Can We Love

By TheMiddleChild6368

(Y/N) was to be married to Kakashi Hatake. A ninja from the Leaf Village her family was allied to. But she di... More

Gorgeous Was Reserved For Her
How Could He Do This To Me?
How Can I Make Nice?
Who The Fuck Did My Mother Hire?
I'm Glad You Stayed
Fuck. I Forgot To Give You Pants
Lord Chiza Missed His Chance
Infamous Sharingan
That's...Cool?
Smells Nice
They All Want Fucking Snacks
What The Hell
Like Mother Always Said
Woof
God He's Beautiful
I Don't Need You, But I Want You

Only If We Steal The Food

10.1K 451 527
By TheMiddleChild6368

"You look stunning Lady (Y/N)." The maid helping me into my wedding gown gushed.

I spread my hands across the white fabric, bumpy from the blooming flower designs before turning smooth and silky against my fingertips.

The dress was exquisite, something my mother would have worn.

I suppose that's why she picked it out, today was the only day I could outshine her. 

Looking in the full-length mirror made me dizzy with nerves.

Today I was promising myself to someone I'd never met, all because my mother decreed it. 

Studying the dress I tried to imagine how different it would look if I actually wanted to wear it.

Would the delicate see-through sleeves with swirling flower stems still restrict my arms in a phantom grip?

Would the curving sweetheart cut and the pretty flowers that danced up my chest and biceps still make me feel like I’m hung bare to a cruel world?

Would the slimming top, cinched to my waist and cupping my breasts, feel so tight and suffocating?

Would the poofing princess skirt that flared out like a flower’s petals feel like a spider's web, immobilizing my body and spreading fear into my heart as I wait for the deadly spider to take my life? 

I dropped my bare shoulders as sorrow filled me.

It wasn't the gown I expected to be wearing on a day like this, but neither was this the wedding I thought I would have.

The off the shoulders dress was draped across my body perfectly, hugging just right.

My hair is wonderfully styled and decorated with little flowers and loose petals.

Shoes, covered by the long expense of the dress, were comfortable now but would no doubt hurt by the end of the night.

They were a pearl white with sleek heels, forcing me to stand in a way that flaunted my chest and backside.

My makeup was flawless, yet all I wanted to do was ruin it with tears. 

“It’s almost time My Lady.” A maid said and I nodded, still staring in the mirror.

Briefly, I wondered what my groom looked like.

But it didn’t matter, he would look the same as me.

Feigning a smile and biting back a ‘no’ when we say ‘I do.’

Sighing I followed the maid out of the dressing room.

Mother stood outside, decked out in a pale blue dress that had details rivaling my own.

Part of me was enraged that she attempted to stealthily outshine me.

It made me want to scream at her. 

If you want to outshine me so much then you can fucking marry him!’

But I buried the thought deep down, throwing it into the little box labeled ‘HATE.’

Mother’s actions took up most of the space, leaving very little room for others.

Like the Sandaime or Drake, for instance. 

“Wonderful, you truly look like a bride. But you seem to be forgetting something.” Mother’s tone turned sharp and she walked forward, raising a hand and gripping my chin.

“Don’t leave your smile in the room, girl. I won’t have you ruining this exchange.”

I ripped my chin from her fingers and smothered a glare. 

“Of course Mother. I’m to marry Hatake, provide a child, and honor your…deal with the Sandaime. All with a smile. Isn’t that what you said I was to do Mother?”

For a second Mother's eyes flashed and her nostrils flared, but then she was calm again, a sly smile curling her lips sinisterly. 

“Good, now dear? Be a good girl and remember your vows.”

I gulped and her smile turned wolfish.

“Don’t want to embarrass yourself now.” She smirked as I nodded, hanging my head in defeat.

The vows were written by her, each wretched word created by her hand. 

“Lady (Y/N)? Please come back into the room, I’ve forgotten something.” Lisa said, poking her head out of the door.

Briefly, I was confused, she had not been in there when I was getting ready, and there was nothing the maids could have forgotten.

But then she smiled politely at my mother, I caught the strain she reflected when my mother looked away to scoff and mumble about her incompetence.

Walking back into the room as quickly as I could manage, Lisa shut the door. 

“What is it Lisa? The tail doesn’t go on until I’m in front of the doors.”

It was the only thing missing from my attire.

Lisa shook her head and smiled sadly. 

“My Lady, you remember when I told you the Headmistress had your personal items removed?” Lisa asked, walking over to the vanity.

The mention of it caused a flare of rage, but then confusion. 

“Yes. Lisa what is the meaning of this?” I asked, impatient.

The wedding was to start in a few minutes, and Mother would not be pleased if I was to be late.

Lisa pulled out a small box from behind a stack of makeup.

She walked up and handed it to me.

Gently I opened it, nervous and scared as hope shot through my system.

Inside the smooth red casing was plush white cotton, folded over something.

Removing the cotton tentatively I gasped as the necklace inside was revealed. 

Pulling it out by the charm I dropped the box in favor of cradling it.

The charm was a dainty ruby, held in a silver piece that branched out and curled around the jewel possessively. It was connected to a delicate silver chain.

Silver was my favorite color of precious metal, I much preferred it to gold.

My mother is gold, my father was silver, they never mixed well, too opaque and contrasting.

Gentle hands grasped the necklace and I let it slip through my fingers.

Lisa moved behind me and gently clasped it around my neck. 

“How did you get this?” I asked, barely above a whisper. 

“I stashed it away, your father would want to be here for your wedding, I thought this was as close as we could get.”

I nodded my head meekly.

My father died long ago when I was thirteen.

But once, when he wasn’t bedridden and sick, he had visited a wealthy Village and brought me home a souvenir. 

Mother had tried to take it from me when she found it, furious that my father would give me something so beautiful when she was not.

My father had pleaded with her, appalled that the fine jewels and dresses weren’t enough.

After that, I stashed it away somewhere safe from her greedy fingers and only pulled it out when I missed my father.

It was the only thing I ever got from him, after Mother's fit he had never given me a thing again.

But then he fell ill and the rage I felt towards my mother's pretty rings and bracelets fell short.

“Are you ready?” Lisa asked softly and I wiped a tear from my eye.

Nodding I walked to the door on steady feet, meeting my mother’s impatient expression head-on.

Holding my head high I walked past her and down the hall, stopping to wait behind the large doors shielding me from the aisle.

Mother came to stand beside me, offering me her arm. I took it mutely as the maids fastened the tail, held by a flower headband and draped it over my shoulders and down my back. 

“Smile.” That was all she said before the doors opened and I sucked in a deep breath.

On the other side of the doors were rows of people.

Most of them I didn't know. But as I walked down the aisle to my doom, I recognized the Hokage, Asuma, and Kurenai.

I refused to look at my groom just yet, whether it was because I'm scared or defiant I'm not sure.

Mother’s arm was like a snake, her grip strong and dangerous.

Each step felt like an eternity as the music played.

I forced a smile, flinching when I caught Asuma’s sad eyes.

Once I made it to the altar I stared straight ahead, at the Officiant.

Mother came to stand next to me.

The Officiant smiled at me and waited for the room to quiet. 

"I know this doesn't mean much, but you look beautiful." The man next to me murmured.

At first, I was startled and annoyed, I didn't want to look beautiful for some random man.

But then the voice registered and I had never whipped my head faster.

Next to me stood a tall man with pretty silver hair and a lone eye. His face was still covered, but he now wore a sharp black suit. 

"You-" I started but was cut off by the Officiant. 

"Welcome, we are gathered here today to witness the holy matrimony between a man and a woman."

I drowned out the rest of his speech, caught up in my inner turmoil.

My groom, my husband-to-be was that man.

The one that promised I would see Jiraiya, the man that took me to the mountain like I had asked.

'Is that why he followed me? Because he knew who I was?'

A wave of brief anger flared inside of me.

How could he not tell me who he was? 

“And now for the vows."

We turned to each other, my body on autopilot.

But then he started to speak and I zeroed in on his words. 

"(Y/N), I understand that this isn't what you expected, isn't what you wanted. But I promise, despite all the wrongdoings forced upon you today, that I will do my best to make this work. You might hate me, or at the very least dislike me for ripping away the life you knew and probably for being nothing but a husband on paper. But please be patient with me, and I promise this won't be as miserable as you think." 

The speech wasn't anything like mine.

It made the guests gasp and the Officiant fidget uncomfortably.

But it was honest and true to our situation.

Despite me already hearing my mother's enraged shouts I threw my vows away.

He was honest with me, I would be honest with him. 

"Hatake, I was supposed to promise you superficial things, to be a good wife and provide a child. But I'm not going to. What I can promise you, is that I will not expect anything from you as I hope you do not expect anything from me. I will try to make this work, but we are two strangers, and relations can change instantly so early on. I hope that you are also patient with me, as neither of us wished to be here today, right now. As someone once said to me, just because we are captives, doesn't mean we can't be cordial."

I felt more than saw his smirk at the mention of his last comment to me.

We turned back to the Officiant, his face pinched as he blanched at our vows.

I could practically feel my mother steaming.

The Officiant began to speak, stumbling at first.

Hatake and I said our 'I do's' and then he reached over and brought me close, pulling me behind him as he turned from the crowd before pulling down his mask and claiming my lips.

I only caught a flash of pale skin before my eyes fluttered closed.

The kiss was sweet, all lips and light pressure, a getting-to-know-you kiss that lasted a bit longer than a peak but too short to be much of a kiss.

Hatake pulled back and had his mask up before I could even attempt to catch more of his face.

There was clapping and cheering but that all fell into the background as Hatake shared an eye-smile.

He reached out his hand and I took it hesitantly.

He leaned in and brought his lips to my ear. 

"What do you say we ditch when no one’s looking?" Then he pulled back and turned to the guests, acting like he hadn’t suggested we ditch our own wedding.

As we walked down the small steps of the altar I pulled him close. 

"Only if we steal the food."

He gave a little laugh and suddenly the dress didn't feel like a death sentence anymore.

For the first time that day, I felt a real smile tug at my lips. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.3K 1.4K 42
How much can a heart take before it bleeds out? How far can someone go until they shatter? In one night Uchiha Chiasa's entire world collapsed and sh...
1.6M 51.3K 73
Asoka Rose is an isolated girl who lives her life in her fantasy. Her sanity had been lost long ago. And as she is transported into the Naruto World...
73.3K 2.2K 50
When Iruka Umino is in love with the Sixth Hokage, Kakashi Hatake, things begin to build up in their relationship but people are there to also corrup...