Lumos (Newt Scamander Fan Fic...

By MeddowsMaylor

"Newt stood there for a moment barley moving. I'm not even sure he breathed. But then, he stepped close to me... More

Cast
DISCLAIMER
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four

Chapter Five

13 2 0
By MeddowsMaylor

"I WAS WATCHING YOU at dinner," Newt said to Jacob. That's a strange way to start a sentence.

"Yeah?"

"People like you, don't they, Mr Kowalski?" Newt commented shyly.

I had to agree with that statement. Jacob was very likeable. I'd liked him very much since the moment I met him; he was just a good guy.

"Oh, well, I'm sure people like you too," Jacob said. He seemed taken aback by Newt's comment but only proved it further with his response. He hadn't even accepted the compliment before he had started to try to make Newt feel good too.

"No, not really, I annoy people," Newt stated in a very matter-of-fact manner.

"I don't think you're annoying," I told him, touching his arm on instinct. He seemed to flinch at my touch but didn't shake me off.

"Well, I annoy most people," he laughed a little, smiling down at me. He was so tall.

"Why did you decide to be a baker, Jacob?" I asked him, trying to avoid an awkward silence.

"Well,  uh, because I'm dying in that canning factory. Everyone there's dying. It just crushes the life right out of you. Do you like canned food?" he asked.

"No," Newt and I said in unison. I laughed at him.

"Me neither. That's why I wanted to make pastries, you know. It makes people happy," he said.

He was such a nice guy.

"So did you get your loan?" Newt asked. He clearly hadn't been listening earlier when Queenie announced that neither me nor Jacob had gotten a loan.

"No. I ain't got no collateral. Stayed in the army too long or something, apparently. I dunno," he shrugged sorrowfully.

"You fought in the war?" Newt seemed intrigued.

"Of course I fought in the war, you didn't?" Jacob was shocked at the idea of it.

"I worked mostly with dragons. Ukrainian Ironbellies. Eastern Front." Newt said.

"Dragons? Like...actual fire breathing dragons?" I questioned, stopping dead in my tracks.

"Yup, actual fire breathing dragons. They are real, you know. Why do you think almost every culture in the world has a concept of a dragon?" Newt questioned with a chuckle.

"I never thought about that," I said, looking off into the distance.

Newt suddenly stopped and began closely inspecting the sidewalk as if he was looking for footprints. He followed a trail and walked past a jewellery store before quickly backing up and having a second look.

Behind the glass was the little Niffler that had stolen my necklace. It was standing next to an open jewellery box holding its arm out with necklaces draped over it. It was trying to look like a jewellery stand.

I giggled but quickly stopped when Newt produced his wand and caused the glass to break.

He wasted no time at all in stepping inside the shop display and trying his best to catch the niffler. He grabbed hold of the chandelier causing it to spin round a few times and then fall off the ceiling and onto the floor where it then smashed.

"Oh, we're gonna get into so much trouble!" I cried, holding my hands to the side of my head.

Jacob just stood and watched, occasionally spinning around to ensure that no one else was seeing what we were seeing.

Suddenly, the latch on the case flipped again. Jacob and I watched it and heard the roar that came from one of the creatures inside. I swiftly rushed over and closed the latch again.

Almost as soon as I had done this, the sound of glass breaking caused my head to shoot up. Newt and the Niffler had fallen onto the ground outside the store. Newt was lying flat on his back looking slightly stunned.

Jacob wasted no time in trying to stop the niffler from getting away by stomping his foot in its path. It totally ignored him and ran away anyway.

Newt, Jacob and I ran after it. Who knew it would take two people and an actual wizard to catch something this small?

Newt shot a spell at it which seemed to slow time down for it and pull it in the opposite direction, towards Newt. Lots of jewels and other shiny objects flew out of its pouch as it flew backwards. It tried in vain to grab a hold of the diamonds to keep them. We had to constantly dodge the heavy jewellery.

The niffler suddenly rounded a corner and flew straight into another glass window where it became stuck like it was in jello.

"Alright, happy?" Newt said, rushing over to it. He grabbed hold of it and yanked it out of the rubbery glass. "One down, two to go," he said.

The sound of sirens caused me to turn around. The police had us surrounded. Jacob and I stood with our hands up while Newt was still shaking the Niffler to get the jewelry out of its pouch. He suddenly glanced up and noticed the police.

The police officers cocked their guns and pointed them at us. We were covered from head to foot in the stolen jewelry.

"They went that way officer," Jacob said. (A/N-Can I just say this is my favourite line in the whole movie)

"Hands up!" The officer said.

I stood slightly behind Newt's shoulder. I was terrified of authority.

"What the hell is that?" Another officer questioned, pointing to the niffler shaped bulge in Newt's coat. Newt placed his hand on top of it and tried to flatten it, smiling awkwardly.

I gasped when my eye caught something that was further down the street. All the men who were present jumped at the sudden noise I'd made.

"L-lion," I stammered, pointing to it.

All the officers turned and pointed their guns at the male lion which was growling at us.

"Wow! New York is considerably more interesting than I'd expected," Newt exclaimed quietly. Jacob and I looked at him incredulously but only for a second as Newt grabbed the case and us and then we were in Central Park.

"How are you doing that?!" I closed my eyes slightly and waited out the wave of nausea which hit me because of the spinning.

"It's called Apparating; all wizards and witches can do it. Well, all those over the legal age. Most people are sick on their first times; you two are doing really well," Newt told us.

"Thanks," Jacob replied.

"Let's go," Newt said, running towards the bridge.

Jacob and I did our best to catch up with him. We only stopped because an ostrich ran right through the middle of us. It nearly knocked me over but Newt grabbed my shoulders to stop me falling.

Suddenly, Newt forced a helmet into Jacob and I's hands. "Put this on," he instructed.

"Why?" I questioned. I wasn't sure if I wanted to even know the answer.

"Because your skull is susceptible to breakage under immense force," Newt explained nonchalantly.

"And your isn't?!" I yelled.

Newt merely shrugged and then ran away from us again. I sighed and begrudgingly followed him.

"Right," Newt said, reaching into his pocket and producing two chest plates. "If you just, um, pop this on," he instructed again, fitting the plates to each of us and tying them at the back.

"Now there's absolutely nothing for either of you to worry about,"

"Tell me, has anyone actually believed you when you said there's nothing to worry about?" I questioned.

"Well, my philosophy is: if you worry, you suffer twice," Newt told us and ran away again.

"That's great. That's so great, isn't that great, Jacob?" I said. "I'm losing my mind,"

When I eventually caught up to him, Newt was standing listening to the sound of the grunting animal.

"She's in season," he said. "she needs to mate,"

When I finally got a look at the animal, it was cornering a hippo which look absolutely terrified. I didn't blame the hippo; I'd be scared too if that thing was looking to mate with me.

"Well, you're not gonna do much good are you?! I mean, are you?" I whisper-yelled. I wasn't quite sure how far Newt was prepared to go to get his creatures back inside the case.

Jacob and Newt both furrowed their eyebrows at me. "What is wrong with you?" Jacob asked quietly.

Newt was already over my comment and was taking the lid off another tube full of liquid. He put the liquid onto his wrists and neck like he was applying cologne.

"Erumpent musk, she's mad for it," he explained.

I caught a whiff of the liquid. It was pretty stinky. Newt was seriously going to need a shower after this.

He handed the tube to Jacob who smelled it and scrunched his nose at the scent.

"You two go and stand behind that cage. Do not make a sound," Newt told us. Jacob and I didn't have to be told twice to get out of the way.

We watched as Newt opened his case a little bit away from where the Erumpent stood. He walked closer to the animal and then bent down in a low squat. The Erumpent turned to look at him after he made the strangest sound I've ever heard a person make. Newt then began to oink. I stifled a giggle and Jacob looked incredulously at Newt who was hopping around all over the place and dragging his foot along the ground.

Newt presented his best side to the animal and started to jerk his head around all over the place. He was still oinking. This was the funniest thing I'd ever seen. The Erumpent watched as Newt lifted his leg and rolled over onto his back. The Erumpent copied him, making happy sounds.

I then noticed that Jacob was becoming particularly interested in the tube of musk. "What are you doing?" I asked him, rushing over to grab it but in the process, I spilled it all over both of us.

"You're an idiot," Jacob said.

We turned to look at the creature which had definitely picked up on the scent. I grabbed Jacob's hand and we started running as fast as we could into the next enclosure. Jacob screamed as we heard the large footsteps of the creature getting closer.

We ran over a load of ice and onto the rock in the middle that a seal must sit on. The ice broke up under our feet but we kept going. The Erumpent fell straight into the water but that didn't phase it. It nearly got us but we jumped off the rock and landed on the ice below.

The Erumpent fell through the ice again when it copied us but it kept coming after us.

We climbed up a tree and held onto the branch for dear life. The Erumpent fell on its back under the tree and tried to get at us like a baby tries to get at a mobile.

"Newt!" We yelled at the same time.

The Erumpent stuck its horn into the tree trunk and caused the tree to heat up from the inside. Jacob and I looked at each other before the tree fell onto the ground with us still attached.

It landed on the ground with a hard thud causing a searing pain to shoot through my arm. I screamed but got up anyway and ran into the middle of the lake that had frozen over. Jacob and I ran as fast as we could along the ice. The Erumpent tried to do the same but slipped and fell on its front, sliding after us.

Suddenly, Newt appeared out of nowhere infront of the Erumpent with the case open wide for it. Jacob and I had collapsed onto the ice and held onto each other as the animal grew closer and closer.

The animal only reached us enough to lick Jacob's face before it disappeared inside the case and we were met with Newt closing it. I was beyond relieved to see him.

"Good show, Mr Kowalski, Miss Walker," Newt finally said.

Jacob held out his hand to him as a sign of thank you. "Jacob," he said.

Newt shook his hand.

"And you can call me Ruth," I told him.

When I attempted to stand up though, the pain in my arm caused me to collapse again.

"You're hurt," Newt stated, touching my arm gently.

"I know," I laughed a little.

"Let's get inside, and I'll fix you up," he told me.

He wrapped his arm around my waist (even though I could definitely walk unaided) and led Jacob and I towards the open case.

A/N

I was so into that world there that I genuinely forgot about everything else. That's what I truly love about the Wizarding World. It just takes you to a completely different world. A new place where you're not you anymore and you don't have any problems to worry about anymore. I love JK Rowling so much.

This is my favourite bit in the movie. I love the fact that Newt's wand gets stolen by a monkey. And the wee mating dance thing is the funniest thing I've ever seen. Hats off to Eddie, I would never be able to do that in front of a camera crew and know that millions of people are going to see it. That's why I love him so much.

Keep reading!

Xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

150K 3.1K 45
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
1M 35.2K 62
๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐†๐ˆ๐‘๐‹ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โi just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!โž ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
1M 39.4K 92
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...
1.2M 53.2K 99
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC