Entangled

By Kamilah90

"Do you have to only think about yourself? Do you even know how I feel being cramped up in this place? On sec... More

AGBÉ̩KẸ́
AGBÉ̩KẸ́
AGBÉ̩KẸ́
AGBÉ̩KẸ́
AGBÉ̩KẸ́
AGBÉ̩KẸ́
KHALID
AGBÉ̩KẸ́
KHALID & AGBÉ̩KẸ́
AGBÉ̩KẸ́
JAMILA & KHALID
AGBÉ̩KẸ́
AGBÉ̩KẸ́
KHALID

AGBÉ̩KẸ́ & KHALID

127 26 39
By Kamilah90

AGBÉ̩KẸ́

We ventured far from the palace, and with each step, a sense of relief washed over me, allowing me to savor the unfolding scene. As we neared what appeared to be the bustling heart of the city, the market unfolded before us in a vibrant spectacle. Stalls adorned with colorful fabrics sprawled out in every direction, forming a labyrinth of bustling commerce.

Vendors and traders proudly displayed their wares - from aromatic spices and intricately woven textiles to handcrafted pottery, gleaming jewelry, and exotic treasures. The air was thick with the heady fragrance of fragrant herbs, mingling with the lively symphony of bargaining and negotiation that filled the air.

Amidst the enticing aroma, the irresistible scent of cooking food tantalized my senses, stirring a deep hunger within me. My stomach rumbled in protest, a stark reminder of my recent lack of sustenance, overshadowed by the events involving the King.

In the winding streets, the locals clad in airy linen garments, much like mine, weaved through the vibrant market scene, their lively banter echoing against the walls of ancient buildings. Amidst the hustle and bustle, vendors proudly displayed their wares, extolling the virtues of their products with fervent enthusiasm.

I found myself captivated by the showcase of gold jewellery. In our homeland, beads were our adornment of choice, so this radiant collection piqued my interest. Despite being a shared people, the divergence in our lifestyles is genuinely intriguing. The allure of the jewellery stirred a longing to try them on. It's tragic; just months ago, I could have anything I desired, and now, affording a simple meal feels like an unattainable luxury.

Safiya grabbed my hand and pulled me through the energetic crowd until we found ourselves amid a lively circle. I couldn't help but feel excited as I watched a spirited wrestling match unfold, with the arena filled with enthusiastic spectators placing bets and chanting eagerly.

Deciding to leave the palace was a great choice. As we ventured further, exploring the hidden gems of the city, we eventually found ourselves seated at a quaint restaurant, savoring the simple pleasure of a shared meal.

"You know, when I first heard a princess was going to be a maid at the palace, I had mixed feelings about you. But when we met, you were super nice, and I genuinely started to like you. This new life must be tough, but you can handle it well without showing weakness. Just want you to know you've got a friend in me."

A warm sensation enveloped my heart, making it hard to articulate my emotions, but I'm sure they are positive. Every word she uttered felt sincere, dispelling my doubt about trusting her. With a genuine smile, I express my gratitude.

"Thank you"-perhaps the first honest smile since my arrival.

She reciprocated my smile. "We should head back to the palace; the sun is starting to set."

"There's one last place I'd like to visit before we return."

"Where?"

"The construction site of the temples."

"Why the construction site?" she inquired,

"I want to see how my people are doing." I replied, my voice tinged with determination

"To ensure we reach the palace on schedule, we should leave for the construction site immediately," Safiya insisted, her concern evident in her voice. "Just remember, your pass won't grant us entry there."

"I'll figure something out," I replied, my mind already whirring with possibilities. Despite Safiya's scepticism, I couldn't let this opportunity slip through my fingers. This was my chance to reconnect with my roots, and I was determined to seize it, even if it meant bending a few rules along the way.

"What kind of plan?" she asked, appearing perplexed and sceptical. "I'll improvise on the way," I responded, realizing this might be my only opportunity to see them. This prompts the need for a strategic plan.

My jaw fell open as I beheld the temple. When the King mentioned the significant cost, I never anticipated this grandeur. It wasn't merely giant but colossal, with towering pillars that seemed to touch the sky. I could only envision the vast and breathtaking interior. The construction site was abuzz with countless slaves managing bricks, wood, and more; I felt an urgency to find my people within, realizing time was slipping away as the sun descended.

The place was swarming with soldiers, making me wonder if my plan would work. Still, I signalled Safiya to initiate our plan. She smoothly chatted with the guards at the temple entrance, allowing me to slip inside unnoticed. Everything was going well until a higher-ranking soldier showed up; you could tell he was necessary by how he was dressed and how the other soldiers respected him.

"Hey! What are you doing there? Leave! This is a construction site, not a brothel. If you're looking to sell your body, wait until the sun goes down." He spat.

As the high-ranking soldier's menacing words hung in the air, a surge of adrenaline coursed through my veins. I stood my ground, refusing to cower in the face of his threats.

"How dare you! Even a simple bird knows better than to utter the nonsense that just came out of your mouth."

Safiya hurried to my side, tugging gently at my clothes, a clear warning that I was heading towards regrettable actions. Sometimes, I forget I'm no longer a princess, just an ordinary person, and it saddens me to witness the unfair treatment commoners endure.

The high-ranking soldier was visibly stunned by my words. His dark eyes narrowed, and his jaw clenched. It was evident that no one had spoken to him like I had.

"You must be eager for punishment; I'd happily give you what you want. You'll regret this moment. I'll ensure those pretty lips of yours never speak again. Guards! Get them."

At that moment, I realized I had plunged myself into deeper trouble. "Run!" Safiya screamed. We both sprinted in different directions as the soldiers chased after us.

Huddled beneath the merchant's table, my heart pounded in my chest like a drumbeat of impending doom. I dared not make a sound, every nerve on edge as I listened for any sign of pursuit. Through the cracks in the wooden slats above me, I watched the bustling marketplace with wary eyes, praying that the soldiers would pass me by.

As the adrenaline-fueled rush began to ebb, the reality of my situation sank in like an anchor dragging me down. I had acted rashly, driven by a reckless impulse to defy the King and seek answers. But in doing so, I had only succeeded in placing myself-and Safiya-in even greater danger.

Guilt gnawed at my conscience like a relentless predator, each heartbeat a painful reminder of the consequences of my actions. Had I put Safiya's life at risk? Was she now paying the price for my foolishness?

I pushed aside the fabric of the merchant's table, peering out into the bustling marketplace with anxious eyes. Safiya was out there somewhere, alone and exposed to the dangers that lurked in the shadows. I couldn't leave her to face this ordeal on her own.

"Thank you," I said to the merchant, glancing around and realizing I had no idea where I was. Asking for directions became my next goal before I felt moisture on my face, and within seconds, the rain started pouring heavily.

People began to run, seeking shelter. They were all gone in minutes, leaving me nowhere as the rain hit. I took refuge under a shade, with a shiver, I wrapped Safiya's cloak tighter around me, grateful for its warmth amidst the biting chill of the storm.

The sun had vanished beneath the horizon, leaving only the moon to cast its pale light upon the world below. My thoughts turned to Safiya. I wondered if she had been captured or had managed to escape. It was crucial to reach the palace before the King noticed my absence; I had promised Safiya she would avoid trouble or lose her job.

Praying she made it home safely, I covered myself with the cloak and braved the rain, navigating my way to the palace. It shouldn't be so challenging if only my sense of direction were better, and the rain wasn't obscuring my vision-I was confident I could make it to the palace.

Lost in a labyrinth of unfamiliar alleys and winding pathways, I knew I needed to find my way back before the King noticed my absence. But as the rain intensified, drenching me to the bone, my hopes of navigating my way to the palace dwindled with each passing moment.

The rain was losing intensity, but I was cold, exhausted, and aching after walking for hours. Each step was a struggle, my weary limbs protesting against the relentless march of time. The weight of exhaustion bore down upon me like a heavy burden, threatening to drag me into the abyss of unconsciousness.

As I stumbled forward, my vision blurred and my senses dulled by fatigue. Collapsing to the ground, I teetered on the edge of losing consciousness. Before succumbing entirely, I managed to discern figures with torches approaching. Were they friend or foe? I could only hope for the former

KHALID

As I sit at my desk, surrounded by stacks of paperwork and the hum of the office around me, I attempt to bury myself in my tasks, desperate to escape the whirlwind of emotions that Agbé̩kẹ́'s presence has stirred within me. But like a persistent shadow, memories of our recent encounter refuse to be ignored.

I find myself replaying every moment, from the charged atmosphere when I pretended anger to assert dominance, to the dangerous proximity that left me fighting against the urge to lean in and kiss her soft lips. Each recollection is like a vivid painting etched into my mind, refusing to fade with time.

But amidst the turmoil of conflicting emotions, one image stands out with stark clarity - Agbé̩kẹ́'s frightened expression as she recoiled from me. The wave of guilt that washes over me is almost suffocating, a heavy burden that I cannot shake off.

I try to convince myself that it's merely a struggle to establish boundaries, a battle against temptation. Yet, deep down, I know it's more than that. With a sinking realization, I acknowledge the unsettling truth: I am developing feelings for her, feelings that I can no longer deny.

It's a revelation that fills me with both fear and longing. I despise the uncontrollable sensations that arise whenever she's near, the way my heart races at the mere thought of her. And despite my best efforts to resist, I find myself drawn to her like a moth to a flame.

I am consumed by an overwhelming curiosity, a desire to unravel the layers of her enigmatic personality. And even now, as I sit alone in the dimly lit office, all I can think about is her.

Summoning the courage to seek her out, I made my way to her quarters, heart pounding with anticipation as I rapped gently on her door, hoping to hear the sweet sound of her voice in response. Yet, only silence greeted me, leaving me with a sense of unease.

Drawing upon memories of her past whereabouts, my steps led me to the grand halls of the Royal Library. As I wandered amidst towering shelves filled with ancient tomes and whispered secrets.

Amidst scanning every servant I encountered, I realized she was unmistakable in a crowd - her distinctive face, the allure of her hair, and the grace of her figure made her stand out effortlessly.

Despite traversing each aisle of books, there was no sign of her.

"Your Majesty, everyone awaits you in the throne room," Khufu spoke, breaking my thoughts for I had become lost in a maze of my own desires

It had completely slipped my mind that I had summoned the ministers for a crucial meeting, one where I intended to propose hosting a grand tournament to gather money for the completion of the temple.

"Find out where Agbé̩kẹ́ is," I ordered hastily, my mind preoccupied with the pressing matters at hand. Walking to the throne room, a subtle curiosity lingered about Rashidi's prolonged absence from the palace. His trip to his hometown seemed to be stretching longer than initially anticipated, a fact that did not escape my notice.

Jamila's voice cut through the ambient hum like a knife. Dressed in a gown of vibrant yellow that accentuated her curves, she exuded a confidence that was unsettling.

"Your Majesty, you look as handsome as ever," she purred, her smile like honeyed poison, tempting and dangerous. Her words, though flattering, were met with a steely resolve as I reminded her of the boundaries I had set.

"I thought I made myself clear - I don't want to see you here again," I stated firmly, my tone brooking no argument.But Jamila, ever the master of manipulation, stepped closer, her voice a whisper against my ear. "You instructed me not to visit you, not to cease coming to the palace. There's a distinction, Your Majesty,

You can't rid yourself of me; I know you desire me. I'm the only one who can fulfill the satisfaction you crave. I'll be waiting for you," she declared. With that, she swept past me, curtseying in departure, a vision of cunning, leaving me to grapple with the unsettling weight of her words.

The meeting concluded swiftly, the weight of responsibility pressing heavily upon my shoulders, yet my thoughts remained consumed by Agbé̩kẹ́'s absence. Since our troubling encounter, she had vanished from sight, leaving a lingering sense of unease.

"What do you mean you didn't find her?" My voice, edged with frustration, sliced through the air, drawing the attention of nearby palace servants who exchanged anxious glances.

"Your Majesty, I have searched the whole palace; she is nowhere to be found," Khufu replied, his tone tinged with concern mirroring my own.

A wave of panic surged within me. Did she run away? The notion seemed implausible, given Agbé̩kẹ́'s sharp wit and intelligence, especially with the relentless downpour outside. Yet, despite my attempts to quell the rising fear, I found myself consumed by thoughts of her safety.

I hurried to my room, shedding the regal attire for something more mundane. "Come with me," I instructed Khufu, determination etched into every line of my face as I emerged from my room.

"Your Majesty, forgive me, but I don't think leaving the palace is a good idea," Khufu protested, his concern palpable in his words.

"So you expect me to do nothing?" I retorted, my own apprehension betraying the facade of composure I sought to maintain. In that moment, all that mattered was Agbé̩kẹ́'s well-being, the uncertainty of her whereabouts haunting my every thought.

"Yes, Your Majesty. She is just an ordinary servant, and it doesn't seem fitting for the King to leave the palace to search for a maid. Khufu responded with a firm resolve. Yet, beneath his stoic facade, I could sense the flicker of concern mirrored in his eyes. I

"In the absence of General Rashidi, I must ensure you refrain from making impulsive decisions." Khufu continued, his tone measured yet filled with underlying apprehension.

In that moment, I cared little for Agbé̩kẹ́'s status as a mere servant; all I yearned for was the sight of her safe and unharmed. Despite the urgency gnawing at my insides, I knew Khufu spoke wisdom. Rash decisions could lead to unintended consequences, especially in times of uncertainty.

"I assure you, Your Majesty, I will find her," Khufu assured, his determination unwavering even in the face of my mounting anxiety.

"Find her," I instructed, my voice tinged with urgency. "She couldn't have gone far. Dispatch guards to every corner of the city. Bring her to me the moment you find her."

As he departed, I could only hope and pray that Agbé̩kẹ́ would be returned to me unharmed, her safety paramount above all else.

As Khufu swept into the chamber, a flurry of concern seized me, freezing my frantic pacing in its tracks. My heart clenched as I beheld her limp form, cradled tenderly in his arms, unconscious and pallid.

"Summon the healer at once!" My voice reverberated off the stone walls, laced with urgency and dread, as Khufu laid her gently upon my bed, her skin hot to the touch, drenched with sweat. Guilt twisted in my gut like a serpent; I knew I had pushed her too far.

"Quickly, she's burning up! Where is the healer?" Panic laced my words.

Amidst the chaos, the healer materialized, a beacon of hope amidst the storm of my distress. But my gaze remained fixed upon her, my hand reaching out to brush against her feverish brow, seeking solace in the warmth of her skin.

"Your Majesty, let me take a look at her." The healer arrived. but my eyes didn't leave her; worry consumed me. After a few moments of the healer inspecting her, my impatience bubbled beneath the surface, demanding answers, reassurance.

"Tell me, is she going to be alright? Speak!" My words erupted like a volcano, fueled by the molten fear that coursed through my veins.

With measured calmness, the healer spoke,
"She will recover, Your Majesty. I have administered treatment to quell the fever. All she needs now is rest. It seems she was in the rain for a long time."

Relief washed over me like a cool breeze, tempering the fires of anxiety that raged within. And though fear still lingered in the healer's gaze, I understood his trepidation, for even I trembled at the thought of what could have been.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

239 31 16
€£¥ "The world isn't all sunshine and rainbows, princess." He growls at me and then spits on the ground revealing blood. What is that supposed...
97.3K 6.9K 63
An average girl,neglected and hurt decided to break free and find her true self ,transferred to Royalty King college thinking she would live a normal...
271 50 18
The story revolves around Ariel and her love interest, will she ever be able to express her feelings and will she ever come to know that her love int...
116 0 9
"I will always come back. When you think I'm no longer there, when you feel the absence of my presence. I will be there" ALTHELIA Vacation is sadly...