Heiress in Distress

By ghaidasrevival

When forced to take a wrecked plane in an endless sky of riddles, Mira chooses to skydive. Only to land on th... More

•Prologue•
•Chapter 1•
•Chapter 2•
•Chapter 3•
•Chapter 4•
•Chapter 5•
•Chapter 6•
•Chapter 8•
•Chapter 9: Part 1•
•Chapter 9: Part 2•
•Chapter 10•
•Chapter 11•
•Chapter 12•
•Chapter 13•
•Chapter 14•
•Chapter 15•
•Chapter 16•
•Chapter 17•
•Chapter 18•
•Chapter 19: Part 1•
•Chapter 19: Part 2•
•Chapter 20•
•Chapter 21•
•Chapter 22•
•Chapter 23•
•Chapter 24•
•Chapter 25•
•Chapter 26•
•Chapter 27•
•Chapter 28•
•Chapter 29: Part 1•
•Chapter 29: Part 2•
•Chapter 30•
•Chapter 31•
•Chapter 32•
•Chapter 33•
•Chapter 34•
•Chapter 35•
•Chapter 36•
•Chapter 37•
•Chapter 38•
✰ New Book ✰
•Chapter 39: Part 1•

•Chapter 7•

360 54 113
By ghaidasrevival

•Word Count: 1,690

The next day, I'm late for school, as per expectation, and I'm running down the labyrinth of halls to get to my first class -Calculus- held in room 21, which I have to ascend a flight of stairs to get to.

Mercifully, it seems the teacher is late too, because from the top of the stairs, I can spot the kids lazing by the room's door.
I walk slower, attempting to catch my breath.

A group of girls brush by me on their way to the room, one of which turns, smiling easily and muttering a benevolent "Sorry".
However, her smile immediately falters when her eyes meet my own, hers flaring slightly with recognition, right before her mouth slowly curves back into another genuine smile, her eyes lit with exhilaration.

"Mira!" Joe exclaims, throwing her arms around me in an affectionate hug.
As glad I am to see a familiar face here in this sea of strangers, her enthusiasm still throws me off for a second.

"I didn't know you went to Garnet High" She voices my exact thoughts.

"I-" I'm interrupted by the swarming of students into the classroom, indicating the teacher has arrived.

"Come on, we'll catch up later" Joe tugs my hand as we follow the crowd into the classroom.

•••

Joe and I spend most of the day chatting; it turns out we have many classes together.
I have noticed her absence from the café, so I ask her why she hasn't been coming for work the past few days, to which she tells me she has been out of town for a death in the family.
That explains why we haven't met at school since my first day three days ago.
It's a godsend having her go to the same school, since I don't particularly make the healthiest example for striking up friendships.

We arrive at the café in no time, consumed in our inexhaustible conversation.
Joe continues to talk animatedly but her words easily melt into the background when a certain person saunters out of the shop.
How his presence leaves everything else insignificant beats my unsophisticated mind.

He seems just as astounded when our gazes clash, but where his surprise only manifests in his raised brows, mine is more noticeable because my next breath is accompanied by a gasp.
When he gently bows his head in greeting, I can barely return the gesture in my rendered immobile state.

I don't notice the sleek silver car parked outside the café just at the man's side, until someone opens the back door for him, and he gracefully climbs into the backseat.

"You and Sir Elias ? Didn't see that coming" Joe waited until the silver sedan has disappeared down the street before saying this.

Elias? A charming name given to an equally charming man.

I turn my head just in time to catch her wink.
Dismissing her teasing remark with a shake of my head, I barely cross the threshold of the shop when Juniper greets me at the door with a welcoming hug and a bright, "Bonjour"

After returning the 'Good Morning', I gently pull back, as she continues to hold my shoulders.

"We need to talk" Although she says this with a warm smile and an encouraging look, I can't help the nervous swallow my throat makes.
Instead of asking the 'about what' that's dangling at the tip of my tongue, I simply nod.

Joe must've sensed the need for privacy because she dutifully walks directly toward the kitchen, but not before flashing me one of her comforting smiles.
Juniper leads me out into the warmth of the afternoon sun and onto a bench situated just outside the shop, so we can sit.

"I'm sorry for what happened to you last night-" Shaking my head immediately, I wish to tell her it's not her fault, but she just holds her hand up. So, I attentively remain quiet to allow her to continue.

"-You girls are my responsibility, seeing as I'm the exclusive owner of this place" I have to bite my tongue to refrain from talking.
When saying this, she sounds older than she looks.
Late twenties is what any person with keen perception would give her.

"Cynthia told me it's you who proffered the nightly services" She pauses, expecting a conformation. To which, I nod.

She reaches into her purse, rummaging up something, which she hands over to me.
It's a tri-fold brochure titled "VTC Airways"

An odd mixture of both confusion and uneasiness is scattered throughout my mind as I unfold the brochure.

I contemplate asking her if she owns another branch across the continent, owing to a dreadful idea at the back of my head that she might want to send me there.

"They're in need of flight attendants" She informs me.
I wait for her to continue, but she doesn't.

When I lift my head to face her, it's as though I could read the explanation within her gaze, my mind instantly igniting with discernment.

"But I'm not qualified for such a job. I don't even have a high school diploma"
I point out.

"Don't worry about it. The CEO is a close friend of mine" is her dismissive response.

I merely begin to consider the idea, when she proceeds to elaborate further
"You'll only have to work 2-3 times a weak, making as much as 6 months worth working here in just a month" I'm not sure how I managed to stop my eyes from bulging out of their sockets at this.

"You'll get to choose the days you want to work" She adds, in a voice sounding eerily anticipative.

My compulsion at accepting the tempting offer takes a backseat to my incredulity at the whole proposition. Why is she even doing this ?
Is it guilt she's feeling ?

It's not in my nature to do things without thorough consideration, so I ask her to allow me some time to ponder.

"Of course, but please do return to me with your response as soon as possible" She says upon standing.

"Sure" I tell her as she glances at the expensive watch around her wrist.

"I have something to attend to. I'll see you soon, hopefully" She excuses herself.

Halfway strutting towards her car, she turns around;
"Oh and don't forget to check your chair pocket" Walking backwards, she yells this due to our lack of proximity.
She continues walking backwards for a few more steps until I nod to confirm I've heard her, before turning around and moving onwards.

Going into the shop, I stride towards the back room, exclusive for staff members; not very spacious yet adequately accommodative, with a single rectangular conference table surrounded by matching seats, each of which bears a name.
And a chair pocket of course.

I reach into the the pocket of my entitled seat as Juniper indicated and feel my fingers graze a paper material.
Frowning, I find myself fishing out an envelope.

I instantly identify it as a letter.
Once I've unfolded it, my eyes are scanning elaborate handwriting.

It'll be of great misfortune if you don't find it in yourself to forgive my manners last night, for it's not my wont to impose my will on others, especially a woman.
But last night's circumstances had been unforeseen, and your safekeeping posed a priority, which should justify my need to follow you towards your house to ensure your safety.
We haven't been properly introduced, yet I misbehaved a gentleman by both attempting to coerce you into riding with us and violating your will to leave on your own.
Give me the chance to properly apologise for my shortcomings.
A dinner with me should make for a good opportunity, do you not suppose?

Elias.

I'm still hypnotised by the genuineness swirling through the lines, wondering if people still used handwritten letters -or letters at all- to communicate.
I can't help the smile that curves its way onto my mouth, brushing off the protests of my usually strict rationality, as it reminds me that this is a total stranger weaving his way into my life.

•••

Unlocking the door to my place, a squeal of pure delight and a vigorously crawling Élise greets me at the door.
I pick her up easily, noticing she's only in diapers.

"Hey there buddy" I coo, lifting her up so high her eyes go wide.

I'm exhausted to a fault, so I head for the bedroom immediately.

"Bonsoir busy bee" Clara chirps teasingly, shaking a bottle of milk for Élise.

"Hey there" I return the warm greeting with a weary smile, watching as she goes to pick up something from the coffee table.

"Someone slid this under the door" She announces, handing me a plain envelope.
I ask her who but she tells me she doesn't know, as she was showering Élise when it came in.

I turn it over, in search of a return address or any sort of information about the sender, but find none.
Something clicks inside me in recognition; I think I have an idea as to who the sender might be.

Almost sure of his identity, I tear open the envelope.
Clara takes Élise from me and walks into the bedroom, closing the door behind.

Upon unfolding the paper, I notice 3 things:

It's printed, not handwritten.
It doesn't have the name 'Elias' at the bottom of the paper.
It's a riddle.

"All for one and One for all"

We're 3 musketeers;

One: I'm highest in rank,
I'm a hole in the Milky Way.

Two: I'm second in rank,
I'm a regular guest in times of war.

Three: I'm lowest in rank,
I'm a long time companion of most women.

The three of us assembled together represent power, emanating from the 3 decade old unity of the East and the West.

My brain kicks into overdrive, all thoughts of exhaustion flying out the window.
Despite being scarcely acquainted, I'm almost certain that this is not Elias.
What would prompt him to send me a riddle?

But who else with a warped sense of humour would send me this, and what is it supposed to mean?

••••

Go ahead, solve the riddle (=
I wanna know what you guys think

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read this (=

-Asia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

302K 7.1K 31
"Abort it." "Excuse me ?" "Abort that thing inside of you!" He shouts in my face. I put my hands on his chest trying to put some space between us...
7 Lives Apart By Rose

Mystery / Thriller

312 40 11
"At that time, I didn't know that fate would drag us 7 Lives Apart!" *** Rose will go to any lengths just to lure in...
3.4K 247 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...
409K 8.2K 37
Book #2 (Tainted Scars Series) "Where am I? Who the hell are you?" He stared at me from across the room, "knowing my name is useless and dangerous."...