Invisible Line in Between

By nininininaaa

[NEW CLASSIC SERIES #1] Meet the lead vocalist of New Classic, Isaiah Kalen Mallari. A #Wattys2020 Winner sto... More

Invisible Line in Between
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue
Invisible Line in Between (Self-Pub)
New Classic Lyrics Booklet

Chapter 3

100K 4.7K 1.8K
By nininininaaa

#NewClassicILIB

Chapter 3
Distance

For the past thirty minutes, I had been staring at myself in front of my full body mirror, just to make sure that I looked fine with the outfit I chose to wear for the special day.

The day I had been waiting for had finally arrived.

It was finally the day of New Classic's first ever fan signing, and meet and greet event. It was only 1PM, and the event would start at 4PM, but I was all ready to go. Kuya Zedrick would drive me to the small concert hall where their event would be held, so I didn't have to worry about my transportation. However, I still woke up early to finish my school works and prepare.

I saw some of the tweets with the hashtags that I came up with last night: #NewClassicKaleidoscopeFS and #MeetandGreetNewClassic that they were already at the venue. Some of the fans were giving out freebies to their fellow fans. Even those who weren't lucky enough to get a limited pass went to show support to the members of New Classic.

Honestly, I really wanted to be there earlier, but I still had to finish some of my school works. I didn't get to finish it last night. Our professors were having fun giving us a pile of school works as we entered finals. Sumaglit din ako sa mall para bumili ng regalo sa mga members at magpatatak ng aking shirt. Pinatatak ko ang art sa Kaleidoscope album sa aking black shirt.

I paired my customized shirt with a high-waisted denim shorts and slipped on a white low-cut Converse sneakers. We weren't allowed to bring too much on the concert hall, so I just put everything on a small backpack. We were required to bring the album, which has the winning code, along with our printed pass. And as inspired by the guitar pick I got from Isaiah years ago, I also bought customized metal pick with their names engraved on it.

I was pretty satisfied with the gift I came up with. Not to mention it didn't cost much. I only paid less than a thousand for these metal guitar picks.

Once I was finally satisfied with how I looked, I put on the strap of my backpack, then went out of my room to check my brother. I knocked thrice on his room's door, but he wasn't answering, so I already went inside. As soon as I got inside, I could hear his shower from his bathroom.

"Kuya, you're still taking a bath?!" I purposely raised my voice, so that he could hear me.

"Give me 5 minutes more!" He shouted back.

Napabuntonghininga na lamang ako at saka naupo sa paanan ng kanyang kama. Nilibot ko ang aking mga mata sa kabuuan ng kanyang kuwarto. On his study desk, I could see an opened blueprint. Just like my father, Kuya Zedrick also chose to be an Architect as his profession. He was inspired by my father, but he chose to work on a different firm because they weren't in terms.

On the other hand, I took Political Science because I wanted to become a reporter. My mother told me that I should get Mass Communication or Journalism instead, but I read an article that studying Politcal Science was also a huge advantage if you wanted to be a reporter, since we'd be doing a lot of research and writing.

"I'm done now."

Nilingon ko agad si Kuya Zedrick na kakalabas lamang ng banyo. He was only wearing his jeans, without any shirt. Sanay na akong makita siyang ganoon kaya baliwala na lang sa akin 'yon.

"What shirt should I wear?" he asked me as he opened his cabinet full of shirts with the same color.

Majority of his shirts were black and white. Iilan lamang ang naiibang kulay at madalas ay hindi niya pa sinusuot. I bought him a pastel pink shirt during his birthday last year, and I only saw him wore it once.

"May date kayo ni Ate Allison, 'di ba?" tanong ko dahil nabanggit niya sa akin kagabi na manonood sila ng sine habang hinihintay na matapos ang event ng New Classic. "You should wear something with―you know―color."

Kuya Zedrick raised an eyebrow at me, then pulled out a black plain shirt from his closet. I sighed and shook my head.

"Why bother asking me?" I sarcastically asked him.

After he wore the black shirt, he moved closer to me and gently pinched the bridge of my nose. "Sorry, princess," he told me with a smile on his lips. "I feel like wearing black today."

Sumimangot ako sa kanya. "Kailan mo ba hindi feel magsuot ng black?"

"Hmm..." He acted like he was thinking deeply, while tucking in one side of his shirt on his pants, before wearing a belt. "Whenever I feel like wearing white, I guess..."

Napa-facepalm na lang ako. Natawa siya sa reaksyon ko, halatang natutuwa kasi nabuwisit niya ako.

"Don't be sad. I'm just gonna treat you a nice medium rare steak later," he bribed me with food, then winked.

Tumayo ako mula sa pag-upo sa kanyang kama nang makitang mabilis niyang inaayos ang buhok niya gamit ang pomada. I stared at my brother's reflection on his closet, which has mirror doors. I couldn't deny how he's very good looking. Unfortunately, for other girls, he's already taken. But Ate Allison's very lucky for having him as his boyfriend. Though I had to admit that my brother's also lucky for having Ate Allison as his girlfriend. They complimented each other very well.

"Let's go. Allison's already on her way," pag-aya niya sa akin matapos basahin ang mensahe ni Ate Allison sa kanyang cellphone.

Hindi naman ako nagpatihuli at ako pa ang naunang lumabas ng kanyang kuwarto para makaalis na kami.

There was a slight traffic on the way to the venue, but I managed to arrive with an hour to spare before the start of the event. Sa labas ng concert hall ay mayroong malaking LED board kung saan pinapakita ang music video ng Always at mayroon ding speakers para madinig ang kanta.

I arrived at the part―in the music video―where each of them was holding the hand of the girl behind the camera. The concept of the music video would make you feel like you were spending it with them. It was shot through the point of view of a fan.

May mga iilang fans ang nasa labas ng venue para lamang magkita-kita habang sinasabayan ng kanta ang tumutugtog sa speakers. May nakita akong pumasok sa loob ng concert hall matapos ipakita ang pass at album, kaya naman agad akong tumungo roon at iniwanan na ang aking kapatid.

He just dropped me off, anyway. Nandoon na si Ate Allison sa pagkikitaan nila kaya nagmamadali na rin siya. He didn't want to keep her waiting any longer.

Kahit madami pang oras ay halos tumakbo na ako papasok sa concert hall. Medyo naging matagal ang security sa harapan. They were making sure that the album and pass were really mine. Tiningnan din nila ang laman ng aking backpack bago pinapasok ng tuluyan sa loob, pagkatapos ikabit ang wristband sa aking palapulsuhan at ibigay ang queueing number.

I was the fifteenth fan in line for the fansign, and meet and greet. Maluwag ang concert hall dahil fifty fans lamang ang puwedeng makapasok. My seat was on the center of second row.

I checked on Twitter for the updates, and I saw that New Classic had just finished performing at the weekly music show on national television to promote their new songs and first album. Medyo malapit lang sa venue ang TV station kaya sigurado akong papunta na sila agad dito.

It was actually slightly making me feel slightly guilty that they would have to attend this event, when they should just be resting after their performance. Paniguradong napagod din sila dahil ang alam ko'y nagsimula kaninang madaling araw ang rehearsal nila para sa live performance.

"Hala!"

Halos magulat ako nang biglang magsalita ang aking katabi. Napatingin ako sa kanya. She got an amused look on her face.

"Sorry, hindi ko sinasadya. Nakita ko kasi ang Twitter mo," nahihiya niyang sabi sa akin. "Ikaw pala ang handler ng New Classic PH?"

"Ah, oo, ako nga." I was feeling a bit embarrassed to admit that.

"I'm Dawn," she introduced herself and extended her hand to me. "Naka-follow ako sa fanbase account mo. Thank you sa mga updates, ah!"

Mas lalo akong nahiya, but at the same time, I felt a sense of pride. "Thank you."

"Sino pala ang bias mo sa kanilang apat?" kuryoso niyang tanong sa akin.

"Si Isaiah," I answered, without any hesitation.

"Oh! Ako si Ike ang bias ko!" Kinikilig niyang sabi. "Sobrang guwapo niya kapag tumutugtog ng gitara."

Agad kong nakapalagayan ng loob ni Dawn. She was chatty, and I could feel how much she also loves the band. We followed each other on our personal Twitter accounts. Naikuwento niya na rin sa akin na napanood niya na isang beses ang New Classic sa The Frozen Lounge no'ng hindi pa 'to kinukuha ng Top Star. She even showed me a picture of it on her phone.

The time passed by so quickly without us knowing. Everyone went silent for a second, when all the lights suddenly turned off. But it was immediately followed by a scream to express our enthusiasm.

Not a minute had passed, and a spotlight suddenly opened and directly illuminated the stage. There was a deafening scream, when we saw New Classic on the stage. My heart raced up to 100 kilometre per hour, I believed. It beat so fast as my eyes focused on Isaiah, just a few meters away from me. We were so close to the stage, and since I was at the center, it was like he was just standing right in front of me.

"Tangina, ang guwapo!" Nadinig ko ang nakakarinding sigaw ng nasa likuran, pero hindi ko na 'yong masyadong pinansin, lalo na nang nagsimula nang tumugtog ang banda.

Isaiah opened his eyes as he sang the first verse of Always.

Did you ever feel like
You're hanging on a cliff?
Did you ever feel like
This is gonna be it?
Did you ever feel like
You're breaking down?

Cause if you do,
I'll say...

I already memorized inside my head how he sang the studio version of Always that I immediately pointed out that he was adding a different style as he sang the first verse. He added some riffs, which made his voice even more soulful.

He improved so much since that night. His voice also got deeper, but it was more pleasing to the ears. If I'd picture his voice, it would be a really nice painting of a beautiful seascape. The relaxing and peaceful feeling I felt as I stared at the endless horizon of the sea, when we went to a beach in Cebu before―that's exactly how I feel, while listening to him singing. The riffs he added as he sang made the song richer. It flowed like water, going along the current of waves. It was so smooth.

I slid my hand on my right pocket to hold the guitar pick he gave me before. Closing my eyes, I traded a few seconds of not seeing him just to feel the song more. I gripped on the pick tightly as I listened to him sing.

Put your faith in me
With our hands intertwined
We will walk together
Until the end of time...

When he hit the high note during the bridge, I finally opened my eyes again. But this time, it was his eyes that were closed. The veins on his neck were protruding as he held the note, while the other members sang the chorus of Always in perfect harmony.

Just take my hand
You won't fall
I'll be with you
Through it all

Just trust in me
And you'll see
Baby, I'll make you believe

With his eyes still closed, he did some adlibs, throughout the last chorus. Ike also went crazy with his guitar.

Cause when everything else fades
I promise I'll stay
With you, with you
Always...

The lights slowly dimmed, but before it faded out completely, I saw the corner of Isaiah's lips slowly curled upwards―breaking into a gentle smile.

Everyone clapped their hands and shouted the band name, while I released the guitar pick from my grip as I breathed in deeply, trying to calm my feelings and emotions. The smile on his face, before he vanished into darkness, lingered on my mind.

After a few minutes, we all had calmed down and took our seats again. But then, just when everything was under control, the lights opened up once again―and we saw all the members standing in a straight line on the center stage. We screamed and some tried to get closer, but the security immediately acted out.

"Hey, guys! Tumigil nga kayo!" I heard Dawn shouting, in the midst of commotion.

Mabilis namang naayos ang biglang gulo, lalo na nang magsalita si Ike.

"I know you all are excited to see us. We are excited, too, but please..." He looked at everyone. "We don't want anyone of you to get hurt. Please remain seated on your seats."

Ike really had that leader aura. Everyone followed him. Nagsibalikan ang lahat sa kanilang tamang upuan. Nadinig ko ang bulong ng paghanga ni Dawn kay Ike. Napangiti lamang ako, ngunit nang makita ko ang medyo nababahalang si Isaiah, habang tinitingnan ang mga fans ay nawala ang ngiti ko. I guessed he didn't like what happened.

"Before we begin the signing, and meet and greet, let us introduce ourselves first," si Ike muli ang nagsalita. "Got music?"

"New Classic!" They did their iconic greeting with the handsign. "Hello! We are the New Classic!"

As we were all reprimanded to be proper, we all just clapped our hands and cheered for them from our seats. Tiningnan ko ulit si Isaiah at nakita kong napangiti na siya nang makitang maayos na kaming lahat. Sina Jirro at Sic naman ay malaki ang ngiti habang tinitingnan din kami.

Nag-usap sila nang hindi nakatapat ang mic sa kanilang mga bibig. We couldn't hear what they were talking about, but then Sic started with his greeting. Siguro ay nagturuan sila kung sino ang unang magpapakilala.

"Hello! I'm Sic, the drummer of New Classic!" he introduced himself, and we all clapped.

Someone shouted Sic's name so loud, and he just gave a finger heart to that fan. Everyone sighed in admiration because of his cuteness.

"Kidding aside, thank you so much for being here with us today," he said, after he chuckled. "At dahil nandito kayo, syempre ay bumili kayo ng Kaleidoscope, kaya maraming salamat din sa pagbili ng aming album. I can't wait to sign your albums and meet you all one by one."

Matapos niyang magsalita ay si Jirro naman ang nagtapat ng mic sa kanyang bibig. "Hi, I'm Jirro, bassist of New Classic," he said. "I'll just keep it short. Thank you for buying our albums and for coming here. Let's all have a good time today!"

They clapped their hands, but I kept silent because it was finally Isaiah's turn to speak. He naturally put the mic over his mouth like he was about to sing.

"Isaiah, lead vocalist of New Classic," he said, his speaking voice as breathtaking as his speaking voice.

"I love you, Isaiah!" Someone among us shouted shamelessly.

Isaiah looked taken aback a bit, but then he chuckled.

My cheeks heated up. I couldn't be as shameless as that girl, who openly shouted that she loves Isaiah. Just by imagining that I was the one doing that, I was already feeling so embarrassed.

"Anyway, I've been wanting to perform in front of our fans. It's a pity that there are only a few of you here today, but let's make the most of it," he ended his speech with only a few meaningful words.

"Si Ike na!" Na-eexcite na bulong ni Dawn sa tabi ko.

"Hi, I'm Ike, the leader and lead guitarist of New Classic," he also introduced himself. "This is our first ever fan signing or meet and greet. This is also the first time we're going to sign on our own album, so I'm sure it's going to be a memorable one. We also would like to perform more of our songs in front you all, but we still have schedule after this. However, in the future, I hope we can meet in a larger venue and we can perform more songs for all of you."

"Right, right..." Sic nodded his head, still wearing a smile.

"Kaya huwag na nating patagalin pa," muling nagsalita si Ike. "Let's start the signing."

Pumuwesto silang apat sa isang mahaba na table na nasa stage. Ang mga securities ay pumuwesto na sa kanilang paligid. May mga marshalls din na nagsimula na sa pag-aayos ng pila.

As per the rules, we would go up the stage by five. We will let the members sign the album, one by one. After that, each one would be given a chance to have one solo picture with all the members, captured by their official event photographer. It would be uploaded on their page, so we didn't have to worry about having our own copy of the photo.

While waiting for my turn, I couldn't keep still. I was getting anxious, especially when it was already our turn to go up the stage. Hawak-hawak ko ang guitar pick nang mahigpit. Iniisip ko kung ano ang magiging reaksyon niya kapag nakita ako. Iniisip ko kung ano ang unang mga salitang lalabas sa kanyang mga labi.

If he could still remember that night during their interview for Smile, for sure he could still remember me as well. I was part of that moment. I was the reason why he wrote the song.

I kept on comforting myself with those thoughts, until I was finally the one next in line.

"Good luck, Zendaya!" I heard Dawn excitedly whispered behind me as an encouragement.

I turned to her quick and smiled, appreciating the friendship I found in her.

"Miss, ikaw na ang susunod," biglang tawag sa akin ng marshall na nag-aassist sa amin.

"Ah, s-sige po," nauutal kong sabi.

Hawak-hawak ko ang kanilang album nang mahigpit at ang guitar pick na bigay sa akin ni Isaiah habang papalapit ako sa kanila. Una akong lumapit kay Ike dahil siya ang nasa unahan. I saw Isaiah talking to Sic and Jirro, while I approached Ike to sign my album.

"Hi!" Ike greeted me with so much enthusiasm.

"Hello..." I smiled sheepishly and put the album down.

"Your name?"

"Uh, Zendaya."

"Zendaya..." he uttered my name as he wrote it down on the album. "You have a pretty name," he told me, then signed the album before giving it back to me.

"I have a gift, by the way," I said and pulled the metal guitar pick I had for him.

"Wow!" He smiled as he checked out the pick. "This is pretty. I can use this. Thank you!"

"You're welcome," sabi ko na lang.

Kinailangan ko na kaagad lumipat kay Isaiah dahil mayroong nakalaan na oras lamang bawat miyembro. Pinausod na ako kaagad ng marshall na nasa gitna nina Ike at Isaiah.

As soon as I stood in front of him, Isaiah turned his head to me. I was trying to read his expression and reaction if he could familiarize himself with me, but he only wore the same smile he showed the fans, who got their albums signed before me.

"Hello," he greeted me casually, reached out his hand to take the album from my hands, and said, "I'll sign it for you."

Pakiramdam ko ay nahulog ang aking puso kung saan. Nanginig ang aking kamay. Mabilis kong tinago ang guitar pick na binigay niya sa akin noon sa aking bulsa habang inaabot ang album sa kanya.

He can't remember me?

Is it possible that he can remember that moment, but he can't remember me?

"What's your name?" he asked me, still wearing a smile.

"Z-Zendaya," I stuttered, saying my name.

Gulong-gulo ako. Iniisip ko kung bakit hindi niya ako nakikilala. Nang dahil ba medyo madilim noon sa playground at hindi niya nakita nang maayos ang hitsura ko? O baka dahil medyo marami na rin ang nagbago sa akin lalo na't apat na taon na rin ang nakalipas?

I knew I should show him the guitar pick, so that he could finally remember me, but I felt like it would make me look somehow desperate to be remembered by him. I had this uneasy or awkward feeling thinking that he forgot me, while I could still clearly remember him―even when he looked mature now.

"Here you go, Zendaya!" He gave me back my album.

Nanghihina kong kinuha ang metal pick na pinagawa ko para kay Isaiah, kagaya ng sa ibang members. Ang naiiba lang ay ang kulay. For the other members, I got the silver one. For him, I got a gold color pick, so that it'd be somehow similar with the yellow pick he gave me. Instead of just putting his name, I also had it engraved with a smiley face.

"For you..." I managed to croak out, even when my throat was getting parched.

"What's this?" he asked, then got the pick from me, while I received the album in return.

Medyo napaawang ang kanyang labi nang lumapat ang mata niya sa pick. Kinagat ko ang aking labi habang pinapanood siya.

"You put a smiley face on it..." he pointed out, his eyes still glued on the pick.

I managed to force myself to smile. "I really like the song you wrote..." I told him and reasoned out. "I love Smile so much, so I decided to put a smiley face as it made me smile always. I hope you like it, though."

Bago pa siya makasagot ulit ay pinalipat na ako agad kay Jirro. I refused to look again at Isaiah, while my heart was still struggling with the explosion of emotions it had to pump through.

At that moment, it felt like the only connection I had with him had been cut off. He couldn't recognize me. He remembered the memory, but he didn't remember me. The distance, which separated us―as an artist and a fan―got greater.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121K 4K 31
Accounting Series #4 (COMPLETED) Being the breadwinner of the family isn't easy. Sa murang edad ay pasan-pasan ko na ang mabigat na responsibilidad...
475K 16.7K 31
With his notorious playboy reputation, Bluie knew Miguel Chavez was made to break hearts. She just didn't know hers would be one of them. *** Bluie H...
2M 24.9K 48
Soon to be Published Solana's mother works as a maid for Yleo's family, but in an unexpected event her mother passes away. Before it disappeared fro...
423K 1.3K 5
Scarlett Dela Rama's love story is full of twists and turns. Her romantic life is not ordinary. Two men are vying for her heart... but only one of th...