𝐎𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐬

By Lancaliii

Opposites More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
33.5
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
45.5
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
60.5
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100
Fanart

19

165K 7.8K 14.7K
By Lancaliii

The first event was the obstacle race.

Though the majority of the students competing didn't expect such difficulty for a first trial, you and Shoto were prepared for it all.
Let's just say those years of 12-15 hour days didn't go to waste.

Even with tension radiating between the both of you, it was easy to put it all aside for the sake of winning.

When you wanted something badly enough, falling back into the dynamic of training partners rather than family worked better than anything.

It'd been a while since you'd had to analyze every possible scenario and person around you, but hey, you couldn't say it wasn't the slightest bit exiting when Shoto froze those beasts of machines and you melted the ice to watch them trap your competitors.

Ever since then, the two of you ran beside each other, sure not to leave any opening for a loss.

Wearing your mask and your earpieces, you were able to observe everything, use your senses rather than eyesight, but other than keeping the oxygen in your blood elevated, there wasn't much your quirk would help other than telling Shoto where his blindspots laid.

You and him managed to stay ahead the majority of the race, but unfortunately.
There was such a focus on your own paths, your own win, you forgot that the tension between you two wasn't the only one.

Bakugo caught up eventually.
And when he did, it wasn't without fervor.

"You bastard!" He yelled, flying through the air with his explosions, just passing between you and Todoroki. "Your declaration of war," He said, grabbing Shoto's arm, "was to the wrong person!"

With that, the two of them started going at each other, fighting while simultaneously racing one another.

You were sort of taken aback by it all.

So that's how Bakugo felt, huh?

Since his proclamation to the entire festival that he was going to be the winner, everyone was sort of angry at him for making 1-A a target.

But you guessed that someone who was so determined to come out on top even in simple exercises and mock training in the woods wouldn't give up so easily now.

Actually you were surprised it took him this long to get warmed up.

Of course it cost him to be so focused on obliterating Todoroki.

Because the last person you expected to win the race, soon flew past the lot of you.

And though you'd never admit it, you'd never felt so much pride for someone else before as you watched Midoriya cross the finish line.

Now that the race was over, most of you stood back in the stadium, out of breath, hands on your knees, trying to conserve what energy you had left.

Removing your mask, you tried to take out your earpieces, but sadly the crowd was so loud, once you removed a single one you caught yourself wincing.

You kept your eyes on the scoreboard, waiting for the official rankings to go up.

Izuku ended up in first that much was evident, but with you, Bakugo, and Todoroki all in a mess, it was hard to tell which one of you three came in second.

You didn't really care at this point. All you wanted was for the people in the stands to shut up and make sure you and Todoroki made it to the next round.

"You alright?" Shoto asked, noticing the tick in your face once you put the earpiece back in.

"Mhm," You nodded, standing back up straight and rolling your shoulders.

Rather than ask back, you scanned Todoroki, searched him for any signs of injury or distress.
He was clear of blood and scratches from Bakugo, surprisingly and though he didn't use his left side, you managed to keep his right side from over-cooling earlier so he was fine there. There were a few scuff marks on his neck and his leg looked stiff when he walked. Maybe he'd need your help in the next round if it was too cold, just to make sure he'd catch up to Mydoriya, and--

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"Huh? Yes." You said, shaking your head, refocusing on reality. "The next event, do we have a plan--

"Don't worry about that." He interrupted. "I'll come up with something."

Well that was sort of dismissive.
Even for Shoto.

Usually, he'd talk about it with you, work out a strategy.

But not today.

Today, he crossed his arms and turned to face the scoreboard, waiting for the rankings to pop off like his life depended on it.

Okay. You thought. Well at least the first round is done.

"Stupid Deku."

Flicking your eyes from the scoreboard and to the side, you noticed Bakugo.
In his state of usual bitching and grumbling of course.

Only now, instead of focused and ready like this morning, he was just angry.
Fearful even.
A similar look on his face like that day of the training exercise when him and Izuku went up against each other in that building.

"I should've made sure I left him behind from the start--

"Nice work Boom Boy." You said, loud and clear to interrupt his little panicked soliloquy.

Walking over to him with a skip in your step, you were met with a look of sheer disappointment at your existence.

"Hi there sore loser." You smiled, leaning forward and planting your hands behind your back in a cutesy type of way.

Bakugo frowned.

"Do you want me to hit you?"

"Only if it makes you feel better about yourself." You teased, grinning so wide it was sickening.

"Headset, I'm about a minute away from murdering you AND that little nerd, do you really want that right now!?"

"A minute's a long time." You cooed. "Am I allowed to call you names before my imminent death?"

Bakugo's anger and insults magnified in volume.
He said some things, made some of his little threats, and you swore even his hair got a little bigger as he yelled, but you smiled smugly through it all.
Because hey, at least whatever you were doing was distracting him right?

A loud noise from above that sounded like an announcer bell rang after a few moments, you and Bakugo both looking up to meet it.

The scores on the board lit up in bright blue, showcasing the winners and losers of the first round. All students back from the race unscathed quieted for it, necks craned up to witness the line-up.

As you'd expected; Mydoria in first.

Todoroki, just barely in second.

And right behind him was yours and Bakugo's names.
With the same number tied to both.

After a moment of confusion,
Well you nearly broke down laughing.

"HEH!?" Bakugo screamed, a bit too close to your ear for comfort. "We tied again!?"

Of course you weren't very much bothered by it as you were too busy falling over.

"Are you seriously laughing right now!?"

Both of Bakugo's fists were up, each of them wishing they could fly in your general direction.
Meanwhile, you were laughing so hard your arms were wrapped around your stomach, as you tried to stay on your feet.

Struggling to breath, you managed to usher out, "I'm dying."

"YOU WILL BE IF YOU DON'T SHUT UP!"

But, partly just to spite him, you just kept laughing till the next announcements came on.

Midnight stood up on her stage with her whip and distracting outfit, all of 1-A gathering around.
Looks like your entire class managed to scathe by in the top 40 and make it to the next round.
Shoto and you somehow ended up next to each other again, waiting for the next event to get chosen.

Scanning the competition around you felt Kaminari presence behind you; the little heightened negative charges that bounced around his body. Kirishima too, how his body was always slightly denser to the earth than everyone else's.

Applying the same sort of tactics, you felt everyone around you.

One on one fights were the third round right?
Best figure out how to get Shoto to beat everyone now rather than later.

Finally, Midnight spun her wheel and the Cavalry battle was announced, each of the winners given a certain point value based on your rankings.

You'd need a team. 3-5 people.

Most strategic way would be to pool points.

You 200 to start off with.
Not bad.
Combined with Shoto's that would've made 800.

Poor Mydoriya with 10 Million wouldn't stand a chance if you and Shoto teamed up again.

But looking at the stands, you realized his father was still watching- piercing blue eyes, with flames slightly more agitated than usual.

He wasn't pleased.
Whether it was because you didn't get Shoto to first place in the race or because he didn't use his left side you weren't sure.
Either way the look on his face and the way he crossed his arms looking down at you both, frightened you.

"Why don't we split up this time." You said, Todoroki not noticing the shiver that went down your spine.

He furrowed his brows, confused.

"Look at the stands." You whispered, waiting for him to take a look at his surroundings. "If agencies are going to notice us, it's as a pair."

That was the entire purpose of this festival right?
To get noticed by recruits, get scouted, get noticed. If Todoroki and you were tied to each other, his Endeavor could never claim his son's success was solely his own.

"This is what's best for you." You added, Todoroki shaking his head.

"I don't know how comfortable I am with this." He said, outreaching a hand.

As he spoke, your eyes flicked back up to the figure whose face was becoming increasingly intimidating.

"Just trust me, okay?" You bit out, taking a step away. "Get the ten million points. You just have to win, remember? With or without me."

Todoroki couldn't understand where the sudden reluctant nature in your movements came from.
You were so relaxed only a second ago. So ready to do this, what happened?

Swallowing down a breath, you gave him one last piece of advice.

"I know you had a plan that included me to win this. Remember that if you want to add to your defense Momo and Denki should make for good teammates with your quirk."

"Fine." He said, quiet, serious, taking back the hand he'd offered. "But you better stay in the running."

With that, you both nodded to one another and began walking in opposite directions, looking to form your own little battalions for the next challenge.

***

"Kirishima!" You called, loosening your walk, getting back in a relaxed headspace. "Want to be on my team?"

A tad surprised, the redhead blinked a few times as you approached him/

"Me? Really?" He asked, scratching the back of his head anxiously. He was standing alone near the center of the stadium, wandering just as you were. "What about Todoroki?"

"We thought it was best for us to show we can work separately too." You pat your friend's shoulders a tad patronizingly. "You're strong. I trust you. Plus your quirk makes you pretty much invincible to whatever conditions I can change other than pressure."

Kirishima chuckled awkwardly.

"Oh right, you really thought of everything huh?"

"Nope." You gave him a toothy, 'I don't know what the hell I'm doing' smile. "I have no clue where to go from here."

As your just as hard-up partner was about to offer up some of his own empty ideas, the two of you's attention was caught by a group making rather a lot of noise.

A small hoard of students were crowding around a single person. It seemed like they were offering themselves up, begging even.

Maybe you guys weren't as hard-up as you thought.

"Wait!" You heard a very familiar voice at the center of the commotion. "Remind me what your quirks are again. And your names."

Well those pleads quickly turned offended.

"You're kidding, right! We're your classmates."

"Can you really be that self-absorbed?"

They all started yelling, so suddenly not so keen on teaming up with their resident hothead.

"How come more people aren't asking to be paired with us?" Kirishima asked, cocking his head in confusion like a puppy. "Don't you and Bakugo have the same point value since you tied?"

You hunched your shoulders at him.

"I guess my quirk doesn't look like much since I mostly manipulate elements that aren't visible." You said. "That and since I didn't use it, most of them probably think I was relying completely on Shoto."

"Hah." Kirishima smirked and slapped your back a tad too enthusiastically. "Well then they don't know what's coming for em."

As you gave a little oomph at the pressure and stood back up, you found yourself looking back towards Bakugo.

He was looking at you too, that question you wanted to ask buried beneath pride in both your gazes.

But big surprise.
You both weren't brave enough to ask it.

"It would make sense to team up with Bakugo, if you think about it!" Kirishima said, a hand to his chin as he failed to notice the little wordless exchanges you and Boom boom boy shared.

"Heh?" You asked.

"Think about it. You two both have 200 points which will put us in the lead behind Todoroki, you two trained together, and we need a strong leader right?"

"Hey," you pouted, crossing your arms. "I could be a strong lead... Yeah, okay." You conceited, Kirishima running up ahead of you to where Bakugo still stood surrounded.

"Hey Bakugo!" He yelled, pushing everyone else aside. "Y/n and I are teaming up! I wanted Todoroki too, but he's already got a group."

"Hey dumb hair."

"My name is Kirishima! And my hair's not that different from yours!"

Bakugo made a ruminating sort of sound as if he had to really think about it before accepting.
You suddenly felt the urge to flip him off as he was looking at you when he made it.

"C'mon. You want to be the rider right?" Kirishima asked, facing him head on. "That's exactly what Y/n and I want. You need two strong front horses who won't be hurt by your blasts."

Stepping forward beside Kirishima, you added to the sale's pitch, calling Bakugo's attention with a single sentence, "And can make them stronger."

Raising a brow and scoffing, Bakugo crossed his arms.

"You'd be willing to take orders from me, Headset? What about Icy Hot?"

Right. You thought. He's gonna want to go against Shoto. It doesn't matter. I can handle it.

"You know, I've never actually beaten Shoto at anything." You said, looking around as if you didn't really care, "Unlike you, I wouldn't mind sharing credit for doing it just this once."

Bakugo still held onto his suspicion.
You were strong enough to get the team to first place, he knew that.
But he also knew you might not want it as badly as him.

"Remember our training Katsuki." You continued. "It takes strong offense and defense to make a team. and we both know Kiri and I will make the latter."

Kirishima let out a chuckling breath.

"10 million." He said, putting up his fist, you joining in.

"Bring it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 84 26
𝑊ℎ𝑎𝑡'𝑠 𝑖𝑡 𝑙𝑖𝑘𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒 𝑠𝑎𝑓𝑒? 𝑇𝑜 ℎ𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑦𝑜𝑢...𝑡𝑜 𝑡𝑒𝑙𝑙 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑖𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑓𝑎𝑙𝑙...
142K 3K 74
**GENDER NEUTRAL Y/N** there are a lot of chapters but they're really quick reads <3 ✧༺ ♡༻∞ ❁ ∞༺ ♡༻✧ 🏅 #1 - #animeoneshots 🏅#2 - #mhafanfics 🏅 #3...
2M 62.7K 69
ꗃ 𝐤. 𝐛𝐚𝐤𝐮𝐠𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐝: 𝟎𝟖/𝟐𝟕/𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟏 𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐝: 𝟎𝟏/𝟐𝟑/𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐 !𝐤𝐚𝐭𝐬𝐮𝐤𝐢 𝐱 𝐟𝐞𝐦!𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐫! 𝐝𝐨𝐞𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐟𝐨𝐥𝐥...
8.7K 222 11
˖⁺‧₊˚❀˚₊‧⁺˖ 𝙺𝚊𝚝𝚜𝚞𝚔𝚒 𝙱𝚊𝚔𝚞𝚐𝚘 ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝙾𝚗𝚎𝚜𝚑𝚘𝚝𝚜 Cʀᴏss-ᴘᴏsᴛᴇᴅ ᴏɴ ᴛᴜᴍʙʟʀ Mɪɢʜᴛ ᴄᴏɴᴛᴀɪɴ sᴜɢɢᴇsᴛɪᴠᴇ ᴛʜᴇᴍᴇs ꜰ!ʀᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ ˖⁺‧₊˚❀˚₊‧⁺˖