Coming Home To You

By Burge2k14

Book #3 in the Soulmate Series Ashlyn is a geneticist, helping a hunter organization to study the supernatura... More

Copyright
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Epilogue
The Soulmate Series

Chapter 16

3.1K 157 39
By Burge2k14

Her POV

Three Months Ago

"We need to go in and get him!" I plead with Alpha Jacob.

"How?" he asks, frustrated with the same conversation we've been having for days, "We have no idea where they are holding him."

"We send someone in to join them," I tell him. He opens his mouth to argue, but I cut him off before he can say anything, "We just killed their lead scientists during the attack on Phoenix. I did some research on them and one of them is a geneticist, like me."

I place the file in front of him. He reads over the paperwork for a second before it clicks in his mind what I just told him, "You want me to send you in."

"Yes!"

"Not a chance. Phoenix would kill me if I sent his soul to the people holding him captive."

"It's the only way. I'm the only one qualified in the right field."

"You're eight months pregnant!"

"And if I do nothing, this baby will grow up without any parents at all!" I scream. At my outburst, his face falls as a sadness takes over his features, "If they kill him, I die too. Our baby won't have either of us. Please Alpha."

"It doesn't have to be you," he tries.

"They test for wolf genes, so none of the pack can go in. None of the human mates are qualified and even if they were, the mating mark is too visible," I argue, "I can hide my soul mark under a lab coat and if anyone does see it, I can claim its a tattoo."

He shakes his head, "I don't like this. Phoenix wouldn't want you to put yourself in danger."

"Well he's not here, so he doesn't get a vote ."

His lips lift in a small smirk at my sass-filled tone, "I'm assuming you have a plan."

I nod in answer before I dive into what is going to happen over the next month, "I need you to stage a car accident. We can use one of the cadavers from the university lab. Slice up the car so it looks like wolves attacked it and killed the man inside. I'm going to come forward and claim him as my husband."

"How are you going to get the sign-off?"

"Peggy, Jared's mate, works at the hospital. She will make sure cause of death is suspicious with unfamiliar DNA found. Over the next month, I'm going to publish a few papers about supernaturals."

"That might discredit you completely," he tells me.

"But it will put me on their radar. Geneticists aren't easy to come by, especially ones who are willing to believe in werewolves. It should be enough to get an offer."

"You still have a pretty big problem in your plan," he tells me as he looks down at my large stomach.

"My due date is only five weeks away," I tell him, "I'm going to work with Peggy to publish the papers until I go into labor. By the time my daughter is born, the hunters should be looking at me as a potential candidate."

He leans back in his chair as he reads over the file with everything I just told him. Minutes pass in silence as he tries to make a decision.

"I would like to point out that I don't need your permission," I tell him. His head jerks up and he stares down at me from across the desk, "I'm not one of your pack members. I'm only here asking for your help because Phoenix trusted you. I'm going to do this with or without you."

He sighs as he throws the file onto his desk, "I can't talk you out of this?"

"Could I? If it was your mate?" I argue.

"Fine," he finally agrees, "Let's do it."

*****

Six Weeks Ago

I lay back against the hospital bed as my contraction finally subsides.

"How's the mommy to be doing?" a light voice calls out from the door. Her blonde hair is pulled back in a ponytail as her small frame is covered in pink scrubs.

"Luna," I smile as she walks into the room, her smile lighting up the place, "You made it."

"Of course I did," she says as she takes the seat to my left.

The seat to my right staying empty. I feel a pain in my heart at the reason for it not being filled.

"You're going to get Phoenix back," she tells me, squeezing my hand gently to bring my eyes back to her, "I know you will."

"We published the last of the papers two weeks ago, and I still haven't heard anything," I tell her.

"You have now," she tells me. I give her a confused look before another contraction screams through my body. After about thirty seconds, the pain recedes again, "The hunters sent a message to the email we had set up. They want to recruit you."

"It worked?" I ask, feeling joy at possibly finding Phoenix.

"It worked," she says, "Jacob told me that once this is all over, you'll be heading to the lycan pack," she frowns, sad as our growing friendship is now going to be hundreds of miles apart.

"Phoenix and I had talked about it," I gently tell her, "I stopped aging a few years ago. I only have a few more years before people would start to take notice. Phoenix and I decided that when our daughter is born, we would leave."

"I'm going to miss you, Ash," slow tears roll down her cheeks.

"I'll miss you too, Luna."

She rolls her eyes as she laughs lightly, "Are you ever going to just call me Zea?"

"Probably not," I laugh before I start screaming as another contraction hits. The pain takes over as I squeeze her hand as hard as I can. When the pain stops, I turn back to her, "Is Phoenix's cousin here?"

"Roman and his soul just got to the pack. They'll be here soon. They will protect her," she tells me as a group of doctors walk into the room. One of them checks my vitals as another checks the baby's progress.

"It looks like its time to push," she tells me.

A dozen giant pushes later and my daughter is born into the world. The doctors clean her off before placing her into my arms.

The second I hold her, I fall completely in love with her. She's so small and soft as she lays quietly in my arms. Her eyes are still closed, but her little fingers reach up as if she can sense me there.

"What's her name?" Luna asks me.

I smile, my eyes never leaving my daughter, "Ella Marie."

*****

Two Weeks Ago

The phone rings into my ear as I wait for Alpha Jacob to answer. Knowing my window is closing, I tap my foot impatiently against the ground.

"Is everything set?" he asks the second he picks up. After being two weeks undercover with the hunters and getting these phone calls, he doesn't even bother with pleasantries anymore.

"I have a copy of the building's layout," I tell him.

"Good. Did you get the mugs?" he asks. I look down at the half a dozen travel mugs he had sent to me. Each one identical and each one carrying a bomb hidden inside.

"Yes. I'll start planting them tomorrow."

"Have you seen Phoenix?" he asks.

"Not yet," I tell him, "I can feel him close, but I-" My voice cracks as I try to finish my thought, but I just can't make the words out.

"If you can feel him there, then he is. Trust your bond," he tells me.

Wiping away at the tear that strayed down my cheek, I push down my feelings, "I saw that a lycan is scheduled to fight this week. Once I get eyes on him, I'll figure out a way to give him the potion."

"Alright. Once you can counteract any wolfsbane or silver from his system, he'll be strong enough to get out of the cell," he tells me, "Then we can attack and destroy that facility. Did you find the correct dosage yet to counteract the effects of the drugs they are giving the shifters?"

"I think so. The wolf I tested was able to talk to his wolf. I'm hoping to start getting the herbs to everyone soon. I'll call you tomorrow with an update," I tell him.

"Good luck, Ash and stay safe," he says before he hangs up.

I look down at the coffee mug in my hand.

I'll find you Phoenix. I'm going to bring you home.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 257 32
Shaun is a lycan that recently discovered his extended lost family. And is not living with them. And then he found his soulmate a wolf that gets jeal...
38.8K 1.2K 44
Well doesn't everyone want to meet their soulmate, that one person who is made just for them... Crystal has always believed in the term 'soulmates'...
529K 16.7K 46
For years, Aaliyah has been a test subject. Poked, prodded, and cut open for over four years, Aaliyah has wanted nothing more than to escape her hell...
47.5K 2.3K 40
(3RD BOOK OF BLACKBLOOD SERIES) Ashira and her younger twin by five minutes had a relatively easy life, protected by their pack and families all but...