Behind The Gate of Lakeview

By Rihanna_Adedeji

Jadeshola Badmus is not your regular female lead. She's outspoken, Brilliant, Sassy, beautiful, intelligent... More

Behind The Gate Of Lakeview
~one~
~Two~
~Three~
~Four~
~Five~
~Six~
~Seven~
~Eight~
~Nine~
~Ten~
~Eleven~
~Tweleve~
~Thirteen~
~Fourteen~
~Fourteen~ 2
~Fifteen~
~Sixteen~
~Seventeen~
~Eighteen~
~Nineteen~
~Twenty~
~Twenty One~
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
~Twenty Four~
~Twenty Five~
~Twenty Six~
~Twenty Seven~
~Twenty Eight~
~Twenty Nine~
~Thirty~
~Thirty One~
~Thirty Two~
~Thirty Three~
~Thirty Four~
~Thirty Five~
~Thirty Six~
~Thirty Seven~
Meet The Characters 💖
~Thirty Eight~
~Thirty Nine~
~Forty~
~Forty One~
~Forty Two~
~Forty Three~
~Forty Four~
~Forty Five~
~Forty Six~
~Forty Seven~
~Forty Eight~
~Forty Nine~
Fifty One
~Fifty Two~
~Fifty Three~
~Fifty Four~
~Fifty Five~
~Fifty Six~
Questions and Answers

~Fifty~

3.1K 766 445
By Rihanna_Adedeji

              Last Days at Lakeview High

                                  ~Jade~

It's been 5 days.

5 days since Zee's mom died.

She had handled everything strongly. Attending the funeral, sorting out her wears with her other relative. She said she saw it coming. How many cancer patients actually survive it?

I was still lowkey mad at Uthman even though he had been nothing but sweet and caring the past days.

But he still doesn't know what he did wrong? Just imagine oo!

It was all rainbow and sunshine until I walked into Michelle. It was a Saturday and we were attending a tutorial for our next exam, English Language.

She was pressing her phone and I was also pressing my phone when we bumped into each other. She looked up, her mouth opened to apologize. She closed it and dragged a long hiss when she saw it was me.

The she bumped into me harder, making me stagger and she started to walk away. I turned back and grabbed her by my hands. I would've loved to grab her by her hair but unfortunately for me, there was no hair to grab.

She looked back with a look of disgust on her face. She looked at where I held her hands before she attempted to yank her hands free but my grip was stronger. She twisted and twisted until she finally gave up.

'Now, what's your problem?'

She asked, her voice laced with annoyance.

I smiled at her and dragged her to the nearest corridor.

Which turned out to be our corridor. God! Every single thing was reminding me about Uthman. That one ehn.

I dropped her hands forcefully and suddenly that she slammed into the wall. I swear, I could hear her bone break.

Just joking though.

I blocked the way out of the corridor and after three unsuccessful attempts at walking away, she finally gave up.

'What now? If you haven't noticed, I've been avoiding you like a plague and I would very much appreciate it if you do the same for me. We have less than two months left.......'

I basically saw the saliva roll from her mouth and it landed on my nose before I could dodge it.

Jesu Kristi!

I wiped it with the back of my left hand.

And then, I slapped her.

I wasn't even thinking when I slapped her. My right hand just rose and hit her cheeks before I could stop myself. Her head jerked to the left side and she grabbed her cheeks with her hand. Her mouth opened in a small surprised O. She was surprised. I was surprised too because I never use violence. No matter how angry I get but I don't even know what I was thinking.

I wasn't even thinking at all.

She blinked, once, then twice and I could see tears pooling in her eyes. Then she raised her hand to slap me. I grabbed it.

'I wouldn't do that if I were you.'

Then I dropped her hands. It was obvious that she was seething with anger.

'How could you have stooped so low? Michelle? How could you? You're a disgrace to the whole generation of females. You're so pathetic and a waste of time and space.'

She laughed mitlessly, dropping her hand from her cheek.

'Are you the only one? You're so stucked up and yet, everybody likes you. Even Uthman, you managed to bewitch my Uthman with your fake sweet demeanor. He'll soon see you for what you truly are and he'll definitely come back to me.'

My Uthman?

My Uthman??

There are definitely levels to this girl's stupidity. Adding My, that possessive pronoun to MY OWN BOYFRIEND's name. She's definitely mad. My fingers were itching to slap her again but I kept calm, fisting my palm instead.

'Your Uthman? Of course he is your Uthman. If you can't understand something as simple as the fact that he likes me and I like him and we're an item. I don't understand how you're going to survive out there.'

I moved closer to her and ran my fingers over her face, the side I slapped.

'The world is crazy out there and they'll only take advantage of you with this your demented way of thinking.'

I turned back and started to walk away when she said.

'He should have had his way with you. Then, you won't even have the courage to talk down to people like this.'

I turned back, so suddenly and so abruptly that I nearly fell.

And I slapped her again.

And again.

The impact of the third slap made her hit her head against the wall and she fell down, tears streaming down her cheeks.

'You're just a pathetic piece of trash. I can't even believe we were friends at one point.'

I said and started to walk away.

But not before hearing.

'I don't blame you. I blame him for giving up the competition for you and for saving you.'

I rounded off the corridor.

I was shaking with anger as I walked to where the rest of the gang was. They were sitting on a reflection bench right under a tree. Hana was whispering something into Dan's ears and I approached them. They did not see me coming. I got there and yanked my bag away from Hana's laps.

'What are we still waiting for?'

I asked quietly, trying to keep anger out of my voice but I guess I failed miserably because Hana immediately reached for my hands.

'Bae, What's up? Did someone annoy you?'

'No'

I replied quietly, still trying to keep the anger out of my voice.

Hana gripped my hands tighter.

'But, you are clearly annoyed. What ha....'

'I said I'm fine. What part of I'm fine don't you understand?'

I snapped, yanking my hand away. Hana recoiled and I immediately regretted my action. I put out an hand to her.

'I'm sorry. I did not mean to snap. I just...... I'm just......'

I put an hand on my forehead. I couldn't even put how I was feeling into words.

'I'm not angry. This is not the first time you'd snap at me. I'm pretty much used to it.'

She shrugged and then walk away, Dan right behind her. She wasn't angry but she was probably irritated and she has every reason to be. I sat down dejectedly on the bench. My hand in between my knees. I don't know how long I was in that position until I felt someone pat my back. I jerked up. It was Uthman. I had even forgotten that he was here. He was sitting beside me, a little or no distance between us.

'Why are you this pissed off?'

Because your stupid Michele pissed me off. Totally.

I sat up and crossed my arms over my chest.

'What happened?'

He probed again and I opened my mouth to form words but I just couldn't. I closed it again.

Michelle said something about him giving up the competition for me. How true is that? Zee said something similar. I turned to look at him. His entire attention was focused on me. I momentarily moved back because of the intensity of his gaze.

'Why? What? Why are you staring at me like that?'

He shrugged, a lopsided grin on his face.

'Why? can't I stare at my girlfriend's face?'

I rolled my eyes and laughed. A small laughter that ended even before it started.

'In your dreams'

He smiled and moved closer, grabbing my hands.

Nah, you can't smile your way out of this.

I won't allow this smile to break my resolve.

'So, what pissed you off, Baby girl.'

'For the last time, stop calling me baby girl.'

He shrugged again, furrowed his brows in concentration.

'Or should I just call you baby doll?'

He asked, pretending to think for a while. I shook my head, trying to keep myself from laughing.

'Hmm hmm. Baby goat ni. You've not seen your baby girl oo. Just keep searching.'

'I really think I found her already.'

Dourh

'So why are you so angry?'

This boy won't even allow this to pass?

I opened my mouth to tell him nothing just as my phone vibrated in my bag. I took it out and it was the driver. That means he around. I glanced up and look at the garage. The car was there.

Uthman at my phone when I turned back to look at him and I flashed the phone in his face.

'That's the driver. He's already around. I guess I have to go now.'

I stood up and he grabbed my hands. I looked down at him, mouthing what.

'So, should I call you tonight?'

You're even asking? Father lord, please borrow my boyfriend sense.

'No, we broke up, remember?'

He smiled and stood up.

'Alright Ma. You'll sha at least allow me to walk you to the car.'

I did not answer as I turned and we started to walk to the car.

Okay! If they born you well, don't call me.

**********

Michelle's words were at the back of my mind till I got home and Zee had even said something similar.

Could it be true?

Did Uthman really give up the competition for me?

What were the odds?

He was perfectly fine a day to the contest. He was more than perfectly fine self. Only for him to have a severe malaria that did not allow him to attend the contest.

Thinking back now, I just realized that the facts did not add up. It's just that I've not allowed myself to think about it. I just never thought....

My thoughts were suspended when I walked into Zee. Her hair was loosely held in a ponytail. Her eyes were swollen and baggy. She smiled a little when she saw me.

'Baby. How was your tutorial?'

'It was fine. Where are you going?'

'Aunty Lara's house. I might sleep there so don't wait for me.'

I was about to say something but she sidestepped me and walked away. I turned back, watching her retreating back. I heaved a sigh and walked into my room. My phone rang immediately I entered my room. It was Akin.

'Our wife. How're you?'

I rolled my eyes as I leaned on the door.

'Who is your wife? You people should better keep looking for a wife'

I heard his deep throated laughter on the other end.

'You and Uthman ehn. It's only God that can save the both of you. Anyway. Hana told me that you were pissed off by something. What happened?'

I mentally laughed. Trust Hana.

'Nothing much. It's just my mood swing.'

'Iya moodswing. E rora oo.'

I smiled.

I could just use this opportunity to.....

'Akin?'

'Yes, our wife.'

I hissed.

'Stop calling me that lame name oo.'

I paused a little and he laughed again.

'So, on the day of ECOWAS Oratory Contest, was Uthman really sick.'

The brief silence from the other end of the line confirmed it. I needed no other answer than that.

'You know, you should just ask Uthman. He's the only one with the answer to that.'

Dourh. I already know.

'Yeah'

We said our goodbyes a minute or two later.

So Uthman really did gave up the competition for me. I don't even know what or how to feel.

Why did he do that?

Because he wanted you to win.

But why? Why? Why?

I thought I just answered that.

Oh Shut it!

                               ***********

                                ~Uthman~

We officially finished WAEC today.

There was a giddy feeling in the air. Like seriously, it felt like we started yesterday. My mates were talking in loud and animated voices. The school gave us a week break and our NECO starts in exactly two weeks.

'Wow. I can't believe our we're done with WAEC. After all the hullabaloo and noises our teachers made about it. What's the difference between the questions we answered here and the questions we did for our Mock exams?'

Paulina asked. They were walking in front of us. Paul and Paulina. These people should definitely invite me to their wedding oo. They started dating in SS1 and they were still together.

'You know, in our mathematics teacher's voice, it's not about the exam questions self. It's about the person that would end up making your scripts. What if you scripts ended up with a drunkard? That one will just mark everything as wrong for you.'

Another classmate replied her and we all burst into laughter. Jadeshola laughed so hard that she had to grip my hands for support in case her legs failed her.

'Or who knows? He might mark you right. All the questions.'

Akin replied the person in between laughter. Then he added as a afterthought, clampsing his hands together as if praying.

'Baba God, that's the kind of person you should direct my answer scripts too oo, Insha Allah.'

Ayisha who was walking beside him, slapped his back playfully.

'I pity you dear. What a prayer point. Aanu e semi' (I pity you).

'Eeh, come on, should I include you in my prayer?'

Ayisha burst into laughter, still clinging to him.

'Thanks boo but this girl is not interested.'

I smiled at them. They actually look good and cute together.

Jade's hands were still resting against mine. I smiled as I took her hands in mine, intertwining them. She paused for a minute before she yanked her hands away. I stared down at her.

'Baby.....'

'... Goat'

She interrupted and I burst into laughter before I could stop myself. Akin and Ayisha turned to look at us, a bemused expression on Akin's face.

'Jade, please keep entertaining Uthman oo and Uthman, keep enjoying her humor. Trust me, it's premium.'

He said and they turned back. I glanced at Jade again and I opened my mouth to talk.
She beat me to it.

'Don't talk to me oo'

I laughed again.

Minutes later, we were both leaning on the fence of Lakeview. Our drivers were not yet around. Some of us left ahead. Dan and Hana had left. Ayisha and Akin had gone off to God knows where. Some guys were playing ball on the field and I longed to join them but won ti e bimi da. (They don't born me well. (Literally)). Jade would have my head. We were both quiet for a while before I finally broke the silence.

'Okay. I'm sorry'

She said nothing for a while.

'What exactly are you sorry for?'

I don't even know what I was apologizing for but I guessed I must have done something wrong.

'Everything.'

She clampsed her hands together.

'You see? You don't even know what you're apologizing for.'

I nodded slowly.

'I've racked my brain countless times and I still can't pinpoint what I did wrong? The PES?'

She rolled her eyes.

'Keep racking your brain then. You'll know where to find me when you finally find an answer.'

Then she attempted to walk away, I pulled her back so she was standing directly in front of me.

With Zero distance in between us.

This is how you lose concentration.

Jade kept her gaze on my chest. That was where her height reached anyway.

'So tell me, what did I do wrong? I can't know if you don't tell me.'

Was that my voice?

Nah, it's John Boyega's.

'You have to think about it deeply. It's not that hard.'

I did not say anything for a while, thinking about what I might have done.

'You became this angry after we left the conference too so I figured out it was something I did while we were in there. Was it because I told Mrs Nwokeji that we were dating?'

'No'

'Because I said we should leave the conference room?'

She shook her head. Now, what could it be? When we left the conference room, the only thing she said was..... My lips stretched into a smile when I finally realized why she was this angry.

'Was it because we got caught? Because I did not lock the door properly?'

I asked teasingly and she said nothing. That confirmed it for me. Wow.

'Really?'

'No'

'Yes'

'No'

'Yes'

'I said no'

She said, almost snapping. Then she looked up to me, muttering something like 'I can't believe it took you this long to realize that.'

I couldn't stop myself from laughing.

I moved closer to whisper into her ears.

'Don't worry, we could go into an empty classroom now or......'

She did not allow me to finish before she freed herself from my grip.

'Not happening boo.'

That she stucked out her tongue and leaned beside me on the wall.

'Come on. This is like a perfect opportunity.'

I said, turning to look at her. She shook her head, muttering alakoba.

'See, my driver is here. See you in a week's time'

Then, she started to walk away just as the ball they were playing rolled to where I was. I started juggling it.

'I'll make it up to you.'

I said as soon as she got to the car.

She gave me the middle finger but I bet she was smiling as she did that.

God! I like this babe way too much.

'Man, are you not going to pass the ball?'

Someone called out from the field. I shrugged off my shirt and joined them in playing. I went off, dribbling all the players that came my way. Then, I kicked the ball into the nearest goalpost.

And it's a goal.

I did not even have a team.

********

I opened the front door of our house only to be greeted by the strong scent of èfó. It was so strong that I could literally taste it on my tongue.

When was the last time I ate it?

I paused momentarily. Where was the aroma coming from? Surely it couldn't be.....

'Ain't you going to give your sister a welcome back hug?'

I turned to the direction of the voice. It was really Moji, she was sitting on the sofa with a legs crossed under her. She was watching Henry Danger and it was an episode where Piper was driving. I saw Piper in Moji every single day.

I was still standing there in shock when she stood up and ran to me. She hugged me, her hug nearly knocking me over.

'We're back. Finally!'

I guess we all saw that coming. Moji and her mom returning home, I mean.

Michelle oooo 😂😂😂 I've even completely forgotten about that one until Jade waka into her. She's a stupid one. I swear.

It seems like they've settled their fight. I don't think they were even fighting in the first place. Jade is too dramatic and Uthman, well smh for him.

Did your WAEC script end up with a drunkard? Even if it did, hope it was the good kinda one, the one Akin said.

Obviously, this story is coming to an end very soon. 😭😭😭 I don't even want to think about that now.

Next update should be on Wednesday.

Don't forget to click on the star button Sir and Ma.

And I love you, like always.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8K 364 32
WARNING ⚠️ This book I am not proud of and I could have done better. In my opinion it's kinda bad but be my guest to give it a shot and find out you...
731K 19.7K 72
Ever since Jaylen was younger, the only thing in his mind was basketball. Win championships throughout school, then, eventually, get drafted into the...
14.3K 4.3K 67
She is beautiful. He is handsome. She is rich and kind. He is wealthy and arrogant. She believes in love and finding her soulmate. He hates love and...
163K 32.1K 62
| PUBLISHED ON HINOVEL | | PUBLISHED ON RNOVEL | | PUBLISHED ON READOO | | PUBLISHED ON VOLCANOEBOOK | "Love is needing someone, Love is puttin...