Tiger, Tiger

By I-ate-Narnia

Alexis Matthews is a shifter, a member of the most coveted pack on Earth. With Alpha's blood flowing in an Om... More

Tiger, Tiger: Prologue
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 1
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 2
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 3
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 4
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 5
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 6
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 7
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 8
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 9
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 10
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 11
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 12
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 12 - Part 2
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 13
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 14
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 15
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 17
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 18
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 19
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 20
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 21
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 22
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 23
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 24
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 25
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 26
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 27... The End

Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 16

44.1K 1.1K 121
By I-ate-Narnia

This chapter is dedicated to Irandall4 because they sent me a super long and lovely comment ^__^ Lots of you loverlies have too, but this one was so nice :) x

It's Frrrriiiidaaaaay :) 

I got to 53 on What's Hot! I can't believe it! I've had so many amazing comments and fans recently! I've been blown away by it all! :D HAPPY BUNNY n__n

I hope you enjoy it and I can't wait to hear what you think! xxx

.......................................................................................................

As I slowly followed Simon through the now eerily quiet maze of corridors, my heart was still causing a racket in my chest. The movement of each nervous, pounding beat left a hollow aching behind. It was slowly dawning on me that I hadn’t thought this plan through. It was a spur of the moment thing, a desperate attempt to escape. What if he needed the keys along the way and found them missing? What if another scientist arrived and saw?

A closed door began to draw nearer at the end of the corridor as if someone had heard my thoughts. Involuntarily I began to shake and I pressed the keys even tighter against me until the sharp metal teeth bit into my skin. Each step became drawn out, the time between us and the door stretching on forever. My chest felt as if it were about to explode.

Simon’s hand rose, and then he pushed straight through the door. Relief flooded through me till my legs shook. Hopefully this luck of unlocked doors would last us all the way to the ‘holding area’.

We rounded another corner into another blank, lifeless corridor, but this time I recognised it. There was a subtle shift in the scent of the air. I smelt leaves and bark mixed with a faint scent of rust under all the human disinfectant. This was the corridor that lead to my family. I was but steps away from setting our escape plan into motion. Steps away from freedom, from fresh forest air, from Alexander. I was filled with anticipation just at the thought.

Like a sun trapped in the small room, I could feel their presence and warmth radiating out as Simon and I moved closer. When Simon almost angrily thrust open the door the sensation swallowed me whole. Seeing them all there, safe as they could be for now, I realised how much being apart from them had taken the strength out of me. Simon’s hypothesis had been right: I needed them more than I could ever put into words.

Suddenly a room full of jewel hued eyes turned to face me. Relief flooded most of their features, some eyes filling with surprise. I must have looked an absolute mess, because worry was etched into the faces of my closest family. No words were spoken, but I could practically feel the messages they sent to each other filling the air. No voices touched my mind though. People seemed too nervous to shatter me like fragile glass.

I turned and caught my image in one of the glass walls, agreeing with my earlier statement. I wouldn’t have recognised the shadowed face looking back at me had I not known that she was my reflection. Her face was pale, tired and thin. Her green eyes were almost human in their dull tiredness. I looked like I’d been broken, waiting quietly behind Simon, but I couldn’t make any move that would lead him to find out what I had done.

My breathing hitched as Simon led me forward and opened my cube door. It yawned widely for me, like an open mouth ready to swallow me up. I stepped in without argument and my heart thudded widely. His face a storm of sadness and anger, Simon closed my door with a hollow thump, before turning and walking away to the door with a sigh.

“There will be a check up session in twenty minutes,” he called over his shoulder, opening the door and slipping out.

The fear and tension that had been keeping me upright suddenly dissipated with his retreating form. My body was tired and too heavy to hold up. I swayed uneasily and then the next thing I knew, the white tiles were moving quickly towards me. I thumped down heavily, the force of impact reverberating through me and sending circles of crimson dancing across my eyes.

A torrent of worried voices crashed into me like a wave, filling my brain with nothing but their thoughts. It was hard to hold onto anything or anyone. There was one conscience though, soft as a caress on mine, which I could pick out anywhere.

I peeled open my heavy eyes and met Alexander’s sapphire ones, burning with worry. For the first time, I let my heart jitter at the sight of his face. When I took down the flimsy wall that I had tried to put up, the space between us crackled with electricity like the air before a storm. It danced across my body and made my skin tingle. I would have been perfectly happy to fall into those eyes and never resurface.

But I had a job far more important than just us to manage first, and time was not something I had a lot of. A weak smile slipped onto my lips as I pulled out the keys from beneath me and held them just above my head, high enough for the pack to see but hidden from the view of any human eyes.  The voices in my head silenced, leaving behind an eerie calm.

‘I brought you all a souvenir,’ I sent out to each shocked mind.

Sam laughed quietly in disbelief. ‘You sly dog, Alexis,’ he murmured, ‘You are unbelievable.’  

I managed to slowly push myself into a sitting position and hid the keys back behind my back. Sally caught my eyes, her mouth slightly agape. Her gaze was distant and tears were welling in her sky blue eyes. I gave her a smile and she jolted back to life, throwing her hands to her mouth as a sob broke free.

Adrenaline sent fire through my veins. It was time to get this started. ‘We don’t have much time,’ I projected, ‘then they’ll all return and it will be our only chance to do this.’ My eyes flickered over the cubicles and judged the space between the top of each glass divide and the ceiling. ‘We should be able to throw these keys from cubical to cubical on this side. Unlock your collar so that you can’t be shocked, but leave it on enough so that they won’t realise. Tom will want to look at me first, so unlock your doors and press them to. When they’re checking me and taking notes, jump out and throw a scientist in.’ I looked around. ‘Understand everything?’

There was a moment of contemplation and then someone spoke. ‘Will we be able to contain them all on this side?’

I chewed the inside of my lip as I thought. ‘I would have thought so, we more than outnumber them. Even if there’s not, these collars are all they have to hold us back and they won’t be on anymore. We can overpower them.’ I surveyed the group again and then my eyes rested on Sally as I spoke again. ‘Then, when they’re all locked up, we’ll get the other side out.’

Sally mouthed ‘thank you’, pulling Camille close to her chest, as I turned my attention as quickly as possible to the keys. I ran my fingers across the back of the metal collar, a smooth band, until my fingertips grazed a small lock hole. I could feel the pack’s eyes on me intently as I searched through the small cluster of keys and found the very smallest one, all the others far too large to have fit in the collar.

Slightly awkwardly, I fit the tiny silver key into the lock and twisted it. It felt like a weight being lifted from my shoulders as a small pop echoed around me and the collar was open. My power was mine to control again. I let out a small sigh of relief and readjusted the pieces until it felt like there was only a small distance between each end. Then, carefully, I threw the keys up and across the divide between my cube and that of another shifter, Sophia.

Like me, she found the smallest key and set to freeing herself from the collar. She looked quickly at me to check that she had done it right, so I nodded, and then managed to find the key that unlocked her door. Just right, she pressed it to, shuffled back obediently and threw the keys over to the next shifter. My heart was going into overload in my chest. This was the only chance we were going to have and we only probably had ten minutes to do it.

I watched the next shifter unlock both his collar and door and then gave into the gaze that burned against my back. ‘Alexander,’ I whispered in no more than I sigh, turning to face him.

His eyes flickered. ‘Are you ok? Where have you been? You've been gone for so long.’

His words struck my chest. Even though he was under the illusion that I didn’t want a thing to do with him, he still cared for my health. He was a better person than I would ever be. ‘I’m so sorry, Alexander,’ I murmured, ‘I would do anything to make up for how cruel I’ve been to you. I don’t hate you, I promise. I can’t believe what it took for me to realise that.’

‘I understand,’ was all he replied, blue eyes almost smiling sadly. Another shot through my heart. I longed to reach out and run my fingers across his jaw, through his hair.

 'Please, please don’t be so forgiving. Tell me what an awful person I am, I deserve it. Tell me that it’s too late to make it up to you.’ Anything but keep being so good to me, my mind begged. It was painful to realise what a perfect person he was.

‘You think you’re an awful person?’ he asked, dark eyebrows rising, ‘How can you even think that when you’ve just brought us those keys? Everything you’ve done since we got here has been amazing.’

My heart was doing some weird flips in my chest, my pulse pounding at my wrists. But before I could respond something hit me on the back on the head. I jumped, shocked from my thoughts, and then heard the jingle of keys hitting the floor. I sighed, wishing I could explain how I felt to Alexander, and picked up the keys. Quickly, I threw them over to him and he caught them with one hand. I studied him quietly as he unlocked his collar and door, before passing the keys along. A few more shifters to go and we’d be ready.

I pulled at the hem of my shirt. ‘Alex, don't, please,’ I whispered, ‘You have to understand that I’m sorry I pushed you aside without getting to know you. I thought you’d be like him, but you’re not. You're really not.'

'Alexis,' he sighed in a way that made my heart stutter, 'I'm not blind. I can see that there are things that have happened - are happening - that have put distance between us. Things that I can't change, even if I wanted to-'

'Those things seemed so important before. Now they don't seem to mean anything to me. I tried so hard not to feel this way, but I need you.’

I felt like such an idiot, but it was the truth. Even though it hurt that he was a Sole by name, he was who I wanted. Mum said that when the time came I would make the right decision and I knew that I had. I couldn’t imagine wanting to be with anyone other than him in my entire life. He was my mate.

'You do?' he asked and I nodded. His lips twitched into a small smile and his eyes sparked. 'I guess we better get out of here then,’ he said, throwing the keys that had been passed back to him into my cube.

‘I guess so.’ My cheeks burned as I caught the keys and slid them behind my back. Footsteps echoed in the corridor, my heart beating ridiculously fast.

‘Ready?’ I asked everyone. They all nodded in reply.

This was our only chance.

......................................................................................................

Ommmm, cliffhanger! :O Sorry :3

I just wanted to say, please can you check out 'Stolen Away' by Elethewombat. She's done a lot for me and this is my favourite story of hers. It certainly deserves a lot more reads.... Cheers :D

Please keep up the VOTES, COMMENTS and FANS! I really appreciate it, Narni xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

685 80 13
Here's a description of the main lead character, Akaida Singh Rajvansh, Akaida Singh Rajvansh is a formidable and enigmatic figure, the CEO of a mul...
1.6K 129 21
Afiya Riyaz is a lovely, carefree girl who aspires to independence and who adores her family. Azlan Khan, the CEO of his company and a professor, is...
167K 6.7K 38
"I want you." With a touch as light as a feather, Cillian hooked a thick finger under her chin to get a better look at her face. "Look at me." Slowly...
322K 12.9K 23
This book is a sequel to His Miracle Mate. *** **** *** Orla learns the secret of her ancestry, a secret that will make her a target if reveal...