I'll never love again [1]

By BouquetOfTacos

Elena and Natalia Gilbert, fraternal twins. After their parents' deaths, nothing was ever the same. Months ha... More

INTRODUCTION
THE RETURN
BRAVE NEW WORLD
BAD MOON RISING
MEMORY LANE
KILL OR BE KILLED
PLAN B
MASQUERADE
ROSE
KATERINA
THE SACRIFICE
BY THE LIGHT OF THE MOON
THE DESCENT
DADDY ISSUES
CRYING WOLF
THE DINNER PARTY
THE HOUSE GUEST
KNOW THY ENEMY
THE LAST DANCE
KLAUS
THE LAST DAY
THE SUN ALSO RISES
AS I LAY DYING
THE BIRTHDAY
THE HYBRID
THE END OF THE AFFAIR
DISTURBING BEHAVIOR
THE RECKONING
SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT
GHOST WORLD
HOMECOMING
THE NEW DEAL
OUR TOWN
THE TIES THAT BIND
BRINGING OUT THE DEAD
DANGEROUS LIAISONS
ALL MY CHILDREN
1912
BREAK ON THROUGH
THE MURDER OF ONE
HEART OF DARKNESS
DO NOT GO GENTLE
BEFORE SUNSET
THE DEPARTED
GROWING PAINS
MEMORIAL
THE RAGER
THE FIVE
THE KILLER
WE ALL GO A LITTLE MAD SOMETIMES
MY BROTHER'S KEEPER
WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE BOURBON STREET
O COME, ALL YE FAITHFUL
AFTER SCHOOL SPECIAL
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
A VIEW TO KILL
INTO THE WILD/DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE
STAND BY ME
BRING IT ON
BECAUSE THE NIGHT
AMERICAN GOTHIC
PICTURES OF YOU
THE ORIGINALS
SHE'S COME UNDONE
THE WALKING DEAD
GRADUATION
SEQUEL

ORDINARY PEOPLE

5.6K 139 14
By BouquetOfTacos

"So the Lockwoods really have no idea that these tunnels are underneath their property?" Elena asked Alaric as they walked through the tunnel in the old cellar. Nat and Ric were gonna show Elena what they had found a few days ago and take some pictures to try to decipher the drawings and what they had to do with the Originals.

"Careful where you shine that thing. Bats hate the light." Ric warned her as they walked further.

"Wait, what?" She stopped and looked at him confused.

"Elena!" Someone whispered and she turned around. "Boo!" Damon yelled and Elena jumped back.

"Ah!" She gasped and Nat laughed at his antics. "God, Damon." Elena muttered and he smirked.

"Scaredy-cat." He said and they started walking again.

"Just ignore him. That's what we do." Nat told her, pointing to herself and Ric.

"So, you really can't get in?" Elena asked the vampire curiously.

"No. Seems even the ancient Lockwoods were anti-vampire."

"What do you mean ancient?"

"See for yourself." They walked a bit further and arrived at the cave, entering quickly. "Well, this is as far as I get to go." Elena enters the cave and shines the flashlight on the walls with the drawings, surprise taking over her features.

"What is all this?" She asks looking now at Ric.

"Well, as far as I can tell, it's a story. In simple, archaeological terms, it's a really, really old story." Nat nodded at that and Ric pointed his flashlight at the wall. "That right there, is the moon cycle. A man, a wolf." He said as he pointed at the different drawings.

"A werewolf." Elena realized.

"Yeah, it's the Lockwood Diaries: Pictionary-Style." Damon quipped from outside.

"I don't understand. I thought the Lockwoods came here with the Original Founders in the 1860s." Elena said, a frown on her face.

"I don't know. Maybe the Lockwoods did, but according to this wall, there werewolves have been here a lot longer than that." Ric shrugged and Elena presses on.

"How long?" She asks.

"Long." Damon confirms. "It gets better. Show her, Nat." He says and Elena turns to her. She shines the flashlight on the other wall and turns to Elena.

"Names. They're not native. They're written in Runic, a Viking script." She explains and Elena furrows her brows.

"Vikings?"

"This name here, it reads Niklaus." Nat tells her and Elena's eyes widen.

"Klaus." She realized and Nat nodded before pointing to the next name.

"Elijah." She then points to the other name. "And Rebekah."

"These are the names of the Original Family?" Elena asks shocked and Nat nods.

"Carved into a cave that's been here since way before the founding of Mystic Falls. Or even the entire New World, for that matter." Ric says, still processing the fact that the Originals seemed to have lived in Mystic Falls.

"Okay, this has gotta be one of Klaus' fakes." Elena shook her head, hesitant to believe this.

"That's what I said." Damon said out loud.

"That could be true, except the last name up here made us think otherwise." Ric told her sister and pointed at the man's name.

"What's the name?" She asked puzzled and Ric turned to Nat.

"Mikael." Nat told her.

"Mikael.... Mikael, as in, the vampire hunter who knows how to kill Klaus?" Elena asked both of them.

"Yep. I now like to call him Papa Original." Damon joked and Nat sighed.

"Wow." Elena exhaled and then turned to Nat. "Do you remember him?"

"Only that we didn't like each other." She shrugged and turned to Ric, who was taking photos of the drawings and names. "If I'm being honest, I don't think I had a good relationship with either of Klaus' parents."

Nat was sitting on the desk at Ric's apartment while he was looking through the pictures, trying to piece everything together. In the living room, Damon was helping Elena train, giving her some pointers and correcting her on some things.

"These images tell a story... to learn that story you have to decipher these images." Ric tells them. Nat looks at the pictures and nods absentmindedly before grabbing a stake and twirling it on her hand. She looks up at her sister and sees her trying to stake Damon, but he effortlessly disarms her.

"Sloppy." He tells her and she grabs the stake.

"Shut up! I'm new at this." She mutters and starts fighting him again.

"'Ghost of Christmas Past' Mason Lockwood set up the cave and led us to a weapon that can kill Klaus." Damon told Ric and Nat as Elena tried to kick him.

"Yeah, but doesn't Mikael have a weapon?" Elena reminds him and he nods.

"Yes. Which probably means the wall will lead us to Mikael, who we have already found... and lost." He tells her before disarming her and turning her around, her back now to his chest. "Bang! You're dead!" He then goes on to nibble on Elena's neck and she pushes him away playfully. Nat smiles amusedly at Damon and he winks at her. Elena walks over to the desk and stands next to Ric, looking at the pictures.

"These images at the very least might tells us what that weapon is." Ric tells Elena and she nods.

"Then all we have to do is find out what they mean." She says.

"Fine! Fine! If I am being irritatingly optimistic like you two... how do you suppose we do that? Last I checked, Nat hasn't remembered every pesky detail of her past life." Damon asks as he walks towards them. Both Elena and Ric exchange glances, Nat rolling her eyes and smirking at Damon.

"Well, if the story is about the Original Family living here, then you have to go straight to the source." She tells them and they stare at her. "Rebekah, obviously." Elena sighs and nods at her.

"You're right. Let's go." She says and Nat shakes her head.

"Nope, you're doing the dirty work all on your own, dear sister." Nat tells her.

"What? Rebekah loves you!" Elena exclaims and Nat shrugs.

"Exactly why I'm not going to ask her anything. She had a temper when she was human, I don't wanna imagine how it is now that she's a vampire." She explained. "Besides, you're the one who wants to wake Mikael. I don't. So, you go and ask her nicely and if she says yes, then I'll be there." Elena stares at her in disbelief and Nat just shrugs.

"Ugh, fine." Elena grumbles. "I'll keep you updated." She says and starts walking to the door with her things.

"Love you!" Nat yells as Elena opens the door and steps out of the apartment. She turns to Damon and sees him staring at her already. She looks at him questioningly and he shakes his head.

"I'll check up on Stefan." He says before leaving the apartment too.

"Just you and me now, Ric." Nat says and he smiles at her before looking back at the pictures. She hops off the desk and starts walking to the bedroom. "I'm gonna go take a nap, okay?"

"Aren't you gonna help me figure this out?" He asks and she shakes her head.

"I'm really sleepy, so I'll sleep for a while and then I'll help you." He nods reluctantly and turns back to the desk. Nat gets to the bedroom and lays down on the bed, finding a comfortable position to sleep in. It doesn't take long for her eyes to close and the dream to start.

She was sitting in front of the witch, eyes closed and holding her hands. She was trying to light a bigger fire than last time, but she couldn't concentrate, thoughts of Elijah popping up in her mind instead.

"You're not focusing on the fire." Esther said in a scolding tone. Iliana took a deep breath and opened her eyes, seeing the angry expression on the woman's face immediately.

"I am trying." Iliana said and the woman shook her head, letting go of her hands.

"We are done for the day, Iliana." She told her as she got up and picked up her herbs and grimoire. "We will continue tomorrow when you are better focused on the task at hand." She wanted to retort, but bit her tongue. It was no secret that they didn't like each other that much, but if Iliana wanted to learn the art of witchcraft, she had to swallow her pride and be civil towards her.

"Very well. I will come tomorrow early in the morning." The young girl said and turned to leave. She stepped out of the house and started walking to hers. But before she could get far, she was stopped by a voice.

"So I don't even get a hello?" She turned around and saw Nik leaning on a tree. She smiled at him and walked closer to him.

"Hello, Nik." He smiled back and stood up right, crossing her arms and staring at her.

"How was the lesson?" She opened her mouth to answer, but felt a pair of arms embrace her from the back.

"She couldn't stop thinking about me." Elijah said and she laughed at his words before turning back and pecking his lips. When she turned back, Nik had turned his head away, probably feeling awkward at the sight of them being intimate in front of him.

"If you must know, I am getting better. I just need to practice a bit more." She tells the blonde and he looks at her, a smile on his face before walking closer to Elijah and her.

"And how is your relationship with our mother?" He asks her more quietly now, clearly not wanting the older woman to listen.

"Not good. But I have to behave nicely if I want to learn. She is very powerful, as is Ayana." Iliana tells him and he nods, his lips curving a bit. "What were you doing here anyways, Niklaus? Spying on me?" She asks playfully and he shakes his head nervously.

"She's only teasing brother, she likes to see you flustered." Elijah reassures him and Iliana laughs at that. Nik looks between his brother and her and nods.

"Yes, Nik. I just love watching you stutter and get all nervous around me." She teased and he looked down, a humorous smile on his face. "What are you doing here, anyways?" She turns to Elijah questioningly. "Shouldn't you be working with the men of the village?" He presses his lips together and nods before turning to his brother.

"Father is calling for us." Iliana stiffened at the mention of Mikael and turned to Nik, knowing how afraid he was of his own father. The blonde stared at his brother for a second before looking down. He turned around and left them, going to Mikael. Iliana turned back to Elijah and saw him staring at the spot Nik had just been standing in. "I better go. I can't leave him alone with father."

"Of course." She nodded and smiled at him gently, understanding the situation perfectly. "I have to get back home before my father notices I'm not there." He nodded and kissed her cheek before leaving her too. She watched him go and turned back to go home, but was stopped again. This time though, Finn was standing in front of her. "Finn." She greeted him politely but he just looked at her. Although she got along with all of the siblings, Finn was the only one that she didn't really like. He was too... serious and uptight. Besides, he seemed to hate her. She didn't see the point in trying to befriend him. Seeing as he didn't respond, Iliana stepped aside and started walking to her home.

"Do you enjoy it?" He said out loud and she turned back, looking at him puzzled. "Toying with my brothers' emotions?"

"What?" She asked confused at his words. "I don't-"

"You're getting in between them." He cut her off, a serious expression on his face. She looked at him baffled and shook her head.

"You're delusional, Finn." She told him. "Stay out of my life. It doesn't concern you." Iliana told him, now angry at his accusations.

"It is my concern when my brothers are involved." He said defiantly. She pursed her lips and shook her head. "One day, mother will have enough of it and you will pay the consequences, Iliana." He warned her and she chuckled humorlessly.

"Go back to running behind your mother, Finn. And leave me and Elijah alone." She said before turning back again.

"Don't say I didn't warn you, girl. " He said in disdain. She just ignored him and walked away, not noticing Elijah standing nearby, listening to the whole thing. Little did she know, that would be the beginning of the end for them.

Nat woke up slowly, turning on the bed to lay on her back. She looked up at the apartment ceiling and thought about her most recent memory. There goes another brother, she thought. So far she had remembered Klaus, Elijah, Rebekah, Kol, Henrik and now Finn. Although, judging by her dream, her and Finn didn't seem to get along that well. Before she could dwell anymore on that, the door opened and Elena walked in, talking on the phone.

"I've got this, Damon." She said as she closed the door. Nat sat up in the bed and rubbed her eyes before getting up and walking towards Ric and Elena. "If we can figure out a way to kill Klaus, Stefan will be free of his compulsion. So... how does he look?" She asks quietly and Ric turns to her. "He'll have to get over it. Call me later." She hangs up and then turns to Nat. "Rebekah will come around."

"You're sure about that?" Ric asks and both girls turn to him. "I mean a thousand-year-old vampire, I'm sure, has learned the art of patience." He remarks as Elena's phone rings. She reads it and looks up at him.

"She's a thousand-year-old vampire who's joined the cheerleader squad... There is a whole different set of rules that play here, Ric." She showed both him and Nat the message that read 'Come over for a chat. Rebekah.'.

"We got this." Nat reassured him and he nodded reluctantly.

"Fine. But be careful." He warned them and Nat smiled at him.

"Don't worry, she's not gonna hurt us."

"Let's hope for the best." He said and turned back to the pictures. "You should get going, I'm gonna keep working on this." Elena grabbed her phone as she walked to the door and stepped out of the apartment, Nat right behind her. They got to the car and quickly got in, Elena driving away from Ric's apartment.

"So what exactly do you remember about the Original family?" Elena asked curiously after a few minutes.

"Well, I now remember all the siblings." Nat told her. "One of them was a dick. I think I hated him." Elena turned to her and she shrugged. "But other than that, I just remember little details about them when they were human."

"Why don't you want Klaus dead?" Elena asked next and Nat sighed.

"I don't know. I just want us to neutralize him, stop him, but not... kill him. Especially not with Mikael." She told her. "Just thinking about him gives me chills. And not in a good way." They arrived at the Boarding House exactly at that moment and got out of the car. Nat opens the door and hears music blasting inside, Rebekah walking out of the living room with a glass of champagne.

"Hey! What's up?" She greets them cheerfully.

"You invited me over? To talk?" Elena reminds her and the blonde smiles before turning around.

"All right girls, have at it!" Suddenly six girls in various dresses walk in the room. "Okay, now twirl please." They twirl and show Elena and Nat the dresses.

"You compelled your own private runway show?" Elena asks flatly.

"I need a Homecoming dress." Rebekah explains. "So, what do you think? Pick one." She tells them and Nat looks at the girls for a second before choosing her favorite.

"I like the red one." She tells her friend and she smiles before turning to her sister.

"I'm not here to help you shop. I'm here to talk about why you don't want me to wake up Mikael." Elena tells her and Nat runs a hand over her face. Rebekah then rushes to one of the girls and grabs her neck, ready to bite her.

"I said 'pick one', Elena." She threatened and Elena swallowed nervously before looking at the different dresses.

"The red one." She said quickly and Rebekah let the girl go.

"There. It wasn't so hard, was it?" She tells Elena before turning to the girls. "Go away. Remember nothing." The girls leave the room and Rebekah picks up her champagne glass as she walks towards Nat and Elena. "You do not threaten me. You'll learn what I allow you to learn. Is that clear?" She warns her sister and Elena nods, Rebekah walking past her. "Come on then."

"Where are we going?" Nat asked Rebekah as they walked upstairs.

"To snoop around." She says and heads to Stefan's room, opening the door and stepping inside. Nat enters too, but Elena stays at the doorway. "How fun is this?" The blonde says as she starts opening drawers. Nat looks around the room impressed. She hadn't been much in here, and the few times she had, she didn't stay long.

"We shouldn't be here..." Elena says from the door and Nat rolls her eyes at her sister's words.

"'Course we should!" Rebekah exclaims. "Come on, like you've never wanted to snoop." She says holding up Stefan's underwear. "A lot has changed since the twenties." She mutters and Nat bursts out laughing.

"Are you gonna root through his stuff all night or are you gonna start to tell me your story?" Elena grumbled.

"Ah... you really are no fun. What do you want to know?" The vampire asked flatly.

"Well, Elijah said that your father was a landowner in Europe. How did you guys end up here?" Elena asked curiously as she entered the room too.

"Careful, Elijah might have lied about that too." Nat said bitterly. Elena looked at her confused while Rebekah chuckled as she went through more of Stefan's stuff.

"He was telling the truth. My parents had just started a family, when a plague struck their homeland. They lost a child to it. They wanted to escape and protect their future family from the same fate." She explained and Elena frowned at her words.

"So, how did you end up here? This part of the world hadn't even been discovered yet."

"Not by anyone in your history books. But my mother knew the witch Ayana, who heard from the spirits of a mystical land where everyone was healthy... blessed by the gifts of speed and strength. That led my family here, where we lived amongst those people." Rebekah said and Elena furrowed her brows.

"The werewolves." Nat cleared up and Elena nodded.

"To us, they were just our neighbors. My family lived in peace with them for over 20 years, during which time my family had more children, including me."

"You make it sound so normal."

"It was." Nat told her sister.

"Once a month, our family, along with a few others, retreated into the caves beneath our village. The wolves would howl through the night and by morning we'd return home." Rebekah told them as she looked out the window. "One full moon, Klaus and my youngest brother Henrik snuck out to watch the men turn into beasts. That was forbidden. Henrik paid the price..." She trailed off and Nat opened her mouth in shock.

"Oh my God..." She said and looked at Elena, noticing a similar expression on her face.

"That was the beginning of the end of peace with our neighbors. And one of the last moments my family had together as humans." She said, her voice sounding oddly sad. Suddenly, Elena's phone started ringing, snapping them out of the little moment. "You better get that. That'll be Damon checking up on you." She said and Elena looked at her before answering her phone.

"Hello?" Rebekah walks over to one of the shelves in the room and grabs one of Stefan's journal "Damon, where are you?" Elena keeps talking on the phone as Rebekah sits next to Nat on the bed and opens the diary, showing it to Nat who just smiles amusedly at it and shakes her head. "Yes, I'm fine, but I can't talk right now. Is that Stefan?" She asks in disbelief and Nat snaps her head to her sister. Leave it to Damon to completely ruin things, she thought. "Damon! How could you let him out?" Elena exclaims angrily through the phone. Rebekah and Nat stare at each other and quietly laugh before going back to reading Stefan's journal to ignore Elena's conversation with Damon. After a few minutes, they hear Elena's voice directed at them. "Did you get your fill of snooping yet? Can we get on with the story?" She asks annoyed and Rebekah gets up, picking up a photo of Elena and Stefan from the table.

"Honestly, I don't get you two as a couple." The blonde tells Elena.

"Why would you? You don't know anything about who he really is." She scoffs. Nat gets up from the bed and leans on the wall, watching their exchange quietly.

"I know exactly who he is. He's a vampire. We're a predatory species." She leans closer to Elena's face and looks her straight in the eye. "We don't have time to care about humans and their silly little lives."

"Is that why you did that runway show earlier? 'Cause you don't care about the Homecoming Dance..." Elena trails off and Rebekah stiffens immediately. Fair enough. Rebekah was lying if she said she didn't care at all about these things. "You know what, I'm just gonna go." Elena said, standing up. Nat furrowed her brows and looked at her sister confused.

"You haven't even heard half the story." The blonde reminded her.

"And you are not going to tell it. You're just bored and looking for someone to push around. Find someone else to play with... maybe you can compel yourself a friend."

"I am her friend." Nat said crossing her arms, upset about Elena's words. But she didn't care, she turned around and started to leave.

"The necklace wasn't Stefan's to give." Elena stops on her tracks at Rebekah's voice and looks at Nat. "It belonged to the Original Witch." She finished and Elena turned around.

"The one who put the hybrid curse on Klaus?" Elena asked and Rebekah nodded before turning to Nat.

"And the one who put the curse on Iliana." At that, Nat stood up right and opened her mouth in shock. "But she didn't just do that. She's the one who turned us into vampires." Both girls looked at the vampire surprised. That was new information for both of them. "My parents implored the witch Ayana to help them protect us, but she said it was a crime against nature." She explained before looking around. "I'm thirsty. Do you want a drink?" She walked out of the room and Elena and Nat followed her.

"So, vampirism was a form of protection?" Nat asked as they went down the stairs.

"What else would it be?" Rebekah told her.

"A curse?" Elena offered and the blonde shook her head.

"My parents only saw a way of keeping their children alive."

"Yeah, but why stay if they were so afraid of the werewolves? Why not... leave?" Elena said hesitantly.

"Pride..." Rebekah said out loud. "My father didn't want to run anymore. He wanted to fight and be superior to the wolves. Where they could bite, we had to bite harder. Where they had speed, we had to be faster. Agility, strength, senses..." She explained and Nat nodded, but a frown took over her face at her words. "But Ayana refused to help my parents. Which is why that responsibility now fell in my mother's hands."

"In her hands? How could she do anything?" Elena asked genuinely confused.

"Because my mother was also a witch." She shrugged and Elena stopped walking.

"What?" Nat asked, stopping in her tracks and looking at Rebekah.

"The witch of the Original Family, The Original Witch?" The blonde told them as if it was obvious.

"You're telling me that your mother killed me?" Nat asked, anger seeping through her veins. Rebekah nodded apologetically and stepped inside the library. Elena placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and entered the room too, Nat following reluctantly.

"Where do they keep their best vintage?" Rebekah asked out loud as she searched through the shelves.

"But if your mother was a witch, then..." Elena trailed off and the blonde shook her head.

"Am I? No, a witch is nature's servant, a vampire is an abomination of nature." She said and Nat suddenly remembered one of her dreams.

"But Kol was." She remarked and Rebekah turned to her, a smile curving on her lips.

"It was one of his greatest pains when we turned into vampires. Losing his magic." She shrugged before turning to Elena. "You can either be one or the other, never both. My mother did this for us. She did not turn." She explained.

"How did you turn?" Elena questioned.

"She called upon the sun for life, and the ancient white oak tree, one of nature's eternal objects, for immortality. That night, my father offered us wine laced with blood. And then he drove his sword through our hearts." Nat's eyes widened at her words. Every passing second, she only convinced herself that waking Mikael would be a great mistake.

"He killed you?" Elena asked the vampire, stunned at that piece of information.

"And he wasn't delicate about it either." She said before breaking the neck off a bottle of wine and throwing it into the fireplace. "We had to drink more blood to complete the ritual. It was euphoric!" She exclaimed. "The feeling of power was indescribable...but the witch Ayana was right about the consequences. The spirits turned on us, and nature fought back...For every strength there would be a weakness. The sun became our enemy. It kept us indoors for weeks. And though my mother found a solution, there were other problems. Neighbors who had opened their homes to us could now keep us out." She looked at Nat for a second and then looked away. "Flowers at the base of the white oak burned, and prevented compulsion. And the spell decreed that the tree that gave us life could also take it away...so we burned it to the ground." A sad feeling made its way into Nat's heart at those last words. That tree... "But the darkest consequence was something my parents never anticipated." Elena and Nat looked at her questioningly and she exhaled. "The hunger. Blood had made us reborn and it was blood that we craved above all else. We could not control it... And with that, the predatory species was born..."

"Why did Mikael start hunting Klaus?" Nat asked her.

"When Nik made his first human kill, it triggered his werewolf gene. With that, he became my father's greatest shame." She told her. Nat looked away, feeling pity for the hybrid at being turned away his entire life by his supposed father.

"Yeah, Elijah told us this part of the story. Your mother had had an affair with one of the werewolf villagers. Klaus wasn't his son." Elena remembered and Nat looked at Rebekah intently.

"She tried to make it right. She put the hybrid curse on Nik to suppress his werewolf side, and then she turned her back on him. But not before Iliana tried to stop it." She said and looked at Nat. "It was the last straw. She killed you and then cursed you." Nat nodded at that. She had a dream about it, about her trying to stop the curse from happening, but to no avail of course. "But Mikael's greatest weakness as a human was his pride. As a vampire, that was magnified. He went on a rampage and killed half the village. Then he came home and killed her." She stated. Nat and Elena turned to her wide eyed at that revelation.

"Mikael killed your mother?" Elena asked her in disbelief.

"He said she broke his heart so he would break hers. He tore it from her chest as Nik watched." Her voice sounded far away, lost in the memories of so long ago. Nat didn't say anything out loud, but she was glad Esther was killed in a violent manner. Serves her right. "Afterwards, my father took off in a rage and the rest of my family scattered. Nik stayed so he could help me bury her. He knew I had to say goodbye to my mother. After that, Elijah, Niklaus and I vowed to stick together, always and forever." She told them and Nat smiled sadly at that.

"Always and forever... even though he locked you in a coffin for ninety years?" Elena asked her, making Nat frown at her words.

"We're vampires. Our emotions are heightened. I'm stubborn, Elijah moral, and Nik... Nik has no tolerance for those who disappoint him. Over a thousand years as a family we've all made that mistake at least once. I've made it several times." She shrugged and Nat nodded, understanding her point perfectly. She didn't condone the hybrid's actions, but she understood where he came from.

"But you still love him?" Elena pressed on.

"He's my brother. And I'm immortal. Should I spend an eternity alone instead?" She retorted before sighing. "You've heard the story, it's time to go." She composed herself quickly. Elena made no move to leave, angering Rebekah. "I said leave, Elena! I don't know what you're up to, but I'm no longer playing along."

"I'm just looking for one good reason why we shouldn't wake Mikael."

"And I've given you a thousand! But you will anyway. I know you want him to help you kill my brother, I'm not stupid." She said angrily. Nat was on her side on this one, she didn't want to wake Mikael either, but the others would do it anyway.

"It's no secret that I want Klaus dead. He has a hold over Stefan's life and over mine." Elena snapped back.

"Do what you need. Wake Mikael at your own peril. But make no mistake, if you come after my brother, I will rip you apart." She threatens. "I have a feeling Natalia will not stand by idly either." Nat looked at her seriously, knowing that her words held some truth to it. She may not show it now, but if and when the time came, she knew she would fight to keep Klaus alive. Just like she had in the ritual. "And I get my temper from my father. Now leave!" Elena looked at her one last time before walking out the door, Nat in tow.

"We, uh, filled in what we could." Ric told Elena and Nat. They were with Bonnie and Ric in the Lockwood cellar listening to his explanation of the story. After they left the Boarding House, they drove in silence to the Lockwood cellar, neither talking about what had just happened. Ric stuck post-it notes to the different symbols as he showed them. "A vampire, werewolf, slaughter, mayhem, etc."

"That's the white oak tree that was used in the spell to create the vampires...which means that was when they burned down the tree, destroying the only way that they could be killed." Elena explained.

"Okay, so tree equals weapon, sort of. We already knew that. What we are not sure about is this: we've got the witch symbol, and what looks like a bleeding heart. Upside down figures usually signified death, of some kind." Ric explained both girls and Nat frowned at the little drawings.

"Mikael killed the witch by ripping out her heart. But... why is that one connected to the witch's death?" Nat asked Bonnie and she shook her head slowly.

"We don't know. We haven't gotten that far." She told them and Nat looked back at the drawings.

"Oh my God..." Elena whispered, making them turn their heads to her. "Rebekah doesn't know the real story." She realized before grabbing some pictures and turning around to leave the cave. Nat looks at Bonnie and Ric confused and follows Elena out.

"What's going on?" Nat asks Elena as they get out of the cave.

"We need to talk to her again." Elena tells her as she walks up the stairs of the cellar. Nat sighs in frustration but follows her anyways, knowing it would be better if she was with Elena at the moment. They walked over to the car and immediately got in, driving away from the Lockwood property. After some minutes, they arrived at the house and stepped outside of the car. Elena opened the door and walked to the library, Nat behind her.

"I thought I told you to leave. Twice." Rebekah said out loud as she poured herself a glass of scotch.

"How do you know that Mikael killed your mother?" She asked, ignoring her previous words.

"Nik was there. He told me." The blonde said matter of factly.

"He lied to you." Her sister shook her head and walked closer to her, Nat staying put and watching curiously.

"And how do you know that?"

"The cave where you carved your family's names is covered in symbols." She explained and placed the pictures on the table. "The story of your family: how your parents arrived, how they made peace, the spell that turned them into vampires, and this. This is the symbol for hybrid. It's a combination of the werewolf and the vampire symbol. And this is the one for your mother." She pointed at a picture and Rebekah looked at it carefully.

"Her necklace." The blonde realized. Nat walked closer to them slowly, wanting to know what Elena was getting at.

"And this is the story of her death. They hybrid killed the Original Witch. Not Mikael. Klaus." She stated clearly and Nat widened her eyes.

"No!" Rebekah exclaimed. "No, he wouldn't."

"She put the curse on him, made it so that he would be the only one of his kind, and then she rejected him." She told her before pointing at Nat. "She cursed the love of his life and killed her in a gruesome manner. With the werewolf gene comes aggression and violence...when he turned, all of that was heightened. He killed her, Rebekah. And then he made up this entire lie about your father, so that he wouldn't lose you." It actually made sense. Nat could see this was hurting Rebekah and shut her eyes, knowing this would not end well.

"These mean nothing! They're just stupid drawings, done by stupid people who had no idea who my family was!" Rebekah yelled loudly. She then took the pictures and teared them to pieces before throwing the into the burning fireplace.

"Then why are you so upset?" Elena asked.

"Elena, stop." Nat finally intervened, but her sister paid her no mind.

"Why are you doing this to me? I've done nothing to you!" The vampire yells, tears now covering her face.

"Klaus killed your mother. He has a hold on you, on me, on Nat, on everyone. He has for a thousand years. We have to make it stop!" Elena exclaimed and Rebekah snapped, grabbing her by the throat and vamping out. Nat jumped at the sudden movement and tried to do something.

"Rebekah-"

"Shut up! Shut up! Don't talk anymore! Nothing!" The vampire yells and both girls look at her afraid. She calms down slightly and lets go of Elena before falling onto her knees and sobbing loudly. Nat immediately walked over to her and kneeled down next to her, putting her arms around her friend comfortingly. She looked up and saw Elena looking at the blonde sadly and guiltily.

"Go." Nat mouthed and Elena looked at her hesitantly. She nodded slowly and Elena turned around, leaving Nat to console Rebekah. "It's okay, Bekah. I'm here." She said soothingly as the girl cried.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

212K 5.3K 48
One car crash changed her life forever. Jessica Gilbert was a normal teenage girl, she and her sister were cheerleaders, they had tons of friends, an...
220K 6.7K 24
"She's the embodiment of chaos itself-a combination of all her siblings, the worst parts of them. She's more vengeful than Klaus, more conniving than...
648K 16.8K 75
"You feel no remorse do you? You don't feel remorse for the people you've hurt, the people you've killed. They're just things to you." "That's not tr...
407 1 14
In this royalty AU, the beloved kind princess Elena Gilbert is to be betrothed to the infamous cruel prince Niklaus Mikaelson by means of marriage. T...