The Order of the Phoenix | He...

By kieran_w

Your fifth year at Hogwarts is waiting for you, but the question is: will you be there? More

Book Five
1. The Funeral
2. Grimmauld Place
3. An Explanation
4. Lucius Malfoy
5. The New Malfoy
6. The End Of Summer
7. The New Teacher
9. A Mere Coincidence
10. Slytherin Quidditch Tryouts
11. Hogwart's High Inquisitor
12. The Hog's Head
13. Education Decrees
14. Dumbledore's Army
15. Weasley Is Our King
16. A Christmas Kiss
17. Arthur Weasley
18. The Boy Who Also Lived
19. Dumbledore's Proposition
20. Sirius' Story
21. Marissa's Story
22. The Inquisitorial Squad
23. Dumbledore's Disappearance
24. The Moon And The Stars
25. A Forgotten Childhood
26. Occlumency
27. A Meeting With A Malfoy
28. Hermione's Boggart
29. Potter's Vision
30. The Department of Mysteries
31. The Traitor
32. The Death Of A Father
33. The End Of Fifth Year

8. Defence Against The Dark Arts

6.9K 241 115
By kieran_w

Y/N's POV

"Do I have to wear the robes?" I asked whilst getting changed into my uniform.

Draco nodded. "Just put them on, you can take them off later."

"I kinda just want to wear a jumper, I think that looks better on me." I said, showing Draco as I wore a grey jumper, with Slytherin colours on the v-neck along with a white shirt with the Slytherin tie and grey trousers. "The robe just kinda ruins it."

Draco chuckled. "Who are you trying to impress."

"No one, I just want to make a good impression." I lied. Truth be told, I wanted to get to know that girl I met during the Prefect meeting. I thought she was absolutely stunning and wanted to get to know her.

"Well, you've already made a good impression. You're a Malfoy." Draco replied, whilst tying his tie.

I sighed. "Fine I'll keep the robe on but I'm taking it off later."

Blaise then popped his head through our dorm door. "Come on guys, you've taken so long to get ready Crabbe and Goyle have already gone for breakfast."

Laughing at how greedy the two boys were, me and Malfoy made our way down to breakfast. Upon walking in, I glanced at the Gryffindor table to see the brown-haired girl, the ginger-haired boy and Harry Potter talking. Me and the girl made eye contact and I winked at her before walking over to the Slytherin table.

Our morning lessons went smoothly and we only had DADA left, me and the otehrs made our way to Umbridge's classroom.

"I don't like this Umbridge woman." I said quietly to Draco.

He shrugged. "Father likes her so she must be alright."

I opened my mouth to say something but then the girl from Gryffindor showed up along with her two friends, I wanted to ask Draco for her name but I remembered him saying that they were bad people, so I wanted to avoid that topic.

Me and the girl made eye contact and I could see her blush slightly, causing me to smirk. Once everyone was there, Professor Umbridge got up and spoke.

"Well, good afternoon!"

A few people mumbled "Good afternoon" in reply, me not being one of them.

"Tut, tut," said Professor Umbridge, "that won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge'. One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!"

"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," we chanted back at her.

"There, now," said Professor Umbridge sweetly, "that wasn't too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please."

"I thought this lesson was about learning spells with our wands?" I asked Draco, from what he was saying I was very excited to be learning defensive spells.

Draco shrugged and took out his book lazily.

"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it?" stated Professor Umbridge, turning to face the class. "The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry-approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in your O.W.L year. You will be pleased to know, however, that these problems are now to be rectified. We will be following a carefully structured, theory-centred, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year. Copy down the following, please."

She used her wand to write the words 'Course Aims' on the chalkboard.

For a couple of minutes, the room was full of the sound of scratching quills on parchment. When everyone had copied down Professor Umbridge's three course aims she asked. "Has everybody got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"

There was a dull murmur throughout the class.

"I think we'll try that again," said Professor Umbridge, "when I ask you a question, I should like you to reply, 'Yes, Professor Umbridge', or 'No, Professor Umbridge'. So: has everyone got a copy of Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"

"Yes, Professor Umbridge." I chanted along with the rest of the class.

"Good," smiled Professor Umbridge, "I should like you to turn to page five and read 'Chapter One, Basics for Beginners'. There will be no need to talk."

I opened the book, only to be bored instantly and turned my attention to the other people in the class. The brown-haired girl had her hand up.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" Umbridge asked.

"Not about the chapter." the girl said.

"Well, we're reading just now," said Professor Umbridge, "if you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class."

"I've got a query about your course aims."

Professor Umbridge raised her eyebrows. "And your name is?"

"Hermione Granger."

The name seemed oddly familiar to me, I was very happy that I knew her name know even though it felt like a very familiar name, like the name of someone I used to know.

"Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them through carefully" said Professor Umbridge.

"Well, I don't," said Hermione bluntly, "there's nothing written up there about using defensive spells."

"Using defensive spells?" Professor Umbridge repeated with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"

"We're not going to use magic?" the ginger boy exclaimed loudly.

"Students raise their hands when they wish to speak in my class, Mr- ?"

"Weasley."

That surname also sounded familiar to me.

Professor Umbridge made her way to sit down when Hermione raised her hand in the air again.

"Yes, Miss Granger? You wanted to ask something else?"

"Yes," said Hermione, "surely the whole point of Defence Against the Dark Arts is to practice defensive spells?"

"Are you a Ministry-trained educational expert, Miss Granger?" asked Professor Umbridge, in her falsely sweet voice.

"No, but-"

"Well then, I'm afraid you are not qualified to decide what the whole point of any class is. You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way."

"What use is that?" said Harry Potter loudly. "If we're going to be attacked, it won't be in a-"

"Hand, Mr Potter!"

I raised my hand. "If we get attacked, that isn't very risk free is it?"

"I'm sorry Mr-"

"Malfoy." I said bitterly.

"I repeat," said Professor Umbridge, "do you expect to be attacked during my classes?"

"No-"

Professor Umbridge talked over me. "I do not wish to criticise the way things have been run in this school, but you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in this class, very irresponsible indeed...not to mention, extremely dangerous Half-breeds."

"If you mean Professor Lupin," a boy said angrily, "he was the best we ever-"

"Hand! As I was saying, you have been introduced to spells that have been complex, inappropriate to your age group and potentially lethal. You have been frightened into believing that you are likely to meet Dark attacks every other day. It is my understanding that my predecessor not only performed illegal curses in front of you, he actually performed them on you."

"Well, he turned out to be a maniac, didn't he?" said Weasley hotly.

"Your hand is not up, Mr Weasley!" trilled Professor Umbridge. "Now, it is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge will be more than sufficient to get you through your examination, which, after all, is what school is all about."

"What about the practical bit in our O.W.Ls?" I asked.

"Hand please Mr Malfoy. As long as you have studied the theory hard enough, there is no reason why you should not be able to perform the spells under carefully controlled examination conditions," said Professor Umbridge dismissively.

Anger broke out in the class.

"And what good's theory going to be in the real world?" said Harry Potter loudly, his fist in the air.

Professor Umbridge looked up. "This is school, Mr Potter, not the real world."

"So we're not supposed to be prepared for what's waiting for us out there?"

"There is nothing waiting out there, Mr Potter."

"Oh, yeah?"

"Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourselves?"

"Hmm, let's think..." said Harry in a mock thoughtful voice, "maybe...Lord Voldemort?"

Silence.

"Ten points from Gryffindor, Mr Potter."

Umbridge paused before speaking. "Now, let me make a few things quite plain. You have been told that a certain Dark wizard has returned from the dead-"

"He wasn't dead," said Harry angrily, "but yeah, he's returned!"

Umbridge shot Harry a glare. "As I was saying, you have been informed that a certain Dark wizard is at large once again. This is a lie."

"It is not a lie!" said Harry. "I saw him, I fought him!"

"Detention, Mr Potter!" said Professor Umbridge. "I repeat, this is a lie. The Ministry of Magic guarantees that you are not in danger from any Dark wizard. If you are still worried, by all means come and see me outside class hours. If someone is alarming you with fibs about reborn Dark wizards, I would like to hear about it. I am here to help. I am your friend."

Professor Umbridge sat down behind her desk. Harry, however, stood up. "So, according to you, Y/N L/N dropped dead of his own accord, did he?'

"Y/N L/N's death was a tragic accident," Umbridge said coldly.

"It was murder," said Harry, "Voldemort killed him and you know it."

It wasn't rare that there was another kid with my name, it just seemed odd and very coincidental. I turned and looked at Draco, he had a lot of explaining to do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

300K 9.4K 32
Your third year at Hogwarts unravels more about you than you ever knew.
10K 288 24
In which the fourth year at Hogwarts brings you new challenges and obstacles that you need to face while also being oblivious to your feelings toward...
286K 15K 38
━━ ❪ 𖠵 𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 ❫ ❝𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙛𝙚𝙨𝙨𝙤𝙧 𝙪𝙢𝙗𝙧𝙞𝙙𝙜𝙚 𝙞𝙨 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙖𝙣 𝙚𝙡𝙙𝙚𝙧𝙡𝙮 𝙥𝙤𝙪𝙣𝙙𝙡𝙖𝙣𝙙 𝙗𝙪𝙙𝙜𝙚𝙩 𝙧𝙚𝙜𝙞𝙣...
9.3K 252 28
You've always loathed the twins and never could be in a room with them without fighting and bickering. But everything changes after your fifth year w...