darling - n.mikaelson

By annabellapi

"Nothing is with me now but a sound,   A heart's rhythm, a sense of stars" - W. H. Auden, Compline In which C... More

darling
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
Epilogue

24

26.4K 734 392
By annabellapi

They were all silent while they waited, Klaus did his best to appear as though he wasn't only staring at Charlotte and they all did their best to pretend he wasn't there at all. Klaus' focus was the most concentrated, he wasn't going to appear weak by letting them know how he really cared for someone who'd do openly defied time and time again.

The doors banged open for a third time, Stefan appearing at the door. Charlotte's face fell as he walked through, she was grateful he was alive, but Klaus was in a particularly cruel mood today and she knew he would take out his rage at Elena's presence and Charlotte's defiance on her brother.

"Stefan," Elena whispered in shock as she saw him, standing to her feet.

"Klaus," Stefan called out, he'd seen Charlotte in the corner and was relieved she was okay, his eyes then fell to Elena but he didn't acknowledge her, instead walking to Klaus as though neither girl was there.

"Come to save your damsel, mate?" Klaus called out mockingly.

"I came to ask for your forgiveness, and pledge my loyalty," Stefan replied, now standing in front of Klaus.

"Well, you broke that pledge once already."

Charlotte stood from her spot, sure things were going to get ugly and Stefan called out desperately to Klaus, "Elena means nothing to me anymore. And whatever you ask of me, I will do."

"Fair enough," Klaus replied, smiling maliciously and jumping to his feet towards Dana and Chad, "Let's drink on it."

"Klaus, stop it," Charlotte called, walking towards them.

Klaus ignored her he still felt sore at her words earlier and unable to gain her forgiveness he continued to lash out, "Kill them," he commanded, pointing ahead at Dana and Chad who shuffled back with fright. When Stefan didn't move towards them his face screwed up with displeasure, "What are you waiting for? Kill them."

"No, Stefan. Don't," Elena begged out, she could see the temptation in his eyes and the trouble he was having resisting, "He's not going to hurt me he already said that-"

Klaus was furious, he suddenly backhanded Elena across the face, causing her to fly across the room. Charlotte ran to her while Stefan ran at Klaus who caught him by his neck, pulling him from where he stood and holding him up with rage.

"She means nothing to you?" Klaus asked Stefan furiously. Charlotte meanwhile was helping Elena who was clutching her lip in pain while the side of her face that had been hit quickly reddened, "Your lies just keep piling up."

"Let her go," Stefan begged, "I'll do whatever you want. You have my word."

"Your word doesn't mean much," Klaus replied, noticing from the corner of his eye that Charlotte had left Elena and moved towards Dana and Chad, "I lived by your word all summer during which time I never had to resort to this," Stefan was shaking as Klaus began to compel him, "Stop fighting."

"Don't do this," Stefan begged, "Don't do this."

"I didn't want to. All I wanted was your allegiance. Now I'm going to have to take it."

"Don't, don't," Stefan whimpered.

"You will do exactly as I say when I say it," Klaus compelled him causing Stefan to stop struggling in his grip, "You will not run. You will not hide. You will simply just obey."

Charlotte had made her way to Dana and Chad, she was trying to pull them towards the doors, knowing once Stefan was compelled, he wouldn't be able to do anything but kill them. Dana and Chad had been told to sit tight, they felt like they couldn't move properly but the loophole she was working with was that if she tugged them away, perhaps it would be okay and they could leave. She knew Klaus would most likely stop them before they made it even to the doors but if she couldn't help Stefan she could at least try with them.

"No," Elena cried out in horror, "Stefan–"

"Now," Klaus was smiling at Stefan as he commanded him, "kill them, Ripper."

The veins appeared beneath Stefans eyes and he leapt from his place. As he sped forwards Klaus did too, moving and snatching Charlotte out of the way before Stefan reached Dana and Chad. Charlotte could feel her heart pounding in her chest at the near miss and as much as she wanted to sink into his grip she knew she had to pull herself away. 

"I did just save your life be a little grateful darling," Klaus snarked out. 

"I wouldn't need saving if it wasn't for you," Charlotte spat, pulling herself out from his grip. She could see he wanted to reply, likely with some equally snarky remark but she turned away, towards Elena. Klaus followed, crouching on Elena's other side to goad her in absence of Charlotte.

"It's always nice to see a vampire in his true element," here Klaus paused, a grin on his face as he looked between the two girls he was taunting, "The species has become such a broody lot."

"No," Elena was shaky as she replied, "you did this to him."

"I invited him to the party, love. He's the one dancing on the table."

Charlotte pulled Elena to her feet and away from Klaus. She couldn't stop what was happening but at least if Elena didn't have to watch, they could both pretend they weren't hearing Stefan murdering her classmates.

Elena's hand was still clutched in hers gratefully and she felt it squeeze tighter in shock as the doors slammed open, Rebekah storming in.

"Where is it?" Rebekah cried furiously, "Where's my necklace?"

Klaus snarled at her interjection, "What are you talking about?"

"She has my necklace," Rebekah whined now holding out a phone for Klaus to see, "Look!"

Klaus had a smile covering his face now, "Well, well," He looked between Elena, Stefan, and Charlotte, "More lies."

"I don't have it anymore," Elena stammered out.

Charlotte knew it wasn't a good enough answer. Klaus would be mad at her response and so as she spoke, Charlotte used their joined hands to pull Elena behind her hoping she could use herself as a barrier between her and their anger. As soon as Elena was behind her it seemed, Rebekah's rage overcame her and she leapt at them, too caught up in her fury to realise that Charlotte stood in Elena's place.

"You're lying!" Rebekah screamed as she flew forward.

Charlotte felt a sharp pain in her neck that rose into a burning hot throbbing. There was pressure as Rebekah greedily pulled the blood from her neck, pushing hard against Charlotte until she was ripped away. 

Klaus had pulled Rebekah off Charlotte with such a ferocity that she'd flown across the room. 

"Knock it off," he yelled, his eyes turning anxiously to Charlotte who now had a hand clutching her neck, stumbling into Elena who caught her and pulled her up.

"Make them tell me where it is, Nik," Rebekah whined again, standing and pouting beside him as though he hadn't just tossed her the distance of the basketball court.

Klaus watched Charlotte with concern though he tried to hide it, turning to Elena by her side, "Where's the necklace, sweetheart? Be honest."

"I'm telling the truth. Katherine stole it."

"Katerina. Of course. Well that's unfortunate, if we had the necklace it'd make things a whole lot easier for your witch. Since we're doing this the hard way let's put a clock on it shall we."

Klaus was frustrated, this day was not going the way he'd hoped, he wanted to speed the process up a little and so he sped over and started the gym clock, counting down.

"Twenty minutes. If Bonnie hasn't found a solution by then I want you to feed again," his directions were towards Stefan now, "only this time i want you to feed on Elena. You know you want to."

"Stop it," Charlotte yelled at him, her hand still clutching her neck with blood flowing out in greater waves than she could sustain, "don't do this to him."

Klaus ignored her, if she'd only told the truth he wouldn't have to resort to something like this. She opened her mouth to yell at him again when he began to turn away disinterested in her defence but a wave of dizziness hit her instead, the energy expended too much for the blood she was losing.

Before Charlotte could do more than buckle her knees, Klaus had sped over to her and caught her by the waist, "No one leaves," Klaus told Stefan before glancing pointedly at Elena, "If she tries to run, fracture her spine."

Charlotte's head was fuzzy, as fuzzy as when she was too drunk. Her hand still covered her bleeding neck but her free arm was now balled into Klaus' shirt, doing its best to keep her upright.

Her knees buckled again and this time her head fell against his chest. He was saying something to Stefan again but Charlotte kept her focus on staying up and awake, her legs moving unconsciously as Klaus tugged her from the room. She felt him push her on top of a desk and she fought to make her head focus on the situation, looking up she saw Klaus watching her with terrified eyes.

"Darling, you've lost a lot of blood," Klaus explained and Charlotte scoffed, amused at his explanation as though she could be unaware, "let me heal you."

"I'm surprised you're not just going to force it down my throat this time," Charlotte spat out, pushing him away before her head spun again and she was forced to grab on to him to stay steady.

"I was wrong. Please let me help you."

Charlotte's head was throbbing. She knew she should stop being so stubborn and just accept his offer but she didn't want to give into him. He couldn't just force her one moment and then beg the next as though he was kind enough to give her a choice. He couldn't just pick and choose when he'd allow her some semblance of free will.

Charlotte pushed him away again, using what little energy she had to push herself from the desk she was sitting on and back to her feet.

"You can't–" Charlotte broke off as her knees buckled. 

Klaus caught her again, helping her to the ground this time before biting into his wrist and holding it out, "Please Charlotte. Darling please. If you don't drink and you die, you still have my blood in your system."

Another wave of dizziness passed over her and she reluctantly pulled his arm to her lips and drank. Klaus sighed in relief, running the fingers of his other hand through her hair as he watched the wound stitch itself back together and heard her heart rate returning to a normal pace. Charlotte pulled away at last and his arm retracted but he didn't stop running his fingers through her hair until she shifted away.

Klaus needed to go and check on the witch and his hybrid, he knew it was nearing the time but he didn't want to break the silence between them. His chest clutched with pain as he watched her, waiting for the next moment she would push him away again. Wishing he could take everything back, every time her eyes set on him with disappointment and disgust the regret flowed over him.

"What now?" Charlotte's voice was low, not angry like he'd expected but resigned and soft, "Are you going to manhandle me to the car again after this? Keep me under lock and key until Stefan and my 10 year contract runs out?" Klaus' face fell and Charlotte continued, "I don't want to watch as you torture my brother and his girlfriend. Let me at least stay here until you're done with your cruelty."

Klaus didn't know how to reply, he couldn't pull his eyes from her even as she turned her face away from his. He stayed a moment, he didn't want to leave her but he didn't want to tug her hating him either. Finally with one last look he left the room, leaving her alone like she wanted.

a.n. so. . .  I'm still planning on finishing this but if i had an elijah story rattling around in my head would anyone read it?

It's been several years now since I wrote this and I want you to know the Elijah story has exited my head and is available on wattpad. you should read it, it's. . .  only somewhat less heartbreaking than this. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.7K 428 12
[ ABANDONED ] "Living or dying. Which is better?" [ KOL MIKAELSON X OC ] [ TVD SEASON 3-4 ]
229K 9.7K 35
Where a bored fairy leaves her homeland to travel around the human world. To learn new things and have adventures. Which she will and much more... Va...
60.6K 1.2K 13
Isabella Salvatore has never been able to live a normal life. She HAS tried over thirty times. Isa has been able to be reborn when ever she wanted, t...