What We Do [Ushijima Wakatosh...

By wakawhat

In which Ushijima Wakatoshi falls in love with Kazuko Harumi, the Ace of Shiratorizawa's Girl's Basketball Te... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Defiance
Chapter 2: Meeting
Chapter 3: Friends
Chapter 4: The Next Day
Chapter 5: Mornings
Chapter 6: Lost
Chapter 7: Teammates
Chapter 8: Jealous
Chapter 9: (Him) Watching
Chapter 10: Closer
Chapter 11: Unnecessary
Chapter 12: Comfort
Chapter 13: Back
Chapter 15: Teaching Him
Chapter 16: (Her) Watching
Chapter 17: Banana Milk
Chapter 18: Running

Chapter 14: Invitation

1.9K 111 23
By wakawhat

After cooling down with the girls, I decided that I should pay a visit to the volleyball players next door. 

I wanted to thank Wakatoshi for being there for me when I had my little breakdown. We really didn't have the time to chat because we were about to be late for practice. 

This could also be my chance to finally see the "Great Ace of Shiratorizawa Academy's Men's Volleyball club" in action. 

Ever since I was acquainted with Wakatoshi, I've heard countless rumors from my teammates. And all I could say is, damn. To think that his talent and skill was already recognized during middle school was amazing enough. 

I was amazed at how the man I constantly bicker with is the number one ace of the Miyagi prefecture and, what's more, he's also one of the top aces in the country. 

Upon hearing the title Wakatoshi earned, I was motivated even more to do better and work even harder.

I can't fall behind! I thought to myself, getting excited as I hurried to the gym entrance. 

However, things didn't go as planned because when I was by the door, I was met with a ball hitting my face.
"Gah!," I exclaimed as I jumped back in surprise, trying to hold back my tears. When I looked up I saw a copper-haired guy frowning down at me from the stairs. "Who are you?" he glowered. 

Embarrassed, I bowed my head not knowing what else to say at a time like this. 

"I'm sorry! I didn't want to bother your training, I was just looking for Wakatoshi," I blurted, trying my best to hide my reddening face.
"Huh, what the hell do you want with Ushijima-san?" Looking up, I saw the unknown man was giving me a menacing glare.

Startled, I start walking backward, trying to escape the situation. "I can just come back next time...," I stammered.

"Shirabu," a low voice boomed behind the copper-colored haired man in front of me. "Ushijima-san!," the guy named Shirabu instantly reddened as he faced the man I was looking for. 

Wakatoshi's eye locked with mine and I could notice how his eyes slightly widened as well, probably because of my teary eyes and red face.
He looks at the Shirabu person with a slight frown and nodded "Go inside and practice more on your sets." 

The man nods and proceeds inside the gymnasium.

When the Shirabu guy was gone, Wakatoshi walks towards me and looks at me with questioning eyes.

"I just wanted to speak with you before I take my leave," I said scratching my head and looking down to the ground slightly embarrassed. 

"Are you okay?" I look up and see there was a light frown on Wakatoshi's face. 

I straighten myself up and blew out my cheeks. "I'm fine, I'm fine. When I peeped inside the gymnasium, a ball went flying to my face," I admitted, rubbing the sore spot on my face. 

He nods and goes inside the gym, leaving me behind and, frankly, dumbfounded. Eh? Taken aback, I was about to leave the area when I heard Wakatoshi return once more.

"Here," He says while handing me his water bottle. I look at him questioningly, wondering what I'll do with his bottle. 

"It's cold. You can apply it on your head to lessen the pain," I smiled at the gesture but I shake my head. 

"Don't you still have training? You might need it," I said while peering inside the gym. 

"We're about to cool down. Training is over," He said as he continued handing me the water bottle. "Alright, fair enough," I said.

He nods approvingly at me as I take the bottle from his hand and place the cold bottle on the sore spot. 

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the reason why I came here looking for him. 

"I wanted to thank you for being there for me. What happened... I really needed it," I smiled, looking up at the olive-haired man. 

Unexpectedly, the usual stoic expression of Wakatoshi broke into a light smile. 

"Come to me anytime, Harumi. I'm here when you need me," upon hearing what Wakatoshi said, for some reason, a heavy feeling was weighing down on me and I couldn't help but blush and look away. 

"Ah jeez Wakatoshi, you're too honest," I said trying my best to calm my rapid heart.

"Thanks," He smiled, and surprisingly, begins to affectionately pat my head.

"Yo, Wakatoshi! Let's cool down together," an excited Tendo-kun came running towards our direction. 

When he locked eyes with mine his excited stare turned into a mischievous one, making me flinch. "Hello, Tendo-kun," I waved at the man. 

Tendi-kun then chuckled and bounced over to me, "Well if it isn't Haru-chan! Are you both having a secret little rendezvous? Oh, how scandalous!?" Tendi-kun suddenly turns around and 'cries.' 

I laugh at his silly attitude and peer at the man beside me. Wakatoshi is now back to his usual stoic self. He sighs and grabs Tendo-kun by his collar dragging him inside the gym. 

"Ah hold on," the two men look back at me as I walk towards them and hand over Wakatoshi's water bottle. "Thank you, I think I'll be fine now," I said, smiling at him.  Wakatoshi takes his bottle and turns towards the gym. I watch him walk away from me but he stopped when he was by the door and looks back at me. 

"Can you wait for me a bit? I want to take you home," He then turns back to the gym entrance, leaving no room for arguments.

"Ah how bold of you, Wakatoshi!" Tendo-kun howled as he was dragged inside the gym, the two disappearing in front of me. 

I chuckle at how forward Wakatoshi can be, I guess I have no choice.

As I wait for Wakatoshi, I took a seat on one of the benches outside the gym, enjoying the cool breeze of the night as I close my eyes. 

"Oh Haru-chan, why are you still here?" a familiar voice questioned. I look up and my eyes widened in surprise, "Ryota-san," I smiled at the blonde man.

Ryota-san is one of the members of Shiratorizawa's Men's basketball club. He is one of the people I'm close to within their club since he acts like a silly older brother whenever I come to visit their training. 

He worryingly looks down at me as he checks his phone. "Didn't your training finish 10 minutes ago?" 

"Don't worry about me, Ryota-san. I should be the one asking you that since you finished earlier than me. It was an hour ago right?" I smiled innocently at the man in front of me as he flinches and awkwardly chuckles. 

"Well there's nothing to worry about since I live in the dorms," he laughs back at me trying to win. 

"Then why are you here?" I defiantly answered back. 

Ryota-san suddenly stops laughing and looks at me seriously, making me nervous. "I came here to check on you, Haru-chan," He said, making me question his actions. 

"That brat, Aomine-kun, usually walks you home right? Come I'll walk you home," Ryota-san says as he picks up my things and begins walking. 

Ah, even Ryota-san is worried about me and Aomine-kun. I shouldn't bother him over this. "Ryota-san it's alright. You don't have to be worried about me," I said trying to grab my things from him.

"It's fine, I'll bring you home, you're-" 

"Is this guy bothering you, Harumi?" A low yet menacing voice cuts over Ryota-san and I look up to see a very intimidating Wakatoshi in front of us.

Ryota-san visibly pales and looks between me and Wakatoshi. "Ah, I didn't know you had a boyfriend, Haru-chan," the blonde man trembles as he returns my bag. "Please take care of her!" He said looking at the taller man. 

"He's not my-" I was cut off when Ryota-san suddenly runs off, leaving me and Wakatoshi behind. I have to explain myself to Ryota-san the next time we meet. 

I sigh and look up at the man in front of me. Wakatoshi was looking at the direction Ryota-san ran off too, he was still emitting a rather menacing aura. 

I chuckle and walked towards Wakatoshi, bumping him with my shoulders, "You really scared him you know?" He looks down at me and his menacing aura disappears but it was replaced with a frown on his face. "Was he bothering you, Harumi?" 

"Ah no, don't worry, he's just a friend of mine," I said waving a hand at him, hoping Wakatoshi doesn't threaten Ryota-san if he bumps into him again. 

Wakatoshi nods in reply and begins walking towards the gates, with me following behind. 

"I was even scared of that Shirabu guy when he appeared," I said laughing as I remembered what happened earlier.

"He's one of the setters in the team," Wakatoshi said as we continued walking in my neighborhood.

"Setter?" I asked, looking at the olive-haired man beside me.

"They decide who should get the ball and when," He answered, glancing at me. So being the setter sets the pace of the game. That's very similar with-

"Like a point guard!" I exclaimed, suddenly stopping and looking at Wakatoshi with excitement.

"Point guard? That's your position in basketball right?" He asks.

"Yep! The point guard or number two sets the offensive play of the team," I grinned at the tall man.

Evenings like this are the best. After a tiring day at school, having a light and refreshing conversation with Wakatoshi is something I really needed.

Wakatoshi lightly smiles down at me but he suddenly stops walking and looks at the basketball court in front of us.

"Is something wrong, Wakatoshi?" I asked, looking at him worried if something was bothering him. 

"I have a practice match tomorrow," He said as he continued looking at the court. 

"Oh, I'm sure you will do well. Goodluck, Wakatoshi!" I was excited for him since he gets to go against someone other than his teammates. I wish our team will be participating in practice matches too. I'm itching for more intense games with the team.

He nods in reply and we both then continued walking. As we reached the door to my house, I turned to bid my goodbyes at the olive-haired man.

"Thanks for bringing me home Wakatoshi," I said looking up at him. 

Wakatoshi nods in response but as soon as I turned to open the door he suddenly tugs my hand, making me turn back to the tall male and looked at him questioningly. 

"The practice match is after training, I was hoping you can watch me play volleyball," He said rather quietly, making me smile up at him. 

"Oh, I get to finally see the 'Great Ace of Shiratorizawa' in action I see," I voiced as I placed my hands on my chin and closed my eyes, making it seem I was in deep thought. 

I heard a low chuckle and when I opened my eyes, Wakatoshi was smiling down at me as well, trying to hold back his laughter. Seeing how carefree Wakatoshi was made me feel something heavy on my chest as I continued looking at the olive-haired man in front of me.

I took a deep breath and looked away, as I tried calming myself down once again. 

"Alright, It's late. You better go back now since you have a game tomorrow," I said as I tried pushing the man outside but he wouldn't budge.

"Practice match," He corrects me as he began walking towards the gates.

"Yeah yeah, practice match. Don't forget to lock the gate on your way out," I grumbled out.

When he was already outside the gates, he turns back to me and waves goodbye before walking back to campus.

Tomorrow may seem exciting, I smiled to myself as I stared at his retreating figure before heading inside the house.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

960K 38K 47
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
320K 9.5K 84
Theresa Murphy, singer-songwriter and rising film star, best friends with Conan Gray and Olivia Rodrigo. Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver for Ferrar...
174K 7.1K 51
𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 noura denoire is the first female f1 driver in 𝗗𝗘𝗖𝗔𝗗𝗘𝗦 OR 𝗜𝗡 𝗪𝗛𝗜𝗖𝗛 noura denoire and charle...
752K 35.4K 58
Taehyung is appointed as a personal slave of Jungkook the true blood alpha prince of blue moon kingdom. Taehyung is an omega and the former prince...