They Don't Own Me

By x-mengirl000

Maze Runner fanfic For too long they had control over her. For too long, they took everything from her. They... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Cast List

Chapter 15

1.6K 46 18
By x-mengirl000

"Alby, I think you and Newt should see something."

The Glader leader looked at Ivy for a moment before nodding.

"I'll grab Newt," he said. "We'll meet you at the Map Room."

The two parted ways, Ivy heading back to the Map Room while Alby went to get Newt from the gardens. Ivy stepped into the Map Room and approaching the center table where the model of the Maze was. She put her hands on the table, staring down at the model, only glancing up when she heard Newt and Alby walk in.

"What's up?" Alby asked.

"Take a look at this," Ivy said, motioning to the model.

"It's the Maze model."

"No kidding. But what do you notice about it?"

"It's bigger," Newt said, taking a closer look.

"Almost twice the size that it was before I got stuck in there two months ago," Ivy told them. "We've been able to search the Maze more because we had more people."

"But there's something else, isn't there?" Alby questioned.

"Yeah. Almost half of the progress we've done has been done by Minho."

The boys stared at her.

"Really?" Newt said.

"He's running more of the Maze than I do a day."

"And still gets back here before the doors close." Ivy nodded at Alby's statement. "So what are you saying, Ivy?"

"I'm saying it's time the Runners had a new Keeper."

"What?"

"Minho's the fastest guy in the Glade, faster than me. We've tested it. He's able to go further than any Runner has before and still make it back in time. Someone like that needs to be leading the Runners."

"Are you sure, Ivy?" Newt asked. "I mean you have been the Keeper since we started exploring the Maze."

"I'm sure. With Minho in charge, we may have a chance of getting out of here sooner. I have faith in him, in all the Runners, present and future."

Newt and Alby glanced at one another, both knowing that Ivy would not back down once she made a decision.

"Alright," Alby said. "You've just got to tell him then. And Adam."

"I'll let them know later tonight. Right now, we have a bonfire to get ready for."

~

Ivy smiled as she watched the Gladers. As always, boys were goofing off and hanging out with one another. A few boys provided music with whatever pans they could find. Like every other bonfire, Gally had started up the sparring ring, easily throwing the weaker boys out. The new Greenie had even gone up against him and managed to hold his own for a few minutes, but like the others, he was defeated. Newt and Minho had gone off the watch the fights and talk with a few of the other Gladers, leaving Ivy by herself. She was glad for it though; being alone gave her time to herself to think.

Ivy glanced toward the Maze, faintly hearing the walls changing. When they first started changing, it had been a challenge to map the Maze, but once Ivy realized that they were rotating in a pattern, they were easier to predict. Ivy smiled a little when she remembered that she still had to tell Minho that he was the new Keeper. She had already told Adam, who approved of her choice even though he was a little disappointed she would no longer be the Keeper. But hopefully with Minho in charge, they'd have a better chance of escaping.

Suddenly, a figure plopped down next to Ivy, startling her a little. She looked at the boy, recognizing him as Jackson, last month's Greenie.

"Hey, Ivy," he said.

"Hey, Jackson."

"What are you doing all the way over here? You're missing the party."

"I've just got a lot on my mind right now, that's all."

"You know," Jackson said, slowly moving his arm around Ivy's shoulders. "I bet I could help get your mind off of whatever it is your thinking about."

It was then that Ivy noticed the jar of Gally's secret recipe in Jackson's hand.

"I think not," she said, moving out of his reach and standing up.

"Oh, come on, Ivy," Jackson whined, stumbling to his feet so he could follow her. He grabbed hold of her arm, stopping her. "You sure you won't let me help?"

"Jackson," Ivy said. "I suggest you let go of me."

"It'll cost you a kiss."

"Now, Jackson."

"Please? Just a small one."

"Fine. You want something?"

Jackson smirked and leaned towards her. Ivy ripped her arm away and took a quick step back. Balancing on one foot, she kicked Jackson in the side of the gut. The boy gasped at the force, hunching over. Before he could straighten up, Ivy shoved him back, causing him to trip over a log and drop his drink. Behind her, Ivy could hear the other Gladers stop their celebrating to see what had happened. Jackson stumbled to his feet, shaking his head before looking back at Ivy, sending her another smirk. The girl growled but before she could shove him again, a pair of arms wrapped around her waist.

"Easy there, Ivy," Newt said. "There's no need for that. Just tell us what happened."

"I'm minding my own business when this drunk slinthead comes walkin' over," she replied, motioning to Jackson. "At first I thought he wanted to talk until he tried to get me to kiss him."

The Gladers looked from Ivy to Jackson in shock. Newt's grip loosened on Ivy, letting her pull away from him. With one last glare at the drunken boy, she left the bonfire.

~

Ivy sat with her knees to her chest, looking out over the Glade. Most of the boys were still around the bonfire while a few had chosen to turn in for the night. Ivy sighed, resting her head on her knees as her gaze flickered back to the Maze walls.

"Ivy?" a voice suddenly called from below her. The girl looked over the edge of the tower she was in and noticed Minho looking back at her. He gave her a smile and a wave. "Mind if I come up?"

"Be my guest."

As Ivy returned to her spot, she could hear Minho climbing the tower. A minute later, he was sitting down beside her, their backs resting against a wood pole. Ivy adjusted her position so she sat cross-legged. She reached up for her hair, which had grown down to the middle of her back, and began to braid it. Minho glanced at her as her finger skillfully worked with her brown hair.

"You alright?" Minho asked after a long silence.

"Yeah," Ivy grumbled. "The night could have gone better though."

"Well, you might be happy to know that Jackson is spending the night in the Pit. Alby and Newt were not happy once you left."

"I'm sure they weren't. They tend to be protective of me."

"Even when it comes to the Maze?"

"Especially the Maze. They'd lose it if anything happened to me out there. That's what kept me alive that night; I knew they needed me."

"They aren't the only ones, ya know." Ivy looked at him, waiting for him to continue. "Everyone would miss you. Frypan wouldn't have anyone to cook with, Adam wouldn't know what to do with himself, the Greenies wouldn't get to meet you, even Gally would miss you in some way."

"And what about you? What would you do if I weren't here?"

"You want an honest answer?"

"What, were you going to lie?"

Minho smiled a little, shaking him head.

"I'd probably go crazy. Since I got here, I've always seen you as a friend, someone I could go to if I needed to. I don't know what I'd do... Geez, I can't even imagine the Glade without you. I'd rather die out in the Maze then not have you."

Ivy stared at Minho in shock.

"Are you serious?"

"You did ask for an honest answer."

Ivy smiled slightly, moving closer to him as she took his hand in hers. Minho smiled back at her, his brown eyes flickering briefly to her lips before returning to her eyes. Suddenly, a shout came from below.

"Watch out!" a voice that sounded like Newt cried. "There's a bloody snake in the Glade!"

Ivy chuckled, shaking her head as she backed away from Minho.

"Thanks for ruining the bloody moment, Newt," she said, making Minho laugh. "He's definitely like a brother: funny, protective, and annoying."

Minho laughed again. He removed his hand from Ivy's, only to wrap it around her shoulders and pull her into his side. Ivy smiled and rested her head on his shoulder. The two sat in a comfortable silence for a long time simply enjoying each other's company.

"Oh, I almost forgot!" Ivy said suddenly. "I talked with Alby and Newt earlier today about making a change with the Runners."

"What kind of change?"

"Making you the Keeper of the Runners." Minho's eyes widened in surprise as he looked down at her. "We talked about it earlier today and they agreed. I'll still be around to help and everything but you'll be the one in charge. Adam even agreed."

Minho smiled and side-hugged Ivy.

"I'll do my best," he said.

"I know you will."

"You know, today must be my lucky day. First I find a couple new halls in the Maze, then I become a Keeper and get a girl."

"And who said I wanted to be your girl?" Ivy questioned with a smirk.

"Would you like to be my girl?"

"I'd love to."

It's weird, Ivy thought, smiling. I've felt like I've had these feelings before but that's impossible.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239K 6.9K 45
• Trial One: The Maze • ||𝐆𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐑|| Blake was said to have tamed the vicious robotic creature, Seven. She was granted the nickname...
13.1K 348 26
Second Book to Malevolent Maze "Teresa!" I sat upright after Thomas called out her name. Groggily, I sat up and rubbed my eyes before looking over a...
455K 12.6K 66
"So when did you- you know- fall in love with her?" Thomas smirked, knowing he had him right where I wanted him, with his head in Fionaland. "Woah,"...
156K 4.4K 22
-𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 evelyn manages to get the revenge she deserves, but not without consequences. "𝘿𝙤 𝙞𝙩! 𝙄'𝙢 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙖 𝙠𝙞𝙙 𝙬𝙝𝙤𝙨𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙛...