The Last Colony

By StoryTellerByFire

The outbreak at Pax was lethal. Within hours the entire western seaboard was overtaken. Within a week; the... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57

Part 43

429 39 15
By StoryTellerByFire

As the adrenaline rush left Sean, the pain set in. His leg and shoulder were still bleeding from the bullet wounds and his back felt like it was on fire. Leaning against the door, Sean panted out softly. "Zero... I don't feel good." Chica whined next to him trying to lick his cheek to cheer him up. Zero took a hand off the wheel to put to his forehead. Pulling his hand back, he told Sean uneasily. "You're too warm. I'll crank up the air conditioner, but I can't stop Sean... I need you to hold on." Sean nodded, but he was drifting. Zero snapped his fingers, loudly ordering Sean. "Hey! Sit up! Don't you pass out on me! Here." Zero quickly unfastened his belt, yanking it off to give to him as he told him. "Put that around your leg. Synch it tight to stop the bleeding." Sean wrapped his fingers around the belt, but when he tried to really grab it... his wounded shoulder flared, and he dropped it. Zero cursed, slamming on the breaks. Shifting to look at Sean's wounds, he told him with a wince. "Oh shit... You're bleeding a lot. Hang on."

Zero opened the glove box, removing the little first aid kit to toss on the dash. Picking up his belt, Zero quickly tightened the belt around Sean's thigh. Sean jerked with a scream at the pain, punching the ceiling with his good arm. Zero shushed him, calmly informing him. "I've got to get the bullet out... and you're not going to like it." Zero opened the first aid kit, pulling out sterilizing wipes and scissors. Cutting the hole around the wound to expose it, Zero wiped down the dirty bloody wound in order to see. Taking long tweezers, Zero gently tried to part the skin to see inside. Sean clawed at the ceiling with his shackled wrists, groaning loudly. When Zero removed the bullet, he told Sean in a serious voice. "Alright. That's done... but this is the part you won't like. Zero removed a gun from his hip and popped open the barrel to retrieve a bullet shell. Sean blinked, stammering out. "Wait... W-What are you d-doing, Zero?" Zero removed pliers from under the seat and broke off the end of the bullet shell, answering coolly. "Relax. I've done this before." Removing the bullet, Zero spilled the gun powder into the wound.

Zero surprised Sean by quickly putting a firm hand over his mouth to pin him back against the seat. Sean didn't move until he saw Zero remove a lighter from his pocket and flicked it on. Sean muffled out a scream as Zero told him in a rush. "Sean, stop! I have to! I have to stop it from bleeding!" Zero touched the flame to the powder and Sean arched back with a barely muffled scream. A flame sparked over his leg and Sean felt it sear his flesh. When he settled down, Zero wrapped his leg up. Sean panted heavily, pleading with Zero as he pulled what remained of his shirt off. Zero gave him a grim look, saying softly. "Just one more time." Sean shook his head, but Zero didn't wait for him. Sticking the tweezers in, Zero hunted for the bullet like a butcher. Sean clawed the truck door, weakly pleading out. "Zero... Stop! Please!" After Zero determined that the other bullet had passed through him, he reluctantly reassured him. "I can't. We've got a few miles to go. You'll never make it if you keep bleeding. I'm sorry..." Zero leaned away to remove another bullet and Sean huddled himself into the corner.

Zero came back to pour the powder, but Sean shoved him back. Zero groaned, warning him seriously. "Don't make this harder, Sean. This is the last time." Sean shook his head, snapping out. "Stay away from me!" Zero quickly straddled Sean, pressing a finger to the wound to stop Sean from hitting him. Pouring the powder into the wound, Zero removed his lighter and Sean screamed. Chica let out a menacing growl, biting Zero's shoulder. Zero yelled out in pain but forced himself to light the powder. With one last scream as the pain blinded him, Sean passed out. When Sean awoke, he was laying across the seats of the truck with Chica laying around his legs. Her head was braced up on his hips and she whined when he stirred. Petting her, he stiffly sat up to see Zero outside. Zero had his shirt off and was stitching a fresh wound on his shoulder up. Wincing as he slipped from the truck, he limped over to the stump that Zero was sitting on. Zero saw him approaching and asked him gently. "How are you feeling?" Sean hugged himself with his good arm, noticing that his dirty chest was wrapped up in bandages now. Biting his lip, he said guiltily. "I'm sorry... I know you were just trying to help."

Zero chuckled, continuing to stitch himself up as he replied nicely. "It's fine. I'm not a doctor... So, I'm sure it was unpleasant." Sean chuckled, inching closer as he asked him. "What happened to your shoulder?" Zero finished off the last stitch, then pointed to Chica. Chica was still laying across the seats with big puppy eyes peering at them from between her paws. When Sean looked back, Zero chuckled out. "She didn't like that I was hurting you, I guess. Got a good bite into my shoulder... but I'll be alright." Looking around, Sean asked him curiously. "How long was I out?" Climbing to his feet, Zero dusted himself off and answered. "About an hour. Maybe two. Come on. We should keep moving before it gets dark." Sean reached out to touch Zero's arm with his fingers, timidly saying aloud. "Zero... Thank you. Really. I..." Zero turned and wrapped an arm around his collared neck to pull him into a hug. Sean hugged him with his good arm, listening to Zero warmly tell him. "Don't sweat it, Laddy. I got your back." Zero pulled away, heading to the truck. Petting Chica's head, Zero gestured her back to help Sean get in.

Once they were back in, Zero pulled a bottle from under the seat to give to him. Sean chuckled, looking over the unopened Jack Daniels bottle. Zero winked, smirking out. "For the pain. I wasn't doing nothing while you were locked up." Sean opened the bottle, taking a swig before chuckling out. "So, you were stealing supplies and stashing them in the trucks?" Zero blushed, admitting guiltily. "Yes... After Mari left with Mark, I got to work unloading the RV and started putting everything in this truck. I hated leaving the RV behind... but I always plan for the worst. Something told me we might only be able to leave with one truck. So, I trusted my gut. Stole supplies and waited for a chance. Did not go according to my plan... but it worked out." Sean took another swig, pointing to Chica to ask. "Where was she?" Zero pet Chica's back, saying swiftly. "With me. After you were taken, her care and the horses fell to me. I pulled strings with Conquest and he let me do what I wanted with them."

Sean rested his head on the back of the seat, purring out as the alcohol soothed him. "I was wondering what you were up to. I was worried you were going to leave me behind." Zero smirked at him, playfully teasing out. "Now why would I do that? This is my chance to steal you from Mark. Being heroic and saving your life. And all that." Sean chuckled to himself, mumbling out nicely. "It is awfully tempting..." Sean's eyes lowered to the seat as his mind drifted to happier times playing games with Mark. His missed Mark's laugh. Zero's fingers ran through his bangs, comforting telling him. "We'll find him. Until then, you should get some rest. We still have a few miles to go." Sean laid down across the seats, resting his head by Zero's leg. Zero kept his eyes on the road and started singing softly in Gaelic to break the silence. Sean smirked to himself, thinking about Mark's deep singing voice. Chica laid over him like a blanket and the combination between them put him to sleep.

As the sun began to set, the truck slowed and woke Sean. From outside a man's voice yelled out. "Who are you?! What do you want?! Let me see those hands!" Zero raised his hands up past the wheel, calling out his open driver window. "My name is Zero. We're seeking shelter and our friends." The man approached the side, allowing Sean to only see the barrel of a gun pointed at Zero as the man firmly barked out. "How many of you are there? Are you armed?" Zero kept his hands up, truthfully answering. "Just me and my friend here. The rest are animals. One dog and three horses. And yes, we are." The man's gun jerked slightly, upon telling Zero seriously. "Tell your friend to show me his hands." Zero looked down and Sean raised his hands up as high as he could. The door opened, causing Sean to flinch and close his eyes meekly.  The man looked them over closely, then pointed to Sean and asked Zero curiously. "Why is he shackled and bloody? Is he bitten?" Zero shook his head, answering promptly. "No. He was a prisoner. He's bloody cause he was shot, but I took care of him." The man grabbed Zero by the arm, yanking him out to take him to the trailer as he commanded. "Open it. Let me see what's inside." When he finished the inspection, the man gestured them out. Zero helped Sean out, letting him lean on him. Sean did his best not to look directly at any of them. 

Sean hoped that the fading light would help hide his white eyes. His black veins were mostly covered in dirt and dried blood. The man gestured them toward the gates, telling them coolly. "We'll take the vehicle in. You two head to quarantine. Go on." Chica hoped down from the truck to follow them and the man gave her fowl look. Sean expected him to take Chica, but he didn't. They were escorted through the gates, where men in hazmat suits blocked them off from the rest of the town. They gestured them toward a hangar, when the man escorting them called out. "Kenny! They've got a truck with horses. You wanna bring that in and get those horses checked out?!" Zero slowed in his walking and Sean blushed. Sean could tell right away what Zero was thinking. Kenny was handsome... and shirtless. Kenny finished splashing himself with water from a barrel, snapping out. "I'm on break. Get Carl to do it." The man groaned and pointed outside, yelling out. "NOW KENNY!" Kenny threw the washcloth into the barrel, snapping out. "FINE! As if this heat wasn't bad enough! You cock sucking loach!" Sean lowered his eyes from Kenny's impressive six pack abs, just as a familiar voice called out. "KENNY! WAIT!"

Sean jerked his head up to the sound of Mari's voice. Kenny slowly turned, asking a little heated. "Oh, what now?!" Mari tripped in the middle of her run, tackling Kenny to the ground and causing the men around them to laugh. Kenny groaned, sitting up as he asked with concern. "Mari? What the hell? Are you ok?" Mari panted heavily, trying to take deep breaths between gasps. "Kenny... I need your help. You can't leave..." Before she could tell Kenny anything, Zero called out. "MARI?!" Mari took a sharp breath as she looked up and called out. "Zero?!" The second she saw them, she sprang to her feet, accidently kicking Kenny in the balls as she rushed to the line of hazmat men. Slamming into the men as they held her back, she called out in both fright and excitement. "Zero! Sean! You're ok!" Zero released Sean to go to her, but a man stopped him, stating out. "Until you go through quarantine, you can not interact with her. Now go on!" Zero moved back to take Sean's arm, helping him limp toward the hangar as he called out. "It's ok, Mari! We'll talk soon!"

Mari looked so scared that Sean's heart twisted up. Now that he was here, he was starting to recall something about this place. Upon being shoved into the hangar, Sean swallowed and mumbled out to Zero. "Oh, shit... Mark's in trouble here... Zero, we aren't safe here!" Zero stopped, looking at him as he asked with concern. "What do you mean?" Sean started to answer but stopped himself as a man told them sternly. "Remove all your clothes and bandages and put them in the basket." Zero began to strip himself down, then helped Sean removed his clothes and bandages. The hazmat man broke off Sean's shackles and collar with bolt cutters. Then coaxed them toward the showers as he ordered them. "Feet on the yellow footprints." Standing on the footprints, Sean nervously asked the man without looking at him. "What happens now?" The hazmat man chuckled, answering smugly. "Now we wash you." Sean locked his jaw before both him and Zero screamed from the sudden freezing thick white liquid that was tossed over them from more hazmat people that stood behind them with buckets.

Back in the gazebo, Mark tried really hard not to breathe. He couldn't see what Nate was doing, but he could hear them. Guards came in, asking Nate coolly. "Where did the woman go?" Nate chuckled, smugly huffing out. "What woman?" Mark clenched his jaw. One of the guards, spoke up saying sternly. "I'm not playing around. We have a man on the loose and newcomers at the gate. Everyone needs to be accounted for! She couldn't have left this room!" Nate's voice was so confident and collected as he said. "She left. One of the other guards that was passing by opened up the door to let her out. She dropped off my laundry and then she went home." Someone kicked the bed, growling out. "Ya? What's this lump you are laying on?" Nate sat up a little, snapping back. "My laundry! Do you not hear well?" One of the guards huffed out dryly. "Strange way to treat your laundry." Nate was quick on the draw as he shot back. "You ever laid on these cots? They are horrible! So, forgive me for trying to make it comfortable, asshole."

Mark felt the covers move by his feet and tensed. The guard then chuckled out. "You wear black lacey underwear, do you?" Mark bit his lips, trying hard not to laugh. Nate didn't miss a beat as he shot back. "Fuck you! Those were a gift. Give me those!" The guards laughed, until a familiar voice called out. "Something wrong, guys?" The guard's attitudes changed a bit as one answered softly. "Kenny? What are you doing here?" Kenny moved into the gazebo, replying lightly. "To get you two. I need you to bring in a truck from outside, Carl. I'd do it myself, but something came up." The guards made their way out as one told him in passing. "She's in there. Get her out." The door closed, before Kenny casually stated aloud. "Alright. Fun is over. Get up, Mark." Nate moved off of him, asking curiously. "You know Mark?" Mark sat up, flipping the blanket down as he interjected. "More importantly. How did you know that I was here but not them?" Kenny raised an eyebrow, smirking out. "Because I tracked you here from the hotel. While they rely on this crap." Kenny tossed a small device onto the cot. Mark picked it up to see little dots with tags around the compound. However, his dot was blocked by Nate's tracker whenever he was close.

Mark chuckled, handing it back as he told him in a rush. "Alright, Kenny. Get these trackers off and help us escape!" Kenny gave them both a reluctant look before saying. "You might want to wait on that... See, I got a message from Mari. She told me to tell you that Sean and Zero are here?" Mark shot off the bed, flashing Kenny by accident as he blurted out. "Where?!" Kenny pointed, answering grimly. "Quarantine. And you should know that-" Mark cracked his knuckles, grumbling out before he could finish. "He'll be stuck in a fourteen day quarantine waiting period... FUCK!" Mark kicked the cot so hard that it flipped over. Nate let out a deep sigh, then asked cautiously. "Alright... Plan B, anyone? What do we do while we wait?" Kenny pointed to their ankles, uttering out softly. "I get those off and take you someplace no one will look for you. I've got a bunker house. It's not perfect but it will keep you safe and out of sight." Nate clapped his hands, happily stating out. "Great! How do we get there without being seen?"

Mark casually turned to face Nate as Kenny curled his lips to suppress his blushing smile. Nate stiffened, pleading out. "No. Please, god no... Anything but that!" Kenny shrugged, gesturing to Mark as he told him honestly. "Well, it works. No one will think twice about me escorting women back to my house..." Nate crossed his arms, snapping out dryly. "Really? You normally walk around with butch women hanging on your arms?" Kenny blinked slowly, then coolly answered. "I get chased down the streets by all types of women. I don't judge and they don't judge me." Mark yanked out a purple velvet dress with lots of gothic looking buckles from under the covers on the floor, chuckling out. "So, Malibu Barbie... What's your poison?" To Be Continued...     

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23K 1.8K 32
"Are you coming with me or not?" "To where? Where are we going to go, Magnus? We're in the middle of the goddamn zombie apocalypse. Everyone we know...
169 33 13
Survival had never been hard for Harley, sure it came with a new set of struggles but ones that she mastered easily. Until now that is. Things start...
3.1K 118 74
{Completed Story 2018/Continued Series} Book 1: It's been twenty-seven years from now on, an outbreak occurred, causing millions of people dying from...
1.3K 170 35
{Book Three of the Apocalypse Series} In a world where the dead roam the land, it's up to those who've survived to make something for themselves, or...