Tempting Darkness [17+] ✔

By Daydream1011

Copyrighted 2020 **Book 1 in the Darkness Series!** **Completed!** *Under construction* There was a cre... More

Under Construction!
**Warning!**
Description
Preface
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 -M
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 20

25.1K 1.1K 199
By Daydream1011

Hey guys! I'm trying to get this story out as fast as possible to get back into the HFR flow, but I need two different mindsets for both! I'm still trying to write a few chapters ahead but I wait any longer! 

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 20

       Adriel and I decided to disband that whole one-time-thing. Even though it's been nearly five days and we haven't slept together since that night. I'm not sure who was waiting on who, but I was too prideful to walk up to him and just be all like 'I want sex', and I'm sure he just wanted the satisfaction of having me make the first move.

       Though, in retrospect, I was the one that started all of this.

       Despite the whole no-sex-again thingy, we didn't go back to being completely platonic. Every once and while, when Raf wasn't looking, Adriel would squeeze my ass when he walked by, or trace that hand slowly around my waist. I would shoot him angry glares and tell him to stop every time, even though something in my stomach fluttered whenever he did. He would just chuckle, then slap my ass for emphasis. Freaking jerk.

       One time, over the weekend, when I was in the kitchen doing the dishes, he even attacked me. Well, not really, but it makes me feel better saying that.

       I had been scrubbing a plate clean when those strong sneaky hands suddenly circled around my waist and slipped under my shirt. Then he licked my neck. Like straight up licked my neck and nipped at my jaw. I was so surprised that I dropped the plate and it shattered in the sink. He only pulled away when Raf came in at the noise.

       I watched my back after that. I couldn't allow anymore sneak attacks when his sister was in the next room. Even though I think Dri only did all of that because he loved the reaction it got out of me. Ass hole.

       There were a couple of cute moments too. Like a few hidden kisses, or little neck massages when we were all sitting on the couch watching TV. I wasn't sure if Raf would even care that her brother and I were 'touchy' now, but I wasn't going to risk ruining her little nine-year-old mind.

       It was Monday when it finally sank in that Dri and I were... Well, that there really was a 'Dri and I'. We weren't like a couple, or dating, or anything. At least, we didn't talk about that, but I knew he was the only man that I wanted. I couldn't even swoon over the shirtless guys playing flag football in the campus park anymore without comparing them to him—and how much better he would look out there instead.

       I had no idea what he thought about me, just that he liked us sleeping together and liked squeezing my ass. He did promise he would never leave though, so I guess that was a good sign.

       "You look good!" River announced when I finally walked into Shorzin's class and sat beside him.

       I raised an eyebrow at the look in those wide hazel eyes. "Why do you sound so surprised?"

       "You just seem so down in the dumps lately, but now you're like glowing."

       I tore my gaze to my laptop I set up on the foldaway desktop. "I just had a good weekend." A great weekend actually. I always felt better after spending time with Raf and Adriel.

       "Good morning class!" Shorzin announced as he walked into the room, decked out in his usual khaki shorts and floral button down. "No lecture today! You're going to be picking the topics for you papers and can use the rest of class time to start creating your outlines." The happy murmurs that filled the room when the professor announced we wouldn't have to take notes died away at the mention of the paper.

       Ugh, the last thing I needed was a stupid paper to write.

       Shorzin put a list of topics we could choose from up on the board if someone couldn't think of any themselves, and I picked the easiest one I saw. 'How does the environmental setting of Deshua effect the 'mystical atmosphere' according to legend?' At least I could just Google a bunch of shit for that. And it was the closest topic away from that god-awful fallen angel bull shit that I could find.

       River didn't share my disdain. He decided to dive headfirst into all that unnerving nonsense. "I'm going to find that girl." He whispered excitedly as the sound of fingers typing and quiet muttering filled the lecture hall. I slanted my eyes towards his, not agreeing with the bright light shining there.

       "If there even was a girl, she's dead."

       "Oh, I know that." He chided before typing his topic on an open Word Document. "I'm going to figure out who she was. Maybe write about the clothing style back then. I mean, come on, there's no way 'no visible-ankle McGee' is going to turn some powerful immortal guy's attention." River rolled his eyes heavenward like that was the most normal thing anyone has ever said.

       "None of this exists, River. Shorzin even said it's all a legend." At least trying to convince him helped try to convince me.

       "Well, it's a legend a bunch of people believed. I'll probably go to the town's archives later this week to pull up all the info I can, if you two want to join." His voice was far too excited for his own good. No one should have that much fun writing a research paper.

       "Yeah, sure. Sounds good." I mumbled as I opened my own Word Document. I really didn't want anything to do with those archives, or that legend, or stupid angel bullshit, but I figured going with them would be better than doing it by myself. "What are you going to do, Siena?" I called to the brooding goth. She was wearing her usual black-gear get up, her lips painted that dark purple that matched her claw-like nails. Those creepy bright gray eyes flickered over to my gaze.

       "Probably research that Avidus guy. He seems hot." She shrugged her shoulders, and the thin chain that connected the fabric of her shirt to her belt lope shimmered in the light. Figures the goth would find a greedy evil angel hot.

-&-

       I didn't bother thinking about that stupid paper for the rest of the day. Honestly, I kept debating on whether or not I should just drop the class. It was still relatively early in the semester and they were allowing drops. I would have to take it again eventually, but at least all this crazy stuff with those red-eyed monsters and psychotic psychics would die down by then. I really didn't want to have to deal with that class while my mind kept tearing itself apart.

       And the nightmares were getting worse.

       I woke up in the middle of the night, panting and gasping for breath. There was always more blood with each dream, and the fire always seemed to burn hotter. I blinked around my dimly lit room. I kept the closet's light on when I slept now, with the door slightly opened. Call it childish or whatever, but it made me feel better. My bedroom door was closed, and I had to shove down the disappointment. I really shouldn't expect Dri to save me every time.

       My hands shook as I gripped the comforter, and my heart beat a thousand miles a minute. I didn't want to go back to sleep. I couldn't pretend like I wasn't terrified of the dark corners of my room, or under my bed.

       God, way to be a fucking child, Larkin.

       I lived in some of the shittiest places in California that anyone could have imagined. I had to learn how to be tough and fearless quickly when I was younger. Or, at least I learned not to let anyone know I was afraid. But four boys with 'seemingly' red eyes turned me into a frightened squirreled instantly.

       I wanted Adriel.

       I carefully eased out of the warm safety of my covers and pulled on the pair of pajama shorts I threw off before going to sleep. Last thing I needed was Raffie catching me walking around in my underwear. The kid would never let me live it down. 

       I cracked open my bedroom door and peaked into the hallway. It was dark, except for the bathroom light shining into the hall that I asked Adriel to leave on. I stepped quietly onto the carpet and tried not to make too much noise as I passed Raf's open door. She didn't like sleeping with it closed.

       I didn't know if I should knock on Dri's door or not. I didn't want to wake him, especially when he had to get up so early for work, but I also knew I wouldn't be able to calm down unless he was near. I didn't bother knocking, and slowly eased the door open just a tiny bit. I couldn't see anything. His room was pitch black and that made nerves shoot down my spine.

       He shouldn't be sleeping in the dark, too many things held power in the dark.

       I eased the door open further until the dim light in the hallway could shine on his bed. I frowned. Adriel wasn't there, but the sheets were rumpled, and the pillows were tossed around like he had been. The light in his bathroom wasn't on so I knew he wasn't in there either. Where the hell was he? I closed his door again and headed for the stairs. If he was in the kitchen, he better be making me a snack too.

       I was halfway down the steps when I heard the soft sounds of voices on the TV drift into the foyer. A small smile pulled on my lips. At least I wouldn't be waking him up.

       Adriel was sitting shirtless on the living room couch, watching an overly large, black and white, fake dinosaur crunch a bunch of obviously Lego sized buildings. I forced my eyes to his face when I walked into the room, the last thing I needed was for him to catch me checking those muscles out again. Dark blue eyes flickered in my direction as I stopped beside the couch.

       "It's a little late, Lark."

       "Look who's talking."

       He let out a small chuckle, then raised that stony arm up into the air in invitation. He didn't have to tell me twice. I crawled under that arm until my butt was pressed against his thigh and my arms could wrap tightly around his neck. "Another bad dream?" He murmured into my ear as those strong arms cradled my body against his chest. I was wearing a large t-shirt, his to be exact, and the bare skin of my arm heated against his. I shrugged and held on tighter.

       Dri sighed and his warm hands ran soothingly over my side. "I wish I knew how to make them stop." His voice was a low whisper, but the soft, sweet tone of it wrapped around my ears and spread warmth through my veins.

       "Yeah, me too." My face was buried in the crook of his neck, my arms wrapped tightly around him like that would chase away all the bad images swarming through my mind. We were quiet for a while, with just the sound of the TV playing softly in the background. His strong fingers slipped under the bottom of my shirt to trail lightly across my back. I tried not to let the tremor at the feeling.

       "You smell good." Adriel mumbled a moment later and bent his head down to sniff my hair.

       "If you like the smell of sweat and fear." I grumbled against him, but he just let out a small laugh.

       "You always smell good, Lark. Sweat, fear, and all." He pressed a kiss to my shoulder as that dangerous hand traveled further up my bare back. I pulled slightly away from him to glance at that naughty smirk pulling on his lips.

       "I don't want sex." The words blurted past my lips before I could stop them, and the dark eyebrow he raised in response nearly made me blush. Nearly.

       "Who said anything about sex?"

       I forced my gaze to the wall of the living room and shrugged. "You're giving me that look." I grumbled as his hand trailed slowly from my back and to my side.

       "What look?"

       I sighed in exasperation and rolled my eyes. "That look. The one right before you always do something naughty."

       "Oh..." That low voice drawled softly, and I knew I should have been worried when dark amusement flashed in those blue eyes. "You mean like this?" And then the asshole pinched my nipple! Like straight up just gave the poor thing a sharp pinch.

       "OW! Adriel, you ass!" I shrieked and tried to jump away from him, my hand swatting at his ridiculously hard arm. His laughter echoed around us, and I only hoped Raf's room was too far away to hear. His arms circled tightly around my waist, stopping any hope of escape, and pinned me back down against his chest.

       "I hate you." I grumbled against his heated skin as the fucking idiot cocooned me against him.

       "No, you don't." He chuckled despite my complete and total seriousness.

       "Yes, I do. I came looking for you because I was sad and scared and then you go and pinch my boob." I slapped his arm in emphasis which he completely ignored.

       "Are you still sad and scared?"

       "No, but that's not the point—"

       "Yes, it is." He leaned down once again and pressed those stupid lips against the top of my head. "You're not thinking about it anymore, and we didn't have sex. So, you're welcome."

       Idiot. Jerk. Moron.

       Why the fuck isn't he kissing me?

       "I still hate you." I muttered, but he just shot me that stupid smirk.

       "Mhm, I'm sure."

       I didn't bother saying anything else, but I did eventually relax and let him cradle me against his chest. I did feel better, even if my boob didn't. I let my fingers trace softly over the planes of his hard skin, then over his strong shoulder and down to his stomach. Adriel let me until I reached his taut belly button, then he let out a loud sigh.

       "You can't keep touching me like that if you don't want to have sex, Lark." His low voice grumbled into my ear, and I pulled my fingers away with a reluctant frown.

       "I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was bothering you."

       "It's not." But the grunt in his voice suggested otherwise.

       "Do you want me to move?"

       "No, you're fine." He pressed another kiss to my hair. "You're just getting me a little too worked up." And like his words alone could summon the thing, I felt the hard poke against my ass. I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my lips. "Yeah, yeah, laugh at my misery." He grumbled and used those strong arms to shift my butt away from his dick. "Who's the jerk now?"

       "Sorry." Which I wasn't really, but if it made him feel better, I guess I could say it.

       "Hey," Dri started a moment later, his voice a good degree softer than before. "Look at me." I let out a quiet sigh but lifted my eyes to his anyways. Idiot. "You know I would never pressure you into anything, right?" The concern in his gaze tore at my heart, and my lips gave him a small smile all on their own.

       "Yeah, I know." I leaned forward and pressed a kiss to his cheek. His dark blues were still on me when I pulled away, and the look shining through them made my thighs clench. Dri leaned forward until his lips could press against the corner of my mouth, then nipped at my chin, before hovering just barely over my lips.

       "Kissing isn't sex." He murmured against my mouth, the soft feeling of his mouth brushing against my own sent electricity surging through me.

       "No, it isn't." Which was all the permission he needed. I closed my eyes as his mouth pressed against mine, his tongue slipping easily between my lips. My arms curled around his neck again, and I let my fingers threaded through that soft, dark hair.

       I sighed into him, all thoughts of nightmares and boob-pinching faded away as he took completely over. I was never going to get used to this. Adriel didn't try to grope me or anything the entire time, which I was honestly a little thankful for. The next time we slept together it had to be under good circumstances, not because a nightmare made me need him. I knew he understood that too.

       One hand wrapped gently in my loose curls as the other stayed securely around my waist. He had to adjust me a couple of times on his lap, but other than that it was completely enjoyable. I wasn't sure how long we sat like that, making out like horny teenagers—which, I guess, I technically was—but I still felt like it was too soon when he pulled away. Even though my lips were starting to get raw.

       "Do you want to sleep with me tonight?" Yes please. "In my room? It might help with the dreams." His low voice murmured against my skin, those dark blue eyes flickering from my mouth to my gaze.

       "Will you keep kissing me if I do?"

       The corner of his mouth twitched up in that sly smirk I found a little too damn attractive, and his hand ran slowly over my side. "If you want me too."

       I always wanted him to. 

-&-

Hope you all enjoyed!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

261K 8.9K 45
He caressed my hair gently, his fingertips touching large chunks of silky strands, ❝I wanted to give you a chance to win and escape me. I couldn't w...
19 0 5
I loved him at fifteen. I thought we'd stand the test of time. He was my forever but maybe I fell too fast or loved him too much. Maybe I came on too...
4.1K 147 16
**WARNING** ~contains explicit content that may not be acceptable to all viewers. discretion advised~ "No no no no..." My words trailed "NO!!" I scre...
307K 18K 49
*TRADITIONALLY PUBLISHED BY FRAYED PAGES x WATTPAD BOOKS! COMING TO BOOKSTORES 6/11/24!!* |2022 Wattys Shortlist| When a demon princess and a human m...