Shadows

By AngelofThorns

Abused, Neglected, Hated, Unwanted... Alone... These are the words that Victoria Cruz chooses to describe her... More

Shadows
Punishment
London
Suicide or Escape?
Prison or Safe Haven?
Meet the family
Rules
Exploration
Revelations
Meetings
Friend or Foe?
Offers and declarations
Questions and Answers
Trip
Home
Family and Truth
Departure
The Istrati household - my new home
An invitation
I believe you're familiar with the waltz?
Lost
Smothered
Dance
The ball
Thirst
Awakening
Speculation
Guildford
Truth
Date
Prophecy
Departure
Keys and locks
Twins
Jewels
Training
Surprise
Confrontation
Gift or Curse?
Hunters
Explanation
A little help
Protection
A New Path
Reunion
Let the Games Begin
The Long journey
Plans and Allies
Time to Fight
Blood and War
The End or the Beginning

Meeting the King

329 9 0
By AngelofThorns

The journey was long and almost bored me to death. I had minimal conversation with Aurora, but as I gazed up at the castle when we finally arrived… well it was worth it. It looked like something out of a fairy-tale to me. The Romanian’s sure knew how to build! 

  Setting one foot inside this illustrious and breath-taking castle, I felt nervous. I felt so much more nervous than any other time in my life. What if they didn’t like me? What if they didn’t approve? The Istrati’s and Aurora had told me before that they were all very friendly… but that didn’t mean they were going to be welcoming towards their daughter’s/Siblings love child. The hall that I stood in was both grand and highly decorated. I noted that the family crest was painted on two of the knight’s shields that stood before me. This place felt empty and cold to me… I didn’t get the same warm and homely feeling that I got from the Istrati household. I didn’t like it here, I really didn’t feel safe.

“Don’t look so glum” Aurora teased, hoping to lighten the mood.

“I’m a little nervous” I admitted

“Me too, It’s been a long time since I last set foot here” her eyes drifted along the superior décor. It didn’t seem to enchant her as such but more puzzle and sadden her. I guesse she never expected to return… but time and fate are funny like that.

  The servants made their way towards us, gasping as they recognised my mother. Bowing slightly, both sets of eyes scanned over me, judging on what I was doing here. Aurora grabbed my hand and held it tightly before glaring at the two that had not lifted their gaze from mine. I turned to Aurora with both fear and desperation in my eyes, deeply fretful of what they might do. Her eyes remained fixed on the servants until they decided to finally leave, once gone her expression lightened and she turned to smile at me

“They could not read your mind” she stated

“And?”

“They assumed you were brain-dead mush or something. They never take into consideration that you may be stronger than them”

“How charming” I said flatly, her lips curled into a smile as she listened. It felt good to be with her. All things considered.

“They have however alerted my father to our presence, we will be summoned soon”

“Why can’t we just walk in?”

“I disowned them all remember?”

“Oh” she pulled me in close to her and held me in a cold yet warm, very much needed embrace. The perfume she wore I recognised somehow… how strange that one thing can trigger a lost memory. Her perfume mixed with her natural scent, to me that smelt like roses. Closing my eyes I inhaled as much as I could… hoping to embed it into my memory for good.

  Burrowing against her chest, I wished we could make up for lost time. She kissed my forehead then pulled me back a bit, as she was about to say something we were once more interrupted by one of those damn servants.

“Forgive the intrusion” he muttered as he stooped into a low bow “But the king has requested that your presence in the drawing room” he turned to the side, still in a low bow and held out a hand. Aurora grasped my hand tightly once more and began to lead the way. Each hall and corridor was decorated much the same, knights that stood so proudly against a violet or scarlet coloured wallpaper. Along the walls were a multitude of pictures either of previous monarchy or of scenery. This place seemed so lifeless.

“Boring isn’t it” she mused, echoing my thoughts “If I had stayed in this place then it would have seemed pretty to me… but that was before I tasted the human world. It’s both tragic and yet so beautiful”

“Do you regret anything?”

“Not at all my child. Everything I did I am proud of… I would do it all again if I could. But if I did change anything… then I would have made sure that Daniel and I never set foot near that place” Silent tears made their way down my face as I remembered what Tatiana had showed me… horror was not the word for what I had witnessed.

  The ‘drawing room’ as it was called, was nothing more than an oversized study. There was a fire at one end of the room and countless amounts of bookshelves and chairs scattered along the sides. The desk that was situated in front of the fire was habited by a very aged man with grey hair that was combed back into a neat ponytail. This room along with him spelt nothing than snobbery, pride and a lot of arrogance to me. The aged man looked up from his desk with wide eyes as though he had seen a ghost.

“Aurora, is that you?” he asked as he rose from his desk

“Yes, it is me”

“I…I thought you were… I thought I would never see you again” he went to make his way toward her, but she held her hand up and shook her head which stopped him dead in his tracks.

“Stop!” she bellowed “I’m not here for niceties. This is purely business… well and I thought you might want to see your granddaughter”

“Granddaughter?”

“Yes, her name is Victoria. She is eighteen years old, and not long after her birth I had to give her up for adoption. Now I had hoped that this would mean a better life for her… but that was not the case. She has had THE most difficult life imaginable for a half blood. For almost a year now she has been in the comforting care of our old friends… the Istrati’s” Aurora stood tall and proud whereas the king seemed to shrivel and slumped back against the front of the desk

“Come here child” he beckoned to me. I stared at Aurora who smiled and urged me forward “Come here so that I can get a better look at you”

  Slowly I made my way toward the aging old man who held his arms out wide in anticipation. Once I was close enough, he grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me closer to him. He eyed me all over with pure curiosity and wonder. His eyes fell upon the pendant that I had placed back around my neck in the car and began to frown.

“I see” he muttered, before looking me directly in the eyes which might I add was most uncomfortable “She is the image of you my dear child”

“I know, it is most peculiar”

“Do you know why?” he asked her

“I was hoping you would tell me”

“If you shall permit me, I shall look into it” isn’t that what she just asked him to do? “But in any case, it is nice to have you home”

“I’m not staying” she muttered, wiping the smile clean from his face “Neither is she” seeing his face grow angrier by the minuet, I tore myself away from him and backed into my mother’s awaiting arms.

  The aged king spun around and slammed his hands down on the desk which did a little more than alarm me. This man was supposed to be kind and warm… so why was he being such a brute?

“A temper tantrum will get you nowhere father”

“I will not lose you again” he whimpered

“You never lost me… I just didn’t want to say here or live this life of misery anymore. I still don’t” she stroked my hair in a maternal manner before continuing “I came here to inform you that the Slayers are planning uproar. They are planning a full frontal attack against the kingdom” he spun around with wide eyes and a gaunt expression.

“What!? That is ridiculous!!” he outraged

“Well unfortunately it’s not”

“How can you be so sure?”

“I have my method’s” and I knew fully well what they were… pretending to turn rogue and hate the royals… all so that she could sneak into one of the well-known slayers lair, find the information and then kill him.

“W-When?”

“In six months’ time, so we have time to prepare and retaliate. So I suggest you get onto it right away father”

“I want to help” I mumbled

“How child?” they asked in unison

“Teach me how to fight”

“No” Aurora protested

“Yes. For far too long I have been  pushed around, had things taken away from me without a fight… well not this time. I may not know this part of my family, but that is exactly what you all are, family. I will not stand back and let you be stolen from me”

  They both just stood there, speechless and complete unsure of what to say. Aurora opened her mouth a couple of times, yet as soon as her lips parted, they closed. I walked toward the old king and grabbed his huge hands, feeling a little more than foolish I began my speech,

“Hi, my name is Victoria. I am your granddaughter. Born a Dhampir and hidden from the world in hopes of a more safe and happier upbringing.  I was raised by two human’s names James and Jane, they tried their best and did all they could, yet they could not love me as their own. They were completely terrified of me. My natural born fangs had been filed down yet… I still managed to crave. Under hypnosis that soon changed. Now as soon as Jane gave birth to my foster sister Hannah… I was pushed away even more. I never envied her, I loved her more than anything. I was exiled at home as well as school… so I turned to self-harm… it was the only release I ever had. I was raped… bullied and abused. A trip to London left me both abandoned and stranded… I wanted to die so much that I threw myself off a building… yet I did not die, I was saved. I met the most extraordinary man not long after, found he was of nobility and that HE had saved me from death. I thought he was the biggest asshole I had ever met… but as I got to know him, I saw he had the most beautiful of souls” I closed my eyes and let a tear slide down my face “I grew to love him as he grew to love me”

  I opened my eyes and smiled at the old king, he smiled back at me as if he knew exactly what I meant.

“He told me that I was his mate, I was afraid at first… I wanted him to have better than a messed up mind screw like me. He was persistent I’ll give him that, but that was when I realised that he was mine too. I didn’t want to come here at all, I wanted to stay with him… it broke me apart inside that I actually had to leave him. Forgive me. When I was told that I was descended from royal blood, I freaked out… but that’s not bad for a girl who thought she was nothing” I released his hands and took a step back from. He looked at me with both bewilderment and charm, unsure of what  to say or even think about my little speech

“I guesse all I can say to you then child is this” he cleared his throat and began “I am Roman Romanovski, King of all dark beings in this realm. I am also your grandfather and boy was that a shock to the old ticker. I welcome you with open arms my child, for this is your home should you ever to choose to come back and visit once this… nuisance is solved. I implore that you and your mother stay for a while. I was a fool to ever let you go last time my dear… maybe then Daniel would not have been killed. I beg your forgiveness Aurora”

“It’s all in the past father” she replied to him tearfully, I spun around to face her

“Can we stay? I want to learn, I want to protect, Please!?”

“After that speech, I’m afraid I don’t have a choice do i?” she laughed

“I have a condition… well favour to ask should we stay” I told the king as I returned to staring at him

“Which is?”

“Can you introduce me to everyone?”

“Why of course child” he smiled “And might I say” he whispered in my ear “Its good to have her back, thank you. Welcome to the kingdom Victoria”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.5K 648 9
As a werewolf, loving your mate and being loved by them is a given. So what happens when your mate hates you? Maya - a carefree, loving and beautiful...
721K 17.1K 58
(Be warned!! Grammatical errors! Written when I was 13 years old just can't find myself to delete it. Hope you enjoy it anyway :) Claire Dawson is...
56K 1.9K 83
{A SAPPHIC VAMPIRE TALE- COMPLETE} 18+ (this story can be read as a stand-alone if you wish)❗️ This is heartbreak, this is betrayal. When Marine, a...
129 2 23
**Sequel to The Broken Wolf** Kayla's peaceful, solitary existence crumbles when a sudden attack thrusts her into a world of supernatural chaos. Vamp...