Naivete

By Aphrodizziac

"Baby girl, don't provoke me!" he growled lowly. His body was dangerously close to mine. "Why not?" I counter... More

Author's Note
Prologue
2. Lascivious
3. Igneous

1. Ecstacy

1.8K 48 31
By Aphrodizziac

"For every ill turn of fortune,

There is a blessing in those bends and curves."

...

"What?" I finally questioned my ever-glaring friend, who wouldn't stop shooting me daggers with her eyes, throughout the entire journey from school to home. Her mouth was pursed in a small line of disapproval and I could've guessed why.

"I can't believe you chose to work today. I mean common, it's your birthday!" Mia huffed, plopping down on the old moth-eaten sofa.

I gave her a flat look, not knowing what else to do. As if I was having a choice.

Mia and the others had protested, earlier during class, when I affirmed my decision to work. Taking a leave might cost me my job, and I couldn't let that happen. Throughout my eighteen years of existence, I've done numerous jobs to survive. I just couldn't risk one of my source of living for a party. Life isn't all rainbows and cupcakes when you got a coke-addled abuser, for a mum. I still have the vivid memory of me, a five-year toddler, asking for a soft toy from her.

"Don't be a whiny lil bitch! Shut your shit face up or imma do it!"

"So, you can't spend the evening with us. Right?" Mia's question whammed me back to reality.

Sitting beside her, I nodded, looking down at the run-down floor. "I'm sorry but I really can't come. Although, I wish I could."

Leaning her head back, letting it rest, she let out a deep sigh.

"Hey! Don't be so sad. It's okay. Birthdays come and go. We'll celebrate it next year," I said, soothing her arm. Warning: shouldn't have said that.

Turning herself to face me, she imparted me her signature 'Are-you-shitting-me?' look. Drilling her cat-like index finger into my arm, she grumbled, "You said that last year. The year before last year. The year before that. And-"

"Oww, oww, owww, okay I know I'm a jerk, but you know Maria. She'll chuck me out the moment she finds an excuse to do so," I tried to reason with her. Maria, my employer, never had a liking for me, and I very well knew why. My mum. In fact, nobody in the town liked me because of her, with the obvious exceptions of my friends. Mum's frequently coming in and out of prison, her dabbling in drugs, being in unscrupulous relationships with married men and family members; the list was long. Her deeds were beyond heinous and had accounted for a lot of hatred towards me from everyone. She had ruined a number of families including our own and even after all this she never showed any bit of remorse. My own redemption for everything she had done wouldn't change a thing. Somewhere, I knew that this town would forever loathe me for something I had no control over.

Maria had hired me knowing that she could make me overwork; since she was very well aware that I didn't have any other places to go to. I mean, who would hire an unqualified girl for a respectable job, anyways?

"Can't she let you enjoy, just for one night?" Mia questioned, pouting her lips.

"I don't think so," I said, shrugging my shoulders. "She had already taken all my tips this month stating that I'm careless and I don't know how to work. Do you think if I take a leave today, she'll even bother to pay me a penny this month?"

"Ugh! That bitch. Why do you even work for her?"

I gave her a sad smile. Both Mia and I knew why I worked there. Although, Maria was a harsh woman, she had morals. All my past jobs consisted of men who would constantly try to abuse me physically as well as mentally. At least, Maria wouldn't do so or let anyone else in her café do that to me.

Mia had a deep scowl etched across her face. She was probably pondering over the situation. A few moments passed in complete silence until she finally spoke again, "Umm, I don't think there's anything we could do about this, then."

I decided it would be better to glare at the floor. What was I supposed to say?

"I better be going," Mia voiced, letting out a tired sigh, "Gotta stop Rome and Kace from booking the strippers for you," she added with a chuckle.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled still staring sadly at the floor. Disappointing everyone has become habitual by now.

"Ah, it's okay. And, happy birthday again, girlie," came her reply as she engulfed me in a bear hug.

***

Plopping down on the creaky bed, I let out a tired groan. It was almost eleven.

Woohoo! Congrats on surviving eighteen years and almost one day on this planet.

My snarky mind reminded.

Today was a hectic day. Mum, still, hadn't returned from her supposedly new job and, it's been over a week. Although it hurts knowing that your own mother couldn't make it for your birthday. Nonetheless, her staying home wouldn't make it any better. So, I was kind of glad at her absence.

Counting the glowing radium stars on my ceiling, which I had installed when I was seven, I was slowly drifting off to sleep, when a faint thud scared the bejesus out of me. Sitting upright, my hands searched for the lights. It took some good amount of time for my vision to adjust to the blinding lights and the sight before me. Blinking quite a few times, to ensure that I was seeing it right, I incredulously stare at the window. There standing, beyond the window, was my friend, Mia. She was waving wildly at me all the while grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"What on earth were you thinking?" I inquired, opening the window sill.

"Aww, did I scare you, looney?" Mia retorted playfully.

"Nah, why will it scare me? After all, one surely expects their friend to knock on their window at midnight," I snapped as she entered my room.

"It's only eleven thirty, grandma. And, it was fun seeing your face," she countered imitating my horror-struck countenance. I rolled my eyes at her.

"Common gal, let's get you ready," Mia happily announced, clapping her hands together.

"Huh? For what?" I asked, genuinely curious about her intentions of barging in on me at this time of the night.

"For the party, duh!" she said in a matter-of-factly tone. "We're not giving up this time. After all, it's your eighteenth birthday, ma lady. Kace and Rome are waiting in the car," Mia informed while skimming through my drawer.

They did not give up? They had come all the way up here to make my day memorable? They were doing all this for me?

I was too overwhelmed to say anything.

"Here, wear it and come to the front door. We'll be waiting. Be quick."

Handing me the dress, she had bought for me on one of my birthday; Mia left the room doing a small jig.

All of this happened so fast that it rendered me with no choice, other than to follow their lead. Perhaps a little fun won't harm anyone. And, seeing my friends being so considerate, one just couldn't say no.

***

Hopping into the car, I see Rome shooting me a wide grin.

"Aren't you guys the cutest?" I said, hardly pulling Rome's cheeks, who was in the passenger seat beside Kace.

"Oww! Just because it's your birthday, don't think you're immune or something," Rome replied, massaging his cheeks. I flashed him a cheeky smile.

"So, where are we going?" I asked as Kace spurred the engine to life.

"To a place," the bastard that Kace is, replied in his usual sarcastic tone while the others smiled.

"No shit, Sherlock". Rolling my eyes, I inquired again, "So, was this place fortunate enough to get a name?"

"The name's Fluxx," Rome answered, bopping his head to 'The box'.

"Fluxx as in the nightclub?!" I asked, baffled by this piece of information.

"No, as in the card game," Kace sassed.

"No. No. We aren't going there." I was clearly agitated. Nightclub meant drinking. I couldn't. I didn't want to drink.

"Well, for someone who sitting on the back, that's quite bold of a statement," Kace mocked.

"Loony, why are you freaking out?" Mia asked with apparent concern.

Oh, how do I say to this her?

None of them knew about the heinous deeds I committed under the influence of alcohol. And, I wanted to keep it that way. I didn't want to blurt it out to them or worse, end up in another stranger's bed.

"We can go somewhere else. Anywhere. Just not a nightclub," I tried to convince my stubborn pals. When Mia said party, I thought she meant some 'pizza and coke' party. Who on earth would have imagined she meant this by party?

"Oh c'mon, Lu!" Rome groaned, " Do you have some creepy ex waiting for you out there?"

Oh, how I wish that could've been the case?

Normally, I can get away, giving all those 'I-need-to-be-sober-at-work' bullshit. But, not tonight.

What am I going to say to them? How do I tell them that I don't want to get drunk and not get them all suspicious towards me?

"Umm, I hate liquor. They are just rotten fruits and vegetables." Came the most stupid-est lie one could ever come up with.

To this, the entire car burst into a fit of laughter. "Seriously Lu? We're going there to have some fun," Mia assured. "We wouldn't have got you drunk unless...," she tried to insinuate.

"NO. Okay, I'll come. But, let me be clear. I don't want to drink and should not be urged to by any of you. Promise?" I asked as a reassurance.

"Pinkie promise," Kace cried in a high pitched feminine voice as he drove us to the Fluxx.

***

It was barely an hour and my feet were tottering from all that dancing. Finding none of my friends on the dance floor, I looked around for them. There, in one of the sofas, I found Mia in a full-blown make-out session with Rome while Kace, umm, well he might have been somewhere. That guy's got a BIG rep to keep.

Feeling parched, I headed towards one of the bars in the far corner.

"Can I get a Cranberry Mint Mocktail, please?" I requested. Flashing me a sexy smile, the bartender handed me a glass with the sparkling liquid.

Taking a sip of the cool drink, I couldn't help but smack my lips in delight! That was unlike anything I ever had.

Sweet and smooth. Oooh!

So before I knew it, there I was, emptying the contents of my second glass. However, the mocktail started rendering a strange effect on me. I was feeling a bit tipsy without even consuming alcohol.

Strange.

Nonetheless, it all felt so good that it did not occur to me as to why I felt this sudden strangeness.

"Hey, beautiful. What's your name?" I heard a low grunt coming from my side.

Turning, I encounter an old man, dressed in an expensive blue suit, to be the source of my interruption. His lips were hovering over my ears. My body didn't feel at all comfortable, being at such close proximity to the man. This didn't strike right. Instantaneously, his left hand landed on my thigh making me squirm.

Okay, I must go before things get out of hand. Quite literally in this case.

However, the thought of leaving was put to an abrupt uncertainty when I realised that I was unable to move a single muscle of my body.

Now, that is DEFINITELY strange.

Taking advantage of my situation, he kept sliding his hands further upwards. Panic started clawing its way to my heart.

No. No. No. Help. Somebody help. Please!

My mind kept on screaming. If only the words could reach my lips...

It seemed like my mind had lost complete control over my body. It was numb to all my commands.

What is happening to me?!

"Don't you like this?" I heard his venomous voice infiltrate my ears as he gave my flesh a rough squeeze. His hand was, now, dangerously close to my delicate area.

Bitter memories from the past started flashing across my eyes, blurring my vision.

"How much do you want for her, Linda? 50? 100?"

NO! NO! You can't let this happen. THIS MUST STOP!

My mind hurled those words at me.

Hence with all the residual strength in my body, I pushed him hard; praying from my goddamned life to be spared from the hands of this predator! However, the push caused me, instead, to lose my grip and fall off the stool. A few people turned to look but they didn't seem bothered by all this.

What devil resides this place!

I meekly looked up to see the man standing in front of me. The lines in his face were marked with indomitable rage. Yanking me up by the arm, he pulled me closer to his livid face. I yelped in pain.

Oh lord! Save me.

"¡Qué mierda! Keep your fucking hands off the girl, cabrón!" I heard someone's deep growl before the man was jerked away from me. (What the fuck; asshole)

This sudden movement caused me to lose my balance and let my posterior meet the floor again.

Ouch!

Although, the fall was quickly followed by two strong arms sweeping me off my feet. Feebly looking up, my warm brown eyes connected with a set of concerned hazel ones. It was incredibly difficult to discern his features since black spots began blocking my vision. And before I knew it, everything around me went completely black.

♤♤♤

It was so long and big!

I was talking 'bout the chapter, y'all.

Fun is about to begin. Swipe to the next chapter my lil toadkins.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...