Beyond the Horizon [ ONGOING ]

By Celeb_Ajayii

Anjolaoluwa is a beautiful adolescent girl who at a vernal age experienced the loss of her parents. Sh... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
DEDICATION
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER FOUR
Hello 😊
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER THREE

351 109 105
By Celeb_Ajayii

Leaving the village was more emotional than I thought it to be, I had lived here all of my life, although I didn't have friends like every other teenagers do because I practically spend all of my time with mum but I do have memories here.

I will surely miss the banters of the kids, the full moon dance, the fights in the yard, the shrill sound of Mama chinosom's laughter and of course the brass voice of the land lady.

Putting the last important things I supposed I might need into my bag I took a glimpse around the house, I was finally moving, I was going to lagos.

It took every ounce of courage in me not to breakdown crying, I felt like hugging the house, it held too many profound memories for me.

For a split seconds I thought I heard mum singing one of her favourite songs, how I missed her! .

The walk to the park was a lengthy as the only park we had in my village was 30 minutes walk away.

I didn't realize I had gotten to the park, my mind was far away fantasizing the skyscrappers, cool streets, beautiful people and fascinating lights I envisaged seeing in lagos.

The park was bustling with activities and was annoyingly noisy also suffocating the air was stiff due to it being overcrowded, people were moving here and there either buying or selling, chatting or just being noisy typical of a park I guess.

I didn't realize I was tired from my little trek to the park until I sat down, I was thirsty thank God I took a bottle of water along, I hurriedly gulped down half the water, pulled the letter and saw my now memorized destination.

Block 5
Agogo Estate,
Shasha,
Egbeda,
Lagos state.

Following the description, I have to board a bus going to Lagos first then board another going to Egbeda and find my way from there. Quite easy.

I shyly asked a pregnant woman sitting by my side where I could get a bus going to Lagos. she looked at me puzzled probably wondering if I was absconding from home.

After seconds of ogling at me, she finally pointed to the left mumbling that it will take about fifteen more minutes for the bus to arrive. I timidly said thank you then moved in the direction she pointed.

Exactly fifteen minutes after,the bus drove carelessly into the park.
''Eko ! Eko!! Eko !!'', The fierce looking conductor called out with his baritone alcohol infested voice.

As if on cue, people started struggling to get a space on the bus, in the process someone shoved me aside, ''Won't they at least allow the bus stop'' I muttered quietly or so I thought.

''It's like this is your first time at a park no wonder, you had better be smart Eko lon lo yii'' said a man he probably heard me.

Scrambling to the now calm bus, I spotted an empty seat which I quickly moved to seat on but was shoved rather roughly away from it.

''Who be this small rat?, wetin you dey find for here?, shey you run commot for house Ni?, Abeg I no want make police stop me for road sey I kidnap you o'' the conductor blurted harshly.

I felt intimidated and was on the verge of tears ''I am going to meet my uncle in lagos'' I timidly said, adding that my mother just died.

'' Gbogbo eleyi o neccestri'' my subconscious mind said, I would have laughed at the joke but peeople were already noticing us and I was getting embarrassed, as if sensing my predicament, the driver irritably told the conductor to let me be.

Heaving a sigh of relief, I paid my fare and sat quickly scared that the driver might change his mind and ask the conductor to throw me out of the bus which would have been so easy to do as I was as light and frail as a feather.

As the bus pulled out of the park, I forthwith said a quick prayer for safety.

I looked out of the window and gave a last wave to my now past life. Itasha village.

My stomach gave a small growl and I remembered I did not take breakfast this morning due to my rush to the park i didn't want anybody to see me leaving especially Mama chinosom, but I had wrapped for myself a leaf of moi moi from the previous day and a small loaf of bread, I pulled it out and started munching on it .

The bus slowly became noisy, a preacher two seats behind me started giving an admonition he titled ''Believe'', a commuter claiming to be a mobile pharmacist also started advertising his drugs. I was torn between listening to them or reading a book I brought with me titled ''Danielle'' written by Adedayo Daniel, I finally settled for the book.

I buried my head in my book only tearing my eyes off when the conductor and a one handed man started making a scene. The conductor claimed the man had not paid his tee fare but the man kept claiming he has paid, the adamant conductor was hell bent on collecting his Money. They kept arguing and were on the verge of a very bloody fight when another commuter wanting to make peace volunteered to pay the fare.

Relieved that we had successfully evaded a gruesome fight, everyone settled down,I returned back to reading the book it was getting quite interesting.

The ride continued with utmost silence even the preacher and mobile pharmacist stopped their speech.

The ride continued for about two hours,i was long done with the book as I was a fast reader and I was getting bored again.

The bus finally stopped at ORE. I was wondering why we stopped when the conductor announced that the bus needed to be fueled and we also require stretching our legs and refueling our stomach as we still had a long way to go.

Getting down from the bus rather curious to see how everywhere looked, I was engulfed in the crowd of people moving around,the calls of hawkers advertising their goods, the sound of blaring music coming from a nearby clubhouse and finally the aroma of mouth watering delicacies, I immediately spotted a puff puff seller and was temptingly called by the golden balls of sweetness, I salivated and moved towards it, bought a hundred naira worth of it along with a bottle of fanta perfect combo. I also bought two satchet of water in case I got thirsty again.

Back on the bus, I started munching on my goodies stepping it down with the fanta I got. I was on the third ball when I felt glances on me, I looked in the direction and my sight fell on an hungry looking girl of about my age, I beckoned on her to share my puff puff which she hurriedly agreed to, I guess she was really famished.

She ate hungrily and I couldn't help but pity her so I gave up the remaining puff puff to her.

Commuters started filling into the bus and my new found friend scampered to her seat probably not wanting people to see us together. I face palmed myself I didn't even ask for her name.

I had looked forward to seeing things of interest on my way to lagos, but I was disappointed on getting to the outskirt of lagos to see tattered looking surroundings filled with dirt, stuffy environments, mean looking faces and an even worst scene of people struggling to get on a bus some were even going in through the window. I even saw a pretty Lady dashing after a MOLUE and jumping on it as tho she was a man. How amusing!.

The sound of the conductor jostled me from my reverie, ''Gbo Gbo ero! Last bus stop!!,lagos at last!!!'.

Everybody including me got down from the bus. I was once again caught up in the crowd I guess If anybody carried me and put in a sack nobody would have noticed.

I pushed against the crowd and successfully made it to a less crowded area.

I sat down to catch my breath and regain a little strength I was tired and huffing from my struggle in the crowd.

I once again asked from a petty trader where I could get a bus going to Egbeda which she pointed to. Getting the bus was easy and before 7:00pm we were at Egbeda.

I spotted some okada riders and approached a friendly looking one ''Good evening sir,please I am going to shasha, Agogo Estate precisely'' I said.

For a split seconds, I thought he didn't understand me, I was almost moving away from him when he said '' koi shey I get change, the place far small o, so I go collect six hundred naira'' I gree abi I no gree he said. *

Understanding just a little of what he said, I heaved a sigh of relief.

" let's go" I huffed.

I climbed on the bike and it zoomed off.

The ride took like forever, the breeze was making me feel sleepy but I couldn't dare sleep on a bike. He finally came to a stop in front of a wide entrance 'Welcome to Agogo Estate' boldly written on it.

He collected his pay and told me I would have to walk the rest of the way as bikes are not allowed in the estate.

Eko lon lo yii: it is Lagos you are going to.

Eko: a Yoruba name for Lagos.

Gbogbo eleyi o neccestri: a Yoruba slang meaning all of this isn't necessary.

Itasha: a town I thought of.

Ore: also a popular town.

Puff puff: a sweet tasting snack made from flour usually round in shape.

Gbo Gbo ero: a slang conductor use to tell commuters they have gotten to their destinations.

*Do you have change, the place is a little far so I'll collect six hundred naira, do you agree to that.

Koi: an Hausa word.

Nb: Daniella is a Wattpad novel written by Daniel_lexy ,you should check it out, I promise it's a banger.

Hey everyone what do you think of the book so far?.

Please drop your thought in the comment section.

💝
Celeb

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 25.3K 37
A Nigerian Teen-Fiction. Zaria Coker had every reason to be called perfect; Straight As, awesome friends, and a face that can make anyone bend to her...
74.3K 16.1K 31
Tiana Dakoba isn't who everyone thought she was. To everyone, the mere sight of her oozed confidence and pride. She was the "It" girl. But no one kne...
1.3K 315 23
Problems of a teenage girl become far worse than zits or a perfect appearance when she experiences a tragic event at a very young age, which scars he...
1.4K 111 43
" I am god, not a magician. You are right in both ways if you think i exist or not because i am all hope and faith." She heard it and couldn't stand...