Book 1 - Back of the Shadows

By OtsanaStories

Book 1 - Completed Can love be found from the lies and manipulation of the past? Sadie has spent the past few... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Three

863 95 3
By OtsanaStories

Sadie takes her time walking around the grocery store to pick up things she will need for the week. As she walks through the produce section he runs into her former friend Brittany. Thinking if this day can get any better, surely it would be where Brittany would ignore her.

"Oh my god! Sadie, how are you?" Brittany says in the most high pitched fake voice. Sadie looks around to see if any glass has cracked.

"Brittany, how are you?" Sadie asks.

"I am great! I just met with a new client who is looking for a multimillion-dollar home! Girl! That commission is going to be so great! Looking to update the ratty pool we had installed last year. Can never have too much am I right!" Brittany selfishly says.

"Yeah, you said it. That is great news, congratulations!" Sadie says sarcastically. She can't help but wonder if Brittany picks up on how much she doesn't want to talk to her.

"You really should've gotten into real estate with me! I mean you could be making so much more money and provided a better life for Gunnar. I know it's not easy with Will being gone." She says, rubbing salt in a wound.

"No, it's not but I am happy where I am and we make due. Gunnar is an amazing kid. I can't complain, he being a part of the National Honor Society and is working to be Valedictorian next year. Two schools have been calling for him for football and baseball. " Sadie says proudly.

"Oh, that's nice. Well, Ben and I are excited to hang out with you tonight at the game. I know he normally stands by the gate but I am making him sit with us! We just love being close. You know." Brittany says. It hurts Sadie when Brittany talks about her and Ben. Brittany always knew of Sadie's feelings but unfortunately, that doesn't mean anything when Ben never had an interest. She shouldn't let Brittany get to her like this because it hurts, and what is worse is Brittany knows she is doing it.

"Yes, I am well aware. That is nice that you still have that. Well, I need to go, today is my only day off. It will be a long couple of days coming up." Sadie quickly says needing to get out of this horrible conversation. "It was great to see you, you look amazing as always."

"Awe honey, I know. Bye!" Brittany says and saunters away. Swinging her hips as she goes.

She has Ben. It has been years and Sadie can't understand why she keeps rubbing in her face that she was the one who ended up with him. She was so naïve in high school. She actually thought Brittany was her friend and that Ben had feelings for her. She was felt like she was wrong on so many things.

As she finishes up her shopping and heads home to an empty house, she can't help but hear the silence. Even after almost 4 years of Will being gone, this is something she can't get used to. She takes the time to put some music on and cook her meals for the next few days for work and updating the family calendar. Gunnar is out at more things and events which leave Sadie at home more by herself. As she is cleaning up she gets a text from Ben.

"Hey, it's Ben. Gunnar wants to meet a girl for dinner after school. He knows its tradition for you both to go out, but he really likes this girl and wants to impress her. Let me take you to dinner to make up for my temper tantrum yesterday."

"Gunnar likes a girl? Wow, I had no idea. Of course, he can go, I'll run by the school to drop some money off. If she is special he better take her somewhere good!" Sadie thinks for a minute before she responds to his comment about dinner. "As for dinner with you and Brittany, no need to make it up to me. I forgive you."

Sadie has spent years kindly avoiding Brittany. She has a cancer personality where it will attack anything good you may have in yourself.

"Sadie, just for the record, Brittany would NOT be there. I just didn't want you to be alone on the dinner game night. Let me at least bring you dinner. I already gave Gunnar some money for tonight, no need to drop by the school"

"Ok, I could use some Pizza brain food to get through some papers. Meat lovers pizza, I have some cold beer"

"That's what I like to hear! Be there in 45 min."

Sadie throws her phone down and races around the house. Nervously picking up things and then trying to decide what to wear. She can't fathom that he is coming over for dinner. It is just the two of them. She shouldn't be excited, but she is. When the doorbell rings she slowly makes her way to the door trying to compose herself.

"Hey Ben, come on in," She says

"As requested, a meat lover's pizza. You are a woman after my own heart. What kind of paperwork do you have?"

"I have a paper to finish by the end of the week and then I'll be in study mode for a test next week. I am trying to finally finish my bachelor's degree." She says shyly.

"I didn't know you were finishing your degree! Brittany never told me, that is amazing news, Sadie!"

"You may or I guess may not have seen I do not tell Brittany a lot of things anymore. I actually don't tell people a lot of things. If you could keep this degree thing between us, I would really appreciate it." Sadie says. "People in the community talk a lot and they are not always so supportive. This home and Gunnar are my safe zone."

"I totally get it. It's like living in a fishbowl and constantly being circled by sharks ready to attack." Ben says jokingly

"That's quite extreme but accurate."

"So what is the paper on?" Ben asks

"Economic views of city vs country financial structure and why more big businesses are looking to head towards the country for more economic-financial gains and the approach for job security," Sadie says.

"Wow. I can see where Gunnar gets his smarts from." Ben says while watching Sadie. He sees her blush. "What made you want to finish your degree?"

"I wanted to prove a point to Gunnar that no matter what happens, even if you are a teen parent, and no matter how long it takes you can do whatever you set your mind to."

"You do know that he thinks the world of you right."

"Yeah and Will and I always want him to know he can do anything."

"So Sadie, after you graduate and Gunnar graduates, what is next?" Ben asks. He is finding that he doesn't know Sadie that well even after all these years. After dropping Gunnar off this morning, he has been determined to get to know her better.

"I am not sure, guess it depends on what College Gunnar goes to and what kind of scholarships he gets."

"Well humor me, what would you do?" Ben asks.

"I don't know, my whole life is him. I guess I need to think of me a bit more. Maybe traveling? I've always wanted to see Paris at Christmas." Sadie says thinking how she had a bucket list and it all went up in flames when she found out she was pregnant.

"I remember, that really would be amazing," Ben says encouragingly.

"We will see what life brings me. I've learned it changes in an instant."

Ben nods knowing what she means. It seems as everything they wanted, went up in smoke in one night.

"So tell me, what about you Ben? Are there any other plans other than being a cop? Last I remember you wanted to go on one of those extended hikes in Wyoming? Is that still on your bucket list?" Sadie asks. Clearly also remembering something that has meaning for Ben.

"Well yeah but I haven't thought of that in years. I should revisit that." He says. They continue to sit in comfortable silence, not really knowing what else to say.

"Well, we should pick up and get ready for the game. Want to ride with me since I'll be bringing Gunnar and my kids home?" Ben asks, hoping that she says yes.

"Uh yeah sure, that will be fine. Let me get my bag and a blanket."

"Great! I'll meet you at the truck." Ben says.

He heads to the truck to get it started and he is feeling over the moon with today. As he turns to watch her walk to the truck he can't help but think of how beautiful she is. When she climbs in he can smell the sweet vanilla perfume she is wearing.

"So big test, music?" he says "What are we listening to?"

"Well dear friend, if I must be put on the spot then I must request, Toto's Africa. Classic" she boldly states.

"Ah, congratulations as that is not a deal-breaker." Ben says while internally cringing at the "friend" statement. He talks himself down as he would rather be friends than to go another day without her in his life like before. He truly missed her.

As the music plays they enter into a playful banter about music and movies. The conversation continues about kids and life's hopeful future plans. He can't remember the last time he had a conversation about something other than money or status. Sadie asks more about what he wants and it takes him by surprise. It has been a long time since someone asked what he wanted. Sadie doesn't even realize how much he thinks she is perfect in every way.

"Hey look! A spot upfront, that never happens. Today is your lucky day" she says

"Maybe you are my lucky charm?" he says.

Sadie ducks her head to hide the blush that covers her face. It takes Ben every ounce of effort to keep his hands to himself. He so badly wants to pull her face to his and finally kiss her. He thinks of how it would feel and how her lips would taste for just one kiss. This may be a more difficult task to just be friends. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

749K 68.2K 36
She is shy He is outspoken She is clumsy He is graceful She is innocent He is cunning She is broken He is perfect or is he? . . . . . . . . JI...
46.7K 2.9K 82
Book 3 of Steel Wolf My sister has disappeared leaving me in charge of raising my four year old nephew. Since she's been missing for so long now and...
268K 7.3K 54
I possessed a R-19 BL novel. I was the wife of an obsessive maniac. Daphne was a character who was killed by the main character while bullying the ma...
7.7K 180 15
Annie Leblanc has never been to a real school. But what happens when she goes to high school? What happens when her family moves away leaving her wit...