when all is said and done | e...

By shinydols

ethan and harper could not be more opposite. she spends her days in her windowed office, looking down at the... More

one
two
three
four
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
epilogue pt. 1
epilogue pt. 2
epilogue pt. 3
epilogue pt. 4
epilogue pt. 5
epilogue pt. 6
epilogue pt. 7
epilogue pt. 8
epilogue pt. 9
final epilogue

five

1K 32 19
By shinydols

ethan

i drop the stack of papers on harper's desk as soon as she walks in at 8 am and drops her bag down.

she looks up at me, and i see a hint of confusion and irritation in her eyes. "what's this?" she asks.

i grin widely. "the calvin oliver story that he's been emailing non stop about. i went over it thoroughly friday night and i—"

"ethan," she cuts me off, voice laced with a bitter tone. "i don't have time for this. it's already been a long day, and you're not making my job any less stressful, which is technically what you're supposed to be doing."

my smile falters, and a sinking feeling fills up my stomach. "o-oh, you just told me a couple of days ago that i should be the first to look at it... and i did, see? the blue ink is stuff that i didn't like, and the black ink is—"

she breathes out a breath of frustration and rubs her temples. "i'm sorry, ethan, but please leave me alone for this morning? i can't deal with this right now."

i hide my disappointment and nod, sliding the file folder into my hands and walk back to my office.

i thought she would like that i took it seriously, but now i just feel embarrassed.

she made me work on the pitch, just so i could feel important, and not actually make an impact in her routine.

right. like my entire life.

for the rest of the morning, i avoid looking through the glass door at all costs and immerse myself in my work even more than usual. i respond to around 50 emails that she forwarded me, and even schedule a couple more meetings.

at 11 am, i get a reminder notification pop up on my computer screen.

harper brown
nail appointment, 11:30 am 12/02/20

my breath catches in my throat at the idea of getting up and talking to her, especially when she definitely voiced that i need to leave her alone.

but at 11:10, i realize i can't put it off any longer.

slowly, i stand up and grasp the door handle, trying not to make much noise as i turn it and shuffle through her open office.

harper bites her bottom lip as she flips through pages of print, and her eyes flick on the paper vigorously.

i clear my throat, and her head snaps up.

"y-you have a nail appointment in twenty minutes," i can't help but stutter.

she thankfully remains calm and nods, dismissing me back to my office.

i sit down in my desk chair, utterly relieved.

how sad is it that a 24 year old man is scared of his boss who is roughly 5'7" and the same age as him?

days where she's like this are rare, but they occur.

i'm about to continue my work, when a small knock comes from the door. i turn to see a half-smiling harper, and furrow my eyebrows.

she opens the door. "i, um, i'm leaving to go to my appointment."

i nod. "okay."

harper looks at her feet, then back up at me. "i'm sorry i yelled at you this morning. it wasn't right to take my personal problem anger out on you, and i hope you can forgive me."

slightly shocked, i say, "it's okay."

"no, it's not. come with me and i'll buy you lunch?"

i debate the idea in my head. she's waiting expectantly for an answer, so out of pure pressure, i just simply nod my head and stand up to get my coat.

a smile takes over her face, showcasing her perfectly straight, white teeth.

"okay, let's go. i think i'm late for the appointment."

we rush into the elevator and i stand there quietly, feeling slightly awkward. whenever we leave the office together, it's always because of a meeting that i'm forced to attend as well.

this is my own free will.

when we get out at the lobby, harper waves to the doorman and i scramble for my phone to order and uber.

"relax," she catches my arm. "i already ordered one. consider this... not work. just two friends going to lunch."

weird.

she was annoyed with me this morning, and now she suddenly feels bad and is inviting me to get food.

"okay," i say hesitantly, sliding my phone back in my pocket.

a black suv pulls up moments later, and harper moves to slide into the back seat. i get in as well, and the sound of her typing on her phone with her nails fills the car.

it's work related— i can tell by the way her face scrunches up and she chews on the inside of her cheek.

"you okay?" i ask.

she turns to me, trying to put on a smile. "yeah, it's fine."

her hair is pulled into a low bun on the back of her head, a couple of loose black strands framing her face in the front.

she reaches up to lightly tug at the small, silver hoops that dangle from her ears, another nervous habit of her's that i've noticed over the years.

the car stops outside a nail salon and we both hop out. she hurries in and talks to the lady at the front desk, and immediately gets seated in a chair.

a waiting area catches my eye, where a couple of guys are sitting and reading magazines or scrolling on their phones.

i sit next to one guy, and lean over to whisper, "how long do these things usually take?"

he looks at me, a laugh forming in his eyes. "first time here?"

i nod.

"ah," he says, a tone of him knowing something i don't. "good luck. it could be twenty minutes... or twenty hours."

my eyes widen from his words, and he lets out a deep belly laugh, sounding like a dad would after making a lame joke.

"i'm kidding, kid. usually around an hour or two. which one's yours?"

i furrow my eyebrows. "what?"

he glances at the row of chairs and tables. "where's your girl?"

i can't help but laugh. "oh no, that's not it. i'm a her assistant... not her boyfriend."

he gives me an approving nod before scanning the row of women again.

"it's the one in the black pantsuit, right?" he asks blandly.

i turn to where he's looking. "yep," i sigh, noticing harper looking through colors.

she turns my way suddenly and smiles.
"ethan! come here. help me for a second."

i close my eyes and fight off another defeated sigh.

"good luck," the guy claps my shoulder as i stand up.

i mutter my thanks and walk over to harper's station, and she immediately thrusts some color options in my face.

"green or white?"

i wrinkle my nose and take the colors from her. "why're you asking me?"

"you're my assistant and you have to do what i say, so what color?" she asks, a hint of a smile in her voice.

"you always have green, so... yellow."

she laughs. "yellow? are you crazy? no, the options were green or white."

i shrug. "and i gave you my answer. yellow."

harper sighs, but gives in. "fine. light yellow," she says to the nail lady.

i make my way back to the small waiting room and sit down next to the guy again. he glances over at me, eyes curious.

"she make you pick her color?" he questions, as if he already knows.

"yeah," i mumble. "and then got mad when i gave my answer. can you believe that?"

he tilts his head. "you sure you guys aren't dating?"

the thought almost repulses me.

i hardly know her.

"positive," i nod.

and that's the end of that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 52 31
The Hollis household is occupied by half-sisters, who just moved to New Jersey. They quickly find out that they go to the same school as the Dolan Tw...
638 32 30
Two 15 year old girls move to LA to live as free as they can an do crazy things while they're still young. Mackenzie an Paige are both crazy together...
893 32 16
Jordyn Amor is a Senior in High school when she bumps into the popular high school kid, Grayson Dolan. Jordyn Amor wants to focus on studies because...
191 2 10
A girl named Alicia gets a message from her boss about going to her dream place in the whole world Los Angeles California. And she runs into her fav...