A DRAGON'S JEWEL: the Ancient...

By MichelleMalan

Alythia wakes up in a strange new world which she believes she has read about somewhere and some time ago. Ma... More

Author's Note:
Chapter 2: Strange New World
Chapter 3: A trip down memory lane
Chapter 4: An interesting turn of events
Chapter 5: Fateful meeting
Chapter 6: New Home
Chapter 7: a Girl's folly and a Dragon's fun
Chapter 8: Seeking Truth
Chapter 9: Uncovering Secrets
Chapter 10: Birthday Bash
Chapter 11: Confessions
Chapter 12: The Troublesome Prince
Chapter 13: Meeting the original Heroine
Chapter 14: Avoiding a Hurricane
Chapter 15: Enemy in their midst
Chapter 16: The Prince and the Pauper
Chapter 17: Forgotten Memories
Chapter 18: A Blond Boy's Heart (part 1)
Chapter 19: A Blond Boy's Heart (part 2)
Chapter 20: The Winter Ball
Chapter 21: Inquiring about the Dark Arts
Chapter 22: Finding the Wolf
Chapter 23: Taming the Beast
Chapter 24: The blue-eyed boy's sacrifice
Chapter 25: Epilogue

Chapter 1: Myth of a Country's Origin

4.9K 119 27
By MichelleMalan

There once was a powerful Mage who was capable of altering reality. Everything he wished materialized; everything he uttered came to be.

Eventually the Mage settled down on top of a steep hill.

There he found a country and named it Elysium.

As residents began to move in he offered to provide material for them with which they could build houses.

The Mage, wise as he was, advised them to build stone houses; however, the people were lazy and did not want to go through the trouble of chiselling and carrying stones so they requested wood instead.

The Mage agreed and soon the entire town's buildings were made of wood and all their roofs were made of hay.

Now the Mage had a son named Izana. 

He was a kind-hearted boy with white hair and black eyes who frequently ventured out of his Father's tower to explore the city streets.

One day he found an orphan girl with bright blue eyes, named Nyfia, and befriended her.

During mid-winter the following year Nyfia went to sit on a street corner while waiting for Izana to arrive. 

She was not cold since he had already given her one of his white cloaks to wear before winter had begun.

However, Nyfia was hungry because she had not yet eaten that day.

She could've chosen to wait until Izana arrived, since he had never failed in bringing her a basket filled to the brim with food to eat. 

Yet on this particular night Nyfia was growing impatient far too quickly and thus refused to submit to reason.

She glanced around and saw a cart filled with delicious fruit standing a few yards away and determined in her heart to steal some.

As she reached out and grabbed a handful of berries the owner of the cart spotted her. 

"THIEF!!" he yelled but she was able to escape his grasp and dashed off into the night, her white cloak blowing in the wind as she ran her little heart out.

While rounding another street corner Nyfia bumped into an older lady carrying a torch. As the two collided the lady's source of light fell to the ground but Nyfia was too frightened to stop so she kept on running.

Eventually she reached the forest on the outskirts of town.

When she glanced back she realized that a third of the town had already gone up in flames.

Nyfia sank down to the ground and started sobbing, completely horrified at what she had done.

Meanwhile Izana, who was searching for her amidst all the chaos, heard a weeping sound coming from the forest.

As he drew near he saw her shivering body and wrapped his arms around her – holding her close. In between sobs she managed to recount to him all that had taken place.

By now, although the flames had died out, the roaring screams of a vast multitude could clearly be heard as they cried out for justice.

After a few moments had passed Izana stood up and removed the cloak Nyfia was wearing. 

He wrapped it around his own shoulders and walked back into town.

The girl was too shocked to chase after him so she could only blankly stare as his figure vanished from her sight.

She could hear the mob's furious rage escalate as they saw Izana exiting the forest.

They grabbed and bound him, assuming that he had been responsible for starting the fire.

Izana did not protest.

Although some knew whose son he was they were too filled with grief to care.

The people dragged him to the Town Square and struck him down as a means of retribution for those whose lives the fire had so mercilessly devoured.

They left his body in the open air and each went his own way.

However, after a few hours had passed, some of the citizens grew remorseful over what they had done. 

They rushed back to the Town Square hoping to at least provide a proper burial for the boy, yet when they arrived they could not find his body anywhere.

Their hearts were gripped with fear believing that their sins had already been exposed. They thought that perhaps the Mage had somehow found out and was now busy plotting his revenge.

Meanwhile Nyfia, who finally moved past her state of shock, sprung up and ran to the Mage's tower – praying against all odds that he might  somehow be able to save her friend.

However, when she reached the door she realized that it was locked. 

She banged on it for several minutes but no one came out.

As she stepped away something caught her eye. 

It was a bright blue jewel engraved in the chest of a terrifying beast that was covered in scales.

The beast was sitting on the very top of the tower staring down at her.

The moment she met its black eyes they seemed to soften into a gentle gaze.

Nyfia wanted to cry out to it but as soon as she opened her mouth the beast spread its wings and flew off into the night.

Many people who were still searching for the missing boy's body saw the beast as it swept through town and flew into the forest.

Thereafter a rumour spread that the Magician had raised his son's soul from the dead and hid it inside the body of a dragon.

Neither the Mage nor Izana were ever seen again.

Yet some people believe that the Ancient Mage's spirit still moves among the streets of every town and city built thereafter. 

They say his spirit goes to rest in the hearts of certain children and imparts special abilities to them. 

A small red 'X' will appeared on the child's right palm to confirm this.

These children – who were thought to have been gifted with a part of the Mage's own magic – were dubbed 'Elites' and given the responsibility of protecting the cities and towns around them.

It is believed that to this day the Mage himself still sends his spirit as a light to guide each and every Elite in finding their way back to him. 

Apparently their hearts are in continuous turmoil – consumed by a longing to reunite with the Giver and are unable to find peace and rest apart from him.

Well... at least that's how the myth goes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92 0 11
The stories of three boys reincarnate into another world, where swords and magic dominate the world.
7.8K 808 22
Valentina was just having a normal day that would certainly be forgotten amongst all the others on her everyday life. Until she opens a door that sho...
20 0 8
Waking up in a strange new world, two brothers meet, and one of them has no memory. Traveling throughout the new world, they go on a happy adventure...
13.1K 546 30
Haru, whose life is marked by misfortunes and disappointed hopes, is struck by an unexpected twist of fate. Just when he believed all hope was lost...