel free to tell me what you think in the comments and vote too!! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 4.7K 39
โ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. โž She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...
1.1M 35.9K 62
๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐†๐ˆ๐‘๐‹ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โi just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!โž ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
81.4K 2.9K 50
"๐“๐ซ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ก, ๐๐š๐ซ๐ž, ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ง ๐›๐จ๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ก๐จ๐ฐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ, ๐ˆ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐€๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž" ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ Caitlin Clark fa...
217K 6.3K 75
Daphne Bridgerton might have been the 1813 debutant diamond, but she wasn't the only miss to stand out that season. Behind her was a close second, he...