Champion's Sword, Galar's Shi...

Galing kay TMWolf

Cassandra came to Galar running from a past she couldn't bring herself to face. Leon was running from his fa... Higit pa

01 - Encounter
02 - Warmth
03 - Fishing
04 - Talks
05 - Sword
06 - Fear
07 - Haven
08 - Vulnerable
09 - Heist
10 - Rose
11 - Trials
12 - Plans
13 - Tribulations
14 - Rescue
15 - Reprieve
16 - Beloved (18+)
17 - Blood
19 - Aftermath II
20 - Reunions
Epilogue
Sequel

18 - Aftermath Part I

1.1K 19 68
Galing kay TMWolf

And now we reach the aftermath of the bloodshed. Victory was obtained... but at what cost?

--------------------------

Cassandra woke with a groan, feeling like she'd been rammed by a Mamoswine—and like she'd had that kind of thought before. The lights above were bright, and the white walls of the room didn't make it any better. At least it told her where she was: a hospital. The IV and bed she was in were the next big dead giveaway, and she sighed tiredly. Memory came back soon enough, and she remembered passing out during battle. Being that she was in a hospital and not still on the ground, the city burning down around her, they had succeeded. Barely. Hammerlocke was definitely ruined and would take a long time to repair after all that damage, but they defeated Swordward and Shieldbert.

They'd stopped them.

Somehow.

And with great cost.

The redhead sighed as she tried sitting up, groaning at the ache in her limbs. It reminded her of the day after a hard workout when the lactic acid made even shifting agonizing. The Eternatus energy really had done a number on her, though not so much as Zacian. Her side of the bond was quiet, so she could only hope Leon and the others were taking care of the warrior. She knew Silver would have his Team Rescue do a lot of disaster work, which was their specialty. They brought plenty of Chanceys with them along with other healing types. Sinnoh and Unova had some, too, and she knew she could rely on the Champions to keep things under control. No doubt they'd been working diligently with the Gym Leaders—Raihan, of which, she hoped was alright.

Looking around, she noted her things were there—except her Pokémon. They would have needed a proper Pokécenter to heal after that battle, so she knew they would be in good hands, especially since her old teams all knew Silver, who would visit the ranch, and her team from Galar knew Leon, which meant the others would trust her lover, too. Her pokégear was here, though, and she opened it up to a torrent of messages. Now that her comrades from other regions were around, of course she was getting so many. Most asked if she was doing okay or to feel better. Some were about Arcanine, others about thanking her for her help. It made her eyes water, and she worked hard to wipe away the forming tears.

The door opened, distracting her, and despite the clench in her chest, she smiled at the sight of Leon. There was worry in his eyes, but he managed a small smile back. He carried a bag of food and a backpack over his shoulder. She noted he was wearing the hoodie she bought him. She also not iced how tired he look e when he sat down beside her, putting the bag to the floor and the food on the table next to her. He reached over, taking her hand, and gently rubbed his thumb over the top.

"Hey," he said softly, searching for an answer.

"Hey," she replied, just as soft. "Sorry if I scared you. By passing out, I mean."

"Only a lot... but after what you went through... I'd be shocked if you didn't."

"Still..." she chuckled, wiping her eyes again. She forced the tears back. "So... what happened? After I fainted? Is everyone else alright? Did the others make it okay? Where are they? Gloria? Hop? Raihan? Lance, Alder—"

"Hold on, hold on! Everyone is fine," he chuckled, reaching over to cup her cheek. "All good besides scrapes and bruises. Raihan got a nice new scar, actually, but it could have been worse without your Pokémon and friends. They were exactly what we needed to take out all the Dynamax Pokémon. I think Raihan's considering keeping the ones he borrowed—even if they're not dragons.

He paused to grin when she laughed, and then continued, "Your Pokémon helped other trainers too and were thankfully willing to listen to your friends. Gloria said she got to see some legendaries from Hoenn, and then Hop got to meet a Gym leader, so they're both crazy excited and totally fine. They just crashed hard that night. Your friends are okay, too. They've just been swamped with coordinating the relief efforts. There, ah.... There were lives lost, but all the Gym Leaders got out okay. Hop staying back with Mom right now to keep her sane. Gloria did her part, and she even found Eternatus in the rubble of the castle. Poor thing was exhausted, but in a way that was a blessing. She's pretty sure they won't need to use the lab for him for a long, long time after all the energy that got released."

"Good. That's really good to hear. What happened to Swordward and Shieldbert?" she inquired, although her gut twisted at the notion people died. It was inevitable, but it still hurt.

"Well, we found Shieldbert dead just inside the castle, not far from Eternatus. He'd been crushed by rubble and apparently suffered internal bleeding. His arm was frozen, too, so there was frostbite as well. As for Swordward... He cut his own throat."

"What?!"

"We went to arrest him, and he fought back. He somehow got his weapon in the struggle, but he took it to his throat, shouting how we'd never take him alive. It's not the justice Galar or you deserve, but... they'll never bother us again, so that's something," Leon scowled, squeezing her hand. He put his smile back on, though, as he continued, "Zacian is doing fine, by the way. It took a day, but after a good, long nap in the sunshine she perked up. The dark energy from Eternatus is all but gone."

"Goo—wait... a day? How many was I out?!" she balked.

He winced, "Two and a half. You had a lot of us worried, but the doctor assured us you'd be fine—your body just had to recover on its own. And now that you are up, here. Eat this. I only got one meal since I wasn't sure you'd be up, but you need it more than me. Not too much, though. Oh, and I brought clothes for when you did wake up, so you can change into them whenever you're cleared to leave."

"Anyone tell you you're the best boyfriend?" she chuckled, taking the food and pulling out some Pidove strips to snack on. They tasted like heaven.

"Just once. And that's enough for me," he chuckled, leaning forward to kiss her brow. She giggled before chomping another bite a food and then frowned.

"So... Their plan was to make Zacian and Zamazenta crazy?" she half mumbled.

Leon frowned, "It seems like it. It's hard to say what the whole truth was but they seemed to think if they made the warriors go mad and they killed them they'd be labeled heroes? It's crazy to think about and I don't how they thought they'd succeed, the truth got out for a while now and everyone in the public eye thought of them as enemies."

"That's crazy and delusional for you. I guess they just went deranged because things weren't going their way. But how did they do know so much? About Eternatus' and then how'd they make the Dynamax energy go crazy?"

"Honestly? We're still wondering ourselves about the first part. They knew a lot for never being around until now and their family is all but nonexistent. It feels a lot like someone else had to be helping, but... There's been nothing.

He sighed to rub the back of his neck, "As for the energy... Best we can figure is that they used the wishing stars all over Galar to give the Galarian particles a massive boost which they activated all around the same time. They had more on them when we searched the two, and Sonia found they'd been super charged by Eternatus. It's how it got so bad all around, even outside Dens and the Gyms."

"Arceus. That's crazy. It... How bad did everything get? All over?"

"Not as bad as we thought it would. Your friends came just in the nick of time. It's... There's a lot of repairs to do, but Galar and its people are going to be just fine, so don't worry," he smiles warmly, reaching over to take her hand and squeeze. "Your Pokémon have been worried, by the way, but I'll let them know you're alright. We have them just outside the city in a makeshift 'ranch' like yours back home. Silver helped us set it up based on what he knew, and they seemed to be okay with it after he talked to them. Gloria and her mother took up babysitting while the League does most of the paperwork to get things cleared up. She'll get involved later, but right now it's a bit much for her still. It's pretty messy everywhere, like I said."

"Yeah," she nodded, pausing after eating one strip. Her gaze fell, "Is... how are Tyranitar and Pidgeot? Lanturn and Espeon, too? They... they've been with Arcanine the longest. They knew him as a Growlithe, and... and..."

"They're... um, going to be okay. They're definitely upset, but... they're keeping strong and keeping everyone in line, too. It... I... Here... I wasn't sure if I should yet, but..." he began, rummaging through his jacket pocket to bring out a leather collar with a piece of charcoal embedded in it. "They almost threw it away, not knowing what it was. I made sure to grab it."

Any tears she'd held back before came rushing full force and poured out as she sobbed, taking the collar and pulling it close to her chest. He stood up and embraced her at once, letting her cry as much as she wanted into his chest. He couldn't even imagine what it was like to lose something so dear as your first Pokémon. He didn't know what he'd do if he ever lost Charizard. It might break him. Then again, seeing her crying had already done that. Worse still, he couldn't prevent it. He hadn't been fast enough—strong enough. He couldn't protect her or Arcanine, and she'd been hurt because of it; in a way so deep he wasn't sure how to help her beyond holding her and not letting go. He was too weak to do anything else to help the woman he loved.

"Sorry—I just... he..." she choked, crying less now.

He shook his head, rubbing her arm, "It's fine. Don't apologize. He was your first Pokémon. He's had your back for so long... and he protected you until the end."

"I know... Arceus... I miss him so much already. I don't even know what I'm going to do without him."

"You'll figure it out, and I'll help you however I can... but for now rest, okay? Eat up. I'll be here as long as I'm able."

She looked to him, wiping a fresh tear, "You have to leave?"

"I... Yeah. Unfortunately. Now that you're up I really don't want to. I'd rather to stay here with you until you can be discharged, but... I'm part of the relief efforts and reconstruction. And, well, the region is always a little more at ease seeing my face—especially when Gloria and I work together. Mostly I just make speeches to encourage everyone and go around visiting people to help where I can. I try to do heavy lifting, but I've also been speaking with the League about getting resources here. We've not interacted with other Leagues in so long, and, well, I was Champion for a decade, so I'm a good representative. But I can cut back to stay here. I can make a call real quick and let them know what's going on. I can stay as long as you—."

"No, you need to go," she replied tiredly, and although she was right, he hated her agreeing. He wished she told him to stay. Her smile both warmed him and struck him like a blow. "You're right. Galar needs its champion—even a former one. You were always a symbol of hope, so it's good you're out there. I'll do what I can to help, too, once I get out. I'm sure Lance and Alder want to talk to me."

"Oh, they do," Leon chuckled. "It almost makes me jealous."

"Well, Lance was my first crush," she mused with a sniff, and laughed at the face he made. "When I was a teenager. Calm down. You're the only I love now."

"Good, otherwise I'd have a problem with Indigo League right now. Might have to come over and show them what a real Champion can do."

"That would be epic... but you'd have to leave all but Charizard behind. The rest of your team isn't Indigo League sanctioned."

"Eh, Charizard can handle them all. Although, really, I'm just glad to get a laugh out of you right now," he chuckled, sitting down on the bed so he could embrace her better. She leaned into him, resting her head against his shoulder. He kissed her forehead, "But go ahead and cry when you want. I'm here for you."

"I know, and I'm glad for it. It's... going to be hard. But I have to be strong for my Pokémon. I just... wish I knew how to prepare for this. I thought after N I would know, but... it feels so much worse."

"I wish I knew the answer," Leon spoke softly, his chest clenching. It was hard to watch her break down; even worse than when he'd first held her in his arms during the blizzard. Worse still, he could only hold her and promise she'd get through it, because she would. Because that was who she was. Still, he felt useless, and knew he had to make sure to cut down on his work outside the hospital. She needed him just as much as he needed her.

"I'll be fine. Eventually. It's just... it hurts. But I'll be okay. Sorry I keep worrying you."

"Hey, it's my job as the boyfriend. I signed up for it, and I'm not quitting."

"Good, because you're too good of an employee. I'll have to give you a raise after this."

"Just make an official announcement as my girlfriend that's not by the press. That should do it."

"That's it? Didn't I do that already by going on a date?" she smirked, raising a brow with a sniff. She paused, though, scrunching the same brow after a moment. "...Wait, you're just doing it so Lance and everyone else knows, aren't you?"

"Gotta make sure they all know you're off limits," he snickered, kissing her cheek sweetly.

"Oh my Arceus," she just groaned, and although tears would come every so often, his joke allowed her some amount of happiness in their hours together before he had to head out with the promise of a proper meal when he returned. Cassandra watched him go and then collapsed back down onto the bed, Arcanine's collar tight in her grasp. With a final sigh, and a new wave of tears, she allowed herself to sleep and prayed she could get through everything alright.

----------

When Cassandra woke up again things seemed to pass by in a rapid blur. Leon wasn't with her that time, but a nurse was and explained the extent of her injuries. As her lover as said, she was mostly exhausted beyond scrapes, bruises, and maybe a pulled muscle. They were going to keep her for one more night just in case, being that they didn't know the full effects of Galar particles on the human body. So far so good, though, and she could leave in the morning if she wished—which she did. For now, though, she apparently had some guests waiting for her.

First was Officer Jenny, who needed her testimony. That was easy enough, giving her what details she could from her part of the battle. She didn't exactly have much, but anything before the battle she was able to provide, too. That was more than enough for the officer it seemed, and she left without much fuss and just a simple thanks. After that was another nurse to bring her a simple lunch, and then she was left alone for maybe an hour before familiar faces came knocking.

"Well, well, aren't you a sight for sore eyes, sweetheart," Raihan grinned as he leaned against the door. He had his arm in a sling, and had evidently been at the Hospital, too, considering his hoodie and shorts were replaced with some scrubs he got somewhere. She liked to think he "convinced" some nurse to do him a favor and let him wear something besides a hospital gown. She envied him; she'd kill for proper scrubs right now or just pants in general. She also wouldn't mind the IV out of her arm, even if the fluids were given her essential nutrients for her recovery.

"You're one to talk. Your best asset has a blemish now," she snorted, pointing to his cheek, where a line of stitches ran along the side

"Oh, don't you worry; the ladies will love it once it heals," he purred, plopping down in the chair beside her. "Cynthia told me it was handsome, anyways.

"What? Wait—you met Cynthia?" she laughed incredulously.

He winked, "Sure did. She came to my rescue in fact, and I dare say she likes me."

"Uh-huh."

"You doubt the Raihan charm?"

"When it's Cynthia? Yeah, I do. If anything, you like her."

"Pfft. Well, I mean. I'd bang her."

"'Rai! She's a Champion!"

"Yeah? And? She's a beautiful woman. I mean you're a multi-champ, and I'd bang you, too, if you weren't with 'Lee."

"I'm not sure whether to be flattered or not."

"Tsk tsk, don't deny you want me to flirt with you. I'm happy to do so."

"Arceus, help me. If I weren't spoken for, I'd be half tempted to give you a tongue lashing," she snorted.

"You're still welcome to do so. We can get Leon involved, make it a threesome," he winked, leaning forward with a hungry glint in his eyes, and she laughed.

"I don't think we're ready for that, 'love'. Don't make me piss off the nurses by given your other cheek a blemish," she snorted, tapping said location lightly.

He playfully "bit" at her finger and chuckled, "Alright, alright. I'll be a good boy. But the offers always there for ya both. For real, though, you got some crazy strong friends. We were able to finally finish off those Dynamax Pokémon with her helping out. Heard your other friends, Alder and Lance, too. Freaking Lance, man! He's so cool!"

"Wait—are you a fan? Since when?" she chortled, brow raised.

"Uh, since forever. I was totally jealous when you mentioned you knew him. You know his outfit is based on my Gym? He met the old man before me who took me on and got inspired. He's one of the greats of Dragon trainers. Of course I'm a fan," he snickered.

"Where was the fangirling before when I told you he was my first crush?"

"Wasn't the right time. We were having a heart-to-heart; I couldn't very well start gushing. Now, though? Oh, I am all about gushing about my idol."

"Oh my Arceus, you're such a dork."

"You love it."

"A little," she laughed, shaking her head. A silence came over them as the chuckled faded, her mind flicking to the battle before. She looked up to him, meeting his gaze. His cyan eyes betrayed little, but she could, at the very least, tell his smile wasn't totally sincere. She couldn't entirely read him, but the falter in his smile worried her. She looked down, gasping at her bed sheets as she swallowed slowly, "I, ah... I'm sorry. About Hammerlocke."

"We'll live. Rebuild," he shrugged, but his eyes were downcast.

"Still... this is your home, 'Rai. And they tried to destroy it... They basically did."

"But we stopped them. Mostly," he added, the last word a bit harsh. He sighed, shrugging and waving his good hand. "Looks, it's fine, love. Considering what we were up against, we did pretty damn good. I owe you a thanks for that, too—your Pokémon really helped give the extra edge and helped get bystanders out of the way until your backup arrived. Cynthia and me wiped the floor with them then."

"I can tell it's eating you, though."

"Tsk. 'Course it is. All of us Leaders are pissed seeing our Gyms get wrecked, and I had my whole city. People died because I wasn't strong enough or fast enough to get to them. I wasn't even smart enough to tell the Kings were doing shit right under my nose. But that ain't why I came. I didn't come here to just gripe and cry about what I couldn't do and how I failed my city and people," he grunted, shifting in his seat. He met her gaze firmly, "I'm here to see how my friend is. You were hurt bad and passed out and everyone was thinking the worst since Lee was going bonkers like you'd died."

Cassandra blushed, "Wait—what."

"Yeeeeah, the idiot was freaking out by the time I caught up with you lot, and it was only that Silver friend-guy of yours that knocked some sense into him. Lance put Lee to work, too, since he had Zamazenta. They let me keep an eye on ya on the account I busted my shoulder some, and that seemed to make him okay enough to help out."

"Arceus help me. Should I be worried about having him for a boyfriend?" she chuckled, shaking her head.

"Nah, he's just excited to have a girlfriend, so don't go breaking his heart," Raihan winked before leaning forward. "For real, though—you alright?"

"Aah..." she sighed, leaning back again. "No. But also, yes? I don't know. I'm tired. My body is sore, and I just... hurt. I lost Arcanine."

"...Leon told me," he replied softly, eyes downcast. "I'm sorry, 'Cas."

"Thanks," she said quickly, eyes watering again. She pushed it back, biting her tongue in hopes pain might work. It did a little. "Are you going to be okay? Really?"

"Yeah. My pride was hurt more than anything. The city is under my protection, and I didn't even notice those sons of bitches using Wishing Stars all over the place. It's a damned miracle there's anything left, and the actual death toll isn't that high. Plenty injured, but the dead are below one hundred. I'd rather it be zero. But...

He paused to sigh, "Like I said: we can rebuild. So, there's that. Hammerlocke will rise back up even stronger. Thanks to you."

"I didn't—" she began to scoff, but he raised a hand to cut her off.

"'Cas, come on, don't try and downplay things. Without you, 'Lee would be dead, we wouldn't have Zacian or Zamazenta. Hop and Gloria would still be kidnapped. We definitely wouldn't have the other Leagues here to help us if not for you. Instead, we'd be under the boot of those bastards. So, take my thanks and keep it, 'Cas because without you we wouldn't be here right now. I owe you a lot. Everything, even. All of Galar does, really, so don't go one second thinking you don't deserve all the thanks you're getting and that you're not a hero," he explained, and she wasn't sure what to make of the anxious knot in her stomach. Hero? The word just felt like a punch to the gut.

Still, she cracked a smile, "Okay. You drive a hard bargain, but I'll accept your thanks."

Raihan chuckled, "The press is going to be all over you, by the way. Already heard people talking about how, not only did a foreign Champion steal the heart of our former Champ, she tamed the legendary Sword Pokémon, and bravely stood by Leon's side to fight the bad guys and brought one damned fine cavalry with her. 'United the Leagues' they'll say. It's gonna be a heck of a headline just for the fact we have so many foreign guests who are famous. Galar's never gotten so many and kept mostly out of the loop, but I'd say that's about to change. And you n' Leon are gonna be the main headline about it, I guarantee it. So, y'know. Heads up."

Cassandra gave a good chuckle, although she wasn't quite sure how she felt about it. In some ways, she almost felt she was happy they were glad she was here and lauding her efforts. At the same time, she was nervous. Very nervous. She was so used to being out of the lime-light when dangerous things like the Kings went down; letting the League handle the press and giving someone else the credit. Here, though, she was known as a key player by many—all of Galar, apparently. There'd be no hiding from it. The crowd knew her and would want to see her; one of their many "Heroes" this terrible battle.

She didn't feel like a hero.

At all.

She'd not been heroic at the end of things, succumbing to her hatred and anger—just like before. Just like with Ghetis, she'd loathed Swordward for taking her dearest friend from her. Again, she'd lost someone she loved, and she could do nothing to save them. Again, the blood stained her hands and she wouldn't be able to wash it away. She'd kept herself from falling totally into the dark abyss that came with killing a person with their own hands, but that didn't save her from falling from grace. Heroes didn't do what she did after all. They didn't want to kill. They didn't want to hate. They didn't lose their best friend. Victory didn't feel hollow to heroes, either.

"You don't look happy about it, and I don't think because of the press," Raihan hummed, and she realized he was watching. She didn't bother to hide it, a weak smile on her face.

"I still don't, um... feel like I deserve the praise."

"Yeah, me, too," he grunted, earning a look of surprise. He forced a grin, "Seems to be a common thing among all of us these days, eh? Guess we just have to buck up and keep working hard until we do."

"...Yeah, I guess so," she chuckled, knowing he was right. It was all they could do really. She paused, a thought coming to mind. "...Is Leon the same? Has he said anything? I know he won't tell me—not right now. He's too worried about me."

"He told me not to tell you, but... yeah. He's hurting extra 'cause he feels he didn't and couldn't protect you. He's always been the guy that wanted to take care of everyone. He would always put himself in the line of fire to protect his friends and the people of Galar once he became Champion. I wasn't there for it, but Gloria told me one time how he protected them against Eternatus when Rose unleashed it. Even then, when he knew he could get badly hurt, he sent Charizard to protect Hop and Gloria while he took the full blast. Idiot was in the hospital for days, but he told me he'd do again and every time. He'd an idiot like that, y'know? Him and you both, apparently. Always putting everyone's safety first, throwing yourself into the fray to protect 'em," Raihan scoffed, both smiling and then scowling.

He paused to look at her, "And now he's got you, someone he cares about in a way he hasn't before. It's a whole new thing and Arceus knows a man like that is going to do everything he can to keep his woman safe. So... I know it's a lot to ask, but... try and make it easy on him, alright? Let him know he didn't fuck up. That it's not his fault, and don't leave his side. I'm askin' as a friend."

Cassandra met his gaze for a good long while, before she nodded, "I won't. I promise."

"And you take it easy on yourself, alright, love? Nothing that happened was your fault. You did everything you could to help us and fought bravely, and you sacrificed for us, too... Ah... I'm sorry about what happened, y'know. To your Arcanine..."

"Yeah, thanks," she replied, forcing her smile again.

"I haven't lost anyone before, so I can't say how it is, but... remember you're not alone, 'Cas. You got your friends from back home here now. Better still, you got friends here in Galar, too, so you can rely on us. You can rely on me, too. I consider you a good friend now, and I think you do the same, so... you don't need to shoulder it on your own."

The redhead looked to the young man, his cyan eyes watching her intensely. She could see why people were so drawn to him, especially now. His words carried meaning thanks to his presence alone, and his confidence made her believe him. He was her friend, wasn't he? Just like the ones who had come all the way from Johto and Kanto and Sinnoh and Unova. They'd all come because they were her friends—and because she wasn't alone. Even here she had Raihan now, and Hop and Gloria, and most importantly Leon.

She chuckled, her smile a bit more genuine now, "I'll try. No promises, though."

"Pfft. You will. I'll just sic 'Lee on ya if you don't. He won't let you get away with it."

"No fair—using my boyfriend like that. I might have to break up with him."

"Yeah right!" Raihan laughed, a mischievous twinkle in his eye. "You like him too much for that."

"...Dammit you know me too well already."

"Gotta know my best bud's girlfriend, or I ain't a best bud—and rival," he winked, earning another chuckle. He reached over to take her hand and squeeze. "For real, though, 'Cas. I meant it. Everything. I especially meant it when I say thank-you. That's as not only Hammerlocke's leader, but as your friend, too. I'm glad you came here, and I'm double glad I got to meet ya."

"Same," she grinned, squeezing back. "Even if you are a tad insufferable."

"Aw, hush, I know you love it. Bet if I found ya first, you'd be all up in this dragon boy like you are Leon," he smirked, toothy canine flashing.

She laughed, "Maybe! You're not all bad, I suppose. Maybe in another life. I'm all Leon's this one."

"And he's a lucky guy for it. So. You gonna be good now, love?" he smiled more gently this time. His hand felt warm.

"Yeah. For now, anyways. I'm sure Leon's services will be needed later."

He laughed as he stood up, "Ha! I'll make sure to send him your way then, especially 'cause I gotta get heading out soon—the League has been bugging me about repairs and other official boring business stuff. I'd rather play hookie with ya, buuuut..."

"You gotta go. So, get going. I'll be here until tomorrow."

"I'll be sure to visit—probably when Leon's around so I can make him jealous for ya. He's a riot when he is."

"Yes, I know," she snorted, shooting him a quick glare. "I'll have you know I am happily spoken for by him and don't even think you're that hot."

"But you still think I'm hot, though?" he smirked, tilting his head slightly.

"Oh, shut up, and go—your city needs you," Cassandra laughed, gesturing for him to go. She paused, however, grinning suddenly, "But do stop by—I wouldn't mind hearing those tips you gave to Leon, and who knows. Maybe we'll try to spice things up one night."

Raihan blinked, confused at first, but then laughed loudly as he waltzed off with a promise that he would definitely come by for sure now. As he went, another figure lingered by the door, but not a nurse. She blinked, at first not believing it was who she thought it was, but then smiled softly.

She called out, "Silver."

"Ugh, don't say it like that. You sound like you actually like me," the young man grunted, slipping through the door to take Raihan's spot. "You're welcome, by the way, for waiting for you to finish flirting with that friend of yours."

"Silver, please. I do have a boyfriend now."

"So, he keeps telling me."

Cassandra narrowed her eyes, "...Huh?"

"That obnoxious oaf of yours kept making it very clear when I was trying to get you somewhere safe and he was needed elsewhere. He had the audacity to act jealous as if I would ever consider you in such a way. Preposterous."

"Yes, thank-you, Silver," she hummed dryly. "I'm very aware you only like me as a friend. That's been established since I punched you back when you were still a snotty brat. Finally got me back for that, huh?"

"And you were an obnoxious girl who kept getting in my way. But I digress; That was hardly payback. I barely even slapped you," he snorted. Her slightly swollen cheek said otherwise, but she held back her brow from rising. "But it worked, so there's that. You were out of your mind back there, you know."

"I know, which is why I'm glad you were there—that, and for coming when you did. We'd be sitting Farfetch'd without you."

"Team Rescue is obligated to help those in need, even if they're overseas, and even when friends who are terrible friends call to do so," he replied with a "mmhmm" expression that made her look away sheepishly. He sighed after a few moments and leaned forward onto the bed to take hold of her hand. She met his eyes, which, to her surprise, held worry. He rarely, if ever, had anything more than a stern or annoyed look. It made her gut twist, realizing just how badly she'd cut him. He his voice was gentler than she expected when he spoke again, "Did you really have to wait so long to contact me, 'Cas? Or better yet our parents? They called me a few times, you know, worried about you. They'd hoped you spoken to me about what happened in Unova, and then later when you suddenly left. I had to tell them the truth. They didn't get too upset visibly, but... you and I both know they were. It's where you got that trait from."

"Arceus," she winced, and then sighed, rubbing her face with her other hand. "Silver, I... I'm sorry. I just... it was bad. For me. I couldn't handle what happened. I didn't know how to, and I didn't know to say it. I couldn't stand the looks, though; everyone wanted to know what happened. I know they just wanted to help, I do, but... I couldn't. It was too much. I had to get away from everyone—everything."

"So, you ran to here?"

"It... felt far enough away," she practically whispered, gaze falling.

He sighed, "I suppose it's not a bad place. I suppose it ended up being a good thing considering how things have turned out. But you didn't have to run off without saying a word other than a 'don't worry' note! That does the exact opposite, you idiot!"

She flinched, "I—I know... I... what I did was terrible to Mom and Dad... and to you, too. I should have told you where I was going at least."

"Yes, you should have, but what's done is done. I suppose at this point as long as you realize the error it's something. Just don't ever do it again. I was worried sick, you know. I even thought maybe one of the organizations you took down came back for revenge of something! Arceus knows Rocket tried with me."

"Aww, you do care," she smirked, then laughed at his expression. "No, but, really, Silver. I'm lucky to have you as a friend. For all the shit you give me, I know you mean well, and I wouldn't be where I am today with you."

"Well, we are friends. Somehow. Although, really, my Pokémon were just upset they hadn't gotten to see yours in such a long time."

"Is that so?" she snickered, shaking her head. Despite his harsh tone, Silver did mean well. It was just his abrasive attitude. Most were put off by it, but after all the time they'd spent together, she'd learn to see through it. Most everyone in his organization did, too. He was a good man, deserving of any praise he and his team received. She was, indeed, lucky to call him friend—especially because he was willing to slap her around when things got rough.

"Will you be coming home then?" he asked, breaking he stupor. She opened her mouth to speak, but then closed it.

"I'm... not sure. I know I need to, but..."

"You will need to stay here for a bit, I imagine, to settle affairs, but you need to come home, Cassandra. You owe it to our parents—and your Pokémon. You've left them for a long time. Do you know how ballistic they went knowing they'd get to see you? Your mother wanted to come charging in, too, but you father thankfully had enough sense to realize it was beyond their capabilities. I'm only so glad they trust my word."

"That's because you're practically family at this point. My mom accepted you the first time you came to visit. You're right, though. I know you're right. I need to go home. I need to talk to them. I need to talk to my Pokémon. I... I need to do a lot of things to be honest," she groaned, pushing her face into her hand and then through her hair. She glanced to Silver meekly, "How... how are they? My parents?"

"They're doing well enough. Worried, for sure. But mostly they miss you. They're still not sure why you left. None of us are, to be honest, besides Alder it seems. Frankly, it'd be nice to be in the loop and know myself," he semi-scoffed, eyes rolling, but then his expression softened. "But I don't expect you to say anything. Not yet, anyways. I know you better than most, after all, so I know you wouldn't go running off without some good reason. But you hurt people who deserve to know what happened."

"You're right. Again," she sighed, flopping back into her pillow. "I already told Leon, so... I guess it's time to tell everyone else, too—eventually. I need to go back and deal with what happened before that. On my own. Properly."

"Fair enough... but know I'll hold you to that now. Especially because you told someone you met a month ago first," he ground out, and despite her somber mood she let out a laugh.

"He got me at the right time. And, well, what can I say? He's my boyfriend."

"And if he reminds me one more time, I might throttle him. For Arceus' sake, not only would I never see you that way, I have a fiancé! I've even been wearing my ring!"

"Wait—what?" she guffawed, and he held up his hand, showing off the band in the same color as his name. "Whaaaaaaaat?! Who!?"

"One of my executives. She's stood with me since I took on rebuilding Team Rocket. You probably don't know her, but you'd like her. The point is, though, get your lover boy to calm down or Feraligator will make him."

"Oh, for the love of... okay, I'll talk to him. He's... new to the boyfriend thing, although I'm not much better to be honest," she sighed, pinching her brow. "Please be nice to him, Silver. Okay? I told him how you're my best friend, and I'd like you two to get along."

"Well, at least he was a Champion, so I know he's strong. He does have a Legendary, too, so he must have some worth to him."

"...And that's all you find redeeming?"

Silver rolled his eyes "I'll give him time to change my mind, alright?"

"I guess that will do," Cassandra groaned. "How are we friends again?"

"Arceus knows, but here we are," the ruby-haired man shrugged. He paused, recalling something, "By the way, the other Champions will want to talk with you as well. Lance and Alder are both busy helping the city, while Cynthia is handling the refugee work with me, and then Steven from Hoenn is using his company resources to provide food and shelter and keeping it all funded--diplomatic work while his Pokemon do labor. We've been working with all the Gym Leaders well enough, which apparently makes us the media darlings. These reporters are like Remoraid on a Mantine."

"Oh, boy. You're going to love learning about how they run things here."

"I doubt it. Anyways, you need to call Mom and Dad."

"Are you sure you're not my mom at this point?" she snickered. "But I will. I need to get a video phone soon, I guess. My pokégear won't cut it."

"Oh, no need; you can just use mine. I texted them, so they're calling now," he hummed, pulling his vibrating phone from his pocket. The redhead balked, eyes wide. Before she could protest, he accepted the call, and the video screen flared to life.

A ginger-haired, middle-aged woman gasped, hazel eyes wide, "Cassandra! My baby! Cassy! Ooooh! Oh! Oh, ohHenry! Hurry! It's Cassy! She's on the phone! I told you Silver would help us! He's such a good boy! Oh, my goodness, hurry, you lazy man! Hurry, hurry!"

"Oh boy. You better head out now," she groaned to her friend, who just smirked back as her father's voice echoed from off screen, begging his wife to calm down, as he'd be there shortly.

"Just return the phone later. See you 'round, 'Cas. It'll be nice to have you back home again," he spoke before standing and leaving her just as her father came into view. He looked older than before, like he'd aged more than the few years she'd been gone. New wrinkles around his blue eyes, and he had reading glasses she didn't remember him wearing before. Her mother was better, but she could see she'd been stressed, too. She really had hurt them, hadn't she? And yet, there they were, just so happy and excited to see her.

It made her eyes tear up and she let out a sob. It was short and sweet, and her mom teared up with her.

"Oh, sweetie. It's so good to see you. We missed you so much."

"It's good to see you, 'Cassy girl. Although, you're not exactly making us feel to good when you're in a hospital bed," her father chuckled, holding his wife close as she wiped tears from her eyes.

"Aaah, yeah. I just passed out from exhaustion is all. We had a rough time here—in Galar, sorry. I'm pretty far from home right now."

"Oh my, that is far! Even farther than Unova, I think! What in Arceus' name made you go there?" her mother huffed.

She chuckled, "Sometimes, I'm not sure, but... it's good thing I did, to be honest. A lot has happened. I made some new friends, both human and Pokémon—you'll love the three new guys I got here for my team. You'll love meeting the people, too. But, um, before that I... ah... Mom... Dad... I'm sorry. I... Sorry. About worrying you guys. I... I know I left... and I shouldn't have... I just..."

"It's okay, 'Cas," her father spoke up, his smile gentle and full of love. "We understand. We wish you'd talked to us... but you're talking now, and that's what matters. It's more than enough for right now. Just know we'll always be here when you want to talk about everything. Just... come home soon, alright? It's been a while since we all sat down and had a meal togetherlike the old days."

Cassandra didn't know when it started, but tears streamed down her face. She sobbed, dropping the phone to her lap, wiping at her face in vain. All the fears and anxieties of the years came unraveled, and the sheer relief from the release of pressure kept the tears coming. Her parents let her go on; let her release it all until she was a pitiful mess of red eyes and a runny nose. Her mother had tears of her own, and her dad would have, too, were he made of a different cloth. He was the stalwart type, though, and so kept his smile bright and shining for her when she finally brought the phone back up again.

"I'm sorry. I promise to come home—as soon as I finish up a lot of things I haven't yet. I... So much happened. There are things I can't... I don't want to say yet. But... there's been a lot of good, too. I made some good friends here in Galar like I said, and, um," she started, faltering as her thoughts flickered to a certain someone. "I, uh... may have... met someone."

Her mom's squeal of excitement could be heard all the way out in the hall, and Cassandra didn't know it then, but it was going to be a long, long day of explaining absolutely anything and everything about Leon to her mother, who had waited a lifetime for this day. Her father, of course, sat down to the side, enjoying a cup of tea, and adding his input every now and then. Regardless of what it was, she was just happy to talk with them again; to hear their voices and see their loving faces. She'd once thought they'd be so disappointed, and yet, here they were, so bright and joyful.

Maybe she could do this, then.

At least, that's what she thought until Leon popped in suddenly free of work.

"Hey, babe, I'm back. I was able to get away from things, and I brought some muffins from the cafe, if you feel up to eating?" he inquired as he set the brown back down beside her and placed a kiss on her cheek. He glanced down to the phone, curious as to who she was talking to and how she got the phone in the first place. He had to pause, though, blinking at the sight of the two middle-aged people, one of which looked exceedingly similar to his girlfriend. He gestured, "So, uh... who are they? Family or something?"

She let out a laugh, "Allow me to introduce you to Henry and Alicia. They're my parents."

The purple-haired man took a second to register the words and then gasped, face lighting up. He grasped the phone in his hand, holding it out so he could wave as he settled down beside the hospital bed.

"Hi! It's great to meet you! I'm Leon! Cassandra's boyfriend!" he beamed, not the least bit shy. Cassandra could only laugh.

Her mother's squeals, however, could be heard not only down the hall this time, but across all of Galar.

If one thing was certain, it was going to be a long, long embarrassing day for her and the man she loved and was forever grateful to have in her life, who was all too happy to meet her parents.

--------------------

Leon is the best, most goofiest bf fight me ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ He's any parents' dream and will make sure your daughter is home before 10... after showing her a CHAMPION time of course ;)

*scuttles away*

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

1.9K 92 24
"There are Pokémon that wish to do good...and there are those who desire harm. The line between the two is often blurred and sometimes, it is only by...
12.4K 550 46
Requests: CLOSED! Hi there! Ever wanted to know how Leon would react to your confession seconds before death? Or what would happen if Lillie fell dow...
687 8 12
1. Why not? I rewrote this for fun. 2. I want to see how much I have improved. I reread my first book and I'm cringing at my younger 11-year-old self...
10.9K 153 17
Quick Note: This story is not accurate in the Pokemon sword and shield plot... Some words will contain cringe or out of context sentence, Game Break...