Partners in Crime; A Jay Hals...

By Writer_Reader05

Y/n L/n used to be a Homicide Detective, but now, she has been transferred to the Intelligence Unit of the 21... More

Season 1; Stepping Stone
Wrong Side of the Bars
Chin Check
Now Is Always Temporary
Thirty Balloons
Conventions
The Price We Pay
Different Mistakes
A Material Witness
At Least It's Justice
Turn the Light Off
8:30 PM
My Way
The Docks
A Beautiful Friendship
Season 2; Call It Macaroni
Get My Cigarettes
The Weigh Station
Chicken, Dynamite, Chainsaw
An Honest Woman
Prison Ball
They'll Have to Go Through Me
Assignment of the Year
Called in Dead
Shouldn't Have Been Alone
We Don't Work Together Anymore
Disco Bob
A Little Devil Complex
Erin's Mom
What Do You Do
What Puts You on That Ledge
Say Her Real Name
Get Back to Even
The Three Gs
The Number of Rats
There's My Girl
Born Into Bad News
Season 3; Life Is Fluid
Natural Born Storyteller
Actual Physical Violence
Debts of the Past
Climbing Into Bed
You Never Know Who's Who
A Dead Kid, a Notebook and a Lot of Maybes
Forget My Name
Never Forget I Love You
Now I'm God
Knocked the Family Right Out
Looking Out for Stateville
Hit Me
The Song of Gregory William Yates
A Night Owl
The Cases That Need to Be Solved
Forty-Caliber Bread Crumb
Kasual with a K
If We Were Normal
In A Duffel Bag
Justice
She's Got Us
Start Digging
Season 4; The Silos
Made a Wrong Turn
All Cylinders Firing
Big Friends, Big Enemies
A War Zone
Some Friend
300,000 Likes
A Shot Heard Around the World
Don't Bury This Case
Don't Read the News
You Wish
Sanctuary
I Remember Her Now
Seven Indictments
Favor, Affection, Malice or Ill-Will
Emotional Proximity
Remember the Devil
Little Bit of Light
Last Minute Resistance
Grasping for Salvation
Fagin
Army of One
Fork in the Road
Season 5; Reform
The Thing About Heroes
Promise
Snitch
Home
Fallen
Care Under Fire
Politics
Monster
Rabbit Hole
Confidential
Captive
Chasing Monsters
Anthem
Sisterhood
Profiles
Breaking Point
Ghosts
Payback
Saved
Allegiance
Homecoming
Season 6; New Normal
Endings
Bad Boys
Ride Along
Fathers and Sons
True or False
Trigger
Black and Blue
Descent
Brotherhood
Trust
Outrage
Night in Chicago
Ties That Bind
Good Men
The Forgotten
Pain Killer
This City
What Could Have Been
Sacrifice
Confession
Reckoning
Season 7; Doubt
Assets
Familia
Infection
Brother's Keeper
False Positive
Informant
No Regrets
Absolution
Mercy
43rd and Normal
The Devil You Know
I Was Here
Center Mass
Burden of Truth
Intimate Violence
Before the Fall
Lines
Buried Secrets
Silence of the Night
Season 8; Fighting Ghosts
White Knuckle
Tender Age
Unforgiven
In Your Care
Equal Justice
Instinct
Protect and Serve
Impossible Dream
The Wedding
The Radical Truth
Signs of Violence
Due Process
Trouble Dolls
Safe
The Right Thing
The Other Side
Season 9; Closure
Rage
The One Next to Me
In the Dark
Burnside
End of Watch
Trust Me
Fractures
A Way Out
Home Safe
Lies

Push the Pain Away

3.2K 66 2
By Writer_Reader05

Yn's POV

"At 8:23 AM, four shooters entered the Lakeshore Sport and Fitness and started killing. We have four confirmed dead males and one female vic in surgery at Chicago Med" Antonio said. "Now we have one shooter in custody. He remains unidentified. Three other shooters are at large" Al said. "The FBI is looking for a terrorist link. Intelligence will be coordinating the ground game. The Fusion Unit's tapping area cameras. Air One is scanning rooftops. "CTA is stopping all trains out of State and Lake and all buses are being rerouted" Antonio said.

"Now, they burned their suits and masks, so we don't know what they look like right now" Al said. "Patrolman spotted four guys wearing all black park a car two blocks east. Ran the plates, car came back hot. Inside were 400 rounds of M855s, armor piercing" Jay said. "All right, I'll redirect Patrol and set up a grid search. Move fast, move smart. Let's find these guys and keep those ambos empty" Antonio said.

"Hey, um, do you have an extra shirt in your car? I didn't get a chance to run home" Erin said to me. "I have one back at the district that you can borrow" I say. "Great. Thanks Yn" Erin said. Then I turned to Kim who was on my other side. Her and Kevin were switching places for a while for some reason unknown to me. "Welcome to Intelligence Kim" I say and pat her shoulder.

.........................................

"What do you got" Voight asked Adam, Mouse, and I as he walked into the bullpen with Commander Fischer. "Well, we ran the unknown offender's prints through NCIC. He's not in the system. We thought these guys were Army, but I struck out there, too" I say. "Is he on a watch list? You know, Homeland Security? FBI" Fischer asked. "No, but something weirder popped. See, his prints matched a set lifted from a homicide two days ago in Paoli, Indiana" Mouse said. "The victim's name was Richard Davis. He worked for Lancaster Chemical as an engineer. He was shot point blank. I've got a call in to the lead detective" Adam said.

"Then today's shooting spree, what's the nexus" Fischer asked. "Lancaster Chemical. The engineer worked there, Elkarn and Associates represents them. Four of their partners were killed today" I say. "Yeah, three in the squash courts, and one on the stairs" Mouse said. "He was running late. The four lawyers, they were targeted. We just don't know why yet" Adam said. "We still need to identify these killers" Fischer said. "Well, run them through the Indiana DMV if that's where they came from. You know, snap a picture, try and get a visual match. Maybe we can ID them that way" Voight said. "Yeah, Mouse can't do facial recognition. Not without official access to the Indiana DMV servers. Not legally anyway" I say. "Get it done" Fischer said.

Later that day, Adam and I contacted some lawyers from Lancaster Chemicals, and they agreed to come down to the station to talk to us. "Mr. McLelland, Mr. Hastings, thank you for meeting with us. It's a sad day" I say. "Our hearts go out to the Elkarn and Associates family. They lost brilliant minds this morning" Mr. McLelland said. "Listen, Mr. McLelland, we're a little confused, so we're hoping you can help us. Four of your lawyers were killed. Assassinated, really. We tied the very same shooters to the murder of one of your employees at Lancaster Chemical" Adam said. "I'm sorry, your question is" Mr. McLelland asked. "These men were targeted, and we think you know why" I say.

"Richard Davis was an engineer at our Paoli facility. He was fired for cause" Mr. McLelland said. "What was the cause" Adam asked. "As, legal counsel, all I'm prepared to say is that's a confidential matter" Mr. Hastings said. "Five men tied to your company are dead. See this" I ask and place the pictures of the dead employees in front of him. "Go ahead. Take a look. There's no cameras in here. You can speak freely. Really look at them." "Davis stole trade secrets" Mr. McLelland said. "Right, and we know he signed a $2 million settlement with Lancaster Chemical a week before he was murdered. Managing partners found this highly unusual" Adam said.

"Why would you pay off a thief who you just fired" I ask. "And what did he steal, exactly" Adam asked. "Officers, this settlement included a non-disclosure agreement" Mr. Hastings said. "It's detective, actually, and do you understand that the men who did this are holding hostages right now? More people are going to die. So what is going on? What the hell are you hiding" I ask harshly. "This is an emotional day for all of us, but to suggest that my company has anything to do with what's happened-" Mr. Hastings cut Mr. McLelland off. "You've said enough, Mark. If you'll excuse us, we have a meeting across town." "I'm sure you do" I say as they walked out of the interview room. "Yn" Adam said. "I'm fine" I say and storm out of the room.

........................................

"Hey, you guys got something" I ask Mouse and Adam. "The facial recognition on our unknown shooter. I finally got a hit off the Indiana DMV. Meet Evan Kozelek, 32, from Paoli, Indiana" Mouse said. "This a local paper, about a year ago, and that's Evan serving as a pallbearer for the funeral of an eight-year-old girl, his niece. She died of lymphoma. Read the next part. It what this is all about" Adam said and handed me the newspaper. I scanned over it, reading every single line. "Mouse, patch me in to Voight" I say.

Mouse got me onto Voight's frequency and handed me a radio. "Voight, can you hear me" I ask. "I hear you" Voight said. "One of the shooters is Owen Kozelek, 44 years old. He's an ex-Marine. The offender in custody is his brother. Owen lost his daughter last year, and the family blames Lancaster Chemical's test facility for making her sick. He called the engineer 11 times in the weeks leading up to his murder" I say.

..........................................

"So, Area Central ID'd our third shooter as Ray Kozelek. He's Evan and Owen's brother. He's got priors for battery, illegally concealing a handgun. Up until today, he was the bad egg" Erin said. "Owen's a former Marine, served everywhere from Kosovo to Kuwait. We think he probably trained the family for this" Adam said. "So we got these two in custody. Our last shooter's still out there" Erin said.

"Well, if it's a family affair, let's shake the tree. Maybe another Kozelek falls out" Al said. "It's a big tree. Look, I pulled the brother's financials, looked into known associates, anyone who would make sense as a co-conspirator. A list of siblings, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I mean, it's a mile long. They're like jackrabbits, the Kozeleks" Mouse said. "Well, get Indiana State Police to account for every one of these folks" Al said. "Wait. This guy. Nick Sutter. He was there, at the athletic club. We took a statement from him. He was with the woman who got shot. He was a witness" Kim said and held up a picture . "Or he was posing as one" Erin said.

"Nicholas Sutter is Ray's son. He goes by his stepdad's name. 19 years old, no priors. So his cousin is the little girl who died" Mouse said. "I followed protocol. I had him swabbed for gunshot residue. It came back clean. I cannot believe this. I mean, we had him" Kim said. "So Nick's dad and uncles draw our attention away from the club, while he falls in with the witnesses and slips out" Al said. "So they aren't finished? They have another target" Kim said. "We've got to locate McLelland and the legal counsel, Hastings, now" I say.

After talking to Evan Kozelek, we figured out that he was going after Hastings, so we interrupted his meeting and began searching for Nick. I was searching a hallway when suddenly, someone was pressing a gun against the back of my head. "Not a word" Nick said. "I'm going to put this down" I say and hold out my gun so that he could see. I knelt down and slid my gun away from us. When I got back up, I turned around so that Nick and I were face to face, except I had a gun aimed directly at mine.

"Nick, Hastings deserves to be punished, but this isn't the way" I say. "You don't think we tried everything else? Profits over people" Nick said. "Now the whole world is going to know" I say. "It's not enough. Hastings has to die" Nick said. "Sometimes people we love get hurt, Nick, and there's nothing we can do about it. It makes you so angry that you'll do anything to push the pain away, right? Except it won't bring your cousin back" I say.

"Ellie was so small. Even before she got sick. She was like my little sister. I was supposed to look out for her" Nick said. "I know" I say. "Get back" Nick suddenly shouted. I turned around and saw Antonio and Al in the doorway with their guns drawn. "Guys, don't! Don't shoot. Nick, look at me. I'm not going to let them shoot you. Okay? This morning, you tested negative for gunshot residue. The only way that happens is if you didn't fire a shot. You're not a murderer" I say. You people don't understand. Hastings killed her. Not a company. One person. He covered this up. He killed her" Nick said. 

"I know, and we can prove it. The truth is gonna come out, but if you really need to get to Hastings, you're going to have to shoot me first" I say. "I'm not afraid" Nick said and turned the safety off on his gun. "I'm not either. I mean, how many people have died already. Adding one more to the list isn't a big deal. If you want to kill somebody so bad, kill me. Just get it over with" I say. Nick stared me right in the eyes, but took the gun away from my face, placing the safety back on before handing me his gun. That's when Antonio and Al moved forward, handcuffing Nick. I grabbed my gun from the floor and holstered it just as Voight walked over to us. "Yn" he said. I shook my head and handed him Nick's gun, leaving the hallway just as the tears started to fall from my eyes.

Back at the district, I was sitting alone at my desk when Jay walked over to me. "Hey. Are you okay" he asked me. I shook my head as tears fell from my eyes. "I need help, Jay. I don't know how to get through life anymore" I say. "We're going to get you some help, Yn. I promise. Soon, you're going to be back to normal" Jay said and hugged me. For once, after my rape, I had felt safe in a man's arms, and I'm glad that man was Jay.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.9K 511 15
A young girl finds herself in big trouble and needs help, but maybe the help she receives will land her in even deeper trouble, maybe it will get her...
17.3K 287 14
When a new detective Mia Stevens joins the Intelligence Unit, the whole team take a disliking to her. She has attitude, she's messy but she gets the...
127K 2.4K 38
A lieutenant from the military police force assists the intelligence unit, along with her team of military police soldiers, to end one of their longe...
15.2K 129 14
(Being Edited) What happens when Alexis Rayann Casey gets out of the Army and joins the police academy and gets pulled by Hank Voight to join intelli...