Snap Happy (A Daniel Ricciard...

By Twentysomething

When failed photographer and failed girlfriend Emily Taylor goes to Monaco to get over a broken heart she doe... More

(Introduction) Sleepless In Monaco
2: Opening Moves
3: Staying Focused
4. Holding on and letting go
5. Decent Exposure
6. Down To Business
7. We'll Meet Again?
8. Friends Will Be Friends
9. Surprise!
10. Uphill or Downhill?
11. Past and Presents
12. A Load of (Red) Bull
13. A matter of time
15. Makeup
16. Homeward Bound
17. Ein großes verdammtes Durcheinander
18. Brief Encounters
19. Unless I'm Very Much Mistaken...
20. Scream If You Wanna Go Faster
21. Meet The Parents (Again)
22. Mission Impossible
23. Caught
24. Up In The Air
25. Downfall
26. Withdrawal Symptoms
27. Worlds Apart
28. One Of Us
29. Perspective
30. United
31. "You're My Favourite Deputy"
32. Four Letter Word
33. The Call
34. Judgement Day
35. GRAND Finale
36. Parents, Pools, and (near) Public Nudity
37. New Year, New Beginnings
38. Some Say...
39. Many Happy Returns
The Perfect Plan (Bonus Chapter)
**Announcement - New Story!**
Christmas Special
Snap Happy - an explanation
Still Here

14. The Tension and the Spark

5.3K 76 19
By Twentysomething

EMILY

RED FLAG!

A murmur went up around the track from those who hadn't seen the accident on the big screens. For those of us on the Wellington straight, the reason was obvious. The remains of Kimi Raikkonen's scarlet Ferrari lay against the Armco barrier and the Finn was still inside, although thankfully he was moving. Debris was strewn across the track, the path of devastation obvious. 

My first real challenge as an F1 photographer 

I had seen the car shooting past me towards the barrier and fought every urge to either a) stay routed to the spot and just watch in horror, or b) turn away and close my eyes. Instead I kept the camera to my face and my finger on the shutter, trying not to think about what I would do if it had been Dan not Kimi hurtling out of control at 150mph. 

Like a boomerang how ironic, my mind kept returning to the enthralling Australian. He had appeared strangely distracted after practice yesterday, and a disappointing eighth place grid slot seemed to suggest that this hadn't worn off later in the day. I hadn't reminded him about his previous invitation to the after-party and he hadn't brought it up. It was probably just as well - as I'd told him before I wasn't designed for celebrity parties - I didn't have the confidence, the looks, or the wardrobe. Mind you the chance to take a spin on the dancefloor against Daniel's toned body was a far from unpleasant thought and I had packed one decent outfit...just in case...

The welcome sound of engines interrupted my reverie. I switched hurriedly back into Professional Mode and enjoyed a thrilling race, the British public getting a rare opportunity to celebrate a British victory and boy did they enjoy it, the Grandstands errupting behind me as i reached the pit straight just in time. More importantly (to my mind) it was another podium for Daniel, and one I wanted to be there to enjoy every minute of, although there were definitely divided loyalties as he held off a fast-finishing Jenson for third. 

"Hey!"

Somehow Darren had materialised by my side.

"Hey, good day? Where you end up?" I shouted above the cheers.

"Started at Abbey and worked round, you?"

"Wellington, then round to Woodcote and Copse before heading back down here"

"Wellington?" His eyes widened. "Did you get it?

I didn't need to ask what 'it' was.

"Yeah, I THINK so -  I'll need to get them on the screen to see properly"

""Nice job" he raised his hand for a high-five and did my hopes of going to the next Grand Prix no harm whatsoever. 

I stood on tiptoe and raised my camera above my head as the drivers walked on to the podium to another explosion of sound. It was clearly a popular result and there was a lot of support for Valtteri and Daniel as well, both of whom had exceded all expectations so far this year. There was only one man who could light up a podium like that though, and his smile seemed to go straight to me. 

***

I hurried back to the village as soon as the media calls were completed, knowing that Daniel would still be busy for a while yet, at least with the German Grand Prix coming up in a fortnights time, there was no need for another lingering goodbye assuming I had done enough to secure my job of course. I frantically stuffed everything into my case, knowing that if I was going to be able to call a taxi and make the train tonight, that I was going to have to hurry. Blame Kimi for that one! 

My phone rang in my pocket, and I cursed, throwing an armful of clothes on to the bed.

"Where are you?"

"Packing! I have to leave 5 minutes ago!"

"I thought you were coming to the after-party" there was disappointment in his voice and I hesitated.

"Dan, you never said anything more about it and I don't even know when or where it is so I thought..."

"London..."

"LONDON????"

"Well you didn't think there were any big venues in this part of the country did you?"

"I just assumed it would be at the circuit somewhere...I can't get to London - I've got all my stuff with me and I don't even have a car, or a hotel reservation!!"

"Yeah but I do..." he paused, and I let this information sink in. I really didn't know where this was going, and I wasn't sure I was prepared to ask either.

"I can't expect you to do that"  temptation was creeping in and I knew that another minute or two and I'd probably give way.

" I want to, and you promised you'd go with me"

"I said MAYBE!" I cut in quickly. 

"You didn't say no - I'll pick you up in an hour, we can change when we get to London"

The phone went dead and I remained where I was on the floor, all thoughts of the train forgotten. 

"I guess you're gonna get an outing after all" I said to the crumpled dress in front of me, and went downstairs to see if I could borrow an iron. 

***

The drive down was surprisingly relaxed - the bulk of the raceday traffic had cleared and we cruised down to the sounds of miscellaneous American rock which suited me just fine. 

"So Dan, what was YOUR birthday wish" I asked him eventually, as we reached the London lights

"Oh y'know - race win, world peace, hot girl"

"Better luck next year then huh?"

"Well I guess one out of three will do" He winked across at me and the world suddenly went a little hazy. "This must be it" He pulled up to the front of an elegant hotel which could have housed my whole town on one floor. "You OK to wait outside for a min? I'll sort the car and the reservation, then I'll go up and  text you the room number, saves anyone asking questions"

"Sure"

The room turned out to be a modern, yet tasteful masterpiece - a large double bed at one end, and a whole lounge suite at the other complete with an enormous TV that wouldn't have even got through my bedroom door back home. I put my bags down on the sofa as Dan disappeared into the en-suite to get changed. Perching nervously on the arm of one of the chairs I couldn't bring myself to 'make myself at home' as he'd instructed. I was sharing a room with Daniel Ricciardo for God's sake, and it was still only a few weeks since we'd met although it felt like a lifetime ago. How on earth was I going to be able to sleep knowing that on the other side of the room was a man who was making me feel things that I never thought i'd feel again not so soon after Jamie anyway.

"Ready!"

He stepped out wearing the same white shirt that had taken my breath away at Monaco, I didn't take the time to notice anything else, just grabbed my clothes and ran past him into the bathroom, not trusting myself to meet his eyes. As I pulled the simple monochrome dress over my head I gave myself a long, hard look in the mirror.

Hair: passable - the clip would sort out the bits that wouldn't behave, although I could guarantee the whole lot would be a big frizzy mess by the end of the night.

Eyes: good - the makeup had done it's job, unfortunately the rest of the face wasn't going to get any better despite the layers of foundation and blusher that I swept across my cheeks and the lipstick that I had inexpertly applied.

Figure: not bad - curves in some of the right places, and a noticeable absence of them in some of the others but again this couldn't be helped.

Legs: nice! They were my only real asset and I was going to going to make the most of them at all costs.

I took a deep breath and stepped back into the room.

DAN

She walked out of the bathroom and imprinted herself forever on my mind. The top half was simple, fitted, and demure, but the the rest sent all sorts of impure feelings cascading through me. From the short black skirt that clung to her shapely legs, to the towering heels that lifted her just past my height - everything that on another woman might have screamed 'OBVIOUS!', on her just whispered seductively  'come closer'. The spell was was intensified by the fact that she clearly had no idea of the effect she was having, as she ran the toe of one shoe nervously up the back of her leg.

"Do I look OK?"

"Em..." my voice came out lower than I expected, and with an edge to it that I didn't recognise. I tried again. "Em!"

I captured her wrist as she turned to face me, watching her colour rise as she met the look of intense admiration and desire that I couldn't conceal, before lowering her eyes and turning her head away. I gently cupped her cheek with my free hand, forcing her to look at me as I closed the gap between us..

'KNOCK KNOCK'

"Mr Ricciardo your car is outside!"

"Uhhhh thanks" I released her and she stepped back, flustered and embarrassed that makes two of us 
I thought wryly. "You look beautiful" I whispered under my breath as I followed her out the door eyes up Dan. 

***

The exclusive club was already packed and buzzing as we entered. I recognised a few familiar faces dotted amongst the sponsors, VIPs, and so-called 'celebrities' that I guessed filled the TV screens over here. 

"Dance, drink, or mingle?" I asked her.

" I don't know - there's so many people, and this isn't really my scene"

"Drink then!" I decided for her, grabbing two fluorescent pink concoctions from a nearby waiter. "To success!" I announced, downing my drink and laughing at her disgusted expression. "Not nice?"

"Strong!" she spluttered "Vodka and coke is usually my limit"

"Forget the drink then - dance with me" ignoring her protests I took her hand and led her towards the dancefloor. 

"I can't...I don't know..."

"Trust me - everyone is too wrapped up in their own dancing and drinking to take any notice of us" I let go of her and gyrated wildly to prove my point. She laughed and began to dance, not confidently, but rythmically, swaying her hips and her shoulders fluidly to the music. 

"I do love this song" she admitted, smiling into my eyes. 

"I did ask you to dance WITH me" I reminded her gently, resting my hands hesitantly on her hips as she moved. 

"I guess it would be rude not to" she answered shyly, draping her arms around my neck in return. 

It wasn't a romantic song, or even a slow one, but for a minute we moved as if it was, and as if noboody was watching. I leaned my head against hers and closed my eyes...

"Mind if I cut in? a voice slurred. "Can't have you hogging the best ladies just because you're a driver can we Dan!"

We broke apart abruptly.

"Now is not the time" I growled out of the corner of my mouth, forgetting that men aren't good at taking hints, especially when we've had a few drinks. Matt was no exception. I glared at him as he took her arm and she grimaced apologetically at me.

'Just one and I'll get rid of him' she mouthed silently. 

I nodded, my hands clenched into fists at my sides as I watched them dance. He had his arms round her waist but she didn't seem to melt into him as she did with me. In fact she seemed to be trying to edge away as his hands roamed lower. I tensed, preparing to intervene in whatever way necessary to get him off her. 

"I'M GOING TO GET ANOTHER DRINK!" she shouted to me over the music, finally extricating herself from Matt's grasp much to my relief, and disappeared into the crowd. 

EMILY

A pneumatic blonde with skin the colour of toffee (and probably just as sticky) sashayed over to the bar as I waited. If any of it had looked remotely natural I'd have been jealous, instead I smiled politely as she greeted me.

"Hi, I'm Tara" she drawled "I'm responsible for the entertainment and hospitality, how do you like my party?"

"Yeah, great...nice one". I was puzzled, clearly she had some ulterior motive or she wouldn't have been hanging around me when there were VIPs to shmooze. 

"So I saw you come in with Daniel this evening" there it was! 

"Well I'm not exactly WITH Daniel, I'm with F1 Racing but it's my first weekend on the job and I'd met Dan in Monaco and we got talking and..."

"Well OBVIOUSLY I didn't think you were actually WITH him" she looked me up and down, no doubt taking in my high street outfit and less than modelesque looks. "Not that I'd blame you for trying - he's a great looker and an even better kisser"

 'Bitch!' screamed my brain "oh really?" said my mouth through gritted teeth. 

"Yeah we hooked up before the race in Canada, that was QUITE a night...."

With a sinking heart I realised exactly why Daniel had never replied to my text messages. The bigger question was why he was bothering with me now, with Tango-Tara so conveniently placed.

Or maybe I've got it wrong all along.

I zoned out as she continued to talk, my mind racing, thinking about all the little moments that I thought we'd shared, realising that every sign I thought I'd read must have been wishful thinking alone if this was the type of woman he was really interested in. 

Even tonight?

"...if I were you I'd try your luck with his blonde friend instead - he'll go for anything that moves"

"I suppose you'd know about that too would you?" I spat back with all the dignity I could muster."I guess your speciality must be the...after hours entertainment then". Not bothering to disguise the bitterness and contempt  in my voice I turned on my heel and left her seething at the bar. 

It wasn't until the cool night air hit me, that I realised I had no idea where I was intending to go. I was in the middle of London in the middle of the night. Home was an hours train ride South, followd by an eye-watering taxi fare. I had been planning on crashing in Daniel's hotel room but he had the key and there was no way that I was a) going back in there and asking him for it or b) making my way back to the hotel somehow and demanding the key to Mr Ricciardo's room. Not if I didn't want to get arrested anyway.

I sunk down against the wall and put my head in my hands, before raising it again as I felt something being  draped around my shoulders. 

"You know we've really got to stop meeting like this" 

"Oh shit"

"Well that's not very nice!" Jenson chuckled and offered me his hand, pulling me gently to my feet.

"God damnit Jenson one day you'll actually see me at my best" My voice faltered and he pulled me in to his shoulder, strong and comforting as I always imagined he would be. 

"What are you doing out here anyway?"

"That was just what I was trying to figure out" I mumbled against his shirt.

"Can I call you a taxi, where are you staying?"

"On Dan's sofa" I muttered quietly "But I can't go back in there and ask him for the key, and I've got nowhere else to go"

"Has something happened between you two?"

"Yes...no...there isn't and never has been an 'us two'"

He raised a perfect eyebrow but I didn't elaborate.

"Stay here, I'm gonna go get the key and call you a taxi"

"Thanks" I smiled at him feebly.

"And Jense?"

"Yeah?"

"If they ever decide to clone you I'm the first in line OK?"

"I'll put your name down" he said with a wink "back in a minute OK?" he gave my shoulder a final squeeze and headed back inside.

"Em?"

The voice wasn't Jenson's.

Note: I probably won't manage another update before Christmas so just in case - HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL! Here's an extra long chapter just for you. This one is dedicated to @__highflying who 'likes them long' (her words not mine) and who is responsible for the first story on here that got me hooked, AND who has exquisite taste in men and shirts. 

P.S I don't know if anyone here is old enough to remember him but I shamelessly stole the title for this chapter from Aussie singer Darren Hayes (sorry Darren) but it seemed appropriate.

P.P.S I have ignored the Silverstone concert in favour of a fictional after-party to make the story work, I hope you think it's worth it - I did ;) 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

244K 4.3K 54
27 year old Elza had her life under control. Good job and amazing friends. She loved her normal life. One summer holiday in Monaco with her best frie...
215K 4.3K 28
'Elvira and Daniel were a special couple together. They were the kind of people who unnoticeably, even for themselves, played the leading role in sit...
57.9K 1K 19
ADELINE O'CONNOR has been devastated since the last time she fell in love. Fans, gossips and even in interviews, all hover on the same topic. She's t...