Out of My League

By writingneverland

Charlotte Black was completely and utterly perfect. She was captain of the softball team, popular, a 4.0 stud... More

{1} A Secret Admirer
{2} Strike Three
{3} Drive-Thru Encounter
{4} Injury
{5} Her Secret World
{6} The Fight
{7} Obsessed
{8} Return
{9} Rainstorm
{10} Charlotte Black's Day Off
{11} Prom
{12} Goodbye
{13} Dear Charlotte,
{Part 2}
{14} New York
{15} Afraid of the Dark
{16} Reunion
{17} Ubers and Redbox
{18} Solving a Mystery
{19} The Publisher
{21} The Plan
{22} In Motion
{23} Caught in the Act
{24} Aftermath
{25} Firsts
{26} Back Home
{27} Mending Fences
{28} Skeletons
{29} Reminiscing
{30} The New Normal
{31} Performance
{32} Love, Lemon
{33} Fin

{20} 7 Years Ago, Today

12.8K 484 77
By writingneverland

Charlotte's POV

"I think it's getting better," I stated genuinely. "I don't have nightmares anymore. I just really miss her, that's all."

My therapist gazed at me behind her horn-rimmed glasses. "I can tell," she replied. 

After my temporary probation from softball, my teammate Sammy referred me to her therapist in an attempt to help me deal with the grief of my mother's death. Surprisingly, it appeared to work. This was my third appointment with her, and I was pleased to disclose that alcohol no longer consumed my nights, and I was finally getting sleep for the first time. Although something else was tugging at my thoughts.

"Is there anything else you want to tell me before you go?" the therapist inquired.

"Actually, yes there is," I said hesitatingly. "I have a uh, friend who lost someone extremely close to them 7 years ago today. I was just worried about them."

"I see," she replied. "Anniversaries of tragic events are often very difficult on the people affected. Does this friend of yours live close?"

"Yes, but she doesn't want to see or talk to me anymore."

"Why is that?" she asked politely.

"I think she's trying to protect someone she loves," I answered thoughtfully. "But she can't do that if I'm there."

The therapist nodded. "I understand."

"So what do I do?" I asked.

"I think you should take a step back for now, Charlotte. If it's true she has other close people in her life, then trust she will be able to get through this with their help."

I nodded. "Thank you Ms. Stevens."

"Just Kara" she corrected.

"See you later Kara," I said, smiling as I got up from my chair and departed the cozy office.

...

I glanced up from my pages and pages of psychology homework to check the time. It was 9:00 already? Time really does fly when you have a test the next day. I could feel my eyes beginning to drift closed. Tonight was going to be a real struggle. Suddenly, my phone rang beside me. As I glanced at the screen, my heart stopped for a second. It was Lemon.

I picked it up immediately. "Lemon, isn't this against your oath or something?" I joked. The sound of people shouting and loud music blasted from her line. "Lemon?"

"Guess where I am?" she shouted, nearly giving me a heart attack. Something was clearly wrong. Lemon sounded drunk, which was strange because Lemon never drank. Like never.

"By the sound of it, you're at a party," I said slowly. "It's kind of late don't you think?"

"Not at all, the party's just started. Besides, tonight's a special occasion," Lemon continued loudly. "7 years ago, I officially became an only child!"

"Lemon stop," I said with concern. "Where's Skylar?"

"We don't mention her," Lemon spat at the phone.

"Partying is not a sensible way of coping, Lemon."

"Says you, stop being a hypocrite Charlotte. Don't pretend I didn't see your apartment," Lemon said, her voice angry.

I took a deep breath, trying to take Lemon's words lightly. Should I make sure she was okay? She did just kick me out of her life a few days ago. "Hey you, want to go somewhere private?" I heard a man's voice ask her through the phone. That's it, I couldn't leave her there.

"Lemon, where are you?" I practically begged her.

"Some frat house," she slurred out. "Kappa Sigma?"

"I'll be right there," I said, quickly hanging up.

As Sammy pulled up to the entrance of NYU (I'd sworn off using Ubers for now), I couldn't shake the feeling of dread forming in the pit of my stomach. What if she was in trouble? What if she decided to push me away again?

"If you need another ride, just call me," Sammy assured me.

I nodded. "Thanks Sam, I owe you one."

When I finally arrived at the frat house, a blond girl with highlights met me. "Skylar, thank God!" her eyes narrowed for a second. "Oh, sorry I thought you were someone else. Hi, I'm Chloe."

I shook her hand. "I'm Charlotte."

Recognition crossed the girl's face. "Charlotte Black? As in Lemon's friend?" I nodded in response.

"Even better!" she exclaimed. "I was wondering if you could look after Lem for me. I took her to our dorm, but I'm still worried about her and I have a graveyard shift tonight." 

"I'll look after her," I promised.

"Great! I mean this is so unlike her. I don't think I've ever seen her drink before tonight. Here," she said as she handed me a set of keys. "It's to our dorm." I took the keys and turned to leave. "Oh and Charlotte," Chloe added. "Lemon thinks the world of you."

I turned the keys to Chloe and Lemon's dorm and walked inside. The room was completely dark.  My hand searched the wall, finally landing on a switch. Light flooded the room instantly, revealing a figure sitting on the bed with her back to me.

"Sorry, did I wake you up?"

"Chloe?" came a soft voice.

"No, it's me," I answered. "It's Charlotte." 

The corner of Lemon's mouth lifted slightly. "Okay," she said.

"You called me and I was worried," I blurted. "I know you kind of vowed to never see me again, but I couldn't leave you alone, not tonight."

"Okay," Lemon replied again.

"Maybe you should try to get some sleep," I suggested, walking over and unfolding the blanket on Lemon's bed. I placed it in her hand. To my relief, she took it and lay on the bed beside me. I walked to turn off the lights. 

"I'm sorry," Lemon slurred suddenly.

"Why?"

"For abandoning you," she continued. "I'm sorry. I was scared."

"Why were you scared?" I asked, puzzled.

"Because I still love you, Char." 

I looked at her in stunned silence, but she had already fallen asleep. I remembered my promise to Chloe and decided my psychology test could wait. I sat against the wall beside her bed. Unlike my brother, Lemon didn't snore. Of course I already knew that. 

Despite the fact I was in somebody else's dorm the night before a big test, I felt strangely tranquil. As the sound of Lemon's ragged breathing filled my ears, I felt myself start to drift off. 

...

"Char." I opened my eyes to see a dark figure looming over me. As my vision focused, I realized Lemon was standing in front of me. The night's events flooded my mind as I became aware of the fact that I was in Lemon's college dorm. Was it even night anymore?

"What time is it?" I asked as I sat up with some effort.

"Around 3:00 am," Lemon answered. "Can we talk?"

"Of course," I replied, noticing how serious her voice sounded. I quickly tied my hair up.

Lemon grinned at me."I always wondered how you did that. Maybe you should consider a future in hair styling."

"Ha ha," I answered sarcastically. "So what's on your mind?"

As Lemon recounted to me the horrors of her encounter with the publisher I felt my blood begin to boil. 

"We've got to do something about this!" I exclaimed angrily. "He's going to hurt other people!"

"I know, and I agree with you," Lemon continued. "But we need evidence if we're going to actually remove him from his position."

"Well, have you talked to Skylar about it?" I asked, watching Lemon's face drop. "I mean, two testimonies against him are better than one."

Lemon sighed. "I did, but she got suddenly defensive and denied everything."

"Oh," I answered. "That could mean two things: He only targets some of his clients, or she's too ashamed or afraid to talk about it."

Lemon stared at me for a long moment. "Do you think I'm a good writer Char? I know you haven't read many of my stories, but you still know me better than anyone. Please be honest."

"Of course," I responded truthfully. "I was in your English class for three years. Your writing didn't just blow Mrs. Evans away, it blew me away. Lemon, it was partly thanks to your writing that I fell in love with you."

Lemon looked at me in disbelief. "Really?"

"Yeah," I said. "As you are probably aware by now, I'm pretty competitive. So when this pretty girl kept beating my scores on every single essay, I got pissed," I explained. "One Friday after school, I snuck into our English classroom and read one of your essays."  Lemon looked at me incredulously. "You were so insightful, mature, and gifted already as a sophomore. I envied you," I admitted.

"Seriously?" Lemon asked.

"Seriously."

"Thank you," she said, tears welling up in her light brown eyes. "You seem like you're finally getting things under control Char. I'm really proud of you. And here I am, embarrassing myself in front of you."

I laughed. "That's not even remotely true, but I promise you it will get better."

"I miss her," Lemon whispered.

"I know," I replied as I pulled her into a tight hug. "I know."

"And when I saw how much you were hurting that night a few weeks ago in your apartment, I was afraid of losing you too," Lemon sobbed. "I'm so glad you're okay."

"Me too," I answered. I reached over and grabbed her hand, squeezing it gently. I was suddenly reminded of Lemon's words to me seemingly centuries ago in a car, minutes before my life changed forever. "I'll always be here for you," I promised.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.6K 2.2K 34
Bridgette "Brie" Campbell is 25 years old, has long brunette hair that reaches the back of her shoulders. Her eyes are dark brown and has fair skin...
95.4K 4.2K 51
After a tragic accident that nearly destroyed her family Christina find herself on the outside looking in. Nobody seems to notice or care that she is...
348K 7.8K 40
Rowan Barlowe hated her job. It wasn't the people-it was the pay, and there was no way that she'd be able to save up for college while only being pa...
149K 4.9K 23
Peyton Wright was the human embodiment of perfection: she was beautiful and from a rich family, and a model. Of course, this earned her the title of...