When The Stars Align

Per prantikawrites

[BLOOD FOR NOATRA; BOOK 1] Vera Carmicheal is not supposed to be the thieving murderer that Noatra fears. She... Més

when the stars align
before
chapter one | crowns and cloaks
chapter two | prisoners and visitors
chapter three | salt to the wound
chapter four | life and death
chapter five | lower your voices
chapter six | it goes downhill from here
chapter seven | home sweet home
chapter eight | what's your emergency?
chapter nine | running through the rooftops
chapter ten | good night, sleep tight, don't let the nightmares bite
chapter eleven | eavesdropping
chapter twelve | morning calls
chapter thirteen | political decisions
chapter fourteen | the ups and downs of falling in love
chapter fifteen | the life of an elementary school dropout
chapter sixteen | unwanted guests
chapter seventeen | the worst is yet to come
chapter eighteen | but syrup is thicker than blood
chapter nineteen | we'll be the stars
chapter twenty | i'll follow you to the graveyard
chapter twenty one | frostbites
chapter twenty two | old photographs
chapter twenty three | fighting f̶i̶r̶e̶ magic with f̶i̶r̶e̶ magic
chapter twenty four | in the dark
chapter twenty five | t - minus six days (till you're eighteen!)
chapter twenty six | ghost of you
chapter twenty seven | the magic within
chapter twenty eight | ansen grey strikes again
chapter twenty nine | green means go
chapter thirty | i love(d) you
chapter thirty one | hey, you
chapter thirty two | roselake
chapter thirty three | the fine art of delivering a baby
chapter thirty five | torture
chapter thirty six | to the bone
chapter thirty seven | relapse
chapter thirty eight | midnight conversations
chapter thirty nine | drawing the line
chapter forty | okay, okay?
chapter forty one | uncovering history
chapter forty two | party crashers
chapter forty three | the calm
chapter forty four | before the
chapter forty five | storm
chapter forty six | queen of noatra
after
author's note + sequel

chapter thirty four | take two

46 8 0
Per prantikawrites

"ARE YOU SURE THAT your gun is loaded?" I asked my brother for the fifth time. He drives slowly into Fox Grove. At this point, I don't care if Ansen knows that we're here. He knows why. I know taking Leo was part of his trap to get me back here. So be it.

But I didn't want Lysander here. I didn't want him to risk his life. He was different - he can die. I can't lose him yet, not after I got him back after so long. I begged him to just drop me off at the edge of the ghost town. But he didn't listen.

I can't lose him. I can't lose him.

"I'm sure, Vera. It's always loaded." That's a kind of terrifying thought, knowing my brother carried a loaded gun around. But it was because of his job. "You can check if you want." He pulls the weapon out from his side compartment.

We were in the forest, and now that I think of it, it wasn't as thin as I thought it was. Maybe I just took the least dense route, and didn't bother to pay attention to the rest of my surroundings. The road is rocky, bumpy, and I had a few jump scares on our trip.

Like my brother insisted, the gun was loaded. I knew I was paranoid. I needed to get over with this. Find Leo, then run back to the car and get home. That was the plan. I knew that Leo was here, he had to be here. Leo is bait, I'm the real catch. He wouldn't go anywhere I didn't know of.

Right?

And then I see the clearing of the abandoned town, with no one to be seen as of now. "Stop here," I told my brother, and before he put the car in park, I got out. I heard Lysander kill the engine, stepping out.

I looked around the area. I knew there was something here, I'm sure I put something here. I turned over one of the stones. Bingo. I grabbed the silver throwing knives and began to hide them on my body. There was also some spare ammunition, which I tossed to Lysander.

"You just hide weapons in the forest?" My brother asked, pocketing the bullets. He pays more attention to the knives. "Funny how you were known for your knife skills, but this is the first time I'm seeing you use it."

I bit my lip, walking towards the town. Lysander stayed close behind. "I don't like using them." He was right though - I was known for my knife skills. Most people I killed were stabbed, with a blade going straight through their chest. I never ended up taking the knife back, it ended up kind of being my mark.

It's still daylight. I already know this is a mistake on my part. I should've waited until night fell to even suggest we head towards Fox. But the faster I got my nephew back, the less time it is that my sister's at home, worrying about her child. I still couldn't get her sobs out of my memory.

"We go in, we get Leo, we get out, okay?" I repeat to my brother. I lower my voice as we head towards the town. Someone was going to be here. Someone is waiting for me.

"I heard you the first four times, Vera," Lysander said, his voice as low. "I don't want to be here as much as you want to."

"Then why are you here?" I asked. "I told you I could handle it. I told you I could do it on my own."

"You're my sister," he argued. "I'm not letting you face that son of a bitch alone."

It was most definitely the wrong time, but I snickered. "You just called Queen Regan a bitch." Lysander shot me a glare. Right, we have something to do. Suddenly I'm the one taking this seriously.

We stepped into the town, eyes open for anything... off. I knew where I was heading - there was only one appropriate place to hold someone hostage, and Atticus and I visited hat place only a couple days ago. I just didn't want to run into anyone and cause too much trouble.

Lysander has his gun out and I pull out one of my knives. Now that I think of it, if Ansen was still able to use his powers, then that probably would be his go to for attack or defense. I didn't know what powers he would have. Would it just be the powers of Coronam? Or, since he was born in Noatra, would he be a wildcard, like me. Or maybe he has the powers of the amulets he had... which was still a terrifying thought, because he had three.

It would be a risk having the amulet on me, so I didn't keep it with me. Maybe that's why I felt faint when using magic - but no, they should have just been a power sink, where I gain my powers.

Stop it, Vera. You're overthinking.

I check all the possible hiding spots, which I knew my heart. It was easy for me to spot anyone when I was walking, a skill I picked up quickly. "Coast is clear for now, but keep your gun out."

It was suspicious, I know it is. I turned around and began to head towards the town hall, before Lysander stops me. "Vera, no. Wait."

"It's all clear, Lys." I turn around. My brother didn't agree with my statement.

He looked around, and now he was paranoid. But then again, maybe I was missing something. Lysander fought us before. He planned attacks against us and nearly won... often. Maybe I should be listening to him.

"You need three knives, Vera. I know you have way better aim than me, so you are going to listen to me, okay?" My brother glances around, behind me. As far as I could tell, there was no one besides us in the town, but even I knew it was too good to be true. "Seven, four and eleven o'clock, trust me. Right... now."

My brother moves out of the way as I throw one knife in front of me, two behind. I never had to worry about accuracy, the knifes ending up where I meant them to go. Now that I think of it, maybe I did use magic. Maybe there was a bit of guided telekinesis for each knife I threw.

I see the first victim, eleven o'clock. He just stepped out of whatever hiding spot I missed - or maybe I glanced at it too quickly. I was losing my senses, my confidence in what I knew about my secret life.

I hated that.

The man had had a gun, but as soon as he raised it up, in goes the knife into his hand. The timing couldn't have been more perfect.

I turn back around, where I threw the two other ones. One stuck out of someone's chest, the other out of a man's shoulder. One dead, two injured, but still very capable of harming us, or at least, radioing Ansen that I was here.

Lysander grabs my arm. "If someone is expecting your arrival, you never assume that the coast is clear. Understand?" I nod as he pulls me away from where we were standing, and towards our goal. I keep my eyes on the injured.

"Aren't you going to kill them?"

But I already knew the answer - of course he wouldn't. That's the one condition he had when King Pheon asked him to be Captain. Lysander Carmicheal swore to not kill someone if they weren't a direct threat to his safety or the safety of someone he loved.

"Are you at least going to try and find a hiding place within the buildings?" I asked my brother. He stopped in his tracks, looking around. He set up his gun, getting ready.

"You yourself know that they're hiding in the shadows," Lysander said, looking around. "It's dangerous, being on this side of the battle. I know that. You've hardly been on this side, maybe if you had a couple more years with Dad."

He aimed his gun to one of the rooftops. Wait, was I wrong about the killing part? He fired a bullet. Two. There was a large thump as the body fell on the roof, then stumbled on the ground.

"I thought you didn't kill."

"He'll be paralyized, most likely. I know what angles to hit people at."

"Are we in the clear now?" I asked Lysander. I'm scared. I'm actually scared right now.

He looked around. "Vera, start running towards the town hall. I'm right behind you."

My eyes grew wide. He didn't just suggest that he did not just think I'm going to leave him. "No, absolutely not. I'm staying with you or you're coming with me, I'm not leaving you ten steps behind me."

"Vera, behind you!" I turn around immediately, grabbing the small blade hidden on my back. I didn't think twice before throwing the knife, and apparently the target didn't think twice before catching it while it was spinning through the air. The man grinned at the weapon, then tossed it aside.

"It's nice to see you again, Vera," Ansen smirked. I took a couple steps back, my heart beginning to pound. "I'm sorry I missed you last time, I didn't realise you were going to visit." His golden eyes focused behind me. "And you brought the Captain with you this time, what a treat. You can learn a lot from him, you know."

I don't say anything. I needed to plan my - our - escape. I wanted to glance back to make sure Lysander was still there, but I didn't dare break eye contact with Ansen. I didn't know what he would do if I turned around.

"What? Cat's got your tongue?" Ansen asked. He didn't move. "You forgot how to speak, love?"

"Where's Leo?" I asked between gritted teeth. "And don't you dare ask who he is, because I know you know who he is, and I know he's here."

Ansen raised an eyebrow. "You know this place well, Vera. I'm sure you know exactly where he is. As for giving him back... I'm afraid that's not going to be happening, love."

I clench my last knife, my hand shaking. I can't waste it on him, because I know he can dodge it easily. Ansen waits for me to say something, anything. He doesn't look afraid as he waits for my response - I mean, it's only a little girl, barely eighteen, and her older brother, with no back up whatsoever. As we speak, I know we should be running. The rest of his gang surrounded us.

"I'm not here to fight you, Vera," Ansen assured. But he wanted something else. He wanted me back.

"Last I checked, you didn't want me to fight with you, so I assumed I was fighting against you, now."

He pursed his lips. "Grab the brother."

I turned around swiftly as soon as the words left his mouth. Lysander jumped in to action, at leats not making his capture easy. The first person that came his way was kicked in the jaw. Dad taught him to fight, how to use his fists and his feet. But he needed back up. He needed me. The gun wouldn't last forever.

So why am I standing back, watching?

"Let go of him," I gritted. "Don't you dare let someone touch my brother."

Ansen Grey stands beside me now. He doesn't move to attack me, grab me, or harm me in any way. Why am I not moving to help my brother?

"No, Vera."

I go for the kick, into his chest. He grabs my ankle, but I don't let him hold on for too long, stabbing the knife into his arm, then pulling it back out after he lets go of me. He goes for a punch, but I dodge. We're in a heated battle - fists against fists. There were no weapons after Ansen kicks my last knife out of my hand. That's better than keeping the knife in his arm, because at least he didn't have a weapon.

At one point, I'm able to breathe. Ansen takes a step back, his eyes still on me. I wipe my nose, my black coloured blood staining my hand.

"It doesn't have to be like this, Vera," Ansen heaved. "All you have to do is come back."

I shook my head. The sun was going down, and so was my energy levels. I was already getting sick, and the fact that I'm managing to keep up with a six-foot-five man who probably weighed a hundred pounds of muscle more than me, and who was at least twenty years older than me - this was insane.

I took a split second to look back at Lysander. I heard gunshots and I there were bodies now on the ground. My brother took a second to wipe the blood off his lips, and that was a wrong move.

Damien joined the fight. He kicked the weapon out of my brother's hand, grabbing it as it flew through the sky. "SHIT!" I heard my brother yell. I watch as Damien takes the hilt of the gun, hitting Lysander on the back of his head, knocking him out.

"NO!" I yell, and when I process what happened, I realise the mistake I made.

Ansen has his giant hands around my throat. I screech, trying to make him let go. But he finds the pressure spot, and I know what's coming.

The world turns dark.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

182 23 31
*Disclaimer* Colorful language, and mention of emotional abuse. Chapter 1-4 edited by @Whoismybiasman ...
17.6K 670 27
TEASER: "No fiancée of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...
68 14 27
Princess Vera doesn't exactly love her husband, but she certainly doesn't want him running off! She chases after him but he has mysteriously disappea...
34.9K 5.9K 188
Celeste's life is far from the enchanting fairy tale one might expect from a princess. Her father, a ruthless and self-absorbed king, leaves a trail...